Products > Test Equipment

Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread

<< < (22402/25096) > >>

WastelandTek:

--- Quote from: Specmaster on January 23, 2022, 06:07:52 pm ---
I just find doing anything with gloves on is a real chore, so they only get used if there is a real health hazard.

--- End quote ---

I don't disagree...but the definition of "real" tends to move over time.  We have a strong track record of being cavalier with substances that turn out to be pretty harmful.

mansaxel:

--- Quote from: Neper on January 23, 2022, 08:07:36 pm ---
--- Quote from: Cerebus on January 23, 2022, 06:28:05 pm ---That is handling anything one would classify as "yucky" (like cleaning out the dustbin) or physically sticky.
--- End quote ---

I'd like to add mineral wool to the list. The kind they use in loudspeakers. Makes me want to scratch myself to the moon and back if I only see the stuff.

--- End quote ---

Try insulating a house with it. Or piping. I've done both and I do not like it, even if it is quite useful, and has saved me a lot of trouble. In an attempt at being a bit English, our house has rain gutter piping that goes from the roof, through the house, and then out under it, in free air.  (The house is on plinths.) This means that the piping needs to be insulated under the house, because if it ain't the snow's going to melt on the roof, become water (duhh), keep warm through the house, and then exit under the house, in the shadow, where it will freeze solid in the piping.  Now; it doesn't, not anymore...  Thankfully enough, you can buy readymade matting of glass fibre wool with a chicken wire backing. Most useful.

Cerebus:

--- Quote from: Cerebus on January 23, 2022, 06:28:05 pm ---That is handling anything one would classify as "yucky" (like cleaning out the dustbin) or physically sticky.
--- End quote ---

I'd like to add mineral wool to the list. The kind they use in loudspeakers. Makes me want to scratch myself to the moon and back if I only see the stuff.

--- End quote ---

I think fibreglass, mineral wool, and all their cousins fall under Spec's category of genuine health hazards. Most industrial insulating materials of that ilk (e.g. for kilns and the like) have moved to 'body soluble' materials because of the potentially serious health hazards associated with having little bits of mineral fibre stuck in your skin, lungs, etc. Contact with materials of uncertain origin, like the roof insulation that someone else fitted 30 years ago, should definitely be treated as hazardous. Even the ones that are 'safer' are still irritating as hell and are best handled not with gloves, but by somebody else.

dl6lr:

--- Quote from: Martin Miranda on January 23, 2022, 05:12:37 pm --- :-+ :-+ :-+ *add to cart* THANKS!
https://cpc.farnell.com/duratool/d00672/desoldering-station-uk-eu-plug/dp/SD01384

--- End quote ---

Be sure to modify the tool according to the ZD-915 thread here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/zd-915-(ss-331)-conversion-to-24v-and-other-tweaks/

Neomys Sapiens:

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
I know a very effective therapy for that! I did once spend several weeks at a production plant of Rockwool(tm). After about two weeks of scratching, you care no more.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version