Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 15311131 times)

eric_techstuffs, Vince, URI and 21 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Per Hansson

• Supporter
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #114150 on: February 20, 2022, 05:16:56 pm »
This other week I decided to change the resistors for the HV multiplier in my Tektronix 2215.
They have component designation: R878, R879, R880, R881, R882, and R884.
Only after did I realize that the originals where not carbon composition but film resistors.
So it was a pointless endeavor and they all measured fine, but hey, it's pictures of Tek gear so how can you complain? ;)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114151 on: February 20, 2022, 05:30:31 pm »
The AVO in-circuit transistor tester (alleged in-circuit transistor destroyer) from Britain is here. Accessories are complete, condition is mint. The mention of 3 1.5V batteries got me alarmed, but they were not fitted and had not misbehaved before.  :phew:
Need to read into that description and will show it when an occasion for it's use arises.

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #114152 on: February 20, 2022, 05:38:17 pm »
This other week I decided to change the resistors for the HV multiplier in my Tektronix 2215.
Only after did I realize that the originals where not carbon composition but film resistors.
So it was a pointless endeavor and they all measured fine, but hey, it's pictures of Tek gear so how can you complain? ;)

Don't worry, there's lots of other carbon comp resistors in there to poke at. :D I often find them to be out of spec in the gear I repair.
I would be careful about swapping them out, just be sure they won't affect the adjustment of the scope (unless you can readjust it).

Also, I HATE those blue top trimpots. They have always been faulty and crap in my TM500 modules. Often the grey top ones aren't much better. I usually replace them with Bourns multiturn trimpots to allow me to really dial in the adjustments.
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Online mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #114153 on: February 20, 2022, 05:49:55 pm »
FreeBSD server now is a very happy 13.0-RELEASE-p7 machine that knows about all its volume groups. (on a ZFS system, I always name the system zpool "rootvg" for obvious, attractive raven black reasons) Took a few hours of googling and iDRAC console waiting. Mostly waiting with a mounting sense of panic. Once I had a booting kernel and a single user prompt, I knew I had a path forward.

Only middle managers downgrade out of a problem. Engineers upgrade out of a problem.

Also won manuals for 8020A and 8060A, 20 SEK (1€90c) each.

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #114154 on: February 20, 2022, 06:24:57 pm »
If anyone here has a Tek P6015A HV probe, can you take a peek inside and let me know the value of trimpot R7?

I'm designing my own replacement compensation box for my P6015 to give me Tekprobe functions and better adjustability with silicone oil (plus my BNC is a bit broken) etc. and the schematic on the Tekwiki is crap.
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Online Per Hansson

• Supporter
« Reply #114155 on: February 20, 2022, 07:06:39 pm »

Don't worry, there's lots of other carbon comp resistors in there to poke at. :D I often find them to be out of spec in the gear I repair.
I would be careful about swapping them out, just be sure they won't affect the adjustment of the scope (unless you can readjust it).
Thanks, out of disappointment I did measure all the carbon composition resistors when I realized my mistake.
But they all measured fine in circuit :)
I did replace one years ago in the power supply, but that was its own endeavour linked below:)
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/tektronix-2215-scope-repair/msg1825364/#msg1825364

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #114156 on: February 20, 2022, 07:22:56 pm »
yup. Would not bid more, got too much stuff already.
- Continued with my small arcade
- had a huge bummer wrt potential buyer of the appartment called and declined
- will need to contact realtor tomorrow
- set up ultrasonic and started disassembling the Dracula pb. Which btw was called back into life by a heart transplant. (I mounted a spare CPU board)

Not feeling that great, winter blues.

That sounds like the werewolves calling their Dracula out to play / dinner  :-DD

Here, see my wolf at work:

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #114157 on: February 20, 2022, 07:47:40 pm »
Mmmokayyy...

We have emptied out and loaded up; now treating ourselves to Farmer Plates and grits at Bob Evans.

The beefheart beast Saturn started right up; just reconnected the battery and hit the key no jumpstart.  :-+ Brakes are a little noisy/rusty; other than that all seems optimal (knock on wood).

Right now I'm pumping myself up with 3 different kinds of coffee in hopes of making at least half the return trip today; what they had at the Holiday Inn... calling it  burnt moose pee would be charitable.  :palm:

A'aight... Food's here. All y'alls be good; we don't need another Toaster Incident... :o

mnem
rawwwrrr! means Ooooh... Buttermilk biscuits and honey! Yummmm!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2022, 08:31:34 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114158 on: February 20, 2022, 08:11:19 pm »
Here, see my wolf at work:

Googling things? Shouldn't Fenrir just ask Hugin or Munin?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2022, 08:14:46 pm by Cerebus »
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Neper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #114159 on: February 20, 2022, 08:33:03 pm »
calling it  burnt moose pee would be charitable.

The French call it jus de chaussettes... sock juice.
If I knew everything I'd be starving because no-one could afford me.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Kosmic

Online mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #114160 on: February 20, 2022, 08:33:45 pm »

That depends; Only if Oden has given permission.

Mythological backstory: FRA / The National Defense Radio Establishment, our SIGINT organisation, has always had the raven close; the two DC-3 planes FRA and the Air Force flew SIGINT missions with during the 50s were called Hugin and Munin. (Hugin was shot down with loss of all crew by a MIG-15 in 1952, which was a secret until 1991; the plane was found and lifted from the bottom of the Baltic sea in 2003.). The raven is pretty common around the FRA campus just outside Stockholm.

Also, MUST, our military intelligence organisation, has the raven on its shoulder patch. Rarely worn on mission, I assume.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114161 on: February 20, 2022, 08:52:11 pm »

That depends; Only if Oden has given permission.

Mythological backstory: FRA / The National Defense Radio Establishment, our SIGINT organisation, has always had the raven close; the two DC-3 planes FRA and the Air Force flew SIGINT missions with during the 50s were called Hugin and Munin. (Hugin was shot down with loss of all crew by a MIG-15 in 1952, which was a secret until 1991; the plane was found and lifted from the bottom of the Baltic sea in 2003.). The raven is pretty common around the FRA campus just outside Stockholm.

Also, MUST, our military intelligence organisation, has the raven on its shoulder patch. Rarely worn on mission, I assume.

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114162 on: February 20, 2022, 08:53:03 pm »
Hmm I'm getting a "divide by Discord" error message...

@factory, was it you that was interested in that TDR that keeps getting relisted? The current price is giving my trigger finger twitches...

EDIT: Yes Specmaster, it's Saturday, now stop painting yer bleedin' banister!

It was, I think it's quite near me too, so would pick up to avoid snapped off handle syndrome.

David

Someone's stuck a bid on it, hope it's you, 'cos it ain't me.

Second bid is mine, I thought it might attract more interest now the price has dropped a bit.  :-\

David

Online mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #114163 on: February 20, 2022, 08:55:51 pm »
Stomp box update:

Drilling has been completed. We had to stop fitting components in the box because it's school tomorrow and bedtime loomed.

I concur with Cerebus' "porridge" (or what it was) verdict regarding the alloy Hammond are using. It is quite soft.  But, using 2mm pilot spiral drill (Gühring, IIRC) into punch marks and then step drilling to 12mm for the footswitch gave a perfect hole with smooth edges. No deburring needed at all. In comparison, the smaller holes for phone jacks, pots, toggles, and DC jack, varying between 4,5mm and 9mm, were all drilled with various spiral drills, some SKF, some noname, some Walter "Titex", and gave sharper edges that required a few turns with the Noga deburrer, but all were nicely circular and to dimension.

All of this of course was in the Ixxion drill press, a "boutique tiny" tabletop model, three-phase of course. Mostly low rpms; I think the step drill went at about 480rpm, and the others perhaps 850.

I'm going to fit the PCB between blocks of styrofoam and also insulate it with a heavy duty plastic sheet, because the toggle switches are protruding quite a bit into the box. 

I still have 9 PCB's left, so am contemplating selling component kits online. I've got a start on a building instructions document; praising the virtues of a large TE collection:

Measurement instruments: You must have the ability to
measure AC and DC Volts, resistance and DC current.  A digital
multimeter with 3200 counts display will probably be OK.

Verification of function will be considerably easier if you can
generate tone, look at tone, measure frequency, and check capacitance
and resistance. I collect test equipment, and I used 2 multimeters,
two oscilloscopes, a distortion analyser, a low-distortion tone
generator, a DC clamp Ampère meter, a frequency counter, and a LCR
meter.

If you're getting only one instrument beyond the multimeter,
try for the scope. Literally any scope in existence will be good
enough: A 10MHz analog scope will do. One channel is OK.

As third instrument I would suggest a tone generator. It should
at least do sine waves at audio frequency, and able to have an
output level of about 100mV.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114164 on: February 20, 2022, 09:27:29 pm »
just blew 200 Pesos on pinball spares and consumables ...
started to take the Dracula apart to properly clean it.

Anybody got a 50l ultrasonic for me ? my 10l is a bit small ...

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114165 on: February 20, 2022, 09:29:28 pm »

Remember this is that well known oxymoron military intelligence, so yeah, they probably do wear it on mission.  :)

Online mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #114166 on: February 20, 2022, 09:43:33 pm »

Remember this is that well known oxymoron military intelligence, so yeah, they probably do wear it on mission.  :)

My very limited experience with Those People gives me the impression that they very much know their job. Not to be underestimated.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #114167 on: February 20, 2022, 09:51:45 pm »

The reputation for oxymoronic nomenclature is largely unfair; usually it's the people in government they have to talk to that think they are exaggerating, or don't take them seriously when they give probabilities lower than 100%. Usually.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Online ch_scr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #114168 on: February 20, 2022, 09:57:05 pm »

My very limited experience with Those People gives me the impression that they very much know their job. Not to be underestimated.
Seems the proverb Flachwitz is really writing itself on this one...
Ever heard of the Swedish Intelligence Service? No? See, that's how good they are.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114169 on: February 20, 2022, 10:01:38 pm »
I concur with Cerebus' "porridge" (or what it was) verdict regarding the alloy Hammond are using. ctions document; praising the virtues of a large TE collection:

"Gummy" was the word I used, it was fouling the edges of all the cutting tools I used on it (like pure copper does). But, a couple of days later I got to the filing out of the odd (i.e. not circular) shaped holes and unlike most aluminium and Al alloys it hardly loaded up the files at all. In fact it was a pleasure to file.

Normally with aluminium (alloy) there's a risk that if I don't hit my files with a file card every few strokes (or do the french chalk trick) they load up with filings and stop cutting, then take ten minutes cleaning to get unloaded. Doesn't bother the bastards, but 2nd cut or finer it almost always happens with aluminium. Not this time.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114170 on: February 20, 2022, 10:07:07 pm »

I never got to know my father in law well but was a bit surprised that he seemed to understand some of my test equipment. As far as I knew then he had been a landscape gardener and then a purchasing manager for a public utility. After he died, going through his belonings I discovered he had been in the USAF and was a "back-seater" in EC-47s (US military "electronics" version of DC3) His medals included a DFC but the citation was mostly redacted as were most of his service records. The was a lis of some equipment "AN"numbers he had been trained on. This was mostly COMINT and ELINT kit.
You just never know what people have done in the past.
https://www.ec47.com/index.php

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al, BILLPOD

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #114171 on: February 20, 2022, 10:17:43 pm »

Military intellignce? Rainbow Warrior, springs to mind
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #114172 on: February 20, 2022, 10:20:46 pm »
OK not true TE but close, high voltage and electron tube and with WAF so high it is in the kitchen 👍
Tube is long life type so burn in is not an issue - well in my remaining time in the light spectrum.
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, med6753, mnementh, exor, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114173 on: February 20, 2022, 10:45:37 pm »
in my first job we had very nice R&S equipment and knew our adversaries by their voice, their communication, their location, their   ... I digress ...

Online ch_scr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #114174 on: February 20, 2022, 11:25:30 pm »
in my first job we had very nice R&S equipment and knew our adversaries by their voice, their communication, their location, their   ... I digress ...
I believe it's rather "What goes around, comes around", than anyone in particular at the helm
But  :-// so just  :popcorn: and hope the eschaton isn't immanentized tomorrow

The following users thanked this post: Neper

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf