Products > Test Equipment

Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread

<< < (23991/25062) > >>

mnementh:

--- Quote from: Saskia on May 17, 2022, 01:51:14 pm ---@mnem
Userfriendly has gone offline permanently it seems. RIP Erwin, Pietr, Sid, ....
--- End quote ---
Yes, sadly Illiad has had a lot of IRL to deal with, and the cartoon has been in reruns-only mode for over a decade. I know he has said he mostly kept the lights on to keep the forums running which are still active among some diehard fans and those who like the space because it is "a mostly forgotten corner of the www"...

I suspect usage dwindled to the point where it was costing money instead of making money or at least supporting itself, and he had no choice but to pull the plug.  :-\

1st strip: https://web.archive.org/web/20220225094808/http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=19971117

While it will still be archived on the Wayback Machine, my experience with comic strips there has been pretty unsatisfactory... their archiving scripts are optimized to grab as much as possible while using as little storage as possible, so things can get disjointed. And of course, WbM's colossal latency due to the enormous amount stored in their archives.

One member at Hacker News has posted his archive of the strip itself from 1997-2013 here:

https://mega.nz/file/GKQQVbTY#1QmzfH7r2LAilAZU2RixI4yp-9IU6QS_-ppaHyXmVQU

No idea how long it will remain available; if it gets slammed, he may have to take it down.

For those who have no idea  :wtf: we're on aboot, here's the Wiki:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_Friendly#cite_note-2

UserFriendly was one of my first regularly viewed webcomics... along with General Protection Fault, Sluggy Freelance, Goats, and College Roomies From Hell... plus dozens of others I cannot recall right now... they helped me stave off "On the RoofTop With a Rifle" mode for most of my "professional engineer" life.  :-DD

Much as we all have a soft spot for Dilbert, he was like... "the sanitized for primetime TV" version of most of what I read as a twenty-to-thirtysomething...  :o

EDIT: *sound of a PFY knocking on the door with a shovel*

"Oh, hi Simon... yes, yes, yes... I promise, a complete oversight... you don't need the shovel, and here's a little something for your trouble... Oh, right... for the PFY too..."

Ahem... yes. We mustn't forget the Bastard Operator from Hell...

mnem
*plays a funeral dirge on waxpaper and comb kazoo*

Cerebus:

--- Quote from: McBryce on May 17, 2022, 02:44:27 pm ---
--- Quote from: Specmaster on May 17, 2022, 11:57:59 am ---
--- Quote from: McBryce on May 17, 2022, 11:20:46 am ---
--- Quote from: Specmaster on May 17, 2022, 10:46:50 am ---Hmm, good luck trying to steer cars from the VW stable when the electrics fail. My steering is impossible to turn the wheel with no electrics and the car is stationary, and no its that I'm too weak to do it, hell I used to drive and service buses that no power steering on them at all, and they weighed in at 8 tons. I could turn the wheels on them when stationary even.

--- End quote ---

It's almost impossible to turn the steering on any stationary vehicle without assist and on top of that the manufacturers have made it more difficult in modern vehicles by changing the ratios of the mechanical steering. When the car is moving you should still be able to steer, just more effort is involved.

McBryce.

--- End quote ---
All I know is that with the ignition on but the engine not running I'm unable to turn my steering wheel. My steering is electrical assist and not hydraulic. Had it been hydraulic that would explain it, but with the engine running I can turn the steering wheel with ease. As to if I can or can't turn the wheel when the car is moving, I have no idea, but would certainly have expected that to be the case for safety sake. That said, I seriously doubt that it would be safe to continue driving without the restoration of the power assistance.

--- End quote ---

In cars there are (at least) 3 defined power states:
B+ = Things permanently connected to the battery (these have sleep modes to avoid draining the battery)
KL15 = Things that get powered with ignition on but without a running engine.
KL30 = Things that only get powered when the engine is running.

Power steering, A/C, heated windscreen and other heavy loads don't get powered until the engine is running. So your power steering is still off if the engine isn't running.

McBryce.

--- End quote ---

I beg to differ:

First off these aren't states they're signals or power supply terminals/circuits ("KL" is literally a German abbreviation for terminal/connector - Klemme). Secondly they are (DIN 72552 plus some common industry designations):

KL30 battery positive, permanently connected aka B+
KL31 battery negative, permanently connected aka B-
KL30F battery positive, permanently connected but may be disconnected under 'F'ault conditions
KL30B battery positive, only powered when "driver present" (typically activated by the door being unlocked)
KLR Ignition on position 1 (radio and accessories powered)
KL15 Ignition on position 2 (ready to start/running)
KL50 Ignition on position 3 (engine start signal/starter motor engaged)

Zucca:

--- Quote from: Cerebus on May 17, 2022, 04:15:49 pm ---KL30 battery positive, permanently connected aka B+
KL30F battery positive, permanently connected but may be disconnected under 'F'ault conditions
KL30B battery positive, only powered when "driver present" (typically activated by the door being unlocked)

--- End quote ---

The good old times, starting from 2018 they developed a wonderful new state machine algo that decide and specify all the aboves.  :horse:
Don't ask for details, you do not want to know them.

med6753:
More re-cap work on the Type 547.

This time C771 and C773A/B/C. These capacitors provide additional filtering and decoupling to the Vertical plug-in.

Pulled C771. Left C773A/B/C in place. Original C771 was 2 x 40uf/250V in parallel. Replaced with single 82uf/250V. C773A was 40uf/250V. Replaced with 47uf/250V. C773B was 20uf/350V. Replaced with 22uf/350V. C773C was 20uf/450V. Replaced with 22uf/450V.

This completes the restoration and re-cap work. Checked the -150V reference and in spec. All PSU voltages in spec. As usual sharp trace. Next step is final calibration then project complete.

McBryce:

--- Quote from: Cerebus on May 17, 2022, 04:15:49 pm ---
--- Quote from: McBryce on May 17, 2022, 02:44:27 pm ---
--- Quote from: Specmaster on May 17, 2022, 11:57:59 am ---
--- Quote from: McBryce on May 17, 2022, 11:20:46 am ---
--- Quote from: Specmaster on May 17, 2022, 10:46:50 am ---Hmm, good luck trying to steer cars from the VW stable when the electrics fail. My steering is impossible to turn the wheel with no electrics and the car is stationary, and no its that I'm too weak to do it, hell I used to drive and service buses that no power steering on them at all, and they weighed in at 8 tons. I could turn the wheels on them when stationary even.

--- End quote ---

It's almost impossible to turn the steering on any stationary vehicle without assist and on top of that the manufacturers have made it more difficult in modern vehicles by changing the ratios of the mechanical steering. When the car is moving you should still be able to steer, just more effort is involved.

McBryce.

--- End quote ---
All I know is that with the ignition on but the engine not running I'm unable to turn my steering wheel. My steering is electrical assist and not hydraulic. Had it been hydraulic that would explain it, but with the engine running I can turn the steering wheel with ease. As to if I can or can't turn the wheel when the car is moving, I have no idea, but would certainly have expected that to be the case for safety sake. That said, I seriously doubt that it would be safe to continue driving without the restoration of the power assistance.

--- End quote ---

In cars there are (at least) 3 defined power states:
B+ = Things permanently connected to the battery (these have sleep modes to avoid draining the battery)
KL15 = Things that get powered with ignition on but without a running engine.
KL30 = Things that only get powered when the engine is running.

Power steering, A/C, heated windscreen and other heavy loads don't get powered until the engine is running. So your power steering is still off if the engine isn't running.

McBryce.

--- End quote ---

I beg to differ:

First off these aren't states they're signals or power supply terminals/circuits ("KL" is literally a German abbreviation for terminal/connector - Klemme). Secondly they are (DIN 72552 plus some common industry designations):

KL30 battery positive, permanently connected aka B+

--- End quote ---

Sorry, you are of course 100% correct. Shame on me for slapping a half-hearted post together on a mobile phone at the traffic lights.
To be honest, I haven't had to use or work with these terms for many many years. I just push paper these days.

McBryce.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version