Products > Test Equipment

Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread

<< < (24091/25808) > >>

Specmaster:

--- Quote from: med6753 on May 23, 2022, 12:24:49 pm ---

One comment then I need coffee. Unique food consumption. George Carlin once said: Americans will eat anything. If you served sauteed raccoon's asshole on a stick they would eat it. Especially dipped in butter.

--- End quote ---
Many a true word is spoken in jest,  :-DD :-DD

tggzzz:

--- Quote from: bd139 on May 23, 2022, 08:02:27 am ---
--- Quote from: tggzzz on May 23, 2022, 06:56:32 am ---Eating horse is a cultural no-no in the UK.

Having said that, I remember a butcher that sold horse meat for human consumption in Kingston-upon-Thames market place. Can't find any reference to it, though

--- End quote ---

It's not a particularly nice meat.

As for Kingston, there's a guy selling all sorts of weird meat in there still to this day. You can get ostrich burgers, zebra steaks and alligator meat for example.

--- End quote ---

That's not weird; many local farm shops sell that kind of thing frozen.

But back in the 60s chicken was an unusual meat, reserved for treats. Meat normally meant beef, pork, lamb, and their offal - and except for frozen NZealand lamb it was home produced. Fish was
cod, haddock, plaice, herring, pilchards, and rock salmon. Everything else caught was sold to the more knowledgeble French.

Horse meat was merely another domestic meat, one normally reserved for pet food - just as Dartmoor ponies are today.

--- Quote ---Edit: oh meant to mention something grim I saw on the way to Dunstable. So there's an M&S at Acton on the North Circular. Every single sandwich was removed from the shelves due to Salmonella. Big sign up saying what had been taken off the shelves :scared:

--- End quote ---

I heard something about that; it hit more than M&S I believe. Isn't centralised food production wonderful.

med6753:

--- Quote from: Specmaster on May 23, 2022, 12:46:23 pm ---

One comment then I need coffee. Unique food consumption. George Carlin once said: Americans will eat anything. If you served sauteed raccoon's asshole on a stick they would eat it. Especially dipped in butter.

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Jest? More like truth. Look at it this way. In this building including myself there are 6 adults. I am the only one normal weight. The rest aren't just overweight. They are morbidly obese. And so are some of their children. I feel like I live on a fat farm.  :P :-DD

Anyway, enough of potential off subject bashing. Gonna take a shower and work on some TE. 

bd139:

--- Quote from: tggzzz on May 23, 2022, 12:49:02 pm ---
--- Quote from: bd139 on May 23, 2022, 08:02:27 am ---
--- Quote from: tggzzz on May 23, 2022, 06:56:32 am ---Eating horse is a cultural no-no in the UK.

Having said that, I remember a butcher that sold horse meat for human consumption in Kingston-upon-Thames market place. Can't find any reference to it, though

--- End quote ---

It's not a particularly nice meat.

As for Kingston, there's a guy selling all sorts of weird meat in there still to this day. You can get ostrich burgers, zebra steaks and alligator meat for example.

--- End quote ---

That's not weird; many local farm shops sell that kind of thing frozen.

But back in the 60s chicken was an unusual meat, reserved for treats. Meat normally meant beef, pork, lamb, and their offal - and except for frozen NZealand lamb it was home produced. Fish was
cod, haddock, plaice, herring, pilchards, and rock salmon. Everything else caught was sold to the more knowledgeble French.

Horse meat was merely another domestic meat, one normally reserved for pet food - just as Dartmoor ponies are today.

--- End quote ---

I think the weird here is meant from a modern standpoint. The reason we tend to circle round to basic fish, chicken, beef, pork and to some degree lamb as primary meats is that they are efficient to produce and are good enough to do the job. The other major factor is that most people in the UK are philistines when it comes to food. Other things are terribly inefficient to produce and distribute. Which means they probably should be more scarce than they actually are.

Supply vs demand pressures are going to make the next 20-30 years interesting on food production. I suspect it will result in a hike in high production efficiency foods. I have some personal bets on where that will lead.

--- Quote from: tggzzz on May 23, 2022, 12:49:02 pm ---
--- Quote ---Edit: oh meant to mention something grim I saw on the way to Dunstable. So there's an M&S at Acton on the North Circular. Every single sandwich was removed from the shelves due to Salmonella. Big sign up saying what had been taken off the shelves :scared:

--- End quote ---

I heard something about that; it hit more than M&S I believe. Isn't centralised food production wonderful.

--- End quote ---

Yes can confirm Waitrose and Asda too today. Isn't my life exciting  :-DD

bd139:

--- Quote from: med6753 on May 23, 2022, 12:58:56 pm ---
--- Quote from: Specmaster on May 23, 2022, 12:46:23 pm ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Jest? More like truth. Look at it this way. In this building including myself there are 6 adults. I am the only one normal weight. The rest aren't just overweight. They are morbidly obese. And so are some of their children. I feel like I live on a fat farm.  :P :-DD

Anyway, enough of potential off subject bashing. Gonna take a shower and work on some TE.

--- End quote ---

As long as you are above them you are safe. Unless one of those Teks goes through the floor  :-DD

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version