Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14560192 times)

morris6, marcumr, K0ELB, TERRA Operative and 30 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #12500 on: June 27, 2018, 10:27:30 pm »
I don't need the extra digits or the interfaces, but I would like to have a 6.5 digit meter even though I have no real use for it  :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #12501 on: June 27, 2018, 11:03:24 pm »
No worries, Spec. Just switch it to measure to fewer significant digits and you'll be alright.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12502 on: June 27, 2018, 11:34:18 pm »
No worries, Spec. Just switch it to measure to fewer significant digits and you'll be alright.
Nope, I'll do what I always do if any digits keep changing, just ignore them and go with the ones that are static.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12503 on: June 28, 2018, 12:13:25 am »
Just to show that my meters don't always have their last digits rolling (depends on the source) I attach 2 photos each of the 5.5 digit ones connected to my AD584-M on 10V, 1st is at switch on and the 2nd is after a 2 hour warm up. I also did the same thing with my other bench meters and a Fluke 27 and although their readings vary slightly, start and finish figures are in the same ballpark and the 3466A and the Fluke 27 did not change their readings. I won't post those photos unless you really want to see them.

At switch on:

2 hours later:

Who let Murphy in?

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12504 on: June 28, 2018, 02:04:27 am »
Yeah a AD584 on battery would always be a lot quieter than any power supply  :)

I like the little AD584 you can buy from china. They are super cheap and kind of stable. You can't really expect all the voltage to be super precise but at least they are stable :)

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12505 on: June 28, 2018, 02:16:00 am »
So I received the decade box I bought couple a weeks ago. Everything is in excellent shape and working perfectly. All the switches are clean and not used at all. I double checked all the range with my Philips pm2534 and both were in agreement to the last digit  :-+

The 0.01 Ohm resistors are interesting. look like they were hand crafted individually. I guess that's what you need to do when you want a 0.01 Ohm resistor at 0.01%
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 02:18:11 am by Kosmic »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12506 on: June 28, 2018, 06:53:33 am »
So I received the decade box I bought couple a weeks ago. Everything is in excellent shape and working perfectly. All the switches are clean and not used at all. I double checked all the range with my Philips pm2534 and both were in agreement to the last digit  :-+

The 0.01 Ohm resistors are interesting. look like they were hand crafted individually. I guess that's what you need to do when you want a 0.01 Ohm resistor at 0.01%
That's a nice catch you got there, ideal for checking your Philips2534 against. I have a decade box with 0.1% resistors that use on mine and I do a cross check on other meters. Very unlikely to find that they all drift the same amount, more chance of winning the lottery jackpot I think.

From mobile device so predictive text might have struck again [emoji83]
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12507 on: June 28, 2018, 10:46:45 am »
Quick diversion into soldering ... Referring to my comment about soldering irons in this thread in December 2017 I decided to have a look at new ones again due to some major annoyances.

Honestly I'm not that happy with the T12. I had to do too much frigging around with it to get anywhere and the handle is dicky already. Plus it takes bloody forever to get on the slow boat from China whenever it does go wrong which means I have to have two on hand. Plus the three stands I tried were shit. And my Quicko unit doesn't allow me to cal due to a software bug. All I want to do is solder shit!

Ergo it was back to the Weller for a bit. Which isn't bad but has some problems hitting ground planes hard due to the new tip styles which is a bugger as I do a lot of work on ground planes. Also due to magnastat everything stuck to the iron like glue like component leads and SMD parts. Where did the 0805 go? Oh it's stuck half way up the iron. And the last straw: Last week I bought a lower temperature chisel tip for the Weller, a and found that the thing won't fit in the handpiece due to the tip being too wide at the top. The shank won't screw up. Genuine Weller 4PTA6-1 tip from RS. Fuck it had enough.

So reviews were consulted, information collated (thanks to this forum) and a spreadsheet knocked up and ranked.

One new Metcal SP900 arriving tomorrow  :-+

Not as good as the MX but more cost effective for low volume and repairs.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12508 on: June 28, 2018, 11:56:20 am »
I'm happy with the T12's, I honestly think that you went down the wrong route with the portable low voltage jobbie, had you gone with the Quicko T12-952 full kit with their power supply then I think that you'd have been very happy with it and TBH I think that the stock handle that comes with it is actually better built than the 9501 handle that we both went for.

Certainly the Metcal is supposed to be a good unit but there again, you could have had upto 5 of the T12 952's for that money so even allowing for that slow boat (which is getting quicker now) you'd never have been without an iron as you'd had spares. I have never had to use my 2nd one that I got as a backup yet apart from testing it.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12509 on: June 28, 2018, 12:11:50 pm »
I’ve got a mains T12 as well. Honestly I haven’t bothered to assemble it yet as I’m unable to make myself happy enough with it to consider using it full time. The mods required to make it safe are extensive and I haven’t had the inclination to jump through the hoops. I think both handles suck. The 9501 handle’s strain relief keeps buggering off plus I’m getting intermittent problems with tip feedback which has caused it to blow two tips now. The default 936 style handle I haven’t tried extensively but the requirement to change tips occasionally makes it difficult to use as like the weller it requires partially dismantling.

Granted the T12 is objectively better than the weller in performance but not quality or reliability. If they fixed those issues, even for 2x the price it’d be a killer platform.

I wrote a list of requirements, including budget, and the metcal came out on top. Fast tip change, next day availability of all parts without postal buggery, very fast heat up and delivery, long tip lifespan, handle size, reliability, no fiddling around getting stuff working.

Edit: to note I’m keeping the DC T12. It was purchased for running off an SLA really. It will do the job for light duty work there.

Edit 2: tggzzz describes the above problems as fettling and that’s exactly what it is. This is an objective get work done and get out tool. I rather like making things and seeing the results more than playing fix the tools (test gear aside as that has some learning potential)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 12:19:47 pm by bd139 »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12510 on: June 28, 2018, 12:23:03 pm »
Yes, the strain relief on both my 9501 handles creeps along the bloody cable, that does not happen on the 936 and that handle is is not designed for fast tip change I agree but can be overcome by having 2 handles or 2 setups even.

The problem with the T12's is as mnenmeth mentioned, there so many various clones around of the handles, some are better than other.

I'll be very interested to hear how you get on with the Metcal, not when its new as we all think a new toy, like a broom, sweeps clean, but I'm talking about long term view after the initial glee of a new toy has been and gone.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12511 on: June 28, 2018, 12:33:11 pm »
I’m a miserable bastard so expect an honest review in about a month :)

I bought some cheap SMD practice boards as well to hit with it so I don’t ruin any projects I’m working on. They go down to 0402 so should be fun seeing as I have no magnification other than a wonky eye. I can do 0805 and MSOP with the weller but haven’t tried anything smaller yet.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #12512 on: June 28, 2018, 12:36:44 pm »
I guess I'm old fashion. This has been my go to soldering iron for the past 45 years. Ungar Imperial 60 watt. It has done thousands of solder joints including several Heathkits. It has never let me down and still has the original tip...which if it does need replacing I'll have to scrap the whole iron because it's welded itself on over the years and won't come off. I did replace the line cord because the plastic insulation was cracking. Of course it's unsuitable for SMT work and I do have this mini Hexacon if the need arises.

And somewhere in the bottom of the drawer is the big ass Weller soldering gun.     ;D

An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12513 on: June 28, 2018, 12:40:27 pm »
Proper irons :)

To be fair I have used Weller TCP irons since about 1990 when I got a hand me down unit. Antex before that. I had a big gap in my electronics interests filled with computer games, the female of the species, beer, pizza etc. The original PS2D I had got sold. When I came back I bought a WTCP51 after an awful experience with an Aoyue unit.

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #12514 on: June 28, 2018, 12:44:37 pm »
Since I got one, well two MX Metcal I sleep so well at night, they changed my life.

Now I am lazy shopping a portable solder iron system... because I know the day when I need an iron in the middle of a forest could come soon   :horse:

Got my eyes on this kit:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/QUICKO-Temperature-adjust-T12-STC-OLED-Controller-Digital-Soldering-Iron-Statio/153051528247?var=452880777836

that should work with my Makita 18V 3Ah battery for about 30minutes... worst case I hope (I have 5Ah as well as plan B).

http://www.instructables.com/id/Makita-Battery-Mount/

so basically my iron will be another makita tool...  ;) and I like the idea...

Any suggestions from you iron pirates?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 12:53:34 pm by zucca »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12515 on: June 28, 2018, 12:52:14 pm »
Since I got one, well two MX Metcal I sleep so well at night, it changed my life.

Now I am lazy shopping a portable solder iron system... because I know the day when I need an iron in the middle of a forest could come soon   :horse:

Got my eyes on this kit:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/QUICKO-Temperature-adjust-T12-STC-OLED-Controller-Digital-Soldering-Iron-Statio/153051528247?var=452880777836

that should work with my Makita 18V 3Ah battery for about 30minutes... worst case I hope.

Yeh, it's best if you can feed it with 24v as a minimum because it is designed to be used at 24V if you get a mains powered unit, they reduce it down to 24v. 18v will work but you will not get the heating effect and it may struggle on some soldering jobs as a result.

Who let Murphy in?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #12516 on: June 28, 2018, 12:52:29 pm »
Since I got one, well two MX Metcal I sleep so well at night, it changed my life.

Got my eyes on this kit:

that should work with my Makita 18V 3Ah battery for about 30minutes... worst case I hope.

Preparing for the Apocalypse? I figure the best thing you could do to prepare is limber exercises so you'll be able to bend over and kiss your arse goodbye.  :P ;D
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #12517 on: June 28, 2018, 12:56:54 pm »
Yeh, it's best if you can feed it with 24v as a minimum because it is designed to be used at 24V if you get a mains powered unit, they reduce it down to 24v. 18v will work but you will not get the heating effect and it may struggle on some soldering jobs as a result.

I can squeeze a 24VDC-DC 5A step up if I am not happy with the performance... BTW the Ebay seller states: Input Voltagle 12-24V...
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12518 on: June 28, 2018, 01:28:03 pm »
That's what I did with mine. Stuffed a boost converter in it (and an idiot diode as I'm an idiot :D)

I added a green binding post to the back since which acts an an earth for the tip and the case.

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12519 on: June 28, 2018, 01:28:40 pm »
For SMD I prefer using hot air. For everything else I use a old Weller WTCPT.

Work well for me.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #12520 on: June 28, 2018, 02:41:31 pm »
I'm on my way out the door for an all-day work order, so no time to join the soldering iron debate, except to say this: If you can come up with the cash for MetCal, you will never regret the expenditure. They've far outstripped Weller in terms of usability and quality-over-time. That said...

TRI-BOOT, mother-f****rs!

mnem
Out into the wild blue... suck.

alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12521 on: June 28, 2018, 02:49:35 pm »
Bingo that's what I'm hoping. Will find out tomorrow. Unless I'm out when it turns up. Minor cock up - forgot I have to take one of the kids to a hospital appointment  :palm: ... so that'll be down the delivery office on Saturday then.

Triple boot win. Easier than pissing around with grub :D

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12522 on: June 28, 2018, 03:03:58 pm »

I can squeeze a 24VDC-DC 5A step up if I am not happy with the performance... BTW the Ebay seller states: Input Voltagle 12-24V...
Yes it will work on 12v but the heat output will be halved from 24v. Not so sure that these boost convertors are the way to go. I'd prefer to go with a 12v   invertor and then use the 240v model. The invertor might well be useful on other things as well.

Who let Murphy in?

Offline GeorgeOfTheJungle

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #12523 on: June 28, 2018, 03:04:05 pm »
I've been using the same JBC SL2020 for more than twenty years, it's good enough for me:

When in need of moar watts, I just grab the Engel-Löter  >:D
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 10:51:26 pm by GeorgeOfTheJungle »
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12524 on: June 28, 2018, 04:40:29 pm »
Want something newer either with serial port, LXI or USB.

Annoying I can’t find any reviews or info on the TTi 1908P as it’s about right. Could do with an extra digit but I can live without that.
Yeah, I'm the same when I'm pondering over something, I look online for any snippets of infor/reviews/video/repair or a tear down to get a second opinion if you will  :palm: Trouble is I suppose that that TTi just aren't big enough to be able to afford to send loads of freebies to bloggers etc like Keysight, Rigol etc. I think it will have to be a leap of faith at this stage of is life.
Who let Murphy in?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf