Products > Test Equipment

Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread

<< < (25017/27247) > >>

Cerebus:

--- Quote from: Vince on July 03, 2022, 04:46:45 pm ---Now I think or it, one big advantage of punches is that you can make any shape you want, not just round holes... so it opens up an entire new world of possibilities  8)
You could make a hole with a flat, to fit pots and keep them from spinning round and round, or anything... as long as someone somewhere sells the shape that you want...

--- End quote ---

They used to be quite common - you could get punches for the classic potentiometer with flat, D connectors, IEC inlets, and so on. Last time I bought some sheet metal punches the ones for anything other than purely round and rectangular holes seemed to have disappeared off the lists of the moderately priced manufacturers and I didn't look at the extortionately priced ones.

Vince:
Hmmm... that's definitely something I would be interested in finding.  Once the garage is built and I can start fabricating stuff to a decent standard, would definitely love to find all the punches you mentioned so I can make nice looking projects... Cutting and filing these shapes by hand is doable but so much more work and time to achieve a good result... punches to me would be worth investing a bit of money into. I guess cheap chinese stuff would be OK since I am not exactly into mass production..... from what you say, the Chinese have not invested this domain yet... well it will take 2 or 3 years at least to erect the garage, so it gives the chinese time to catch up !  :-DD

Vince:
Wow, think I found an interesting one here !

Just starting on sorting 60 or so DIL8 packages here.

I found an IL300-F ... an opto-coupler. OK no big deal but... that's no ordinary photo-coupler, look at the datasheet, that's one hell of a fancy one !

It's got a photo-PIN diode as its output device, and at the input there is a second photo-diode that samples the output of the LED, so you can use that as a feedback source to correct the driving of your LED, to make it super linear. Fast it is too. Expensive as well, still made today, 12 Euros a pop !!!  :scared:

Gee you learn something every day, there are some really weird and fancy opto-couplers out there...

syau:

--- Quote from: TERRA Operative on July 03, 2022, 03:14:14 pm ---
--- Quote from: Vince on July 03, 2022, 02:47:01 pm ---[img width=6°°]https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/?action=dlattach;attach=1528393;image[/img]

--- Quote from: TERRA Operative on July 03, 2022, 01:27:08 pm ---Boy, do I loooooveee hole punches, waayyy better than nasty holesaws.  8)

--- End quote ---

I don't understand... must have misread your previous post... though this amp was just a very vague long term project... and now you present us with a chassis... could you have been lying to us.... no, you would not do that.

Looks very clean/professional indeed... but what machine did you use that had enough force to punch through that metal, smoothly, i a controlled manner ? Surely a flick of a hammer won't do it... do you have a press ? That would be to just as interesting to see as the resulting holes... because I sure am interested as well.... links/costs etc....

--- End quote ---

Ha, I used a sheet metal punch, to cut the holes in a chassis I've had ready and waiting for a while. :)

--- End quote ---

Anybody know a good source of D shaped punch as it will be very handy to make holes for BNC and banana jacks.

Vince:
Can't identify this one, if someone saw something like that before ?!  :-//

G 3950 M or something. Google finds stuff but nothing relevant... cooling fans, SMD thermistors...

Have 5 of them... in case they are expensive and I can make money with them ! :-DD

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version