Products > Test Equipment

Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread

<< < (25097/27245) > >>

mnementh:

--- Quote from: tggzzz on July 06, 2022, 10:02:10 am ---Life is about more than time and money.

My tradeoffs would include "having lunch at a viewpoint by a river or hill, before or after picking up some TEA", or "in order to reduce time stuck in a queue, should I deviate to pick up something at the DIY shop now or on the way back".

Both are easy to estimate with a paper map, and impossible on a satnav.
--- End quote ---

I'll take exception to this one. I do precisely this all the time. On the road even, stopped at a red light. (Yes, in a cradle on the dash) I do "search along route" for a specific shop, and it tells me exactly how far in miles and time that shop is out of my way. The rest I'd damned well better be able to do in my head.

Honestly, that usefulness (and routing/rerouting based on live traffic info) is the main reason I finally gave my standalone GPS the burial with honors it so richly earned.

Now if/when I go back to doing onsite service calls every day... it will probably get dusted off and kept handy for a backup. Nothing is more frustrating than connectivity issues when you have 25 minutes to get to a appointment you know is ~20 minutes away. |O

mnem
 :blah:

Specmaster:

--- Quote from: bd139 on July 06, 2022, 11:28:08 am ---Police mostly have better things to do than checking stopped cars for phone activity. That comes from a police officer I know

He’s currently playing “which pikey nicked the motorbike”

--- End quote ---
I'm glad you said "mostly", right now I bet that right now there are some policemen doing just that, picking up the low fruit so to speak because it's a good revenue raiser and gets a few scalps on their belts.

I think that speed cameras need to go, and we should have more police out on the road finding speeders, those driving dangerously, including those holding their phones and using them while actually driving among other driving offences, which cameras cannot pick up. How about cyclists using footpaths, red light jumpers and even riding their bikes the wrong way whilst in a cycle lane for instance. I'm also glad that they can even be bothered to play “which pikey nicked the motorbike”, all too often these days the response is to calls for assistance to say that they will try and get someone to attend the scene of whatever it was that prompted the call in the instance.

Specmaster:
I hope you all haven't eaten all of your popcorn yet, or perhaps you'd better stock up quickly, things are developing at a fair rate of knots and there could be some big announcements coming up in the not too distant future ;) ;D

bd139:

--- Quote from: Specmaster on July 06, 2022, 02:50:33 pm ---
--- Quote from: bd139 on July 06, 2022, 11:28:08 am ---Police mostly have better things to do than checking stopped cars for phone activity. That comes from a police officer I know

He’s currently playing “which pikey nicked the motorbike”

--- End quote ---
I'm glad you said "mostly", right now I bet that right now there are some policemen doing just that, picking up the low fruit so to speak because it's a good revenue raiser and gets a few scalps on their belts.

I think that speed cameras need to go, and we should have more police out on the road finding speeders, those driving dangerously, including those holding their phones and using them while actually driving among other driving offences, which cameras cannot pick up. How about cyclists using footpaths, red light jumpers and even riding their bikes the wrong way whilst in a cycle lane for instance. I'm also glad that they can even be bothered to play “which pikey nicked the motorbike”, all too often these days the response is to calls for assistance to say that they will try and get someone to attend the scene of whatever it was that prompted the call in the instance.

--- End quote ---

I don't agree with speed cameras being removed. They are quite effective.

However cyclists yep. At least here they have a few strategically placed fuzz who take quite a few out for red light jumping.

When I was working down in Farringdon it used to be a favourite morning activity to step out in front of them and then cross really slowly so they had to dismount rather than squeeze by. One of them had a right go at me and the person in the car opened the window and called him a "sweaty cracked cunt" which ended the argument with laughs.

Note I was a cyclist as well and I never did that and didn't ride on the pavement at all unless it was marked up that I could.

--- Quote from: Specmaster on July 06, 2022, 02:54:03 pm ---I hope you all haven't eaten all of your popcorn yet, or perhaps you'd better stock up quickly, things are developing at a fair rate of knots and there could be some big announcements coming up in the not too distant future ;) ;D

--- End quote ---

It's the omni-shitshow!

m k:

--- Quote from: mnementh on July 05, 2022, 10:52:01 pm ---
--- Quote from: m k on July 05, 2022, 07:49:36 pm ---
--- Quote from: mnementh on July 05, 2022, 01:45:40 pm ---...Yeah, 625 line PAL is interlaced; I was thinking that when we were talking before.  :-+

That's another reason I decided to put a pin in this project; I'm waiting on the outcome of this eBay dispute. If I'm not keeping this turd, I think I'd much rather spend the time and brain power figuring out what went wrong with my fuckeroo UTG962E. And playing with my brand-new LeSiglent T3DSO2102.  :-DD

mnem
Never any shortage of things a tinkerdwagon needs to do...

--- End quote ---

I'm a bit interested how this scope thing finally is.
For now my guess is that this 313 vertical has nothing to do with PAL.

Is there possibly a military grade high resolution video system with small screens?
Just wondering from where HP got their idea.

Somebody should count those H-sync pulses.
625 is raw PAL and it includes blanking time.

Somebody should also adjust their scope monitor so that returning beam is visible and count how many H-lines it needs.
That much is needed over that 313.

Old Hitachi schematics has very clear horizontal timing as 41.2us.
Is it the right device for sure?

Only one google hit for CDU-10BA241, title of Hitachi schematics.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hp-871xb-vna-crt-module-capacitor-identification-help/

Much more for CDK-10BA242.
One of its CRT is 240ANB31N and earlier tube shuffle pays off.
As everybody remembers 31 is green, it continues so that 4 is white.
Tube in Hitachi schematics is 240ANB4(N).

Is this white CRT a rarity, is the whole input side of that schematics a rarity?
Maybe 546xx real H-sync is something else than 24270Hz.

--- End quote ---

According to the Wikipedia entry, there were several PAL standards; most operated at 625 lines(576 visible)50Hz while PAL M operated at 525 lines(480 Visible)60Hz. There was a "standard" called PAL-60 as well that allowed European VCRs to display NTSC VHS tapes; it was a bastard in that it misused the hardware by displaying PAL video at 60Hz with the NTSC color information, this was later promoted by video game consoles like the DreamCast.

I've read somewhere in the HP sales fluff that "waveform refresh" is at 60Hz, so I suspect it is something like that. OTOH, as they're using the PAL chip in a closed system, there's probably no reason they couldn't make their own "bastard" format at 625 lines(576 visible)60Hz...  :-//

As for where these monitors came from... they are small open-frame industrial monitors meant for all sorts of automated manufacturing applications; usually driven by some embedded computer.

mnem
I think. As always, take anything I say with a grain of salt big enough to pickle a dragon. ;)

--- End quote ---

All PALs are interlaced and 546xx is clearly not, or at least I've not seen a picture indicating different, there part of the picture would be dimmed or disarranged.
There's also D1-PAL, a possibly standard for digitized stuff and 720x576i, obviously not a full signal.

It's of course also possible that the scope has a crooked installation of things where composite signal is composed and taken apart inside the scope and only after that fed to monitor, since there are separated sync sync signals.
Never seen one but who knows, maybe it was a clever form of direct memory access and used chip exported all necessary signals.
On the other hand, maybe 313 is just a prank since one more or less doesn't mean a thing when the real one is 312.5 and license plate was already famous.

First stackexchange answer has a good picture of beam.
https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/98922/why-there-is-625-lines-pal-in-t-v-scanning-or-odd-lines/98926#98926

Good place for PAL specs.
http://martin.hinner.info/vga/pal.html
Good picture of field selection.
http://martin.hinner.info/vga/pal.gif

TI paper has exact scope screens.
https://www.ti.com/lit/pdf/sboa109

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...