Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14791072 times)

Kosmic, K0ELB and 145 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #12625 on: June 30, 2018, 07:23:05 pm »
Keeping it TEA if I was running a business I wouldn’t poke rigol with a stick. Keysight it is because at 3x the cost it’s still a good deal for the service.

I'm glad that's still the attitude.

In my first job we had a HeaP flatbed plotters (remember them?). Twice it failed just before an exhibition. Twice HP saved the day by loaning one to us.

Mind you, you could always have 3* the number of Rigols, so that when one breaks, you just slide it into the oubliette.

This isn’t biometric ID as such and it doesn’t leave the device’s HSP.

It’s a secondary authentication check on a hardware keychain. Think TPM or HSP type stuff. You still have to unlock the keychain with the primary auth first which is a password. This is kept open in a session.

An analogy. If you’re sitting at a Unix machine with ssh-agent running, you added your private key to the keychain and entered the password. After that you can ssh to anything with authorized_keys set up properly using PKI. The sensors on the iPhone require secondary auth for some classes of event at which point the HSP talks to the sensors and carries out a quick “is this bd139?” Check. Periodically (configurable) the HSP drops all keys and if like whack the power button 5 times or power cycle it. It’s another layer and that is it.

HSP carries the encryption keys for storage etc as well btw which is on by default.

The biometric data has three operations: write (which requires a validation first), validation, burn everything and that’s it. This is hardware mandated.

When you make a transaction you’re only allowing the transaction to be signed by the HSP’s default private key for Apple Pay which is per card.

Ergo it’s layered security with boundary checks.

Sure it’s not perfect and I openly admit that but it sits there on the fence between security and usability. Usable security has more customers and benefits than other kinds generally.

Mine is set to drop keys every 30 minutes as that stops people getting pissed off when I hit a ticket gate :D

Keeping it TEA if I was running a business I wouldn’t poke rigol with a stick. Keysight it is because at 3x the cost it’s still a good deal for the service.

I'm glad that's still the attitude.

In my first job we had a HeaP flatbed plotters (remember them?). Twice it failed just before an exhibition. Twice HP saved the day by loaning one to us.

Mind you, you could always have 3* the number of Rigols, so that when one breaks, you just slide it into the oubliette.

It’s why I bought the Keysight DMM. Risk assessment said I might poke it in the mains and kill myself so I picked a good one. I have a quite strict purchasing criteria for items. Rigol only got the deal here because the failure penalty is low for me versus the ROI.

I do remember HP plotters actually. I had to argue with one and an HP/UX box running ME10 on the first IT job I had. Didn’t take a lot of work. Lovely watching them do their thing.

Not a bad idea with the rigols. My local radio shop have a couple of 300MHz units. Probably same approach. A lot cheaper than a 300MHz Keysight unit.

You're thinking too small; thinking like an ordinary person with bills and a limited amount of money.

What Apple is selling is convenience and TIME; time YOU don't spend figuring it out, time you don't spend fixing it if it breaks, time you don't spend arguing with customer support. All you have to do is fit your needs within the confines of their ecology, and give them boatloads of money. In return, they constantly revise their ecology to fit more and more of the people with money, so eventually you will get more and more functionality from them.

Honestly, it's not that bad a deal, unless you are one of those people who just HAS to do it for yourself; then you're well and truly boned.

mnem
Time is your most valuable commodity; the one thing you can't make or buy more of. Trading mere money for more time is a deal that's ALWAYS in YOUR favor.
That's the picture that's always painted, but it's overly romantic. Apple stuff works and breaks the same way all the other crap does.

It does break. Everything breaks. What happens when it breaks is the thing. They send me a new one, i provision it and send the old one back. No downtime. If I need one now I just walk into an Apple store and sortedin under an hour.

Motorola: bye bye phone for a month and what comes back? Oh the original phone saying it was water damaged which the repairer did so they didn’t have to foot the bill.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12626 on: June 30, 2018, 07:29:55 pm »
A quick heads up: Anybody in the UK who has been getting Metcal envy the last day or two, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/oki-metcal-ps-900-soldering-iron-stand/173387210284 - used PS900 outfit, £100 buy it now.

And a MX500P complete with stand and several  tips; bidding at £142 right now: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283028459738

mnem
*Back out into the suck*
That says that the tips need re-activating, activater will be included, WTF is that all about, security going to far now??

99% positive it's this stuff; the outer shell of the MX tips is iron, just like any other. This stuff will "re-activate" a dog turd so it's nice & shiny silver, if you can get it hot enough.  :-DD

mnem
p00t!
Oh, so in reality its a posher way of saying "tip refresher" which I already have a jar of anyway  8)
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12627 on: June 30, 2018, 07:30:45 pm »
My father called it “cock shine”  :-DD

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #12628 on: June 30, 2018, 07:48:10 pm »
It does break. Everything breaks. What happens when it breaks is the thing. They send me a new one, i provision it and send the old one back. No downtime. If I need one now I just walk into an Apple store and sortedin under an hour.

Motorola: bye bye phone for a month and what comes back? Oh the original phone saying it was water damaged which the repairer did so they didn’t have to foot the bill.
I'm not in the mood for an extended discussion and I know I'm not going to change your mind, but every manufacturer has the same horror stories. There's plenty of horror stories for Apple, just like there are for pretty much any other. Those aren't a few exception either. There's some weird and infuriating shit going on.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12629 on: June 30, 2018, 07:49:44 pm »
Life is mostly weird and infuriating shit going on :)

Talking of which, why the hell is ebay still dead. Is everyone on holiday?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12630 on: June 30, 2018, 07:56:25 pm »
Everyone here is trying to paint Apple as a really good egg when in truth they aren't. There is plenty of well documented examples of where they have failed to live upto the hype and have given the customer all kinds of BS as to why they cannot issue replacements or authorise repairs, even for gear that is within the warranty and has not been tampered with in anyway.

The reality is that like everything else, it depends on who you get to deal with, some are suffering from external problems that they bring into work with them and then you get the NO word used a lot, some of them just don't care and in a lot of cases many just try it on.

I have personally witnessed this first hand when accompanying my eldest son to an Apple service centre and has had to argue with some of the assistants to get a resolution on his new 6S that was only 4 months old. And when he did a replacement out of them, he had to go through 4 phones before he got a good one without any problems on it. Truth is I was getting sick of standing around in that shop as it took well over 2 hours before he got satisfaction. The reason he got satisfaction in the end was he let them know in the end that he knew what they were telling him was BS because he worked at the time for Carphone Warehouse, selling mobile phones and he had been on numerous manufacturers training courses and knew all about mobiles phones and that they were telling him BS.

Had he not known that they were giving him a load of BS, they might have gotten away with it.

There are loads of other examples all over the internet, Apple are no better than many other companies, they will all try it on to varying degrees if they think that they can get away with it.  :rant: 
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #12631 on: June 30, 2018, 08:19:35 pm »
If you depend upon your cellphone has an integral part of your business then I see the value of the claimed Apple service. But for an individual like me were my cell to go to shit it would be an inconvenience but not a show stopper. 

For the past 4 years my smarty has been a Nokia 925 with WIN8. It has worked flawlessly and I have no real complaints with it. Even with it's limited support and apps it does what I need. It's MS that's been dicky about it. For some strange reason the 925 can't be updated to WIN10 and I've noticed lately that a few minor apps have quit working. So I fear it's days are numbered. But I can walk into my cell provider and pick up a driod based phone that does everything that I need for less than $100. Even if it breaks after 1 year I'm still ahead of the game. 
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #12632 on: June 30, 2018, 08:45:13 pm »
Sure it’s not perfect and I openly admit that but it sits there on the fence between security and usability. Usable security has more customers and benefits than other kinds generally.

That's always worth remembering!

I do remember HP plotters actually. I had to argue with one and an HP/UX box running ME10 on the first IT job I had. Didn’t take a lot of work. Lovely watching them do their thing.

They are hypnotic. It is easy to get fixated watching them - especially when using them for overhead slides, and seeing them draw non-single-stroke glyphs.

Watching rabbits flash their white bums as they run across the grass outside the office window is similarly hypnotic.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #12633 on: June 30, 2018, 08:48:04 pm »

"Sell in May and go away; come back in September"
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12634 on: June 30, 2018, 08:56:06 pm »
For the past 4 years my smarty has been a Nokia 925 with WIN8.

This is one of the world's greatest annoyances. The WP8.1 platform was pretty much spot on. Fast, reliable, certainly not insecure and certainly flexible etc. I had a 710, 820 then 650. But MSFT had already screwed the pooch by making everyone start again on the CE/NT switch over. The WP10 release was a big step backwards in consistency and reliability. All the app vendors went Pfft leaving only MSFT and an acre of crap in the store left. Now they canned it. RIP.

Then a year of Android which was like licking satan's ball sack.

Everyone here is trying to paint Apple as a really good egg when in truth they aren't. 

Honestly they're the least objectionable turd in an identity parade and that's as far as I want to go with that comment. If someone came up with something that worked better I'd be on it like a seagull on chips.

"Sell in May and go away; come back in September"

Holidays are for wimps. They should get back and sell me their crap right away!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 08:59:06 pm by bd139 »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12635 on: June 30, 2018, 08:56:40 pm »

Depends on what your targeting, I have my sights set on a few items, admittedly I may have to do some work on them if I win.

From mobile device so predictive text might have struck again [emoji83]

Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12636 on: June 30, 2018, 09:01:00 pm »
Random request. I have £5.88 in CPC basket and need to get it to £8 for free delivery.

Any suggestions?

Edit: sorted ignore that.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 09:07:00 pm by bd139 »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12637 on: June 30, 2018, 09:09:41 pm »
Random request. I have £5.88 in CPC basket and need to get it to £8 for free delivery.

Any suggestions?

Well, I suppose you decided to go with obvious for you, stock tants?

From mobile device so predictive text might have struck again [emoji83]

Who let Murphy in?

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #12638 on: June 30, 2018, 09:13:13 pm »

Any suggestions?

A nice 1 GHz Keysight oscilloscope.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12639 on: June 30, 2018, 09:14:08 pm »

Yep  :-DD

Can spot a Tek owner a mile away  :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #12640 on: June 30, 2018, 09:40:33 pm »

Waving hand. The 465 is loaded with them.  :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12641 on: June 30, 2018, 09:53:25 pm »

Any suggestions?

A nice 1 GHz Keysight oscilloscope.
I think bd139 only wanted to hit the £8 mark, not smash it out of sight  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12642 on: June 30, 2018, 09:55:08 pm »

Very true, he's the one with a pocket bulging with tants  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #12643 on: June 30, 2018, 09:56:20 pm »

Only 25V ones ?  :scared:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #12644 on: June 30, 2018, 09:56:25 pm »
I think bd139 only wanted to hit the £8 mark, not smash it out of sight  :-DD
He's a code monkey, he knows better than not to define his requests properly.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12645 on: June 30, 2018, 09:58:34 pm »

For 15v rail it’ll do :)

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #12646 on: June 30, 2018, 10:08:32 pm »

For 15v rail it’ll do :)
I've seen popped tants on rails of less voltages with old dipped bead tants so now I don't use anything other than 50V jobbies. Once replaced I don't want to ever go back there ! For a few cents more ..............  :-//
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12647 on: June 30, 2018, 10:16:19 pm »
New ones are much more tolerant. Even the cheap ones. I’ve tested them to destruction :).

Can get about 40v out of a 25v one before it says goodbye and I get moaned at about the smoke lingering.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #12648 on: June 30, 2018, 11:33:41 pm »

Waving hand. The 465 is loaded with them.  :-DD

Otherwise known as "Penis fingers repellent"...  :-DD

mnem
Weeth seex you get egg loll...!
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #12649 on: June 30, 2018, 11:47:57 pm »

Still plenty of effing plonkers doing their thing; I just got done messaging the one who sold me the "amazing scratch-magnet smartphone screen" since it got ANOTHER scratch in my pocket this afternoon from a effing plastic pen... :palm: ...then I go to the mailbox to find the charger I ordered for my son's 12V scooter came in, only it was the WRONG ONE. Not only is it the wrong one, it clearly says 24V on the bottom label and has the wrong MFR Part #; unlike the auction, which lists it as 12V with the RIGHT MFR Part number.  |O

So now I'm putting a hardened glass screen protector on my phone... because I'd rather put up with the prophylactic poor finger response than a screen full of scratches. Whatever the vendor does this screen isn't coming off my phone until it breaks, so no point dicking around widdit.

mnem
Sometimes you have to chuck it in the "Fuck it!" bucket and get on with your life.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf