Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14550168 times)

Jambalaya, factory, Vince and 20 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #12800 on: July 06, 2018, 06:20:44 am »
Nice addition to the stack of flukes and great photos  :-+

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #12801 on: July 06, 2018, 06:38:25 am »
Nice in-period addition there, med. That Siemens cap looks neat, "eletrolitico."
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #12802 on: July 06, 2018, 06:39:57 am »
As everyone is in mourning during this, the great eBay drought of 2018, ......

Just another hapless day in Oz.

Woops! I guess I should've been more regionally aware. "The great Yankee-Bay drought of 2018..." ;D
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12803 on: July 06, 2018, 06:44:20 am »
Nice in-period addition there, med. That Siemens cap looks neat, "eletrolitico."

There’s a blue Philips “bastardo” in there too! :D. I’d replace that. 

Woops! I guess I should've been more regionally aware. "The great Yankee-Bay drought of 2018..." ;D

Just as bad here :(

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #12804 on: July 06, 2018, 06:58:37 am »

Just as bad here :(

Hmmm ... on contrary, I have an incoming time nut + RF gears that are TEA related from ebay ... hold yer breath ...  :P

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12805 on: July 06, 2018, 07:10:28 am »
Talking of time nuttery my QRP Labs pseudo GPSDO is broken. Won’t find any satellites. Grr. 1pps is still working and it’s still talking. Looks like software problem (typical!). Considering recycling it and building a PLL for it. Have all the bits lying around. Got 4046 PLL and some 74hc390 dividers and some decent quality IQD crystals. Just need to develop a VCO front end for the crystal to pull it on the PLL output.

Can probably get reasonable stability (within 1Hz)  without a TCXO or OCXO if it is locked.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 07:12:20 am by bd139 »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #12806 on: July 06, 2018, 07:24:06 am »
Talking of time nuttery my QRP Labs pseudo GPSDO is broken. Won’t find any satellites. Grr. 1pps is still working and it’s still talking. Looks like software problem (typical!). Considering recycling it and building a PLL for it. Have all the bits lying around. Got 4046 PLL and some 74hc390 dividers and some decent quality IQD crystals. Just need to develop a VCO front end for the crystal to pull it on the PLL output.

Can probably get reasonable stability (within 1Hz)  without a TCXO or OCXO if it is locked.
Well you do have the PLL and VCO in a single package.  ;)
Build thread ?

Still marvelous some of those old 4k series chips.  :)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12807 on: July 06, 2018, 07:34:29 am »
VCO in the HC4046 is really unstable after a few tens of KHz. If you lock a crystal in the loop it's pretty good though. TBH probably don't need the HC4046 but it has both type 1 and 2 phase comparators so I can have a play on the bench first :)

I love the 4000 series. HC made them fast too  :-+

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #12808 on: July 06, 2018, 09:35:17 am »
The big reveal....Fluke 1900A Multi-Function Counter.

Interesting - the semiconductors almost all appear to be 1979 vintage (think I saw a '78 in there too), but that 'Electrolitico' cap looks like it's early '82.  I wonder if they bought a cargo container of the ICs and used them for years, or if the cap was replaced...  '82 seems pretty early to be replacing a cap.  Hmmm...

The joys of puzzling out the history of old instruments...

Nice score!  Even more so given that it seems to work.  :-+

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12809 on: July 06, 2018, 10:08:51 am »
@nixiefreqq, I confess my sins looking absolution, if it's any consolation, I do have 3  other HP items that I have no intention of parting with, they are 2 x 3466A and 3478A. As for the Nixie, well I think its gone to a good home where it will be treated like a lord.

The 1740A was too large and heavy for my small bench area which is better suited to a smaller size of scope, which my other 3 are. I know it was not all that long ago that I nursed it back to health after it had been sorely neglected by its previous owner and I do know that it has gone a lover of vintage HP gear and will his jewel in the crown, so all's well that ends well. :popcorn:

I suppose it can be looked at as being similar to fostering kittens.  You get them healthy and strong, then let them move on to good homes.  I'm no good at that, which is why I don't foster kittens - I'd have more of them than I currently do test gear.  It's good that some among us can occasionally be dispassionate enough to have the strength to let things move on to new homes when it's appropriate.

-Pat
That's a nice way of looking at it, I like to think of it this way that I'm using my skills to source poorly looked after but salvageable items of TE and restore them back to a condition where they can become a usable and valuable piece of TE in someones collection. Helping to keep good items from becoming landfill in very similar vein to bd139 with his Tek scopes, clean them up, renovate what needs doing, recapping etc, using on the bench for a while and then after proving themselves moving them on again, usually for a reasonable profit or at least covering costs. This in turn releases money for even more TE in need of TLC and so the cycle repeats. Problem is though at the moment there is drought on in all the usual channels.

Just like your kittens, there are those items that have become stickies, 3478A, 3466A, TF930, 8840A, TGP110, XJW01, IG-4005, PM3390B, SS5710, V525 and V-7AU along with numerous others
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 10:13:34 am by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12810 on: July 06, 2018, 10:17:40 am »

Interesting - the semiconductors almost all appear to be 1979 vintage (think I saw a '78 in there too), but that 'Electrolitico' cap looks like it's early '82.  I wonder if they bought a cargo container of the ICs and used them for years, or if the cap was replaced...  '82 seems pretty early to be replacing a cap.  Hmmm...

-Pat
A cap of 82 vintage should be OK, however you can never tell just how it has been used in the past. It might have spent long periods being switched off and switched on when required, or on the other hand, might have switched on in the morning and left on all for 5 days a week, who knows? If its the latter then I'd say it needs to be replaced, its already had a hard life.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #12811 on: July 06, 2018, 10:21:11 am »

There’s a blue Philips “bastardo” in there too! :D. I’d replace that.

Yep, I noticed that. When I purchased the 8800A it was DOA (Dead on Arrival) because of a shorted Philips cap in the +35V supply. The next Mouser order will include replacements. But these radial capacitors are getting more difficult to find in the value needed and are more expensive.   
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12812 on: July 06, 2018, 10:26:40 am »
Unless you really need to preserve the appearance, use a normal cap, stick it in with some hot glue and extend the legs to fit?
Who let Murphy in?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #12813 on: July 06, 2018, 10:33:05 am »

-Pat

All my stuff works...except for that blasted 465  :rant: :rant: and it's annoying the shit out of me. I'm on furlough from work all next week and I plan on doing a re-cap of the Inverter/Regulator boards of the 2465 I bought 2 months ago. I'm going to document that entire process in the 2465 thread. Once that's done I think I'll throw the 465 back up on the bench and try to unfuck my screw up.   

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #12814 on: July 06, 2018, 10:35:08 am »
Unless you really need to preserve the appearance, use a normal cap, stick it in with some hot glue and extend the legs to fit?

Yep, I did that on one of the other Flukes...forget which one. (I have so many  :-DD)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12815 on: July 06, 2018, 10:45:52 am »

-Pat

All my stuff works...except for that blasted 465  :rant: :rant: and it's annoying the shit out of me. I'm on furlough from work all next week and I plan on doing a re-cap of the Inverter/Regulator boards of the 2465 I bought 2 months ago. I'm going to document that entire process in the 2465 thread. Once that's done I think I'll throw the 465 back up on the bench and try to unfuck my screw up.

I see, maybe your Tek is telling you something but you ain't listening to it, get Fluke scopes to go with the rest of your Fluke gear?  :popcorn:
Who let Murphy in?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #12816 on: July 06, 2018, 10:51:54 am »

-Pat

I see, maybe your Tek is telling you something but you ain't listening to it, get Fluke scopes to go with the rest of your Fluke gear?  :popcorn:

Maybe. But Fluke/Philips scopes aren't all that common on this side of the pond. And what would my other 3 Tek scopes think? They just might go  :-BROKE if I did that.  :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12817 on: July 06, 2018, 11:39:06 am »

-Pat

Maybe. But Fluke/Philips scopes aren't all that common on this side of the pond. And what would my other 3 Tek scopes think? They just might go  :-BROKE if I did that.  :-DD
TBH Fluke scopes are quite rare here as well, Philips are also in short supply, of the CRO variety at least, TEK are just the most common ones found.

From mobile device so predictive text might have struck again [emoji83]

Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12818 on: July 06, 2018, 11:52:02 am »
They were common as muck here. Pricing wasn't much different to Tek believe it or not but the service and support was better.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12819 on: July 06, 2018, 12:23:49 pm »
They were common as muck here. Pricing wasn't much different to Tek believe it or not but the service and support was better.
Yeh, this time last year there was loads on ebay, sadly not nowadays.

From mobile device so predictive text might have struck again [emoji83]

Who let Murphy in?

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12820 on: July 06, 2018, 12:33:54 pm »
@nixiefreqq, I confess my sins looking absolution, if it's any consolation, I do have 3  other HP items that I have no intention of parting with, they are 2 x 3466A and 3478A. As for the Nixie, well I think its gone to a good home where it will be treated like a lord.

The 1740A was too large and heavy for my small bench area which is better suited to a smaller size of scope, which my other 3 are. I know it was not all that long ago that I nursed it back to health after it had been sorely neglected by its previous owner and I do know that it has gone a lover of vintage HP gear and will his jewel in the crown, so all's well that ends well. :popcorn:

I suppose it can be looked at as being similar to fostering kittens.  You get them healthy and strong, then let them move on to good homes.  I'm no good at that, which is why I don't foster kittens - I'd have more of them than I currently do test gear.  It's good that some among us can occasionally be dispassionate enough to have the strength to let things move on to new homes when it's appropriate.

-Pat
That's a nice way of looking at it, I like to think of it this way that I'm using my skills to source poorly looked after but salvageable items of TE and restore them back to a condition where they can become a usable and valuable piece of TE in someones collection. Helping to keep good items from becoming landfill in very similar vein to bd139 with his Tek scopes, clean them up, renovate what needs doing, recapping etc, using on the bench for a while and then after proving themselves moving them on again, usually for a reasonable profit or at least covering costs. This in turn releases money for even more TE in need of TLC and so the cycle repeats. Problem is though at the moment there is drought on in all the usual channels.

Just like your kittens, there are those items that have become stickies, 3478A, 3466A, TF930, 8840A, TGP110, XJW01, IG-4005, PM3390B, SS5710, V525 and V-7AU along with numerous others

of course you are correct.  it is your property and you should be able to do as you please, without interference from knuckleheads like me.

BUT on an emotional level:

free range primate

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12821 on: July 06, 2018, 12:40:48 pm »
Just remember if you collect this stuff; when you inevitably drop dead someone is going to have to clear your house out ;)

BTW I actually prefer the Philips stuff to the Tek stuff. Rationale:

1. It's almost almost entirely made of bog standard bits.
2. You can still get all of those bits easily here in the EU.
3. The person who designed most of it, other than the plastic enclosures, doesn't hate the human race :)
4. Most of the service manuals are better than the Tek ones!

Talking of which, I was tempted to have a bash at this. Then I noticed it looks like someone dropped it on the CRT which has outgassed looking at the awful state of the phosphor. Idiots: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232834138143

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12822 on: July 06, 2018, 12:46:27 pm »
Just remember if you collect this stuff; when you inevitably drop dead someone is going to have to clear your house out ;)

BTW I actually prefer the Philips stuff to the Tek stuff. Rationale:

1. It's almost almost entirely made of bog standard bits.
2. You can still get all of those bits easily here in the EU.
3. The person who designed most of it, other than the plastic enclosures, doesn't hate the human race :)
4. Most of the service manuals are better than the Tek ones!

Talking of which, I was tempted to have a bash at this. Then I noticed it looks like someone dropped it on the CRT which has outgassed looking at the awful state of the phosphor. Idiots: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232834138143
Not so sure that isn't where its been in the sun, there's a distinct line of different colour on the left of that screen where the CRT hood has cast a shadow??
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12823 on: July 06, 2018, 12:50:54 pm »
It's a possibility. These are usually pretty blue even with the filter degraded however. If it was a tenner cheaper it'd be a no brainer just for the parts. There's a whole 8085 computer in there. Could just be the rear filter RIFA blown out.

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12824 on: July 06, 2018, 01:13:59 pm »
does this count as a fluke scope?

bought it new over 25 years ago.

its a real dog and only comes out of the tool box on the very rare occasion when there is a need for a floating isolated measurement.

one of those things with which I never really bonded.  would dump it on ebay in a new york heartbeat.

ps  the probes they supplied with it were total POS.
free range primate

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf