Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14806456 times)

Carl_Smith, Jambalaya and 76 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #12950 on: July 08, 2018, 08:23:27 pm »

Oooooh... that's yummy. A part of me wants the whole stack, just to bathe in the warm LED glow...  :palm:

Of course, while I was looking at that... guess what eBay had to "suggest". https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192592446246   :scared:

mnem
Clearing out... clearing out... ARGGGHHH!!! |O
Just to effing big, they really are boat anchors.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #12951 on: July 08, 2018, 11:48:11 pm »
As mentioned I started the PSU re-cap of the 2465. I'm also posting in the 2465B Teardown thread a complete road map from start to finish on how to successfully complete it. I have part 1 posted. Currently writing part 2 and will be posted later. Feel free to add comments/suggestions either here or in that thread.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #12952 on: July 09, 2018, 02:15:47 am »
Awresome!

I did this job on my daily driver 2465 about 10 years ago... It'll be good to revisit and maybe learn somethin'. I too did mine one cap at a time, even though I DO have the full original printed service manual. That weighty tome is some piece of work, particularly their service and troubleshooting flowcharts; a high-intensity course in high-precision analog electronics in its own right.

I might even order the parts and tackle the SMPS from the NASA 2465; although I do have tons of more pressing matters, it really does bother me having it sitting forlornly in the dark of the back of my closet... even if it is in there with several of its brothers.  :-DD

mnem
*Currently going toe-to-toe with a garage full of JENGA*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline TiN

• Super Contributor
    • xDevs.com
« Reply #12953 on: July 09, 2018, 04:41:39 am »
Do. Not. Become. A. Voltnut.  :-DD

YouTube | Metrology IRC Chat room | Let's share T&M documentation? Upload! No upload limits for firmwares, photos, files.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #12954 on: July 09, 2018, 04:51:19 am »
*Hastily scribbles down a few auction numbers of Fluke 87s to plug into gixen tomorrow morning*

mnem
*Scared straight*  :scared:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12955 on: July 09, 2018, 05:08:50 am »
Now that is some serious voltnutery going on there. :o

No trademark q-tips in banana jacks this time?

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #12956 on: July 09, 2018, 05:35:51 am »
Great job with the progress on that 465, med.

OK, so with all the recent Tek talk, for long term use and maintenance, which is the better option, a 465 or a 475 (or no difference in this series)? Of course, more bandwidth is nice with the 475, but at some point the number of unobtanium parts makes old scopes less desirable. I'm just not sure at what point that occurs with the good ol' Teks.
Maybe it's time to start looking at Philips then as they use more standard parts and thus should be able to be kept running correctly with ease?

Yeah, that was actually going to be my next question. Ha!
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

• Super Contributor
Re: HP 58503A 58535A 58529A
« Reply #12957 on: July 09, 2018, 05:40:13 am »
Enough said, let photos tell the story of latest TEA scores.  :palm:

HP 58503A, a dent at the front panel, but not affecting anything inside, tested & working fine, bought from one of the member here.

Since the HP 58503A will be the 2nd GPSDO, an antenna distributor as I only have one GPS antenna, an used Symmetricom 58535A, and it came with a free complementary LNA & GPS L1 bandpass filter Symmetricom 58529A.  :P

Ah, I saw one of those HP GPSDO on eBay last month or thereabouts. Of course, I didn't win it or y'all would've seen it here. What do you like about the 58503 vs. other GPSDO?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12958 on: July 09, 2018, 05:41:46 am »
I'm think I'm suffering from logic probe related TEA syndrome, after building a logic probe kit recently, I saw a GW Instek probe and had to have it!  :-DD

Well, if you have TEA, I suppose there's a propensity to having logic issues.  :-DD

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12959 on: July 09, 2018, 05:46:22 am »
Check this out. When I grow up I want to have the same toys. The owner is the admin for a Vintage Tek Facebook group.

If I had that bench I would never leave home and become that weird old hermit gray beard that no one ever sees. Oh hell, I'm that already!   :palm: :-DD

Amazing collection, med. But if you had all those, you'd probably have to refrain from powering them all up at once lest the neighbors glare at you for the brownouts.

Adding to the POI list.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12960 on: July 09, 2018, 05:50:00 am »
Yep. Got a fan blowing up my arse.

That scammer is back again over and over again. I’ve managed to write a filter that catches that scammer at work. Going to turn it on later I think as it doesn’t appear to result in any false positives. It looks for new sellers it hasn’t seen before and lists all the item titles and if there are at least 5 that match a sample I took by hand it adds the seller to the shitlist. I’ve written half my own eBay API in python now.

So, is this destined to become a new online service? TEAbay, the best way to TEA on eBay.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12961 on: July 09, 2018, 05:57:19 am »
Do. Not. Become. A. Voltnut.  :-DD

Do. Not. Tempt. Us. :-DD

Very nice setup you have on display here. What's the occasion, TiN?

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #12962 on: July 09, 2018, 06:08:19 am »
As mentioned I started the PSU re-cap of the 2465. I'm also posting in the 2465B Teardown thread a complete road map from start to finish on how to successfully complete it. I have part 1 posted. Currently writing part 2 and will be posted later. Feel free to add comments/suggestions either here or in that thread.

Curious. C1018 is a RIFA, but C1016 isn't.

In my first 2465 both were RIFAs and C1016 detonated. In my second, neither were RIFAs.

Has someone "been in there" already?
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12963 on: July 09, 2018, 06:17:45 am »
Okay... a question for the group.

Best bang/buck and accuracy out of the box for a 5.5 digit daily driver meter. At least 6000 count with 10A AC/DC current, (20A preferred, even if only short duration like most Fluke industrial models), impedance beep continuity, and junction test minimum requirements. Would prefer wide format portable. Segmented LCD or matrix display, as long as it has BL. Capacitance preferred.

Essentially what I'd like is a Fluke 87-III ^, with one more digit.

New or used, sub $200, ~$100 preferred.

mnem
*Back out into the suck*

I'm very happy with HP-770D (40.000 counts)
https://www.amazon.de/HoldPeak-Digital-Multimeter-HP-770D-Autorange/dp/B01LW2XE0A

or the smaller brother: HP-770HC (6.000 counts) that have the connector for a separate 600A current plier.
https://www.amazon.de/HoldPeak-HP-770HC-Multimeter-Fehlbedienungssperre-Stromzangenanschluss/dp/B00ZFXAJ3K

Both fit all your requirements and more.

Cheers,
 DC1MC

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #12964 on: July 09, 2018, 06:33:38 am »

Curious. C1018 is a RIFA, but C1016 isn't.

In my first 2465 both were RIFAs and C1016 detonated. In my second, neither were RIFAs.

Has someone "been in there" already?

I noticed that too and as far as I can tell no one has ever been in there.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
Re: HP 58503A 58535A 58529A
« Reply #12965 on: July 09, 2018, 06:35:16 am »
Enough said, let photos tell the story of latest TEA scores.  :palm:

HP 58503A, a dent at the front panel, but not affecting anything inside, tested & working fine, bought from one of the member here.

Since the HP 58503A will be the 2nd GPSDO, an antenna distributor as I only have one GPS antenna, an used Symmetricom 58535A, and it came with a free complementary LNA & GPS L1 bandpass filter Symmetricom 58529A.  :P

Ah, I saw one of those HP GPSDO on eBay last month or thereabouts. Of course, I didn't win it or y'all would've seen it here. What do you like about the 58503 vs. other GPSDO?

Oh, this HP 58503A was not from eBay, bought it local here, from one of member here too.

Have not thoroughly test it yet, but from seller had powered & tested it for > 24h with Lady Heather and everything worked fine. What I like on 1st impression is it has fully cased rather than my other GPSDO board that was unplugged from unknown source, and of course this thing is like de-facto standard too, cmiiw. Also it has well known HP OCXO, not sure about it's life though. It has crushed/dented front panel that I'm going to fix, and also going to replace it's internal switcher PSU as its toasted and lame, I will to launch a new repair thread for it soon.

Bummer, which eBay item you didn't win ? Are you also looking for GPSDO too ?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12966 on: July 09, 2018, 06:54:53 am »
Now that is some serious voltnutery going on there. :o

No trademark q-tips in banana jacks this time?
Gold plated Q-tips for best connectivity of course [emoji38]
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12967 on: July 09, 2018, 06:57:59 am »
I'm think I'm suffering from logic probe related TEA syndrome, after building a logic probe kit recently, I saw a GW Instek probe and had to have it!  :-DD

Well, if you have TEA, I suppose there's a propensity to having logic issues.  :-DD
🤣🤣🤣
Who let Murphy in?

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #12968 on: July 09, 2018, 07:14:08 am »

Indeed!  :scared:

Offline jluu

« Reply #12969 on: July 09, 2018, 07:41:03 am »
Yes, theses Fluke are nice, got one of them cheap recently, it was still calibrated.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #12970 on: July 09, 2018, 08:29:58 am »
Check this out. When I grow up I want to have the same toys. The owner is the admin for a Vintage Tek Facebook group.

If I had that bench I would never leave home and become that weird old hermit gray beard that no one ever sees. Oh hell, I'm that already!   :palm: :-DD

Amazing collection, med. But if you had all those, you'd probably have to refrain from powering them all up at once lest the neighbors glare at you for the brownouts.

Adding to the POI list.

F..k the neighbors!  >:D :-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12971 on: July 09, 2018, 08:37:37 am »
F**k the electricity bill as well  :-DD

Was looking at a Tek 547 the other day. Then I found it pulled 500W out of the wall. Hot enough in here already!

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #12972 on: July 09, 2018, 09:30:42 am »

Was looking at a Tek 547 the other day. Then I found it pulled 500W out of the wall. Hot enough in here already!

But excellent for Winter heat.  :-+

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #12973 on: July 09, 2018, 09:51:58 am »

They certainly don't make them like they used eh!  :palm:

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12974 on: July 09, 2018, 09:55:18 am »

They certainly don't make them like they used eh!  :palm:
Thank go for that, could hardly claim they were environmentally friendly  :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf