Products > Test Equipment

Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread

<< < (25967/26290) > >>

Zenith:

--- Quote from: med6753 on August 15, 2022, 08:34:36 am ---
--- Quote from: Zenith on August 15, 2022, 08:25:01 am ---
The seller said that the HP1703 had an EHT fault, so it might be a difficult fix. Analogue storage scopes tended to have expensive and short lived tubes. It's one to investigate in the long winter months. I expect I shall be able to extract £10 of value/entertainment from it.

--- End quote ---

Tek storage CRT's also have a somewhat short lifespan but can still be used as a "normal" CRT long after the storage function has gone kaput. Don't know if hp storage CRT's can do the same.

Finding a good replacement is a rainbow colored unicorn.

--- End quote ---

I was told by someone who spent many years designing oscilloscopes, and the last 15 years of his working life repairing oscilloscopes, that they went dim very quickly and were generally a PITA. He didn't single out any maker as better or worse.

I have a working HP analogue storage scope and that's something of a PITA to use as a normal scope.

bd139:

--- Quote from: factory on August 14, 2022, 09:16:16 pm ---
If you found HP 427As for £15 then that would be a bargain, I suspect you meant 432A or 435A/B, I'd still pick them up for spares myself at that price, assuming they were complete with feet etc, I think I have an early 432A here that needs a decent meter (has peeling scale disease), the 435 meter is not quite the same (scale labelling is slightly different).

The 1703A looks interesting, OK only 35MHz with analog storage CRT, but can run from low voltage DC, or an optional internal battery.
https://hpmemoryproject.org/an/pdf/sf_1700.pdf

David

--- End quote ---

I didn't look that closely but they weren't 432A (which I have) and they were HP power meters. To me they are basically useless, because of the probes. Anything HP is of interest, if the price is right, but for me that would have been a fiver apiece.

I know you are a connoisseur of these things, and had you been there and seen them, you might have snapped them up.

The seller said that the HP1703 had an EHT fault, so it might be a difficult fix. Analogue storage scopes tended to have expensive and short lived tubes. It's one to investigate in the long winter months. I expect I shall be able to extract £10 of value/entertainment from it.

--- End quote ---

I did consider the 1703 for the knobs and parts if I'm honest. The EHT on them is actually fairly simple though so it might be fixable.

I bought another member of that series a couple of years back for £2 that was rancid just for the parts.

Zenith:

--- Quote from: bd139 on August 15, 2022, 09:31:58 am ---I did consider the 1703 for the knobs and parts if I'm honest. The EHT on them is actually fairly simple though so it might be fixable.

I bought another member of that series a couple of years back for £2 that was rancid just for the parts.

--- End quote ---

I was mainly eyeing up the knobs.

If I fixed it, it would be embarrassing. I would give myself a pat on the back for sorting it out, but it would then be junk rather than rubbish. It would be a fairly useless working scope. But I'd feel reluctant to use it cruelly and rob it of its knobs and any other useful bits. That's not so say I wouldn't do it, but I'd feel a twinge.

Not to attempt to fix it is a few hours of innocent amusement turned down.

The dilemmas this TE addiction presents.

Saskia:
Did I mention that I obtained the missing knobs for the Yamaha KX 260 tapedeck ?

tggzzz:

--- Quote from: Zenith on August 15, 2022, 08:45:43 am ---
--- Quote from: med6753 on August 15, 2022, 08:34:36 am ---

--- End quote ---

Tek storage CRT's also have a somewhat short lifespan but can still be used as a "normal" CRT long after the storage function has gone kaput. Don't know if hp storage CRT's can do the same.

Finding a good replacement is a rainbow colored unicorn.

--- End quote ---

I was told by someone who spent many years designing oscilloscopes, and the last 15 years of his working life repairing oscilloscopes, that they went dim very quickly and were generally a PITA. He didn't single out any maker as better or worse.

I have a working HP analogue storage scope and that's something of a PITA to use as a normal scope.

--- End quote ---

They always were a pain in the backside, and the principal use case for digitising scope. A Tek 464 a few of years ago merely confirmed that opinion, before I flipped it.

Having said that, as I mentioned to you yesterday, I have a 3 channel dual beam 10MHz Telequipment DM63 storage scope that is actually pleasant to use (now that the trace doesn't fade at 100Hz :) ) I was planning on flipping it for the reasons above and to reclaim space, but now I'm in two minds!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version