Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14813794 times)

Peter_O and 99 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #13150 on: July 13, 2018, 06:40:39 pm »
I'll let fleaBay sort it out. Once I leave negative feedback I can't take it back, and it shows bad faith re: the negotiation process when I turn it over to eBay Dispute Resolution. The unit is visibly materially different from the auction photos. If eBay Dispute Resolution locks out feedback for this transaction, I'll live with it and just add his username to the eBay plonkers list on Facebook.

Heh. A seller touting, "You will have to ask ebay to step in and decide the matter," instantly qualifies him/her for the plonkers list in my book. :--
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13151 on: July 13, 2018, 06:42:45 pm »
I’ve actually just had to say that with signal generator dude.  :-//

It got delivered and signed for and Argos sent it back because he didn’t collect it because he had buggered off on holiday but it hasn’t arrived here. I’m not going to refund unless I get the goods back.

YMMV but that dude knew he was selling a turd and is now gambling with eBay. If you resolve in your favour eBay will cancel the transaction and you can’t leave feedback then so he gets to pull it again tens of times and no one will ever know.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 06:44:31 pm by bd139 »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13152 on: July 13, 2018, 07:31:25 pm »
Ebay will refund you and you get to keep the meter as well.  I had an a hole customer when I was selling some decorative 13A wall sockets on BIN. All sealed in original makers plastic bags, he wanted 3 so I gave him a deal, 3 for 2, he then made me wait 3 days for the money, as soon as he paid, I wrapped each one in bubble wrap and packed them carefully in a box, again wrapped in bubble wrap. Posted them the same day on a signed and tracked service and let him know that they were dispatched.

They were signed for by him the next day and almost a week later I emailed him asking if he would leave me feedback. Within minutes I had a message stating that he wanted to return them as one was scratched. I asked for a photo as I had said no returns and I had photos of each one being bubble wrapped and they were packed in such a fashion that they could not scratch each other even without the bubble wrap. Anyway after a bit of toing and froing and me talking to Ebay as I offered this guy a partial refund so he was in effect then only paying for 1 socket but no, he wanted me to pay for return postage and give a full refund. I printed a returns label from Ebay and emailed it to him, a week later I got the sockets back, 2 had the sealed bags opened, the scratch was hardly visible and was covered when the plug was inserted, they were also not even protected from scratching each other as they were floating around in the box with no bubble wrap around them or in the box.

This pissed me off, I spoke to Ebay again they told not to refund him because of it and that they would issue a refund to him, so I ended with slightly damaged goods and his money. He even had the cheek when leaving feedback to knock me on dispatch time so I have a rating now of 4.9/5 bastard, before then I had 5 stars for everything.

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #13153 on: July 13, 2018, 07:36:01 pm »

It got delivered and signed for and Argos sent it back because he didn’t collect it because he had buggered off on holiday but it hasn’t arrived here. I’m not going to refund unless I get the goods back.

YMMV but that dude knew he was selling a turd and is now gambling with eBay. If you resolve in your favour eBay will cancel the transaction and you can’t leave feedback then so he gets to pull it again tens of times and no one will ever know.

No question. But this is how eBay has set up their system; and it is a risk you take every time you put your money in the bin. There's a reason Amazon gets more and more of my business, and fleaBay gets less and less.  :palm: So the Bad Sellers list gets another name, and maybe one user in a thousand looks there first. I'll admit I didn't; I looked at his feedback history, almost as old as mine and 100%, and I bid with confidence.  ::)

Now here's an interesting twist re: the bunk scratch-magnet screen for my phone.

I started a return on it; I was ready to send it back to him and buy another screen from a local vendor I've done business with before, even though it means waiting for him to get it and paying more. He just got back in touch with me; turns out, NOBODY has OEM glass for this phone. He couldn't get any supplier who could deliver a confirmed Gorilla Glass (or Mineral Glass of any sort) screen for my phone from any of his contacts.

Looking back on my purchase, the screen came in a box from Centaurus Electronics, a vendor on eBay who evidently specializes in the cheap Chinesium phones. He suspects this vendor may very well have custom ordered them, and everybody who's selling this screen is getting them from Centaurus. Looking at the listings, it does appear they all lifted their text direct from his listing.

So now what do I do? Bash this vendor for selling me a poor quality screen, when that's all that he or anybody else could get?

Or be glad I have my phone back, and just live with the fact it needs a screen protector, even though that makes the touch sensitivity all out of whack?

|O

mnem
*Back into the pit*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #13154 on: July 13, 2018, 07:43:45 pm »
Ebay will refund you and you get to keep the meter as well.  I had an a hole customer when I was selling some decorative 13A wall sockets on BIN. All sealed in original makers plastic bags, he wanted 3 so I gave him a deal, 3 for 2, he then made me wait 3 days for the money, as soon as he paid, I wrapped each one in bubble wrap and packed them carefully in a box, again wrapped in bubble wrap. Posted them the same day on a signed and tracked service and let him know that they were dispatched.

They were signed for by him the next day and almost a week later I emailed him asking if he would leave me feedback. Within minutes I had a message stating that he wanted to return them as one was scratched. I asked for a photo as I had said no returns and I had photos of each one being bubble wrapped and they were packed in such a fashion that they could not scratch each other even without the bubble wrap. Anyway after a bit of toing and froing and me talking to Ebay as I offered this guy a partial refund so he was in effect then only paying for 1 socket but no, he wanted me to pay for return postage and give a full refund. I printed a returns label from Ebay and emailed it to him, a week later I got the sockets back, 2 had the sealed bags opened, the scratch was hardly visible and was covered when the plug was inserted, they were also not even protected from scratching each other as they were floating around in the box with no bubble wrap around them or in the box.

This pissed me off, I spoke to Ebay again they told not to refund him because of it and that they would issue a refund to him, so I ended with slightly damaged goods and his money. He even had the cheek when leaving feedback to knock me on dispatch time so I have a rating now of 4.9/5 bastard, before then I had 5 stars for everything.

I thought eBay locked out the shipping time field when you shipped the same day as payment?

Don't fret too much... 4.9 is still awesome, and in a year that'll clear up, as they only count the last 12 months in the metrics.

mnem
*currently nuking a lightsaber*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13155 on: July 13, 2018, 07:50:59 pm »

I thought eBay locked out the shipping time field when you shipped the same day as payment?

Don't fret too much... 4.9 is still awesome, and in a year that'll clear up, as they only count the last 12 months in the metrics.

mnem
*currently nuking a lightsaber*
Nah, not fretting over it just annoyed at him when all the delay was on his part, delayed paying me and delayed telling there was a problem then even more delay in him sending the items back but it was my rating that took the hit grrr. My seller status with Ebay is above average so they tell me so I'm happy with that.

His rating as a buyer was 100% but I was prevented from leaving him feedback...
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13156 on: July 13, 2018, 08:15:14 pm »
My eBay account says “member from 2014”. I had some shenanigans with a fraudster who ripped me off for £800 for an iMac I was selling. PayPal took refund out of my account although the buyer just sent the box back. No shit.

Bank sided with me and raised it as PayPal fraud and refunded the money.

Cue the debt collectors. The sick nefarious bastard I am I like intimidating them until they go bright red or try and hit me  :-DD

I now run a mule account via Halifax with balance zero.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13157 on: July 13, 2018, 08:23:33 pm »
Yep, there are some real bastards out there and its up to us look after ourselves and each other as much as possible, its a real shame that we aren't able to name and shame them. But then, they are really beyond shame, they couldn't care less because just like you they probably also run mule accounts and operate from multiple addresses and names to avoid being caught. >:D
Who let Murphy in?

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #13158 on: July 13, 2018, 08:29:28 pm »
... and just add his username to the eBay plonkers list on Facebook.

Reference?
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13159 on: July 13, 2018, 08:38:22 pm »
There’s a shitlist here: https://myip.ms/browse/ebay_blacklist/Blacklist_Ebay_Buyers_Live_DB.html

Edit: there are a few actually. I might build an aggregator for them.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13160 on: July 13, 2018, 08:42:08 pm »
There’s a shitlist here: https://myip.ms/browse/ebay_blacklist/Blacklist_Ebay_Buyers_Live_DB.html

Looking at that list USA suffers the most.
Who let Murphy in?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13161 on: July 13, 2018, 09:35:43 pm »

When I had that kind of issue with a buyer, I contacted eBay to get an immediate ruling on it before the buyer could weasel a different outcome.

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13162 on: July 13, 2018, 09:42:17 pm »
Says ready for collection in their system so not my funeral :)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13163 on: July 13, 2018, 09:46:32 pm »

Thanks. I need to check this stuff before buying.

Like mnem, I buy more from Amazon these days. Their customer service is so much better. However, I didn't like selling on Amazon when I used it a few years ago due to having to take returns for no reason and their unreasonable shipping price restrictions (i.e., can't charge what it actually costs you, only as much as they allow).

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13164 on: July 13, 2018, 09:47:13 pm »
Says ready for collection in their system so not my funeral :)

Yep, your situation seems OK. It's pretty straightforward, but some buyers will try anything. :palm:

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13165 on: July 13, 2018, 09:52:19 pm »

Thanks. I need to check this stuff before buying.

Like mnem, I buy more from Amazon these days. Their customer service is so much better. However, I didn't like selling on Amazon when I used it a few years ago due to having to take returns for no reason and their unreasonable shipping price restrictions (i.e., can't charge what it actually costs you, only as much as they allow).
Amazon also problems, I got done by a dodgy seller and Amazon didn't resolve it either way. They are however very good if the seller uses their packing and delivery service.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline GregDunn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13166 on: July 13, 2018, 10:01:07 pm »
Hi, my name is Greg and I'm a test equipmentaholic.

Hamfests are money sinks, right?  But I figured: $8 to get in, nothing really lost if I don't find anything.  Of course, immediately I see a table with some decent brand-name gear on it, and I start scanning for the model numbers.  I really wanted another power supply for testing analog breadboards - look! Here's an HP 6236B just like we used to have in the lab.  And a nice DMM so I could measure voltage and current simultaneously on amplifiers - oh!  A Fluke 8600A in great condition.

They had low prices on them, but there was a bigger sign saying "MAKE OFFER", so I did.  He accepted, which made back my entry fee and more, on just the power supply.  It will replace an old beater supply I picked up for $10 a long time ago, and is far nicer in every way.  And the Fluke: someone told me autoranging meters were addictive.  They were right.

Offline pigrew

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13167 on: July 13, 2018, 10:01:35 pm »
My University is trashing a bunch of components, and random crap. It makes me sad, and I'm grabbing way too much stuff I'll never use. I'm an addict. I need help.

What are we supposed to do with hundreds of 74S logic ICs, X5S capacitors, AC transformers, and 5% carbon resistors? There doesn't seem to be much of a market anymore, but I do wish the young students would learn how to use this stuff.

I picked up a box of wire wrap sockets, EEPROM programmer, Hall effect current sensors, tantalums, triax cable, stepper motor controller, and 250 lbs of other stuff I'll rarely use.

Maybe I'll be able to give some of it back next semester for the design students to use...

(And how do I post anonymously?)

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #13168 on: July 13, 2018, 10:05:30 pm »
My University is trashing a bunch of components, and random crap. It makes me sad, and I'm grabbing way too much stuff I'll never use. I'm an addict. I need help.

What are we supposed to do with hundreds of 74S logic ICs, X5S capacitors, AC transformers, and 5% carbon resistors? There doesn't seem to be much of a market anymore, but I do wish the young students would learn how to use this stuff.

I picked up a box of wire wrap sockets, EEPROM programmer, Hall effect current sensors, tantalums, triax cable, stepper motor controller, and 250 lbs of other stuff I'll rarely use.

Maybe I'll be able to give some of it back next semester for the design students to use...

(And how do I post anonymously?)

Pictures like that make me cry.  Good on you for rescuing what you can.  74XX ICs can be very useful to those restoring old gear that used them, and many types are going obsolete and no longer readily available.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline Johnny10

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13169 on: July 13, 2018, 10:06:10 pm »
Those old Triplett meters are nice. You need larger pics so we can drool over all the free stuff!
Tektronix TDS7104, DMM4050, HP 3561A, HP 35665, Tek 2465A, HP8903B, DSA602A, Tek 7854, 7834, HP3457A, Tek 575, 576, 577 Curve Tracers, Datron 4000, Datron 4000A, DOS4EVER uTracer, HP5335A, EIP534B 20GHz Frequency Counter, TrueTime Rubidium, Sencore LC102, Tek TG506, TG501, SG503, HP 8568B

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #13170 on: July 13, 2018, 10:17:16 pm »

Hamfests are money sinks, right?  But I figured: $8 to get in, nothing really lost if I don't find anything.  Of course, immediately I see a table with some decent brand-name gear on it, and I start scanning for the model numbers.  I really wanted another power supply for testing analog breadboards - look! Here's an HP 6236B just like we used to have in the lab.  And a nice DMM so I could measure voltage and current simultaneously on amplifiers - oh!  A Fluke 8600A in great condition.

They had low prices on them, but there was a bigger sign saying "MAKE OFFER", so I did.  He accepted, which made back my entry fee and more, on just the power supply.  It will replace an old beater supply I picked up for $10 a long time ago, and is far nicer in every way.  And the Fluke: someone told me autoranging meters were addictive.  They were right.

Welcome to our world.  :-DD :-+
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13171 on: July 13, 2018, 10:24:34 pm »

Welcome to the party :)

HP6236B is a lovely power supply. I recently got a 6237B

Also had an 8600A not that long ago :)

Hamfests are dangerous. Lots of bargains. Shame there aren’t that many decent ones here in the UK any more.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #13172 on: July 13, 2018, 10:26:02 pm »
Ever have one of these crap out? I did.  :rant:  :wtf:

Caused my Kindle Fire to lock up. Luckily there wasn't much of anything important on it. And once I removed it the Kindle booted and re-formatted itself and is working fine.

Neither of my laptops can accommodate these micro SD's so I can't check it. 

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #13173 on: July 13, 2018, 10:33:07 pm »
Hamfests are dangerous. Lots of bargains. Shame there aren’t that many decent ones here in the UK any more.

The last hamfest I went to didn't have nuthin worth considering. And what was there was a whole bunch of wishful thinking. For example: a B&K 2120 20Mhz scope identical to mine for $60 USD. And it was beat up!  :--

Offline pigrew

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13174 on: July 13, 2018, 10:43:01 pm »
I'm
Those old Triplett meters are nice. You need larger pics so we can drool over all the free stuff!

I'm a child, brought up in the digital & solid state age (except for CRTs). Those meters don't have an ADC. :)

I ordered a Kepco 1000V supply the other day from eBay. I didn't pay attention that the "OPS 1000" wasn't an "OPS100B". It was delivered, and what did I find? a pentode. My first reaction was to search DigiKey for high voltage FETs and tear out the electron valve. I've not yet gotten up the courage to warm up the beast, probably should do so with a variac.  (Don't worry, I realized that using a vacuum tube is a reasonable choice, even today, for such high voltages. I've been scared away from GaN by blowing up too many depletion mode FETs due to issues with power-supply ordering and oscillations.).

In my real life, I'm struggling with deciding between waveguide and coax for doing some Q-band measurements. I've never used waveguide before, but the waveguide RF thingies seem to have better performance. On the other hand, I'm used to using coax, though this is getting towards needing 1.85mm everything.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf