Products > Test Equipment

Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread

<< < (26470/27176) > >>

themadhippy:

--- Quote ---. now I guess all that's left to do is scrap it for parts.
--- End quote ---
what could you use that meter for?

--- Quote ---A small panel meter should be "just right" and still look quite retro.
--- End quote ---

Vince:

--- Quote from: themadhippy on December 11, 2022, 03:22:58 pm ---

--- Quote ---. now I guess all that's left to do is scrap it for parts.
--- End quote ---
what could you use that meter for?

--- Quote ---A small panel meter should be "just right" and still look quite retro.
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Well that meter movement is HUGE... for my load enclosure, the available real estate to fit a meter is minuscule, can only be small 7 segment displays or one technology or another, or a baregraph, not much else..
Plus I don't have technical means to print a news scale for it, I need amps not watts...

Vince:

--- Quote from: xrunner on December 11, 2022, 03:11:04 pm ---
--- Quote from: Vince on December 11, 2022, 02:15:50 pm ---Today on the podium we have this Férisol NA300A mW meter.

I have no use for it but I understand these things are still popular. SO since it's a decent brand and looked in decent nick cosmetically (sorry didn't clean it), I didn't have the heart no to take it, knowing it would end up in the scrap yard soon.

So I only took it, hoping someone here might want it ?

I mean for free of course... it's worse nothing anyway I guess, it's not an HP and has a special probe connector and no probe with it so... maybe use it for parts ? Wattmeter specific part that might be reusable in other brands/models of watt meters ?

--- End quote ---

Probably the same story as with hp power meters - no sensor comes with most of them. The sensor is what brings the BUCKS, and so, if there are any left that haven't been misused (that is - burned out due to mistakes), prepare to shell out the CASH for that part.  :)

--- End quote ---

I don't know where you got the impression I was trying to spend money to get this TE working ?!  ;D
Besides, unlike HP where money could probably get you a probe.... for a niche and local manufacturer like Ferisol, I doubt any amount of cash could get you that probe, it's smiply not out there.
No amount of money can get you something that simply does not exist any more...

themadhippy:

--- Quote ---Well that meter movement is HUGE... for my load enclosure, the available real estate to fit a meter is minuscule,
--- End quote ---
your attacking it from the wrong end,chuck the load in the meter case

--- Quote --- I don't have technical means to print a news scale for it, I need amps not watt
--- End quote ---
wot you aint got tippex and a sharpie? or a printer and glue.

id bite yer hand of for that meter if you was in the uk ,but wouldn't trust it getting here  in a working condition if a postie or courier  was  involved

Vince:

Another one from the haul :

A rack mount Ballantine Laboratories, type 320A, made in the USA, rings a bell ?

Found a manual for the type 320 not 320A.
All hollow state technology inside.

It's an RMS voltmeter, but a real one.
I didn't even know one could make such fancy things as an RMS meter in the hollow-state era... apparently you could.

According to the stuff makred on the front panel, it can go up to 4MHz and handle a crest factor of 5 or even 15 depending how you use it.
Not too shabby eh ?

Quite a wide dynamic range as well, full scale from 300µV up to 300V.

The "mode" switch gives you 4 choices : 

- Null Detector
- RMS Meter
- Mean Square
- Amplifier

Popped the hood to see what it's like inside. Found a bug fossilized on the chassis. Probably explains why the instrument acts weirdly, the bug must have corrupted the firmware on the CPU board, bummer  :palm:

so I tried to power it up... because I just can't help, I am curious...

It's american but thanks to my 25+ collection of hollow-state Tek scopes I have.... one, just one power cable...

Buzzed the socket. Ground pin makes good contact with the chassis, no short anywhere, primary reads 20+ ohms.... good.
So I fired it up through my Dim bulb tester, which lit very.. dimly. Let it there for a couple minute to let caps reform... bulb still dim, good.
Could see some tubes inside light up a bit, good too.

So I removed the DBT to give full power to the instrument, crossing fingers..... yeah, works fine, does not trip any breaker !  8)

Pilot lamp does not light because... I checked, there is no bulb behind the red cover  ::)

The meter movement looks nice and in like new condition. Razor shaprt needle and equipped with a mirror.

I applied a signal to the input with my sig gen. THe meter does react... in weird and wonderful ways, depending what position you set the range switch to....

One some ranges it behaves almost sensibly, though it reads way off. I will contact the manufacturer and ask for my money back.

At the least it's clear that the meter movement can move freely from left to right, so that's the most important I guess.
The rest if just tubes and circuitry, it can be replaced / fixed.

Boat anchors are worth nothing here, so again I am offering free to a good home... before I take it apart to salvage what can be.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version