Products > Test Equipment

Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread

<< < (26810/27245) > >>

m k:

--- Quote from: Peter_O on May 28, 2023, 04:52:58 pm ---First look with a IR camera shows the transformer running at 50 C and I'm not sure if that's OK.

--- End quote ---

I'd say it's not hot nor not OK, that is not necessary the opposite.
But quite visible it is, maybe fixed temp range would be better.

Neomys Sapiens:

--- Quote from: Peter_O on May 28, 2023, 05:43:52 pm ---
--- Quote from: wkb on May 28, 2023, 05:17:01 pm ---The TO3 has a 1978 date code.

--- End quote ---
thx. That would explain the scratch writing on the chassis belot that one.

--- End quote ---
If you get it up and running, this is certainly the grab of the week! That series makes for indispensable lab aids. While I have an 8347A, an 8447E, an 465A, and an 466A I'm also looking for one in-between the performance of those.

Neomys Sapiens:
Does anyone round here have some actual experience with the AFGs from Pragmatic?

vk6zgo:

--- Quote from: Peter_O on May 28, 2023, 04:52:58 pm ---An all purpose amp has good arguments to be bought.
This one was 30 Euros.
After a first test it seems to work in general.

First look with a IR camera shows the transformer running at 50 C and I'm not sure if that's OK.

And I have a doubt that there has been someone tinkering already, because
- there are scratched writings,
- I'm not sure if there has been shrink tube in 1969,
- there are kind of make shift cooling fins.

--- End quote ---

Yep, shrink tube was around in 1969.

We tried some very large shrink tube back then, to try to hold a cable form together but in those days such sizes were made from a different material to the smaller diameters.
The resultant form turned out to be too stiff to feed through the cable ducts, so we had to revert to lacing the form by hand.

srb1954:

--- Quote from: vk6zgo on May 29, 2023, 12:45:28 am ---
Yep, shrink tube was around in 1969.

We tried some very large shrink tube back then, to try to hold a cable form together but in those days such sizes were made from a different material to the smaller diameters.
The resultant form turned out to be too stiff to feed through the cable ducts, so we had to revert to lacing the form by hand.

--- End quote ---
Or it could have been the predecessor to heat-shrink which was a chemical shrinking process. The tubing came immersed in a special chemical and sealed in a can. When the tubing was removed from the can and exposed to air it would shrink down.

It is a product that is now long gone, which is probably a good thing. I expect it used 100% carcinogenic chemicals as was the norm back in those days.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version