Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14549253 times)

Wolfgang, Qw3rtzuiop, MVSantos and 18 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #15725 on: September 01, 2018, 02:12:40 am »
just so you know..... was unaware of that listing and was not the guy bidding against you.

But it sure looks like a beautiful piece of frequency counter history, and I am jealous.

(it makes my old beat up 522b look kinda' sad)

freq

I dunno - relative to the near beaten to death 522B I got a few years ago yours look pretty good by comparison!  That's a lovely specimen of old iron you have there...   :-+ :-+

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15726 on: September 01, 2018, 05:16:47 am »

Did anyone buy this very nice but very expensive boatanchor?

David

Way too expensive, but would I like to have one!

... and this thread grew another 3 pages just since yesterday evening! Reading it is becoming a full time job ...

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15727 on: September 01, 2018, 05:39:35 am »

I have all my stuff in the living room too! LOL
Well apart from the stuff I have jammed under the bed and in a few cupboards and stuff  ;D

It's brutal not having a separate room for all your stuff eh?

Living room, dining room, kitchen, hall, bedroom/lab, basement, barn attic.   :o

It's brutal not having a female type about to moderate my Ebay surfing...   :-DD

-Pat

Exactly my sentiment after reading yesterdays posts. Strangely, I quite often wish I had a girlfriend or wife to stop me piling up ever more stuff, converting the whole house into a store-room. At least she'd kick me in the butt so I'd let go of some of it ...  :palm:
My (main) computer is in the living-cum-dining-cum-office-room, but this is where I will tolerate no TEA stuff (except for unpacking and a first photo session). As long as I can keep it that way, I pretend being a 'normal' person ...

Ero-shan
You are kidding of course, it could be full of.... Shoes.... Handbags...... Clothes....... Makeup..... Jewellery....
Knitting.... Cake making or cake decoration bits and bobs. So which would you prefer? [emoji16]

I must admit that I still have most of the sewing gear of my late mom (which is quite useful at times). And, as I love eating pies and cakes, I also bake them regularly (at least once a week). But there's not much of decoration besides crumbles, so no precious space is lost. :)
But I guess my lab would then be our bedroom.  My current bedroom might have turned into the closet for her clothes and something resembling the outlet of a shoe factory. :-[

I stand corrected!

An arrangement like med's, however,  would be ideal, and she'd even be allowed to nudge me in the right direction. Or try to.  :-DD

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15728 on: September 01, 2018, 05:42:44 am »
Some pics of my HP 4260A that just arrived yesterday.

I was a bit concerned about the packaging of the unit when I felt it moving inside the cardbox package when moving it..   :scared:

But I was lucky the seller did what I asked him to pad it well on all sides and espacially the front with its knobs: He did.   :-+
The instrument was wrapped in bubble wrap. Extra loose layers of bubble wrap were stuffed into the cardbox at front and rear of the instrument but not enough to prevent sliding the 4260A back and forth inside the cardbox. It was enough at last.   :phew:

The seller made a mask out of rigid foam fitted to the front surrounding the knobs in a way that the bubble wrap could be effective in padding the instrument.

With all that done the 4260A survived shipping without visible damage -and, what's most important to me, the feet are intact.   :-+   :-DD

We're on eevblog, aren't we? Before I switched it on I took it apart.   8)
No obvious mechanical or electrical damages inside. Switched it to 230V mains, adjusted all controls for switching it on as described in the manual and pressed the button. Nothing exploded or started to throw flames.   ;)

I measured some caps to test if it's working and yeah, it kind of is. Have to investigate that later.
A 1µF foil cap measures 1,1µF on the xxx.xµF and xx.xxµF range (978nF with a HP 4263A). That's a bit out for an instrument with 1% base accuracy.
Next, a 68nF foil cap measures 69,8nF on the xxx.xnF range. Not too bad.
Sadly, a 470µF (456µF with  4263A) measures around 70µF without being able to be measured anything other than Cp auto mode only.

Based on what I have already read and understood of the basic working principles of this instrument and measuring bridges in common is that the different ranges each contain reference components. Some of them might be out of spec. My repair has just grown by one..   :palm:

Besides that I will clean the outside a bit but won't do any further restoration since the outside looks used but still quiet good. It's an old instrument so it is OK for me that it shows its age and use. Doesn't have to look like new.
Inside it looks pristine.  :-+
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 05:47:59 am by URI »
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15729 on: September 01, 2018, 05:52:50 am »

I'm thinking maybe hoarding is either a by product of having TEA or its a prerequisite for TEA  :-DD

If is a by product my mother would have to be the biggest test equipment addict of all! Were talking about a woman who, at one point, saved hundreds of pasta sauce jars.  :-DD

She's probably not just collecting them, but has a real use for them as well (Marmalade?). I have hundreds of preserving jars. I also use them (this year's peaches are numerous, but hardly bigger than their stones - not worth the effort of preserving them).

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15730 on: September 01, 2018, 06:07:54 am »

Did anyone buy this very nice but very expensive boatanchor?

David

:-[  <sheepishly raises hand> 

In my defense, it's the first time I've ever seen one come up, I've been searching for one for a long time (over four years now), and it looks pretty pristine.  I was not going to let it get away if I could help it. 

That being said, bidding two seconds too early cost me $70 because it gave the other guy time to bump his bid by another $60 in literally the last second of the auction.
 |O

Now the hunt 524 variants remains... :palm:

-Pat

What a wonderful piece of machinery you've got here! Congratulations! Looks like it can be operated with heavy gloves. The slit screw heads are somewhat strange for an American instrument, however.

I don't think one of these will ever show up on the german bay.  :(

Waiting for pictures of it undressed.  8)

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #15731 on: September 01, 2018, 06:15:52 am »

I was a bit concerned about the packaging of the unit when I felt it moving inside the cardbox package when moving it..   :scared:

But I was lucky the seller did what I asked him to pad it well on all sides and espacially the front with its knobs: He did.   :-+

Based on what I have already read and understood of the basic working principles of this instrument and measuring bridges in common is that the different ranges each contain reference components. Some of them might be out of spec. My repair has just grown by one..   :palm:

Besides that I will clean the outside a bit but won't do any further restoration since the outside looks used but still quiet good. It's an old instrument so it is OK for me that it shows its age and use. Doesn't have to look like new.
Inside it looks pristine.  :-+

Looks quite good, indeed. If it becomes part of a stack, you won't see the scratches on top. The cracked lens is a bummer, but it has all its pieces and stays in place, so it's not too bad. My HP variac arrived and it's much dirtier, plus all the vinyl-coated panels are very sticky. Ewww.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15732 on: September 01, 2018, 06:27:23 am »
My HP variac arrived and it's much dirtier, plus all the vinyl-coated panels are very sticky. Ewww.

Have you got a good recipe for removing the sticky-ness? Most of my 6114A are also very sticky. Touching them is rather disgusting.
I've tried a few things, but didn't keep records, so I've forgotten. But it was all ineffective.  :(

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15733 on: September 01, 2018, 06:30:05 am »
[..]

Looks quite good, indeed. If it becomes part of a stack, you won't see the scratches on top. The cracked lens is a bummer, but it has all its pieces and stays in place, so it's not too bad.

The lens isn't cracked, in fact it's a deep scratch. Too deep to polish it away. But the scale behind it is still readable without any problems.

My HP variac arrived and it's much dirtier, plus all the vinyl-coated panels are very sticky. Ewww.

Have you got a good recipe for removing the sticky-ness? Most of my 6114A are also very sticky. Touching them is rather disgusting.
I've tried a few things, but didn't keep records, so I've forgotten. But it was all ineffective.  :(

I'm glad that my 4260A only has a bit of dirt on its vinyl-coated surfaces. That should wash away easily.
I use a magic sponge for cleaning those vinyl-coated panels. Works here to my satisfaction. Perhaps it works for removing the stickiness also?

« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 06:35:52 am by URI »

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15734 on: September 01, 2018, 06:34:52 am »

Wanted to use the boat anchor icon...   :palm:

Not the kind of instrument, I'm after but I think here are some TEA-fellows that could feed their addiction with it..   >:D

https://www.ebay.com/itm/392115141964
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 06:38:58 am by URI »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15735 on: September 01, 2018, 07:15:39 am »

On my HP 3468A meter, I got most of it off by soaking in degreaser, then using Goo Gone followed by dish soap to remove the Goo Gone. I had to repeat several times.

I'm glad that my 4260A only has a bit of dirt on its vinyl-coated surfaces. That should wash away easily.
I use a magic sponge for cleaning those vinyl-coated panels. Works here to my satisfaction. Perhaps it works for removing the stickiness also?

I haven't tried melamine sponges for sticky residue. The sponges are abrasive, so I use them sparingly on coated surfaces. They work great to clean solid rubber bumpers, though.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15736 on: September 01, 2018, 07:17:54 am »
Wanted to use the boat anchor icon...   :palm:

Hehe. I'm quite happy with the way it turned out. Looks neat thanks to mnem's suggestion to further simplify the design.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #15737 on: September 01, 2018, 08:42:08 am »
What a wonderful piece of machinery you've got here! Congratulations! Looks like it can be operated with heavy gloves. The slit screw heads are somewhat strange for an American instrument, however.

I don't think one of these will ever show up on the german bay.  :(

Waiting for pictures of it undressed.  8)

Thank you, and I will definitely be posting some nekkid pictures of it when it gets here.

The slotted screw heads are not that out of place given its vintage.  The 'father' of this counter came out in 1958 (it was called out as 'New!' in the 1958 catalog).  It was in the more 'vertical' style cabinet (13.75"w x 16.25"h x 20.25"d; ~34.9 x 41.3 x 51.5cm) , like the 608 series signal generators.  The 523B was last seen in the 1960 catalog.

The first 'direct' ancestors appear in the 1959 HP catalog - the 523CR and DR.  The CR is the nixie tube version, and the DR is the columnar one.  I'm assuming that the 'R' in the model number calls them out as rack mount devices, as that's what they are, in 19" rack chassis that are 8.75"h x 16"d (~22.2 x 40.6cm).  (Interestingly, they are proudly proclaimed as 'New!' in both the 1959 AND 1960 catalogs.  :-// )

The 'bench' style 523C and D (no 'R' suffix, but the same basic chassis in a cabinet) make their debut in the 1961 catalog, with the rack mount versions having the 'R' suffix showing as an ordering option.  Looking at the photos of the one I bought on the 'bay, it appears (and to me it would be foolish to do otherwise from a manufacturing standpoint) that the basic chassis are identical, with 'R' versions getting sheet metal covers affixed to the top & bottom flanges of their side rails, and bench units being installed 'naked' into their enclosures.  At the time, that huge, beefy sheet metal enclosure added $25.00 to the cost of the unit.

The instrument I bought has a 139 serial number prefix, so it is the engineering rev from late September in 1961.

It will be interesting going through this thing and getting it up to scratch - based on appearance, there shouldn't be too much to do.  <fingers crossed that I didn't just jinx myself>

-Pat

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #15738 on: September 01, 2018, 08:51:22 am »

I've had good success giving them long soaks in warm water with Dawn (a brand here in the US) dish soap and a splash of ammonia.  This seems to work quite well for getting the gumminess off.  That's what I used on the panels of the HP 3460B. 

https://pmanning.smugmug.com/Electronics/HP-3460B-Digital-Voltmeter

For the front panel, knobs and buttons, the lion's share of the crud came off with paper towels and Windex, though I think I used some denatured alcohol here and there, too.  That I tend to be more sparing with as it can sometimes take some paint with it, too.  As always, test for compatibility in an inconspicuous spot.

-Pat

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #15739 on: September 01, 2018, 11:11:09 am »
Who says we can't have both?

Wasn't me. Adding. :clap:

:clap:     :-+

Done. See the new section, "Post Icons," in the OP. https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/
Nice idea - I like it....

... maybe a bit too much.   ;D

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15740 on: September 01, 2018, 11:44:27 am »
Success this morning. Sorted the Heathkit RF-1U. Replaced the selenium rectifier and filter capacitors with a 1n4007 and a couple of electrolytics hanging off a new tag strip. This was followed by adding a three core mains lead. All done and it works pretty well. Dial calibration is out but this appears to be consistent across bands so i can just move the reduction drive shaft a little bit.

Will post some photos later once I’ve calibrated it.

It runs, once settled at around 144 volts on the B+ which is 20v higher than the manual says but should be fine. I used 350v caps and didn’t change any resistors, just moved them a bit. I spent an hour working out how to do as little as possible to it :)

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #15741 on: September 01, 2018, 11:54:40 am »
Good deal, looking forward to see the pix. Aren't there trimmers on the main tuning capacitor to sort out the dial calibration? There should be.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15742 on: September 01, 2018, 12:07:16 pm »
There’s one on the chassis. I haven’t read the cal instructions yet if I’m honest :)

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #15743 on: September 01, 2018, 12:21:30 pm »
There’s one on the chassis. I haven’t read the cal instructions yet if I’m honest :)

Ah ha, the truth will set you free.  :-DD :-DD

In other news. A very intermittent issue on the 465B. Every once in a while there appears to be very small ripple on the traces, regardless of any input signal. Appears slightly worse on channel 2. When it was active I was able to trace it back all the way to the 1st vertical pre-amp stage. But even with the 2465 scope set to 2mV/div and a X1 probe it was extremely small and hard to see. The board is fed with +5V, -8V, and +15V. I checked those supplies again and they are absolutely clean. So I think my only other alternative right now is a tantalum witch hunt. All the tants on that board will be excised. Got 12 - 6.3uf/25V and 4- 15uf/25V coming from Mouser.     

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15744 on: September 01, 2018, 12:39:30 pm »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/183402364130

Hope it's not too far.

Thanks for the tip!  I would definitely be interested, but unfortunately it's way too far from where I go when out on the left coast.

If it were closer to LA (rather than I have no idea how many hours north - it's north of San Fransisco), it would be a contender.  I guess I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed that something pops up closer to home...

-Pat

That seller must be getting fed up of seeing those, the start price has halved overnight (with make offer added too).

About 5:30 to 7 hours or 384 miles north of LA according to google maps (probably a two day trip), are there any companies that can pick it up & deliver? (I'm assuming the rack is on wheels).

Hope someone saves it.

David

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15745 on: September 01, 2018, 12:48:02 pm »

Ah ha, the truth will set you free.  :-DD :-DD

In other news. A very intermittent issue on the 465B. Every once in a while there appears to be very small ripple on the traces, regardless of any input signal. Appears slightly worse on channel 2. When it was active I was able to trace it back all the way to the 1st vertical pre-amp stage. But even with the 2465 scope set to 2mV/div and a X1 probe it was extremely small and hard to see. The board is fed with +5V, -8V, and +15V. I checked those supplies again and they are absolutely clean. So I think my only other alternative right now is a tantalum witch hunt. All the tants on that board will be excised. Got 12 - 6.3uf/25V and 4- 15uf/25V coming from Mouser.     

I had that with one I was refurbishing. The tant swap cured it. When my 1/4” nut spinner turns up (Monday) im going to pull the vertical assembly out of mine and rebuild it. That will involve replacing all the tants while it’s out :)

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15746 on: September 01, 2018, 12:59:33 pm »
I've had good success giving them long soaks in warm water with Dawn (a brand here in the US) dish soap and a splash of ammonia.  This seems to work quite well for getting the gumminess off.  That's what I used on the panels of the HP 3460B. 
-Pat

I tried everything I had lying around and settled on the Serivsol foam cleanser 30, an old toothbrush & lots of elbow grease. Followed by a rinse in the sink and leaving to dry on the washing line. I have since bought some some larger brushes to try.

The remains left by this baked on masking tape was the worst to remove.

David

PS; Anyone fancy some crisps, only 40 years past their date?  :-DD
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 01:01:36 pm by factory »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #15747 on: September 01, 2018, 03:40:18 pm »
I had that with one I was refurbishing. The tant swap cured it.

That's good to know. It's the only thing that makes sense. We'll see what happens when I replace them.

When my 1/4” nut spinner turns up (Monday) im going to pull the vertical assembly out of mine and rebuild it. That will involve replacing all the tants while it’s out :)

I'd let you borrow mine but I think it would be a while before you get it.  :-DD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
OT: Of Aardvarks and Prime Ministers, Part 2 of 3: Whether Earth-Pigs have Wings
« Reply #15748 on: September 01, 2018, 03:48:49 pm »
Part 2 : Whether Earth-Pigs Have Wings

"O Oysters, come and walk with us!" the Walrus did beseech.
"A pleasant walk, a pleasant talk, along the briny beach.
We cannot do with more than four; to give a hand to each."

Cerebus  arrived just in time to greet Lord Julius personally at the outer door; a knack he'd honed over the years to almost surgical precision. Each accompanied by his own personal guard, they walked down the long hallway, stopping just before the huge double-doorway to the  dining hall.

"A good crowd." He remarked, looking out over the room. Lots of easily-distracted faces, and plenty of not-too-cheap-but-not-too-expensive alcohol was already flowing. He liked his odds; he was already glad he'd agreed to the tournament, even though it was Julius' idea.

"So how do you want to play this?" he asked of his long-time adversary. "All the Marbles,  or Walrus and the Carpenter?"

Julius considered, making the same quick math in his own head. "That is the question... the $64,000 crown question.  I think it depends on your answer;  why did you really agree to host it here, in the heart of your own demense?"

"You know Cerebus likes to keep his friends close... and his enemies closer." the earth-pig growled, turning back towards the hallway. "Besides, there's always the chance you'll lose before you get to me." Julius raised one eye, but trusted his instinct. He was telling the truth.

"Walrus and the Carpenter it is then." he grinned impishly, puffing on the cigar permanently attached to his left hand. "Our usual agreement?" Cerebus returned the leer as he looked around the long hallway for unwelcome strangers before handing over a bit of parchment. "Already signed."

Julius snorted in surprise. "Signed? Seriously?"

"A verbal contract isn't worth the paper its printed on." Cerebus snorted derisively in return.

"You are quoting me, I believe." Julius retorted, a bit of ash falling from his cigar onto the corner of Cerebus' cloak.

The other grunted acknowledgement, ignoring the deliberate slight with only the faintest scowl crossing his face. "The sun even shines on a dog's arse; and Cerebus shall quote the truth wherever he finds it."

The visiting Prime minister looked the document over with a practiced eye then signed, folding the contract and sealing it with his signet ring. Cerebus did the same, then stuffed the instrument in a pocket inside his Scarran-hide vest as he turned, entering the impromptu gambling hall. 

"Show time!" the furry warlord thought to himself, finding his seat. A predatory smile slowly stole across his face, despite his best efforts at concealment...

mnem
"The time has come" the Walrus said, "To talk of many things;
of shoes and ships and sealing-wax, of cabbages and kings...
...and why the sea is boiling hot, and whether pigs have wings."

End Part 2 ; Continued Tomorrow with Part 3: The Walrus and Carpenter Gambit
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 05:24:52 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #15749 on: September 01, 2018, 04:01:21 pm »
Wut? Huh?  :-//

This might be a little more interesting if you had a better picture of Brandi.  >:D >:D :-DD :-DD

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf