Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14554096 times)

Wolfgang, BrianInTexas, Vince, SingleBitError and 18 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #15800 on: September 03, 2018, 02:18:25 pm »
Indeed. If I owned that it'd look like Jim Williams had been at it.

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #15801 on: September 03, 2018, 02:25:06 pm »
Very nice setup xmo, welcome aboard.  :clap:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15802 on: September 03, 2018, 02:26:56 pm »
I actually just cleaned mine because of xmo's post  :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #15803 on: September 03, 2018, 02:28:09 pm »
There are no words that could possibly describe how impressed I am with those benches.  :-//

All I can say is.... :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #15804 on: September 03, 2018, 02:39:59 pm »
Jay's garage is like TEA++ for cars.
Yeah... cars were my first love. I collected many in my youth; all manner of '60s Corvettes, Mustangs, Novas, Eldorados, a Cutlass Convertible, Pontiac GTO & Tempest, Fleetwood, 55 Nomad, several B-body Chryslers and many more I can't recall. Now I drive a PT Cruiser.  :palm:

Damn you...

I wanted to buy another frequency counter today. I don't understand why - I feel like I need more sedatives.

"Yes, excellent"

I don't know, it just seems like I want more and more for no reason. My mate doesn't understand. She is acting very strange.

"Yes, proceed ..."

I feel I am being selfish wanting so many oscilloscopes. But these forum members keep egging me on.

"Can you be more ... specific?"

It's members like Cubdriver and bitseeker - they never tell me to hold back.

"Yes, fine."

Please forgive me.

"You are a True Believer - Blessings of the Forum, Blessings of Ebay"
I'm not seeing anything out of the ordinary here...  :-DD

mnem
https://youtu.be/m48xii7ndcg
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #15805 on: September 03, 2018, 02:43:46 pm »

I'm saving a picture of his benches. People come over here and say how organized I am and how clean my workbench is. Now I can PROVE that I am not a neat-freak!

:clap:

I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline xmo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15806 on: September 03, 2018, 02:50:23 pm »
mnementh wrote: "...Now I drive a PT Cruiser. ..."
------------------------------------------------------------

Car lover here too - also had numerous 'fun' cars.  Had a PT Cruiser for 14 years.  Not too big, not too small. easy to get in & out of, unique appearance plus the versatility of the folding & removable seats.  You can fit a lot of test equipment in there....

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15807 on: September 03, 2018, 02:54:18 pm »
My other half wanted a PT cruiser. I said no. It's basically a Neon with a wart on top. It was so good they replaced it with the Fiat 500L. Actually comedically, Trump was going on about export tariffs on US cars to Europe. We don't want them over here as a rule :)

Random roughly TEA related. T for Tools. All worship the 1/4" nut spinner. Hopefully this will allow me to sort that 465's dicky vertical out. Fingers crossed. I standardised on Wera stuff a while back. It just works and isn't made of Chinesium :)

Offline xmo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15808 on: September 03, 2018, 02:55:31 pm »
xrunner wrote: "Those are the cleanest neatest benches I've ever seen. ..."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They aren't that clean & neat most of the time.  Like your kids.  You get them cleaned up for a family portrait or to go to church.  The rest of the time ...

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15809 on: September 03, 2018, 02:58:01 pm »
msd6753 wrote: ..."A confession without proof cannot be accepted. So for your penance you must post pictures.."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK.  Here is an assemblage of ...um... multiple transgressions.

Very nice, indeed! Played a lot of Tetris, did you? Hehe.

Mmmmmmmmm, quality and quantity TEA, We are in the presence of a TEA Jedi...

Holy Shitballs!!! no, not Holy enough...

Holy BLEEEP!ing BLEEEP!crackers!!! That is both terrifying and hypnotic... not a Jedi; more a Sith Lord, I suspect.   :-DD

I'm thinking someone chilling and sophisticated; utterly unwilling to accept any failing... like Dooku as portrayed in Clone Wars.  :-+

mnem
https://youtu.be/7bYqIksEOek
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 07:13:34 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #15810 on: September 03, 2018, 03:22:26 pm »

I'm saving a picture of his benches. People come over here and say how organized I am and how clean my workbench is. Now I can PROVE that I am not a neat-freak!

I thought I was a neat freak. Compared to those benches I'm a slob.  :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #15811 on: September 03, 2018, 03:25:43 pm »
My other half wanted a PT cruiser. I said no. It's basically a Neon with a wart on top. It was so good they replaced it with the Fiat 500L. Actually comedically, Trump was going on about export tariffs on US cars to Europe. We don't want them over here as a rule :)

Random roughly TEA related. T for Tools. All worship the 1/4" nut spinner. Hopefully this will allow me to sort that 465's dicky vertical out. Fingers crossed. I standardised on Wera stuff a while back. It just works and isn't made of Chinesium :)

You're gonna have "fun" getting in there with that long driver. First, you have to remove the stand offs that secure the attenuator cover and even then you have to go in at a slight angle. I'm not sure if that driver will allow that.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15812 on: September 03, 2018, 03:25:48 pm »
mnementh wrote: "...Now I drive a PT Cruiser. ..."
------------------------------------------------------------

Car lover here too - also had numerous 'fun' cars.  Had a PT Cruiser for 14 years.  Not too big, not too small. easy to get in & out of, unique appearance plus the versatility of the folding & removable seats.  You can fit a lot of test equipment in there....
I bought the one I have 8 years ago with 58K as a "spare" work vehicle for $1500 from a local body shop; it had been hit in the right rear quarter and the shop started rebuilding, but never finished the cosmetic work. It proved to be an amazingly versatile vehicle; cavernous interior space and removable seats give it a very low lift-over. Just a really handy vehicle; plus I had given up my infrequently-driven F-150 due to the exigencies of parenthood & driveway space. Later, that car became a mostly-suitable replacement after my daily driver got run over by a jackhole in a jacked-up 4x4 and my insurance company fucked me on the "replacement value" payout.

My wife's new Rav4 is nothing like it at all; very high doorsills and lift-over, & low roofline mean I'm always whacking my head getting in & out... and non-removable seats make the floorpan much higher so much less usable cabin space... it does hold all the kids and is shiny and blue, and she loves it. But Franken-Cruiser is paid for.  :-+

mnem
"Laugh all you like. It's paid for."

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15813 on: September 03, 2018, 03:34:11 pm »
You're gonna have "fun" getting in there with that long driver. First, you have to remove the stand offs that secure the attenuator cover and even then you have to go in at a slight angle. I'm not sure if that driver will allow that.

I measured it carefully before buying it with a pen of the same dimensions. It'll just go in over the top of the attenuators at a very slight angle, like you said if you remove a couple of the standoffs. More worried about if I can get enough torque on it with a tiny handle. Would have been nice if they came up with a different mounting method here I will say.

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15814 on: September 03, 2018, 04:16:28 pm »
Ok I did it. I don't know what people complain about. Wasn't hard at all.

Nut driver fits perfectly with no disassembly of the attenuators (that is coming soon :)

And vertical is out!

Only took about 20 minutes to get it out whilst reading manual.

Most annoying bit was the three soldered wires not mentioned in the manual.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15815 on: September 03, 2018, 04:24:23 pm »
That is where my mini socket sets come in so darnt handy, flexible by nature with long and short shafts, mini ratchet handle etc, surprised everyone doesn't have a set?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15816 on: September 03, 2018, 04:24:50 pm »
I did. It got nicked about a decade ago. Then I lost my nice Xcelite spinners :(

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #15817 on: September 03, 2018, 04:50:54 pm »

I realised that extension shanks for bog-standard screwdriver bit sets are 1/4 inch; they just fitted in the space available and the nuts were removed.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #15818 on: September 03, 2018, 05:14:53 pm »
Ok I did it. I don't know what people complain about. Wasn't hard at all.

Agreed. Once you figure it out it's not bad.

Nut driver fits perfectly with no disassembly of the attenuators (that is coming soon :)

That's good! The 2 front stand offs interfered with the handle of my driver so I had to remove them. The attenuators themselves could stay in place.

Most annoying bit was the three soldered wires not mentioned in the manual.

Yep, encounter the same issue.

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15819 on: September 03, 2018, 05:16:26 pm »
URI wrote: "...But where's the more basic stuff? Voltmeters, multimeters, counters, generators, oscilloscopes, power supplies, ... ? "
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, the bench pictured above is for RF.  I do have a general purpose bench as well.  I also have a new "flex" bench which I can reconfigure as needed - currently it is set up for audio work.    I will post pictures of these to illustrate the depth of my affliction....

OMG..!   :scared:

Compared to you I don't have any TEA at all, I'm a completely average person, no serious hoarding addiction, I'll show your photos to my wife..   :-DD

But ....nope! Wish I had that amount of space to build so nice, clean and functional benches. Hats off!   :)
And the variety of different instruments! Great!    :-+  :-+
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 05:19:59 pm by URI »
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15820 on: September 03, 2018, 05:33:53 pm »

I realised that extension shanks for bog-standard screwdriver bit sets are 1/4 inch; they just fitted in the space available and the nuts were removed.

This is the driver kit that I keep in my drill bag for onsite calls. The usual assortment of long & short Fillister, Philips, Torx, Allen head etc. in regular & security, plus the usual assortment of extensions, flex shafts and regular sockets. But the single most useful tool in there is the unassuming-looking little hand-wrench looking thing in the lower left corner.

It is a Husky 66604 double-ended ratchet wrench/driver. What's awesome about it, as you can see in the last two pics, is that it is not only a 1/4" x 5/16" ratcheting box wrench with super-fine pitch, but both ends are reversible AND have thumbwheel AND tension clips for holding a bit. The little 1/4" square adapter comes with to turn 1/4" drive sockets, but the other end will directly drive ANY of my 1/4" hex drive sockets. AND THEY DON'T FALL OFF.  :-+ :-+ :-+

This tool was made by Husky back when they were their own brand... I've had it almost 20 years. The tool that Home Despot carries now is a weak, poorly forged clunky POS, unless you get really lucky and find an old stock one from the "real Husky" days. However, the VIM Tools HBR5 and  HBR8 bit ratchet APPEAR to be the same tool. I keep meaning to get one of the HBR8 to see if it is of similar quality;  :palm: one of these days. 

mnem
I suspect I keep putting it off out of fear that the VIM tools are actually a POS as well; better to keep the hope alive, etc...  :P

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15821 on: September 03, 2018, 05:52:52 pm »
Yep,thats similar to my set and the sockets don't indeed fall off, they remain firmly attached until you pull then off.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #15822 on: September 03, 2018, 06:22:38 pm »

LOL! I just saved those photos, too.

@xmo, awesome workspaces you have. Welcome to the TEA house. We can now all aspire to have a lab like yours.

Meanwhile, I have a lot of cleaning to do. :-DD
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline xmo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15823 on: September 03, 2018, 06:27:38 pm »
I hope my situation will serve as fair warning to those who are not yet consumed by the affliction - run while you can.

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #15824 on: September 03, 2018, 06:31:12 pm »
You can run, but you can't hide. You can delay, but you can't resist. You can go broke, but there's free stuff, too. :-DD
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf