Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14407431 times)

RolandK, salvagedcircuitry and 16 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline planetplabs

Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #16175 on: September 11, 2018, 04:05:06 pm »
I saved money today!

My old and trusty Keithley 197 went south, so, of course I needed something newer and better to replace it. After convincing myself that nothing less than a new DMM6500 would get the job done, even though I really can't define the job in anything other than vague terms, I decided to try once again and fix the Keithley. Turned out just to be a bad power supply cap, should have checked that first I guess, whatever. Problem averted, no need to rush out and buy a new meter, I can wait for a bargain. So, I decided to replace my scope instead, even though it works too, but those Siglents seem like a bargain and my Hitachi is definitely showing its age. I threw a few more things in the basket while I was there, cause Amazon, but I was able to get away with less than $500 out the door. That's a $600 savings over what I imagined myself spending on that Keithley!

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, tautech, mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16176 on: September 11, 2018, 04:17:19 pm »
Back from the dealers, a few lighter £ lighter in the bank, sprung for a new glow plug and they were waffling on about the particulate filter light coming on, news to me I've not seen it yet, no need to worry about, stick the transmission into sport mode and drive it for about 15 minutes at 50mph will burn the particles up and clean the filter out again, simple as that, if ever I see the light come on.  :-DD
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 04:57:29 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16177 on: September 11, 2018, 04:33:41 pm »
Get a OBD cable for it and some software. You can usually set off a static DPF regeneration cycle. Stinks like hell but it’ll clean the DPF out nicely. I did this the day before every MOT on my Fiat. Passed emissions every time I did this after getting a warning once when it was pissing out toxic death smoke.

Petrol now. Phew.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16178 on: September 11, 2018, 04:56:24 pm »
Got a OBD unit already, thats why I'm laughing because the light has never once flashed on since I have had, and thats 5 years now. Wondered if the garage was trying it on trying to upsell me for something that doesn't need doing doing. I told them I had the plug-in OBD unit and that the fault registry was empty apart from the engine management and that gave me a code which upon checking was the glow plug for number 1 cylinder. They don't get me that easily, I have been involved with vehicles of all sorts since I left school, starting with buses where I did my apprenticeship,   :phew:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16179 on: September 11, 2018, 05:00:35 pm »
Wouldn't surprise me with the garage. Wankers all of them. Had some plug problems a long time ago. Was solved by using a plug spanner in 3 seconds.

Back on TEA here. Bugger all on ebay. Bugger all time to play with what I've got. Bugger it! :(

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16180 on: September 11, 2018, 05:21:17 pm »
Yeah, meanwhile back in TEA land, I just purchased one of these bad boys UNI-T UT210E (they can measure DC current via the jaws) because they were cheap and even cheaper because I used some Nectar points, struggling to find some feet, a small knob for the TDS210 and a couple of screws that hold the case together at the top because that duff one I got with the good one, has these missing  >:D

Not quite TEA but still in keeping with the forum as a whole, picked up a couple Roberts Radios (RM40 and RM50) all now nicely aligned and adjusted and returned to manufacturers specifications, someone had tried to add in a headphone socket and buggered it up, now looking a volume knob for the RM50.

Also just got on Ebay a Teac CR-H250 mini Hi-Fi unit that won't switch ON, the power light on the front comes on and thats it, probably a duff capacitor or two but that on its way to me so currently twiddling my thumbs waiting for something to get stuck into  |O
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 05:22:51 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #16181 on: September 11, 2018, 07:43:15 pm »
I saved money today!

My old and trusty Keithley 197 went south, so, of course I needed something newer and better to replace it. After convincing myself that nothing less than a new DMM6500 would get the job done, even though I really can't define the job in anything other than vague terms, I decided to try once again and fix the Keithley. Turned out just to be a bad power supply cap, should have checked that first I guess, whatever. Problem averted, no need to rush out and buy a new meter, I can wait for a bargain. So, I decided to replace my scope instead, even though it works too, but those Siglents seem like a bargain and my Hitachi is definitely showing its age. I threw a few more things in the basket while I was there, cause Amazon, but I was able to get away with less than $500 out the door. That's a $600 savings over what I imagined myself spending on that Keithley!
Welcome to the TEA addiction PP and hope you enjoy that new scope.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #16182 on: September 12, 2018, 12:23:34 am »
Fuuuuu**.

Now I have THAT stuck in my head...

https://youtu.be/ZnHmskwqCCQ

...nothing left for me to do but infect the rest of you with it.    :-DD

mnem
 :clap:
There is a really good version of this with Mark Knopfler and Chet Atkins
Yakety Axe
https://youtu.be/j8kQghy30Cg
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #16183 on: September 12, 2018, 12:40:39 am »
I saved money today!

Welcome aboard and rule number 1....

:-DD :-DD :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #16184 on: September 12, 2018, 01:52:52 am »
Yeah, meanwhile back in TEA land, I just purchased one of these bad boys UNI-T UT210E (they can measure DC current via the jaws) because they were cheap and even cheaper because I used some Nectar points

Nice. I've got one too. When measuring small DC currents, be sure to maintain the meter's orientation when zeroing and then clamping onto the wire being measured. The 2A range is pretty sensitive.

If you want to pimp it up some, search the forums. You can increase the max count, set it to default to DC, and more.

Note that there have been two different versions (main IC has changed in the newer ones). So, if you do make config mods, be sure you're reading about the recent version.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16185 on: September 12, 2018, 06:53:54 am »
Yeah, meanwhile back in TEA land, I just purchased one of these bad boys UNI-T UT210E (they can measure DC current via the jaws) because they were cheap and even cheaper because I used some Nectar points

Nice. I've got one too. When measuring small DC currents, be sure to maintain the meter's orientation when zeroing and then clamping onto the wire being measured. The 2A range is pretty sensitive.

If you want to pimp it up some, search the forums. You can increase the max count, set it to default to DC, and more.

Note that there have been two different versions (main IC has changed in the newer ones). So, if you do make config mods, be sure you're reading about the recent version.
Thanks, I'll take a squiz at that later after I get it I'll have a play with it and see about the DC default as it makes more sense. I have an older analogue one for AC anyway.  :-+ :-+
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 12:55:28 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16186 on: September 12, 2018, 05:22:24 pm »
So, what's up with this? (Note: Scheduled for Sep 18, 2018)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16187 on: September 12, 2018, 05:40:42 pm »
Swizzle, I clicked on it expecting to see something interesting, not a teaser  :box:
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16188 on: September 12, 2018, 05:44:09 pm »
It’ll be one of three things:

1. A msgic VNA sized box that does something no one needs but everyone wants and requires payment in human organs.
2. They bought Tektronix and are now known as Keytronix or Teksight.
3. Someone in their marketing department fell asleep on an iPad and set off a live stream and now they’re all running round like headless chickens trying to work out what they’re going to upsell. The only thing left is a mutant hybrid of a coffee dispenser and oscilloscope.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16189 on: September 12, 2018, 05:49:37 pm »
And your money is going on which option?
Who let Murphy in?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16190 on: September 12, 2018, 05:50:32 pm »
I like Keytronix.  :-+

4. Someone got tired of modern TE having big screens and no depth. This one won't fall over and you can stack stuff on top. :-DD

It's even got lots of handles for

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16191 on: September 12, 2018, 05:57:12 pm »
Its also leaning backwards like the leaning tower of Pisa so anything stacked on top will also be leaning back and away from the operator  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16192 on: September 12, 2018, 06:34:15 pm »
Troninsightex-Fluketard surely?
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #16193 on: September 12, 2018, 06:50:29 pm »

Now that's something I can set my coffee cup on!  :-+
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16194 on: September 12, 2018, 09:42:55 pm »
Utterly bored this fine evening. Spent half the day hacking something on a PIC microcontroller and was treated with every wall a piece of software could throw at you and then the PICkit3 blew up.  :--

Can't be bothered to sort/fix any TEA gear tonight so my mind got wandering onto powerpole connectors for test leads and radios. Have ordered some to play with. I nearly also blew up my TTi supply earlier recharging an SLA (connected it backwards, fortunately didn't switch on) so I figured it might actually end up cheaper if I have polarised connectors everywhere!

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #16195 on: September 12, 2018, 10:01:08 pm »

Jeezus, thayy puttin' teevees on evveythang now; even gawt wun onna toaster oven. Iff'n it kin dew a fam'ly size pizza,  ah'll tekk itt!   :-DD

mnem
Now Ahh kin watch muh Jerry Springer reruns wha'll muh teevee dinners bern teww a krisp...  :-+
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 10:08:43 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #16196 on: September 12, 2018, 10:14:44 pm »
Can't be bothered to sort/fix any TEA gear tonight so my mind got wandering onto powerpole connectors for test leads and radios. Have ordered some to play with.

That's what all the power for my ham equipment is connected with.  :-+

I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #16197 on: September 12, 2018, 10:20:43 pm »
Sermos connectors? The '80s called and they want their juice back! :-DD

mnem
Spew and a half! 
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 10:24:30 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16198 on: September 12, 2018, 10:24:58 pm »
That's what all the power for my ham equipment is connected with.  :-+

Good to hear. People keep telling me to buy them and they are basically jesus' sandals. Since that last post I also bought some 3M inline blade fuse holders, some blade fuses and a powerpole adapter for my 818 :D

Sermos connectors? Spew and a half!

mnem
The '80s called and they want their juice back!  :-DD

Hahaha. Got to be better than my current solution which is a combination of Pomona 4mm minigrabber leads, shitty plugs from aliexpress and even stuff as bad as wrapping the stripped wires off the 818's default power cable round the SLA terminals.

Literally going to cost myself a hunk of cash one day when I'm half asleep :(

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16199 on: September 12, 2018, 10:28:53 pm »
Jeezus, thayy puttin' teevees on evveythang now; even gawt wun onna toaster oven. Iff'n it kin dew a fam'ly size pizza,  ah'll tekk itt!   :-DD

mnem
Now Ahh kin watch muh Jerry Springer reruns wha'll muh teevee dinners bern teww a krisp...  :-+

Ah, back on food again eh? We're reliable that way.

At the moment I'm just winding down the day with the turn, fold, roll and rest stage of a batch of flaky pastry. Stewed some apples earlier with cinnamon and allspice. Tomorrow — hot, fresh, flaky apple turnovers.

TEA relevance? I need a new pointy kitchen thermometer for checking the internal temperatures of things wot is cooking. That's test gear right? The one I've currently got has a response time measurable in minutes. Anybody have any recommendations for something fast responding that's got a food-safe pointy probe?
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf