Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14406427 times)

Carl_Smith and 19 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #16350 on: September 15, 2018, 06:43:38 pm »
Yeah, I've had mine for a couple years and use it a few times a month — not enough to need to mod it. Maybe I'll poke around if I'm bored some day.
Yeah, I think its one of those tools thats nice to have for the odd occasion when you could make use of the current capability via the jaws really but for the main part its never going to be a substitute for my bench meters or the 867. 
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16351 on: September 15, 2018, 06:49:13 pm »
Hour 40 of a 2-Day Print...

*Claws, wings, toes & tail crossed for luck*

mnem
*Off my runner*
Looking good but it also looks as if 3D printing and printers still have some ground to make up before they really become both viable and reliable enough to warrant investment in one.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #16352 on: September 15, 2018, 07:52:29 pm »
This came in my eMail today...

https://www.radioshack.com/collections/clearance-sale/cordless-phone-batteries?utm_campaign=2018-09-15

Decent NiMh batteries cheap, free shipping in US over $19, but you will have sales tax. On sale through Sunday. I found some interesting Lixx protected cells in the clearance section as well, and a discount code: RADIO15. You need be over $19 AFTER the discount; it just broke my heart to have to add another pack of 16340 cells for free.  :-DD

Cheers,

mnem
*Juicy*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #16353 on: September 15, 2018, 07:53:03 pm »
Specmaster, went to the NY Airshow today. Got a bunch of pictures. When I get a chance I'll upload them.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16354 on: September 15, 2018, 08:23:28 pm »
Hour 40 of a 2-Day Print...

*Claws, wings, toes & tail crossed for luck*

mnem
*Off my runner*
Looking good but it also looks as if 3D printing and printers still have some ground to make up before they really become both viable and reliable enough to warrant investment in one.
I disagree. I believe that with the advent of $300-400 ARF units like the Tornado and CR10, we've finally broken the usability barrier and no are no longer looking at an "investment"; I've spent more than $400 on a night out. FDM is ready for Prime Time, given the caveats I outline below. Bottom line is there is no affordable 3DP tech that will yield product which is BOTH commercial-finish quality AND functional as a stressed part in any way.

It depends on what you're wanting.

If you're wanting commercial-finish product ready to use right off the printer, there is no such thing that isn't an utter PITA to use and not fit to use (good to put on a shelf and admire its crystal-like finish, but nothing useful) for functional product. I'm looking at you, SLA.  ::)

If you want to make stuff of functional quality and you can live with the finish inherent in FDM 3DP, then my personal experience with the Tornado is proof that it's a mature, consumer-ready product. Admittedly, there are two ends of the spectrum... small build volume and expensive but Facebook crowd easy-to-use (Makerbot, FormLabs, XYZ) right out of the box vs reasonably large build volume and reasonably-priced but a medium-steep learning curve (CReality, FolgerTech, Tevo) and hardware that's truly "minimal assembly required" like the road I've taken with the Tornado.

I certainly cannot recommend that ANYONE go the full-kit build route as a first printer like I did with the Tarantula, unless you have a large club right at hand to help you get it working right.
You'll be mad enough to eat bees a couple hours after you open the box, no bullshit.  :-DD

mnem

Those that CAN do such product are decades away from being affordable, if EVER. We're generations away from having a FabberChow or Replicator in ANY home, and that won't change until we as a species grow up and stop squabbling over little bits of paper and lines in the sand. There's just too much profit in keeping such tech and the personal freedom it represents OUT of the hands of the people.

But it will NEVER happen if we who CAN make it happen don't show that there's a demand by getting into the tech and driving it forward.

mnem
Cassandra got nuthin' on me.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 08:30:11 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16355 on: September 15, 2018, 08:47:17 pm »
The Saga of the $88 Full-Kit DE-5000 continues...

It took 3 days to get from Osaka, Japan to the ISC in Lost Angeles California on Sept 1st... then it hung in limbo until TODAY, where it was FINALLY actually scanned by one of our USPS muppets when it arrived in Houston. Not a SINGLE TIME ANYWHERE... from the time it came off the plane, passed through Ifni knows HOW MANY HANDS at the USPS between LA and Houston 2 WEEKS LATER... did ANYONE bother to scan the fucking thing.   |O

mnem
Asshats-R-US Asshats-R-USPS

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #16356 on: September 15, 2018, 08:54:52 pm »

It took 3 days to get from Osaka, Japan to the ISC in Lost Angeles California on Sept 1st... then it hung in limbo until TODAY, where it was FINALLY actually scanned by one of our USPS muppets when it arrived in Houston. Not a SINGLE TIME ANYWHERE... from the time it came off the plane, passed through Ifni knows HOW MANY HANDS at the USPS between LA and Houston 2 WEEKS LATER... did ANYONE bother to scan the fucking thing.   |O

mnem
Asshats-R-US Asshats-R-USPS

It's possible that much of that time it sat in Customs. Although I have had stuff from Ali Express come and get delivered from China thru LA in less than 2 weeks. But they definitely are not as efficient as Customs at JFK in NY. I've had stuff arrive from overseas and clear customs in 1 day. 

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16357 on: September 15, 2018, 10:10:13 pm »
Ain't that the way it always goes? I think I've salvaged hundreds of CDs from players over the decades... maybe 3 of 'em worth listening to AND playable.  :palm:

mnem
Ferk you, Murphy.

Same if you get a CD or tape left in a rental or a hand-me-down company car.  Nearest I even got to listenable was Dire Straits. :(
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16358 on: September 15, 2018, 10:40:48 pm »
Better than I got. Hired a bottom end Fiesta from Easycar once and it had a dildo in the glove box.

By way of an apology they upgraded us to a Mondeo Titanium X. Best dildo ever.

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #16359 on: September 15, 2018, 10:41:22 pm »

It's possible that much of that time it sat in Customs. Although I have had stuff from Ali Express come and get delivered from China thru LA in less than 2 weeks. But they definitely are not as efficient as Customs at JFK in NY. I've had stuff arrive from overseas and clear customs in 1 day.

I had a similar experience just recently with a package from Asia. It was last reported leaving Thailand and stayed that way for weeks. Suddently it appeared in my mailbox and I was puzzled what the thing was, until I opened it. So much for tracking.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16360 on: September 16, 2018, 12:00:36 am »

I had a similar experience just recently with a package from Asia. It was last reported leaving Thailand and stayed that way for weeks. Suddently it appeared in my mailbox and I was puzzled what the thing was, until I opened it. So much for tracking.

am I the only one who thought bitseekers story was gonna involve a dildo?
free range primate

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16361 on: September 16, 2018, 12:32:12 am »

am I the only one who thought bitseekers story was gonna involve a dildo?

Yes. ONLY you.  :-DD

I know for a fact we don't do the "Customs" thing with consumer goods from China via USPS; I've bought thousands of pieces via ePacket. I know Resident Chump has promised to crack down on Chinese trade, but that screech of feces-throwing howler monkeys couldn't organize a 2nd grade Show & Tell, so I doubt they got actual new Customs protocols in place in less than a year.  :scared:

However... this parcel came from Japan... I have no idea if we have different protocols for them.  :-//

mnem
That said... don't ever buy a dildo mail-order from China. This is the sort of thing you want to size in person, and then there's that burning sensation...  :o

Online Carl_Smith

• Frequent Contributor
    • MegaMicroWatt - Carl Smith's Blog
« Reply #16362 on: September 16, 2018, 01:02:44 am »
Same if you get a CD or tape left in a rental or a hand-me-down company car.  Nearest I even got to listenable was Dire Straits. :(

So when I traded in my 2001 Explorer a few months back I forgot a CD in the player.  And my registration and insurance cards in the owners manuals.  I wasn't going to worry about it but I had to go back to the dealer to fix a small problem on the newer vehicle I bought and I saw my old one in the used lot.

So I told the salesman and said I didn't want the next owners having my info.  He said the detailer guys usually find and remove the registration cards but they probably missed the CD.  So he got the keys and we went and looked and they had removed the registration cards but the CD was still there, so he gave it back to me.

The thing is half the reason I wanted the CD back was because it was a mixed CD I burned and because I get bored with music I had quite a variety of stuff on it.  I was imagining the next owner wondering "what's the deal with this guy" when they found a CD with Disturbed, Five Finger Death Punch, Awolnation, Skrillex, Alanis Morissette, and Avril Lavigne all on the same CD.  :)

(I can already hear you guys saying "None of that is listenable either.")

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #16363 on: September 16, 2018, 01:05:04 am »
New York Airshow today at Stewart Airport in Newburgh, NY. A few pictures.

One of my favorite aircraft. A10 Warthog.

As Saddam found out, as the Tailban found out, and ISIS found out.....this gun will seriously fuck you up.

This B-17G was converted back to a B-17E and painted to look like Memphis Belle and was used in the 1990 movie. The original Memphis Belle is on display in Dayton, Ohio.

F-16

The rest of the album is here:

https://imageshack.com/a/x2Yo/1

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, bitseeker, mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #16364 on: September 16, 2018, 01:51:41 am »

It was tracked.  Single bit, binary tracking.  You were perhaps expecting more granularity?  ;D

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #16365 on: September 16, 2018, 02:00:39 am »
F-16

As small as the -16 is, it's pretty impressive how much crap they can hang from it, huh?   :o

-Pat

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16366 on: September 16, 2018, 02:17:14 am »
F-16

As small as the -16 is, it's pretty impressive how much crap they can hang from it, huh?   :o

-Pat

Small? it's just shy of 50' long, you wouldn't think it was small if someone parked one on your front lawn. A 7.5 tonne truck would shift just as much, gets better mileage and would fit on your driveway without scaring the neighbours.  :)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16367 on: September 16, 2018, 02:19:33 am »
F-16

-Pat
F15 is an awesome fighting platform, we have 3 squadrons of them stationed on this side of the pond, at RAF Lakenheath.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16368 on: September 16, 2018, 02:21:20 am »
F-16

-Pat

Small? it's just shy of 50' long, you wouldn't think it was small if someone parked one on your front lawn. A 7.5 tonne truck would shift just as much, gets better mileage and would fit on your driveway without scaring the neighbours.  :)
Haha very true but nowhere as fast.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #16369 on: September 16, 2018, 02:56:57 am »

As Saddam found out, as the Tailban found out, and ISIS found out.....this gun will seriously fuck you up.

Not a pretty aircraft - but that gun...!

I once saw a documentary that showed the changing out, with magazine.  Impressive is an understatement.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 02:58:43 am by Brumby »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16370 on: September 16, 2018, 03:15:22 am »

So when I traded in my 2001 Explorer a few months back I forgot a CD in the player.  And my registration and insurance cards in the owners manuals.  I wasn't going to worry about it but I had to go back to the dealer to fix a small problem on the newer vehicle I bought and I saw my old one in the used lot.

So I told the salesman and said I didn't want the next owners having my info.  He said the detailer guys usually find and remove the registration cards but they probably missed the CD.  So he got the keys and we went and looked and they had removed the registration cards but the CD was still there, so he gave it back to me.

The thing is half the reason I wanted the CD back was because it was a mixed CD I burned and because I get bored with music I had quite a variety of stuff on it.  I was imagining the next owner wondering "what's the deal with this guy" when they found a CD with Disturbed, Five Finger Death Punch, Awolnation, Skrillex, Alanis Morissette, and Avril Lavigne all on the same CD.  :)

(I can already hear you guys saying "None of that is listenable either.")

*Says nothing as he adds Skrillex to his Amazon playlist*  >:D

F-16

-Pat

Haha very true but nowhere as fast.
I can barely afford to fuel a Toyota. How the eff would I fuel a vehicle that measures its fuel in tons?  :-DD

Hour 49 of 2-day print...

The Meter stand is done... well, the main body is. There were some complications due to pulling caused by the lifted corners, but nothing that prevents it from being 100% functional and crazy strong. We'll see how I feel about it when I have the top part design finished; I'm already envisioning a few refinements to the base...  :-DD

I'll post pics when its all done and assembled... I know, I'm a total bastard.  >:D

mnem
"BRAAAAAAAAP.....! BRRRRRAAAAAAAAAPP-BRRAAAAAAAAAPP!!"

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #16371 on: September 16, 2018, 03:30:26 am »
F-16

-Pat

So what if the neighbors are scared!  I think if I had a -16 parked in front of the house they'd keep it to themselves...   >:D  >:D  >:D

And yeah, small - the B-17 (a bomber, my favorite and IMO the prettiest of the WWII Heavies) is 75' long and has a span of 103 feet.  Its max bomb load for short range missions is 8k lbs; it drops to 4.5k lbs for long range flights.

The -16, 50' long with a 32' span can carry 17000 lbs of stores.  Granted its range is less, but it's also a FIGHTER, not a bomber.  I'd say given it's size that's a bloody impressive loadout!  (And I bet it's a whole lot more fun to horse around than a 7.5 ton truck!)

-Pat

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #16372 on: September 16, 2018, 03:44:26 am »

The A-10 looks like a bird that would be a blast to fly!  A giant, turbofan powered Cub built around a big, honkin' gun.   :-+  It's tough to appreciate how huge that rotary cannon is until you see on face to face on a flight line like that, and look into the maw of those huge barrels.   :o :o

That's an understatement.  It goes 'Burrrrrrp', and whatever was in front of it is no more!  I would not want to be in an enemy tank on the modern battlefield!

-Pat

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #16373 on: September 16, 2018, 06:49:28 am »

So, no different to fleabay's GSP tracking :(

I currently have something that is well tracked within the US, but has spent 4 days marked "In Transit with Destination Carrier 13ten". 13ten is an aggregator that uses several local delivery companies (some good, some cause groans), and requires a barcode for tracking. Naturally fleabay does not indicate the barcode.

Hence I can't track it to see when I should remain in - thanks for nothing, fleabay.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #16374 on: September 16, 2018, 06:52:03 am »
F-16

So, about the same length as gliders but with a smaller wingspan. Can't stay up as long as gliders, either ;)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf