Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14406403 times)

Carl_Smith, zepto and 24 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #16400 on: September 16, 2018, 11:30:46 am »
New York Airshow today at Stewart Airport in Newburgh, NY. A few pictures.

Very nice photos, thank you. I can't help but get the feeling that the airshow was poorly attended because you can still see clearly from the static displays through the crowd line to the actual flying display, which is nothing like we get over here, they are always rammed as this photo taken at Old Warden, Bedfordshire shows, the airfield only has grass runways.

I was standing right at the crowd line when I took this photo of people behind me and behind the crowd is the carpark and all the people on the crowd line mostly have digital SLR's with lenses of at least 300mm which is what I use.

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16401 on: September 16, 2018, 12:25:26 pm »
Damnation. About to list some crap on eBay and someone just listed the same item but cheap  :--  :-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16402 on: September 16, 2018, 01:12:44 pm »
Just a heads up for any TTi TF930 owners. If you run it flat and then don't use it for a couple of weeks it will refuse to charge or do anything. It turns on for a few seconds then cakes out instantly. How annoying!

I have fixed it. Looks like the charge controller disconnects if the battery drops below a certain amount (good job TTi!). You can jump start it by applying 3.6V across the battery stack and then leaving it on charge for 30 minutes. Works fine after that.  :-+

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #16403 on: September 16, 2018, 01:30:39 pm »
New York Airshow today at Stewart Airport in Newburgh, NY. A few pictures.

Very nice photos, thank you. I can't help but get the feeling that the airshow was poorly attended because you can still see clearly from the static displays through the crowd line to the actual flying display, which is nothing like we get over here, they are always rammed as this photo taken at Old Warden, Bedfordshire shows, the airfield only has grass runways.

I was standing right at the crowd line when I took this photo of people behind me and behind the crowd is the carpark and all the people on the crowd line mostly have digital SLR's with lenses of at least 300mm which is what I use.

Perhaps you got the impression that it wasn't well attended because the static displays were spread out on one of the taxi ways of the main runway which is over 11K feet long. It's one of the longest runways on the East Coast. See...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stewart_International_Airport

In that aerial view you can barely see the C-17's parked in the lower right.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #16404 on: September 16, 2018, 01:44:10 pm »
@tggzzz, here is a screen print of my shipment, this the one I received after my item arrived in the uk and the 13ten is shown in a different colour and clicking that opened a further page and from that another page which had the infor I was after.

Thanks.  I don't see anything like that. It that in an email message or order history?

All I can see is (latest email (dated 12th) plus two order history screenshots):
Have you tried clicking on the "See full tracking history"?

Yes, and the result is in t2.jpg => no joy.

I think it is significant that the ebay chat CSR couldn't find the info, and has hopefully punted it to the GSP team.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #16405 on: September 16, 2018, 02:10:53 pm »

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #16406 on: September 16, 2018, 02:12:34 pm »
Personal Question:

Does somebody that has actually built some circuits and projects can still be a TEA (see my profile) ?
Need I be concerned ? Is it contageous ?  :-DD

Yes on all counts :(

Seconded.

... and after looking at your profile, you gain advanced standing.  (Whether that is good or not is another question.)

The following users thanked this post: Wolfgang

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #16407 on: September 16, 2018, 03:42:31 pm »
Hour 49 of 2-day print...

I'll post pics when its all done and assembled... I know, I'm a total bastard.  >:D

I'm surprised a 3d printer has remained operational for that long :) Perhaps there is an opportunity for a redesign that makes manufacturing less, um, full of suspense.

Why don't you split this subject off into a different thread, so that it isn't lost for posterity when this thread hits the 50,000 messages?
This is what I've been trying to tell you guys... FDM had crossed over the singularity threshold; it is a mature technology in refinement stage, not a hobbyist technology where every build is trailblazing in your garage workshop.

The suspense is a matter of the time required for a high-quality print. I could have cut the time in half by doing it at a lower resolution; but I wanted the fine layer height. Even commercial printers costing tens of thousands have similar limitations; it's a matter of the NATURE of the technology, not the level of refinement. You know the old adage... "Time, Quality, Cost. Pick any two."

Actually, I didn't think it was that interesting a subject for most; more water cooler talk about what I've been doing while I wait for test equipment to arrive.  :blah:   I suppose I can pull together a few posts into another thread in case somebody would be interested in following my little odyssey. :-+
I bought a Seaward RCD tester RC750 with case on *bay yesterday (£20).   :-+
Was sitting there -no one wanted it and the seller had re-listed it several times over the last months.
Yesterday I bid the minimum price, was the only bidder and won (~£32 including shipping). Paid instantly.

This very morning I find the transaction cancelled by the seller saying it's no longer available because it was water damaged in the meantime. :wtf:  >:(   

I can't really believe that this is actually true because the seller didn't proof this e.g. with photos nor give me a chance to react to this information -perhaps (he couldn't know) I would be still interested in the device? -In fact I am -because there's not much to get damaged -no ferreous parts in it that could rust away. I would try to repair it.   :rant:   I'll try to get an answer from him before I try to give him negative feedback.  :-\
Your instinct is probably right; a case of seller's remorse.  But as I've said before, unless a seller makes a habit of it, it's not going to affect his business. Not a lot you can reasonably do; it isn't reasonable to post negative feedback because you suspect the reason for cancellation is a lie.  ::)   

Letting your hoarding instinct go to war against someone else's is like trying to fuck an alligator; a whole lot of thrashing about, and ultimately, no good can come of it. ;)

They know what to do with them. Hell one of them proudly stated they use Keysight bench meters in the office. But you know there’s this magic cheap thing where if it’s coming out of their own pocket then they want a golden egg laying unicorn for £20.

Really I told them to go and buy an 87V but that resulted in pfft and sighing.

Same dudes will drive 20 miles to save 1p/litre on petrol.  I digress but this is typical amateur radio community here. Devoid of any intelligence and consistency.

I suggest you direct them to shop TEDepot and then Express_Auctions. Then maybe they'll get a CLUE what a real meter costs, even used and as-is.  The VC97/99 is crazy good value, as long as you can live with the buggy firmware. Those fuckwits probably wouldn't even know the bugs when they see them.

Personal Question:

Does somebody that has actually built some circuits and projects can still be a TEA (see my profile) ?
Need I be concerned ? Is it contageous ?  :-DD
See the 12 umpteen steps... it's all part of the plan; just another brick in the wall. Welcome home. ;)

He might have had it advertised elsewhere as well and before he could remove it someone offered more money so mugged you off. Annoying isn't it but it happens.

I am very annoyed by this, indeed -it would also violate *bay selling rules btw.   :rant:

1. Answer from seller:
He was following *bay advice on how to proceed with such an unfortunate situation. I please should contact *bay if I'd wish to proceed further..
No reaction to my question for photos or any proof of the damage. No reaction to my interest in the tester even if damaged -perhaps for a partial refund.   :--

I repeat; very annoying.  >:(
Yes it is. But it's all part of dealing with PEOPLE. People aren't machines that always do what they're SUPPOSED to do; sometimes people do irrational things, like let their hoarding instinct take over and decide to keep something they should just let go.  Remember... "ultimately, no good can come of it. ;)"

Damnation. About to list some crap on eBay and someone just listed the same item but cheap  :--  :-DD
Time to stockpile, dude.  >:D
AVO 8 Mk5.  :P
Made me laugh.   :-+
A little AVO pr0n for those unfamiliar:

https://youtu.be/GVhWtUDUvBI

Thanks for making me do a Guugle; I didn't even know they were still being made as recently as the Mk5. I always associated them as being another from the Simpson 260 era.   :o

mnem
"Awww... lookit the babies... so cute with their scaly little egg-heads and wriggly tails!!!"
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 06:20:46 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16408 on: September 16, 2018, 04:29:09 pm »

Was sitting there -no one wanted it and the seller had re-listed it several times over the last months.
Yesterday I bid the minimum price, was the only bidder and won (~£32 including shipping). Paid instantly.

This very morning I find the transaction cancelled by the seller saying it's no longer available because it was water damaged in the meantime. :wtf:  >:(   

I can't really believe that this is actually true because the seller didn't proof this e.g. with photos nor give me a chance to react to this information -perhaps (he couldn't know) I would be still interested in the device? -In fact I am -because there's not much to get damaged -no ferreous parts in it that could rust away. I would try to repair it.   :rant:   I'll try to get an answer from him before I try to give him negative feedback.  :-\
Your instinct is probably right; a case of seller's remorse.  But as I've said before, unless a seller makes a habit of it, it's not going to affect his business. Not a lot you can reasonably do; it isn't reasonable to post negative feedback because you suspect the reason for cancellation is a lie.  ::)   

Letting your hoarding instinct go to war against someone else's is like trying to fuck an alligator; a whole lot of thrashing about, and ultimately, no good can come of it. ;)

You are right. First I can't really do anything about it -I even can't leave feedback for a cancelled transaction on *ebay. I thought I could because I followed the link for it from my outdated overview page on *bay. -Tried to leave feedback but it was rejected.   :(
Second it's actually not worth the effort. Saved the money on this RCD tester for the next to come.   :)   :palm:
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16409 on: September 16, 2018, 05:22:44 pm »

https://youtu.be/GVhWtUDUvBI

Thanks for making me do a Guugle; I didn't even know they were still being made as recently as the Mk5. I always associated them as being another from the Simpson 260 era.   :o

mnem
"Awww... lookit the babies... so cute with their scaly little egg-heads and wriggly tails!!!"
And that my friends is why the Avo Model 7/8 is still in demand and also why I have one plus they will also measure as standard 3KV. The none NATO ones can have a brown leather case the same as the black NATO case and has the same features.

Incidentally a similar meter is the Kyoritsu Model 1400 which has similar accuracy but has less protection than the Avo and measure as standard upto 5Kv. Yes, of course I have one of these as well, neither are daily drivers but good back ups and a slice of history and I'd personally recommend anyone to get one of these in their collection. But there is a trap for "young players" (sorry Dave), their impedance is only 20,000 ohms per volt and can have an effect on the voltage readings on some circuits because of their loading of the circuits. But anyone involved in restoration of vintage equipment ought to have as many of the service charts will have the voltages taken on such a mother meter and will be quoted, not only the make and model used, but the OPV so any good meter with 20,000 OPV could be considered.

Heres a photo of the Model 1400

« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 05:26:42 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16410 on: September 16, 2018, 05:39:58 pm »
@tggzzz, here is a screen print of my shipment, this the one I received after my item arrived in the uk and the 13ten is shown in a different colour and clicking that opened a further page and from that another page which had the infor I was after.

Thanks.  I don't see anything like that. It that in an email message or order history?

All I can see is (latest email (dated 12th) plus two order history screenshots):
Have you tried clicking on the "See full tracking history"?

Yes, and the result is in t2.jpg => no joy.

I think it is significant that the ebay chat CSR couldn't find the info, and has hopefully punted it to the GSP team.
Well if it's any consolation, everytime my imports end up with 13ten, they do seem to sit there for about 3 to 4 days with no updates and then you will get an update informing you that its with the destination courier and when you check with the appointed courier, they've only been advised that its there to collect. After a couple more days you should get another update saying that has been sorted at the national hub, when you get that update, its then normally the following day its delivered to you. To avoid confusion, you have to keep checking the tracking info for updates and follow the chain as I did, otherwise the next thing you know is a knock on the door with your parcel. It's after that do you get an email about it and that justs states good news etc, your parcel has been delivered  :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16411 on: September 16, 2018, 06:10:03 pm »

I can't really believe that this is actually true because the seller didn't proof this e.g. with photos nor give me a chance to react to this information -perhaps (he couldn't know) I would be still interested in the device? -In fact I am -because there's not much to get damaged -no ferreous parts in it that could rust away. I would try to repair it.   :rant:

I'll try to get an answer from him before I try to give him negative feedback.  :-\
That's a bummer. I experienced that only twice. Where is the seller from?
If he is from continental europe, tell him right away that you'll initiate a criminal procedure, as you suspect fraud. The worst thing that could happen is that the case will be closed. The advantage is that it doesn't cost you anything. Except maybe a personal trip to the next Kripo office specializing on business and E-crime. Precinct cops might try to weasel out of it.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16412 on: September 16, 2018, 06:19:43 pm »

Small? it's just shy of 50' long, you wouldn't think it was small if someone parked one on your front lawn. A 7.5 tonne truck would shift just as much, gets better mileage and would fit on your driveway without scaring the neighbours.  :)
That is exactly the point! One must keep up the proper sense of dread in them!

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16413 on: September 16, 2018, 06:34:18 pm »
The Saga of the $88 Full-Kit DE-5000 continues...

It took 3 days to get from Osaka, Japan to the ISC in Lost Angeles California on Sept 1st... then it hung in limbo until TODAY, where it was FINALLY actually scanned by one of our USPS muppets when it arrived in Houston. Not a SINGLE TIME ANYWHERE... from the time it came off the plane, passed through Ifni knows HOW MANY HANDS at the USPS between LA and Houston 2 WEEKS LATER... did ANYONE bother to scan the fucking thing.   |O

It's possible that much of that time it sat in Customs. Although I have had stuff from Ali Express come and get delivered from China thru LA in less than 2 weeks. But they definitely are not as efficient as Customs at JFK in NY. I've had stuff arrive from overseas and clear customs in 1 day.

I had a similar experience just recently with a package from Asia. It was last reported leaving Thailand and stayed that way for weeks. Suddently it appeared in my mailbox and I was puzzled what the thing was, until I opened it. So much for tracking.
I have that experience all the time with small parts from AliEx. Order stuff for pennies and it's like Christmas 6 weeks later when it arrives.  :-DD

The thing that annoys the everlovin' FUCK right outta me is this revisionist history bullshit. EVERYTHING between the red lines populated overnight last night, AFTER it arrived in the N Houston sorting plant. Note that while they DID scan it in today at my local Post Office ON A SUNDAY, not ONCE in the two weeks prior could ANYBODY be arsed to scan it on its 1500 mile trip from there to here.  For the last two weeks, the ONLY info I've had was the stuff below the first red line.

Had ANY of that information actually been updated when it was supposedly scanned, we wouldn't be having this conversation. It's not like if it were actually scanned at those times the computer would have a choice about reporting it, so I can only assume, as I've been told before BY A USPS REPRESENTATIVE regarding an item's supposed progress through the USPS system, that those entries are only an automated estimate 100% fabricated to make it look like they're doing their job at the intermediate steps. :palm:

mnem
Where's the [KICK SOME FUCKWIT IN THE JUNK] button on my keyboard? THAT is the button I REALLY need...   |O
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 06:54:07 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16414 on: September 16, 2018, 07:05:09 pm »

I can't really believe that this is actually true because the seller didn't proof this e.g. with photos nor give me a chance to react to this information -perhaps (he couldn't know) I would be still interested in the device? -In fact I am -because there's not much to get damaged -no ferreous parts in it that could rust away. I would try to repair it.   :rant:

I'll try to get an answer from him before I try to give him negative feedback.  :-\
That's a bummer. I experienced that only twice. Where is the seller from?
If he is from continental europe, tell him right away that you'll initiate a criminal procedure, as you suspect fraud. The worst thing that could happen is that the case will be closed. The advantage is that it doesn't cost you anything. Except maybe a personal trip to the next Kripo office specializing on business and E-crime. Precinct cops might try to weasel out of it.
Can't do that. He is still within his rights to back out as long as he gives a full refund in a reasonable amount of time. eBay isn't a catalog sales store (except for new goods stores explicitly set up that way); it's a flea market.

The worst it can do is tarnish his seller rep or get him suspended if he makes a habit of it, which they do keep track of. The only time you can involve the Police is if you lose actual MONEY. They can't prosecute for loss of imagined value of an item that was never received, and if refunded, technically never paid for.

Even in the EU they respect the seller's right to refuse service to any individual. ;)

mnem
I've been working in SketchUp for two hours and I've managed to make a capped square tube. I am officially SOFTWARE DEFECTIVE.

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16415 on: September 16, 2018, 08:31:30 pm »

mnem
And that my friends is why the Avo Model 7/8 is still in demand and also why I have one plus they will also measure as standard 3KV. The none NATO ones can have a brown leather case the same as the black NATO case and has the same features.

Incidentally a similar meter is the Kyoritsu Model 1400 which has similar accuracy but has less protection than the Avo and measure as standard upto 5Kv. Yes, of course I have one of these as well, neither are daily drivers but good back ups and a slice of history and I'd personally recommend anyone to get one of these in their collection. But there is a trap for "young players" (sorry Dave), their impedance is only 20,000 ohms per volt and can have an effect on the voltage readings on some circuits because of their loading of the circuits. But anyone involved in restoration of vintage equipment ought to have as many of the service charts will have the voltages taken on such a mother meter and will be quoted, not only the make and model used, but the OPV so any good meter with 20,000 OPV could be considered.

Heres a photo of the Model 1400

The 5kV range is the same reason I have a pair of Windsor 88A's (aka the export version of Taylor) the resistors used in them age terribly, one has a good set for the AC kV range & the other a good set for the DC kV range, I should really buy some new resistors for one and sell the other (but can't due to my addiction). I even imported the correct capacitance/inductance adaptor (model 313D) back from Uruguay to go with it, even though I have no use for it.  :)

David
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 08:34:47 pm by factory »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16416 on: September 16, 2018, 08:57:36 pm »
Always nice to proper old lab instruments in their wooden cases, they can polish up a treat.  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16417 on: September 16, 2018, 09:12:00 pm »
Well if it's any consolation, everytime my imports end up with 13ten, they do seem to sit there for about 3 to 4 days with no updates and then you will get an update informing you that its with the destination courier and when you check with the appointed courier, they've only been advised that its there to collect. After a couple more days you should get another update saying that has been sorted at the national hub, when you get that update, its then normally the following day its delivered to you. To avoid confusion, you have to keep checking the tracking info for updates and follow the chain as I did, otherwise the next thing you know is a knock on the door with your parcel. It's after that do you get an email about it and that justs states good news etc, your parcel has been delivered  :palm:

Same here with GSP, once they arrive in the UK they tend to have virtually no updates until they are transferred to the final courier, which can take ages sometimes.
However the final tracking was very good for the last item I received, I was actually in for a change and could see a map of where the driver was & how many drops (or fence flings/hedge dumps  :-DD) there were before mine.

I've also had a couple of problems with GSP, firstly they due to them knifing open every shipment, they came very close to slashing through several different shipments of hard to find brochures/manuals.  :--

And I've had a lost item too, the tracking stopped after the international shipment part, but I don't think it ended up in the Atlantic ocean. Only after I bought a second item from the same seller it became apparent (to me at least) they probably slash destroyed the contents & covered it up (the seller used the original small HP parts box which had also been slashed open with no care at all).  :-- :--

Also note that GSP will destroy anything that they decide is hazardous (even if it isn't) without any say from either you or the seller.  :wtf:
And also they have size & weight limits that are lower than USPS etc. these items tend to reappear at resellers in Kentucky (just something to be aware of if you buy boat-anchors like me).

David
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 09:20:45 pm by factory »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16418 on: September 16, 2018, 09:20:37 pm »
Something interesting happening here. My entire road is blocked by two police vans with lights going  :scared:

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #16419 on: September 16, 2018, 09:31:12 pm »
... I must confess that I did not follow the 12 commandments properly. I did build stuff even with a modest set of T&M equipment. Maybe I'm a lighter case then, or the TEA virus has a variant with a long incubation time.  >:D

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #16420 on: September 16, 2018, 10:33:52 pm »
... I must confess that I did not follow the 12 commandments properly. I did build stuff even with a modest set of T&M equipment. Maybe I'm a lighter case then, or the TEA virus has a variant with a long incubation time. >:D
Yup....
Sue AF6LJ

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16421 on: September 16, 2018, 10:59:26 pm »
Something interesting happening here. My entire road is blocked by two police vans with lights going  :scared:
First mnementh had a police incident then you  :palm: no shooting I hope? Maybe they heard about the crap your planning to dump via Ebay  :-DD

How is that going by the way, listing ends tomorrow.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16422 on: September 16, 2018, 11:04:22 pm »
... I must confess that I did not follow the 12 commandments properly. I did build stuff even with a modest set of T&M equipment. Maybe I'm a lighter case then, or the TEA virus has a variant with a long incubation time.  >:D
There are many routes to TEA, some people can cut right through the commandments by previous qualifications / actions. All that matters is that you did find your way here in the end  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16423 on: September 16, 2018, 11:42:41 pm »
There are many routes to TEA, some people can cut right through the commandments by previous qualifications / actions. All that matters is that you did find your way here in the end  :-DD

"...Mirrors on the ceiling,
& pink champagne on ice.
Then she said,
'We are all just prisoners here; of our own device...' "

https://youtu.be/ahdkigY8h6w

mnem
"....'Relax' said the night man,
'We are programmed to receive.
You can check out any time you like,
But you can never leave...'
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 11:48:52 pm by mnementh »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16424 on: September 17, 2018, 12:14:24 am »
I think that should be the official TEA anthem, might it get added to the POI etc?
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf