Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14831294 times)

Carl_Smith and 155 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #19225 on: November 06, 2018, 08:16:14 am »
Haha. Sort of basically yes. All it does is count the clock edges.

That calculator was replaced on warranty. Amazon just sent another one out and told me to throw that one away.  :-+

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19226 on: November 06, 2018, 08:20:31 am »
Haha. Sort of basically yes. All it does is count the clock edges.

That calculator was replaced on warranty. Amazon just sent another one out and told me to throw that one away.  :-+
I wonder how many times they will do that before they discover the brick you that you mash the keys with? [emoji6]

Seriously, that was good of them, was it a decent calculator or a generic cheap as chips one?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19227 on: November 06, 2018, 08:32:09 am »
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0719FWP3X/

Decent quality and not the cheap end.

Starting to regret switching to it from my HP 50g.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #19228 on: November 06, 2018, 08:55:56 am »
Does a counter count when it doesn't count?

That's a good philosophical question.

I suggest you don't contemplate giving an accurate answer, since it may lead to (more) mental problems.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #19229 on: November 06, 2018, 10:22:50 am »
I look at it this way. If you have to count your counters, DMM's, oscilloscopes, etc it is the first step towards admitting that you have a problem.

I prefer to remain ignorant. Who me? A problem? Nah.... :-DD :-DD :-DD 
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #19230 on: November 06, 2018, 10:46:53 am »
This is a good deal. A 2445 with a P6046 Differential probe. It does appear that the beam find is stuck on which is no big deal to fix.

Unfortunately it's way down in mid New Jersey and just a little too far.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #19231 on: November 06, 2018, 12:40:12 pm »

I suggest you don't contemplate giving an accurate answer, since it may lead to (more) mental problems.

On another forum a guy was arguing that a capacitor wasn't really a capacitor if it wasn't in a circuit.  :palm:
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19232 on: November 06, 2018, 01:19:06 pm »

I must admit that I was surprised to discover it was a Casio, I thought you was a HP man, mind you though, you could get 10 of the Casio's for the same money.

The keys on the 50G are more man sized so the keyboard may last longer as a result of fewer wrong keys pressed and then right one pressed in anger?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 01:23:33 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19233 on: November 06, 2018, 01:22:08 pm »

On another forum a guy was arguing that a capacitor wasn't really a capacitor if it wasn't in a circuit.  :palm:
He's a twat, thats like saying a plug is not a plug unless its in a socket? I suppose he'd argue that the world was flat  |O
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19234 on: November 06, 2018, 01:28:24 pm »
Just ordered so 99.9% Isopropyl Alcohol from Amazon because it was available on Prime and also some squeezy bottles to dispense it with, all was in stock and now I have an email telling me that the bottles will be here tomorrow and the Isopropyl on Friday???  :wtf: Thought Prime was free next day delivery  :-//
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19235 on: November 06, 2018, 01:34:54 pm »
Not always next day. Depends on where you are and which warehouse it was from. Some stuff comes from EU and some from UK. Down here most stuff turns up 6-8pm same day which is nice.

I must admit that I was surprised to discover it was a Casio, I thought you was a HP man, mind you though, you could get 10 of the Casio's for the same money.

The keys on the 50G are more man sized so the keyboard may last longer as a result of fewer wrong keys pressed and then right one pressed in anger?

Problem with 50g is it eats batteries (ARM CPU) and I can never remember how to use anything but the basic functions. You can fudge through the Casio easily.

Edit: the 50g has three manuals, two of which are 1000+ pages of reference and programming info. It’s a fully blown computing environment really.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 01:37:23 pm by bd139 »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #19236 on: November 06, 2018, 01:41:49 pm »
Does TEA have Twelve Steps?
I am powerless over spec sheets for low end oscilloscopes of today, as they have capabilities that were simply UNOBTANIUM when I was a kid and Tectronix was King.

My Sad Story is here:

My Oscilloscope Affair: A Love Story

I once had an affair with an Eico and an Identical TWIN PAIR of Tektronix scopes at the same time...
(SNIP for Brevity's Sake)
My Tektronix Twins Stared on in Blank Disbelief. My Girlfriend ran down the steps. I was fairly certain that she wasn't going to be back with a fuse. -- Or ever. When she did came back, I was trying to put the smoke back into the Eico, but the Rescue Mission quickly became a Recovery Operation, and then an Autopsy. And my Girlfriend didn't come back with a fuse, but she DID blow a fuse when I asked her if she had one. We got married.

73 and All the Best!
(SNIP)
DE W8LV Bill

Hi Bill! Thanks for sharing, and welcome to TEA! There's a fresh pot of Chock Full O' Nuts brewing, and breakfast tacos in the warmer over there.   ~~~~>

Now I'm gonna ask... the one salient point you omitted; the question EVERYONE HERE wants to know the answer to... WHAT MODEL WERE THE TEKTRONIX TWINS?!?   :-DD

Yes, we have a 12 steps Program; right here. We also have a glossary of terms common to our shared affliction directly above that post.  >:D

And congratulations on the girlfriend... she DID come back, so you found a KEEPER! 

I married an enabler... she has over the years bought me a brand-new 1054Z, several power supplies, several meters, my first Taranis, and countless bits of electronic parts... (yes, she can EVEN READ A BOM!!!  :bullshit: )  and my 3rd (maybe 5th) favorite soldering station of all time, the Aoyue 2702.

Glad you found your way to our little corner of the eevBlog mayhem... We do TEA a little differently here, but all are welcome!

Just like my craptacular bedframe... *eyes bd suspiciously, then casts furtive glances around the room*

Hummmph. Posh git calculator, that is. When I was a kid, we were lucky to have all 4 arithmetic functions and a scratchpad!!!  :-DD 'ere's a REAL calculator!!!

mnem
Counting all your counters is the first step towards DENIAL.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 01:52:06 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #19237 on: November 06, 2018, 01:57:35 pm »

He's a twat, thats like saying a plug is not a plug unless its in a socket? I suppose he'd argue that the world was flat  |O

I don't try to figure 'em out I just report things.  :-DD

And for this week's FAIL:

Found this last night when removing the charger cable from my iPad. I suspect the internal power lines shorted? Device is fine. :palm:

I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19238 on: November 06, 2018, 02:01:47 pm »
LOL done that. The strain relief on those cables is shit.

If you take it back to Apple store they'll give you a new one free.

Offline Housedad

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19239 on: November 06, 2018, 02:08:12 pm »

Hummmph. Posh git calculator, that is. When I was a kid, we were lucky to have all 4 arithmetic functions and a scratchpad!!!  :-DD 'ere's a REAL calculator!!!

mnem

Calculator?  You had calculators?  We had slide rules in my day.  and my Pa had rocks and chisels and he helped put men on the Moon.

Youngins.  Go figure.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 02:10:44 pm by Housedad »
At least I'm still older than my test equipment

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19240 on: November 06, 2018, 02:19:22 pm »
My mother was a calculator for a bit (true story!)

I am seriously tempted by one of these bad boys from Swiss Micros:

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19241 on: November 06, 2018, 02:48:34 pm »

Harumph. All I had was a slipstick. Still got it.

Never could get over finding out that pi2=G=10 wasn't true. Never had any problem thinking 1+2*3=9.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19242 on: November 06, 2018, 03:16:11 pm »
Here are my 2 main scientific calculators, of which I have a fair number, also financial and just straightforward 4 bangers, but the Commodore is the default goto for everything. I brought in new many years ago when I was at college and it still works flawlessly today. I also broughty its big brother PR100 (programmable) but the battery is rechargeable and needs replacing, only lasts for approx 30 mins.

The TI-92 was purchased on eBay a few years ago and it also has about 3 manuals and can get very complicated and its let down by its poor screen contrast but it can also be programmed to play games on it like space invaders etc.

Who let Murphy in?

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19243 on: November 06, 2018, 03:22:56 pm »
Here are my 2 main scientific calculators, of which I have a fair number, also financial and just straightforward 4 bangers, but the Commodore is the default goto for everything. I brought in new many years ago when I was at college and it still works flawlessly today. I also broughty its big brother PR100 (programmable) but the battery is rechargeable and needs replacing, only lasts for approx 30 mins.

The TI-92 was purchased on eBay a few years ago and it also has about 3 manuals and can get very complicated and its let down by its poor screen contrast but it can also be programmed to play games on it like space invaders etc.

I have a Sinclair Scientific that almost works as designed. I also have an HP35 in a mahogany case, and a couple of special edition HP32Ss. But most frequently I use an HP15 emulation running under Wine :)

For anything more, I use spreadsheets and Python/Java/whatever as appropriate.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #19244 on: November 06, 2018, 03:33:50 pm »
Well that was painful but it's done and it works. About 6 months ago my ISP started charging $10/month for rental of their cable modem. Well, screw that. I bought my own modem and they can shove theirs. But they certainly don't make it easy to register the MAC address even on line but you bastards I figured it out.  :rant:  It works fine and my speed is same as before. 

Now I can finally go get some sleep.  :-+

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19245 on: November 06, 2018, 03:36:34 pm »
@Specmaster: I had a TI92 for about 5 years. Seriously powerful bit of kit that. CAS on it is same as the TI89 which is pretty good.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19246 on: November 06, 2018, 04:26:56 pm »
@Specmaster: I had a TI92 for about 5 years. Seriously powerful bit of kit that. CAS on it is same as the TI89 which is pretty good.
Yep, I like TI calcs, I have somewhere around a 55 III, 58C, 30, 81, 85, Business Analyst, and I think maybe a 84 along with a few others from Sharp, Sinclair, Casio etc. Its an early form of GAS and TEA for me  :-DD :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19247 on: November 06, 2018, 04:44:59 pm »
85 was another damn good one :)

I had the same thing for a few years as well. I actually a little niche business going buying lots of TI83's at the start of summer when all the students were getting rid of them and the market was saturated for between £6-10 a pop, tidying them up and selling for £40 buy it now at the end of summer. I think I sold nearly 80 one year  :-DD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #19248 on: November 06, 2018, 05:06:29 pm »

mnem

Calculator?  You had calculators?  We had slide rules in my day.  and my Pa had rocks and chisels and he helped put men on the Moon.

Youngins.  Go figure.

Heee-heeee-heeee! I KNEW the hornet's nest I was eyeballin'...  >:D   ...but I just HADDA kick it anyways!    :-DD

Here's the only one I have left... I inherited this with a bunch of mics and calipers from my grandfather. Rebranded Relay 150; Celluloid over bamboo, '50s collegiate grade.

Nothing special about it except memories, I'm afraid. *sigh*

mnem
[PSA MODE]

If yer a-merkin, an' ye hain't dunnit yet...   GO VOTE, BITCHES!!!

[/PSA MODE]
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 05:09:28 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19249 on: November 06, 2018, 05:15:29 pm »
Here's the only one I have left... I inherited this with a bunch of mics and calipers from my grandfather. Rebranded Relay 150; Celluloid over bamboo, '50s collegiate grade.

And I inherited this, my favourite tool. It was old when I first used it, and now it is half a century older.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 05:19:02 pm by tggzzz »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf