Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14903680 times)

Gertjan and 165 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline INFINIUM

• Contributor
  • chip maker with AMAT
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #20450 on: November 30, 2018, 02:06:28 pm »
..  ...  ---  -.-

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #20451 on: November 30, 2018, 02:08:22 pm »
OK kiddies, I've started my renovation project and I'm going to reveal my plans. That area in the first pix will now be occupied by a 2 foot (61cm) x 8 (244cm) foot bench. The 2nd pix is the rough top completed. Two 12 inch (30cm) by 8 foot (244cm) pine boards butt jointed together with glue and cleats. There is still much more work to do before it's done. Trim work then sanding. Stain and poly. Fashion the bench legs and install electrical. I hope to have it done before Christmas.

Once done this will more than double the bench space. Which means infinitely more TEA.    :-+ :-DD

An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20452 on: November 30, 2018, 02:09:59 pm »
..  ...  ---  -.-

Whats with the morse code?  ISOK :-//
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 02:13:17 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20453 on: November 30, 2018, 02:18:15 pm »
OK kiddies, I've started my renovation project and I'm going to reveal my plans. That area in the first pix will now be occupied by a 2 foot (61cm) x 8 (244cm) foot bench. The 2nd pix is the rough top completed. Two 12 inch (30cm) by 8 foot (244cm) pine boards butt jointed together with glue and cleats. There is still much more work to do before it's done. Trim work then sanding. Stain and poly. Fashion the bench legs and install electrical. I hope to have it done before Christmas.

Once done this will more than double the bench space. Which means infinitely more TEA.    :-+ :-DD

Looking good.  :-+ Definitely plenty of space for more stuff  :-DD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #20454 on: November 30, 2018, 06:53:36 pm »
Does anyone know where one might obtain HP seven segment displays for the older voltmeters? Turns out the character on my 3455A that handles the most significant digit is dead, and I hadn't noticed it simply because I hadn't needed to measure anything above 10V. The part number according to the service manual is 1990-0540.

Figure this will make an even better excuse to open the front panel and fix the sticky keys!  :box:
http://www.sphere.bc.ca/test/hp-parts/hpparts5.html
13 in stock @ $8 ea

Did you see this little gem also on the same page?

I know $45 for a 6 digit 0.4-0.5" display is crazy. but part of me STILL wants to buy it just so I HAVE to build something out of it.  :-DD

Does anyone know where one might obtain HP seven segment displays for the older voltmeters? Turns out the character on my 3455A that handles the most significant digit is dead, and I hadn't noticed it simply because I hadn't needed to measure anything above 10V. The part number according to the service manual is 1990-0540.

Figure this will make an even better excuse to open the front panel and fix the sticky keys!  :box:
these should work.  pm an address and i'll stick a couple in an envelope.  (they came out of a long gone 5345a counter)

I looked, and the ones I have are HDSP-3400. I've attached the datasheet; if they'll work, drop me a PM and I'll put a couple in the mail.

..  ...  ---  -.-

Yes... Yes it is.  :-+

Enough room for med to be REALLY dangerous!  :-DD   I think we all need to pitch in and get him some digit prophylactics...  >:D

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #20455 on: November 30, 2018, 07:30:54 pm »

these should work.

pm an address and i'll stick a couple in an envelope.  (they came out of a long gone 5345a counter)

PM sent!

Offline GregDunn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20456 on: November 30, 2018, 08:39:39 pm »
It's really great to see fellow members rifle through their spares bins looking for parts to help other members out of a hole, long may this spirit of comradeship continue, this just has to be very best electronics forum in the world  :-+ :-+ :-+

Seconded.  I've been asked not to publicly name them, but I've been the recipient of some very kind assistance in getting parts via the forums.

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #20457 on: November 30, 2018, 08:43:04 pm »

http://www.sphere.bc.ca/test/hp-parts/hpparts5.html
13 in stock @ $8 ea

Hi,

who cares about the LEDs, but the octopus is great. Where did you get this one ?  >:D
   Did you see this little gem also on the same page?

I know $45 for a 6 digit 0.4-0.5" display is crazy. but part of me STILL wants to buy it just so I HAVE to build something out of it.  :-DD

these should work.  pm an address and i'll stick a couple in an envelope.  (they came out of a long gone 5345a counter)

I looked, and the ones I have are HDSP-3400. I've attached the datasheet; if they'll work, drop me a PM and I'll put a couple in the mail.

..  ...  ---  -.-

Yes... Yes it is.  :-+

Enough room for med to be REALLY dangerous!  :-DD   I think we all need to pitch in and get him some digit prophylactics...  >:D

mnem

Hi,

who cares about the LEDs, but the octopus is great. Where did you get this one ?  >:D
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 09:11:48 pm by Wolfgang »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20458 on: November 30, 2018, 09:00:13 pm »
It's really great to see fellow members rifle through their spares bins looking for parts to help other members out of a hole, long may this spirit of comradeship continue, this just has to be very best electronics forum in the world  :-+ :-+ :-+

Seconded.  I've been asked not to publicly name them, but I've been the recipient of some very kind assistance in getting parts via the forums.
Ditto, I have both been the recipient and the donor but identities not revealed of the other parties as requested. It is good to see the spirit of cooperation living on[emoji106]
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20459 on: November 30, 2018, 09:14:37 pm »
Interesting device: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192742756736

I suspect the board is cracked based on the circumstances of the damage and the fact the fuses test out ok. Unfortunately it's the EX version which means the board is mostly potted into the chassis so that will never work again properly.  :--

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #20460 on: November 30, 2018, 09:47:52 pm »

Thanks! I'm not sure if those will work, but let me check. nixiefreqq is sending me the ones he has, so we shall see if they work first. Thanks all! You guys rock!  :-+

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #20461 on: November 30, 2018, 11:33:34 pm »
Hey it's Friday Night TEA!

It has arrived - the hp 8904A Multifunction Synthesizer!  :clap:

Packed very, very nicely - and ... it has feet! I finally got hp kit with feet. I plan to celebrate that with a glass of wine  :-+

It is a very clean unit inside and out. Outputs look good. It has option 002 (two outputs). I hope to hack the other options into working tomorrow via The DEFPOMs video.  >:D

The two outputs with grounded returns are marked with a green pen. I can't really make out the symbols. May have had something to do with a specific test - who knows?

I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #20462 on: November 30, 2018, 11:54:45 pm »
Nice condition  :-+

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20463 on: December 01, 2018, 12:06:00 am »

The two outputs with grounded returns are marked with a green pen. I can't really make out the symbols. May have had something to do with a specific test - who knows?
Looks like arrows like 'connect here'.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #20464 on: December 01, 2018, 12:30:13 am »
Nice unit and beautiful condition.  :-+ But all that function and only 600KHz? I would have expected much higher bandwidth capability or am I missing something concerning it's intended use?   :-//

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #20465 on: December 01, 2018, 12:33:49 am »

mnem

That will come in quite handy to give to certain individuals on the day I retire.  >:D

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #20466 on: December 01, 2018, 12:36:37 am »
That will come in quite handy to give to certain individuals on the day I retire.  >:D

I am thinking of 'special' Kris Kringle presents with maybe a flashing LED fitted inside. Mmmm 3D printer sitting spare at present....... >:D

Already available  :-DD https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2986959

https://youtu.be/qaktn2QLpFc
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 12:41:44 am by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #20467 on: December 01, 2018, 12:43:10 am »

I am thinking of 'special' Kris Kringle presents with maybe a flashing LED fitted inside. Mmmm 3D printer sitting spare at present....... >:D

Already available  :-DD

Do it !

New lab door greeting.  ;D
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20468 on: December 01, 2018, 12:48:18 am »
Nice unit and beautiful condition.  :-+ But all that function and only 600KHz? I would have expected much higher bandwidth capability or am I missing something concerning it's intended use?   :-//

No you aren't missing anything. In the time period when it was developed (remember this is probably two decades ago) it fit a market niche in the lower frequency range that hp decided to sell to.

From the brochure -

"Broad sinewave
frequency coverage from 0.1 Hz to
600 kHz with 0.1 Hz resolution make
the 8904A ideal for a number of low frequency
applications.

All this unique capability makes the
8904A a powerful tool for demanding
applications like VOR, ILS, FM Stereo,
and communications signaling."
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20469 on: December 01, 2018, 12:53:33 am »
@xrunner, that hp 8904A certainly looks like its been well cared for, great catch but why to big for my little bench and its why to restricted in its frequency but if it suits your needs, you did well there.  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #20470 on: December 01, 2018, 01:34:18 am »

Are you planning to put shelves above it?  If so, depending on shelf depth, 24" might be a bit shallow.  My bench is 33" wide with 12" shelves above it and that seems just enough room.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #20471 on: December 01, 2018, 02:58:24 am »

Are you planning to put shelves above it?  If so, depending on shelf depth, 24" might be a bit shallow.  My bench is 33" wide with 12" shelves above it and that seems just enough room.

No, there are no plans at this point to install shelves above it. Any "overflow" will go into the special TEA closet.  ;D
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 03:00:13 am by med6753 »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20472 on: December 01, 2018, 03:55:31 am »
(SNIP)

mnem

Hi,  who cares about the LEDs, but the octopus is great. Where did you get this one ?  >:D

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2425465

Thingiverse; where else?  :-DD

Same here. Looks to me like it was part of a test jig of some sort, and those marks were placed there to remind the user to plug into the HIGH pair, rather than a HIGH and a LOW which, somewhat confusingly, are placed side by side in an alternating pattern.

I think this was the one that was described earlier as a "prehistoric AWG"... mayhaps the value is more what it achieved with the tech of the time?

Sure could be interesting as a signal source to a MOOG rack...  :o

mnem

Look above for where to get it for yourself.  ;)

Already available  :-DD https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2986959

That is both hypnotic and disgusting at the same time.  :-DD

mnem
Dammit... now I need to shop for some translucent filament...  |O
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 04:20:40 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20473 on: December 01, 2018, 04:19:25 am »

Same here. Looks to me like it was part of a test jig of some sort, and those marks were placed there to remind the user to plug into the HIGH pair, rather than a HIGH and a LOW which confusingly, were placed side by side.

I think this was the one that was described earlier as a "prehistoric AWG"... mayhaps the value is more what it achieved with the tech of the time?

Sure could be interesting as a signal source to a MOOG rack...  :o

Yes exactly mnementh it's a classic hp product so for me it's all good in the hood.  :-+

Yea looks like someone who set up a test rig/scenario just took his/her green pen and marked the correct outputs for the technicians to take note of.  :-// However, I don't need those marks to help me so they have been removed with 91% alcohol.  :)

I did check the backup battery and it reads 3.3V. Seems pretty good. I have found the same exact replacement available - should I replace it? All opinions are read and considered!  :popcorn:

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20474 on: December 01, 2018, 04:24:22 am »
I did check the backup battery and it reads 3.3V. Seems pretty good. I have found the same exact replacement available - should I replace it? All opinions are read and considered!  :popcorn:

Don't go by the voltage. Go by the date code on the battery. THAT is your only real yardstick. If you're lucky, it's been replaced recently.

mnem
*More than the sum of my differential pairs*

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf