Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14552980 times)

ch_scr, Qw3rtzuiop and 24 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #20800 on: December 07, 2018, 02:13:54 am »
I remember that episode as well, now that van was a far newer model then mine and I just wish I had that Jaguar engine in mine, it totally destroyed that UTE  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #20801 on: December 07, 2018, 02:22:03 am »
I once heard about a student prank where the students moved the priciple's car across the car park. It turned out he wasn't very amused and moving a car over more than a handful of feet legally counts theft, so the students were prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

I've been trying to dig the story up but I seem to come up empty, so don't quote me on it.
Tame. Caulfield Institute of Tech students circa when I went to Uni disassembled a car took it up to the 4th floor in the lift then reassembled it  :-DD   In Australian style no charges were laid as I recall.

We in the metal shop gang disassembled the coach's Beetle and reassembled it on the stage in the gym for Junior Prom. Good thing he had a sense of humor and called off the principal... we almost didn't get to go.  :palm:

Another time we cut blocks in wood shop exactly the right height to go under the swingarms and hold the rear wheels just 1" off the ground. The look on his face as he tried to pull out of the lot was priceless... especially when got out, walked around the car, and tried to leave again.  :-DD

Another time we hooked a car horn up to the starter circuit and hid it under the dash. He got us back with that though... turned it into his "practice whistle" and ran us ragged doing laps back and forth.

HOOOONNNK! *Shufffleshufffleshuffling stampede one way*   HOOOONNNK! *Shufffleshufffleshuffling stampede the other*   HOOOONNNK! *Shufffleshufffleshuffling stampede one way*   HOOOONNNK! *Shufffleshufffleshuffling stampede the other*   HOOOONNNK! *Shufffleshufffleshuffling stampede one way*   HOOOONNNK! *Shufffleshufffleshuffling stampede...*    :-DD   :-DD   :-DD

We always fessed up, and we cheerfully undid anything we did to his car. Probably the only reason we actually graduated... that and the fact he got free repairs in auto mech, where half of us were the same kids.

Of course, I grew up in a different age... where joyriding was treated as a prank gone too far and resolved like adults between parents, and the cops' first response wasn't lethal force or trying to prosecute a 12-year-old as an adult.  :palm:

mnem
*Primal motorhead*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #20802 on: December 07, 2018, 02:23:12 am »
For those who haven't seen a real mans Ford Transit.

https://youtu.be/537FDgzGv2A
;D
The buddys 302 Transit was reasonably quick for its day and surprised a few at the lights too.
We used to load it to the gunnels, hook a boat on the back and pile 4 guys into it for week long hunting and fishing trips......never slowed it down one iota !
Them were the days.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20803 on: December 07, 2018, 02:30:21 am »
The original version of that vehicle was a '60-something Econoline van like mine with a 454 Chevy in the back called the Draggin' Wagon. I saw it in person at a NHRA event in Carlisle as a youngster. I kept my '64 for years after I took it off the road, telling myself I was going to clone that thing.

mnem
*Suddenly feeling so very, very old...*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #20804 on: December 07, 2018, 02:35:58 am »
The original version of that vehicle was a '60-something Econoline van like mine with a 454 Chevy in the back called the Draggin' Wagon. I saw it in person at a NHRA event in Carlisle as a youngster. I kept my '64 for years after I took it off the road, telling myself I was going to clone that thing.

mnem
There's a whole community building sleepers like those. I tend to favour those over kitted out carnival rides. Those attract the wrong kind of attention from the crowd and law enforcement. A nice sleeper is something to enjoy for yourself.

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #20805 on: December 07, 2018, 03:07:45 am »
so the mess got even messier:

You can still see the static-dissipative mat. All is well. :-+

By the way, that desk looks similar to one I had once. The depth of it is great for a workspace.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #20806 on: December 07, 2018, 03:14:10 am »
I always love seeing two same generation 34401As stacked on top of each other. I really don't need another one, but already almost pulled the trigger for this very reason.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #20807 on: December 07, 2018, 04:14:19 am »
I really don't need another one, but already almost pulled the trigger for this very reason.
YES! You do!

You have already given the reason:
I always love seeing two same generation 34401As stacked on top of each other.

Just do it ... You know you want to...                    >:D

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20808 on: December 07, 2018, 05:30:38 am »

mnem
There's a whole community building sleepers like those. I tend to favour those over kitted out carnival rides. Those attract the wrong kind of attention from the crowd and law enforcement. A nice sleeper is something to enjoy for yourself.

Yeah, I know... I was one of them. ;)

*1972 VW Beetle - Full Frame, 460 Ford/C6 in the trunk
*1939 Ford Deluxe - Dual MccCulloch-Blown 231 Buick V6/TH400
*1966 Pontiac Catalina - Ram Air IV 400/TH400
*1969 Olds Cutlass Convertible - Twin "301" Turbo Pontiac 400/TH400
*1969 Dodge Coronet - SB 400/TF904, 440 Max Wedge/TF727
*1979 F150 - Caddy 500 & TH400
*1980 Triumph SpitFire - 2800 Ford 60° V6 (Cologne) & 5 Speed

Plus I kibbutzed on at least a couple dozen other people's builds. Yeah, I really loved my TH400s. I had tuning them down to a science; drilled the valve bodies, modded the accumulators, even turned some custom pistons & pucks to get the shift characteristics I wanted. B&M was my best friend; they even made me a couple "in-between" torque converters so I could get just the stall speed I wanted. I NEVER had to neutral drop; I just dropped the pedal and GO! ;)

mnem
*Steering with the right foot*

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #20809 on: December 07, 2018, 05:53:03 am »
YES! You do!

I did want to, but luckily somebody saved me by buying it right as I was requesting more information about the exact condition.  :phew:

From the point of view of things I practically need in my lab I really can't come up with a use or an excuse. Something like a DMM6500 would make much more sense and even that would be a bit of a luxury.

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #20810 on: December 07, 2018, 06:00:40 am »
Forget about a puny 34401a and matching meters Man up and add an Advantest R6871E to the bench after first extending and reinforcing said bench maybe punching out a wall to allow for the extra depth ........  ;)

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20811 on: December 07, 2018, 08:31:10 am »
Forget about a puny 34401a and matching meters Man up and add an Advantest R6871E to the bench after first extending and reinforcing said bench maybe punching out a wall to allow for the extra depth ........  ;)

Nice meters!  :)
Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20812 on: December 07, 2018, 09:43:53 am »
I really don't need another one, but already almost pulled the trigger for this very reason.
YES! You do!

You have already given the reason:
I always love seeing two same generation 34401As stacked on top of each other.

Go on do it! You can never have too many meters, 1 is not sufficient, it's a starting point only. I had to use 5 at once last week and that was on what many here would consider boring, a stereo system. [emoji6]
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #20813 on: December 07, 2018, 10:36:58 am »
Go on do it! You can never have too many meters, 1 is not sufficient, it's a starting point only. I had to use 5 at once last week and that was on what many here would consider boring, a stereo system. [emoji6]
Who says I only have one? Or two? Or five?

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #20814 on: December 07, 2018, 12:46:30 pm »
Who says I only have one? Or two? Or five?

I haven't confirmed but on the TEA side of a dozen I suspect for me ;D
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20815 on: December 07, 2018, 01:00:39 pm »
I’ve only got 6 now. Need more.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #20816 on: December 07, 2018, 01:07:39 pm »
Are we counting meters of the calibre of a 34401A - or just any meter?

If the former, then zero.

If the latter ... I'll have to go count.

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #20817 on: December 07, 2018, 03:22:10 pm »
The battery is soon to be delivered, so I pulled the board that has the backup battery from the hp 8904A. Upon inspection of the solder pads underneath it does appear that the battery has been replaced. However, due to the lack of forethought of the person who replaced it  :rant: , not putting any dates on a sticker, I will start over with a new one (with the date written on the battery and on a sticker on the back). I also made a simple temporary battery rig, which I will just keep in a drawer for future TEA needing this done.

Also will be receiving a new IEC input filter to be replaced, just to be on the safe side.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20818 on: December 07, 2018, 03:29:34 pm »
I hate it when people do that. I usually write it on the cell if it’s a button one.

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20819 on: December 07, 2018, 03:36:45 pm »
It's that time of the year ...

Before I started with that HV PSU project ....... turns my lab into a romantic Christmas lit tea room: ;D

SCNR
Come on, are you trying to hide the corona discharge by that?

You can't see it, so its perfectly hidden, isn't it?
Now, 250 volts are not really 'high voltage', but compared to my standard lab supplies it feels like that.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20820 on: December 07, 2018, 03:55:23 pm »

Jeezus bean... are trying to scare the poor man shi*less?  :-DD

*Clutches his "Test Trio" tight*   :P

The battery is soon to be delivered, so I pulled the board that has the backup battery from the hp 8904A. Upon inspection of the solder pads underneath it does appear that the battery has been replaced. However, due to the lack of forethought of the person who replaced it  :rant: , not putting any dates on a sticker, I will start over with a new one (with the date written on the battery and on a sticker on the back). I also made a simple temporary battery rig, which I will just keep in a drawer for future TEA needing this done.

Also will be receiving a new IEC input filter to be replaced, just to be on the safe side.
Can you see a date code on the cell now that you have the board out?  The Panasonic is one I see recommended as an "Upgrade" for the original SAFT cell in these, and is at least a 10 year cell in this application. Might be best to err on the side of caution.

Nicely MacGyverfied on the coin battery dingus, BTW.  :-+

I hate it when people do that. I usually write it on the cell if it’s a button one.

Yup. Mr Sharpie is any tech's best friend. I keep a pile of different colors right next to a cheap Brother labelmaker for cabling.

(SNIP)
Now, 250 volts are not really 'high voltage', but compared to my standard lab supplies it feels like that.

Here, stick out your tongue...  :-DD

mnem
*Lit up like Tim Taylor*
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 04:01:02 pm by mnementh »

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20821 on: December 07, 2018, 03:58:40 pm »
so the mess got even messier:

You can still see the static-dissipative mat. All is well. :-+

By the way, that desk looks similar to one I had once. The depth of it is great for a workspace.

Of course it wasn't that deep originally, but I added a wooden board. Looks awful but does its job (this is often the result of my work :))
However, there's no static-dissipative mat. The white sheet is just the schematics of the PSU.

All is not well anymore. Before starting part 2 of the job for my friend, I actually cleaned up the desk. Then looked for the loose connection at his mains powered Fein screwdriver. Found it easily enough - the cable was strangely soft right behind the antikink. However, I somehow managed to entangle my feet in the power cord. When I got up, I pulled the machine from the desk. It thanked me by stamping a nice hole in my parquet floor. |O
Guess the P can also apply to legs and feet, not just fingers ...

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20822 on: December 07, 2018, 04:02:34 pm »
I always love seeing two same generation 34401As stacked on top of each other. I really don't need another one, but already almost pulled the trigger for this very reason.

Today I almost replaced the Siemens and Kontron DMMs with my other 2 34401As, as I like them much more. Instead I started that Fein job that turned sour.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20823 on: December 07, 2018, 04:10:08 pm »
(SNIP)However, I somehow managed to entangle my feet in the power cord. When I got up, I pulled the machine from the desk. It thanked me by stamping a nice hole in my parquet floor. |O
Guess the P can also apply to legs and feet, not just fingers ...

A damp cloth and an iron set just hot enough to make steam can often raise the grain back mostly to where it should be. Then a little epoxy leveled with a razor blade to fill in the remaining gap and seal the wood, or if it's close enough, seal with polyurethane varnish.

I filled so many dings in my old desk this way it looked like jaguar hide when the light hit it right.  :P

mnem
*Off to cast my vote*

The following users thanked this post: Ero-Shan

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20824 on: December 07, 2018, 04:13:57 pm »
And while I'm at it, and since I had some space on the desk, and since I received a parcel on Wednesday ...

I got weak. Again.  But my PM2421 desperately asked for some company from the same family tree. How could I have resisted a Nixie counter?

2 knob caps are missing, and the blue functions don't work according to the seller, but apart from that, looks quite good. This is the 10 MHz from my GPSDO:

Slightly extending my footprint in Nixieland.  :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf