Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14406802 times)

Peter_O, EggertEnjoyer123 and 29 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #20875 on: December 08, 2018, 09:00:12 pm »
That being said, nice kit. I really think R&S hit it on the head with that one.

Well, the marketeers won: it trumpets the sampling rate but neglects to mention the bandwidth. Result: wonderfully smooth lines, but you don't know what they are hiding.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20876 on: December 08, 2018, 09:02:46 pm »
Well you certainly polished that up nicely, I bet its still in calibration too.

Voltage metering is out. Current metering is about right. Will look tomorrow.

BTW this is what they sometimes look like inside  :--

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20877 on: December 08, 2018, 09:15:16 pm »
Yes, I know, that was the previous one that was in a right state and also I believe the one you photographed backlit as well?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #20878 on: December 08, 2018, 09:39:29 pm »
Well, the marketeers won: it trumpets the sampling rate but neglects to mention the bandwidth. Result: wonderfully smooth lines, but you don't know what they are hiding.
I don't care. I felt previous R&S equipment wasa bit on the boring side, but this design balances shiny and pretty and slight understating perfectly. I wouldn't care if it had the bandwidth of a brick and the noise specifications of a 1950's Japanese transistor. I want one.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 09:42:15 pm by Mr. Scram »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20879 on: December 08, 2018, 09:49:14 pm »
Yes, I know, that was the previous one that was in a right state and also I believe the one you photographed backlit as well?

Yep updated earlier post with that picture too.

Decided I've seen Thor enough times and did the calibration. It was completely off and drifting all over the place. Some scratching of the head resulted in the metering switch being the culprit as the output was not drifting. Quick squirt of switch cleaner and all good. Works absolutely perfectly. Me happy.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #20880 on: December 08, 2018, 09:56:35 pm »

Isn't that the one I suggested you should maybe remove the meter/transformer and put in the dishwasher?  :-DD

mnem
 :popcorn:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline blacksheeplogic

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20881 on: December 08, 2018, 10:00:19 pm »
Before, literally when picked up:

Interesting to see this supply, I had several of these supplies a few years ago and threw them out where I moved. Too heavy and old to be worth shipping.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #20882 on: December 08, 2018, 10:07:55 pm »
Electronics is just a hobby for me. (I am a lawyer by profession.)

Last week I won a big trial. I haven't even sent out the invoice for that case, let alone been paid, when this happened.

Do I need help?

We (I) won't hold it against you that you are an attorney even though I have a personal disdain for that profession due to my experiences in the New York State Family Court System. Besides, you are in the UK so that's OK.  :-+ :-DD

BUT.....make sure the SWMBO (if present) is willing to accept your new found addiction or you may wind up taking the proceeds from your big invoice to pay a fellow attorney when she packs her bags.  :o >:D

Other than that....WELCOME....and post up the rest of your stuff and join this motley crew.  :-+

An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20883 on: December 08, 2018, 10:08:10 pm »
Isn't that the one I suggested you should maybe remove the meter/transformer and put in the dishwasher?  :-DD

Yeah that's the one  :-DD

I probably could have sorted it easy enough by desoldering the transformer and hitting it with a wire brush and some shellac. But I couldn't be arsed by then!

Interesting to see this supply, I had several of these supplies a few years ago and threw them out where I moved. Too heavy and old to be worth shipping.

Perhaps surprisingly they're better than a lot of the modern ones because they are old. Huh? Well the new ones i.e. E36xx etc tend to have quite a bit of noise on the outputs due to the digital panel meters. Same with the Thurlby ones. No one seems to notice this because the noise immunity is pretty good on most circuits. That is until you start playing around with lots of high gain RF amplifiers like in receivers. These are second only to batteries for quietness.

Throwing them away is a sin  :--

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20884 on: December 08, 2018, 10:08:14 pm »

mnem
Yes it was the one, and that idea is not as daft as it sounds either, it would thoroughly clean it on a low temperature setting if anything that might be damaged was removed first, I've done that before.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20885 on: December 08, 2018, 10:10:17 pm »
   Before, literally when picked up:

Blasphemer!  ;)   What... did you just drop by to pee in our cornflakes?  :-DD

mnem
 :bullshit:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #20886 on: December 08, 2018, 10:10:22 pm »
Sir, I'm going to need you to step out of the thread, and hand over your TEA card. Don't make this harder than it needs to be.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #20887 on: December 08, 2018, 10:11:35 pm »
Ok insides and top cleaned. Sides and front panel to do. Insides were pretty nasty before cleaning. Some more HP pr0n:

As always, nice score and you suck!  :P :P :-DD :-DD :-+

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #20888 on: December 08, 2018, 10:12:22 pm »
Yeah that's the one  :-DD

I probably could have sorted it easy enough by desoldering the transformer and hitting it with a wire brush and some shellac. But I couldn't be arsed by then!

Perhaps surprisingly they're better than a lot of the modern ones because they are old. Huh? Well the new ones i.e. E36xx etc tend to have quite a bit of noise on the outputs due to the digital panel meters. Same with the Thurlby ones. No one seems to notice this because the noise immunity is pretty good on most circuits. That is until you start playing around with lots of high gain RF amplifiers like in receivers. These are second only to batteries for quietness.

Throwing them away is a sin  :--
Even if they didn't have such favourable noise specifications, the output range on them always comes in handy.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20889 on: December 08, 2018, 10:13:28 pm »

Yep updated earlier post with that picture too.

Decided I've seen Thor enough times and did the calibration. It was completely off and drifting all over the place. Some scratching of the head resulted in the metering switch being the culprit as the output was not drifting. Quick squirt of switch cleaner and all good. Works absolutely perfectly. Me happy.

HP seem to make kit that holds the calibration really well, so you only had to use switch cleaner to get it back into calibration then, thats for me is a winner all round.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline lazarusr

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #20890 on: December 08, 2018, 10:15:40 pm »
We (I) won't hold it against you that you are an attorney even though I have a personal disdain for that profession due to my experiences in the New York State Family Court System.

I can and have turned my hand to most things in law. But I give family law a very wide berth indeed. Sorry it didn't end well for you.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #20891 on: December 08, 2018, 10:21:10 pm »
Sir, I'm going to need you to step out of the thread, and hand over your TEA card. Don't make this harder than it needs to be.

That was known as a "Hit and run". He better keep running.  :scared:

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20892 on: December 08, 2018, 10:25:41 pm »

mnem
Yes it was the one, and that idea is not as daft as it sounds either, it would thoroughly clean it on a low temperature setting if anything that might be damaged was removed first, I've done that before.

Yeah, I know... I used to keep a dishwasher in the shop for TV & VCR PCBs; afterwards I would blow the switches & pots, etc out with compressed air and let them sit in the Florida sun or on the dash of my service truck for an afternoon. Amazing how much havoc a little moisture combined with critter fur & dust can cause, easily removed with a quick run through the machine; and then there's the inevitable roach bombs.  :palm:

mnem
*As crazy as it seems*

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #20893 on: December 08, 2018, 10:27:28 pm »
We (I) won't hold it against you that you are an attorney even though I have a personal disdain for that profession due to my experiences in the New York State Family Court System.

I can and have turned my hand to most things in law. But I give family law a very wide berth indeed. Sorry it didn't end well for you.

Nearly 25 years later I still find it hard to sit comfortably.  :o  But good for you that you stay away from family law.  :-+

Offline blacksheeplogic

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20894 on: December 08, 2018, 10:49:09 pm »

Not at all, there comes a point when you have look at what you have and decide if it is needed. I moved from the US back to NZ and container space is expensive. I did keep some equipment just because.... but really sometimes I feel people over collect and there is nothing special about these. I do regret having parted with some of my gear, but really, I'm living without it just fine.

Anyway just my 2c, I do enjoy reading this thread, sometime when I have time I will post some of my gear.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #20895 on: December 08, 2018, 10:51:40 pm »

Not at all, there comes a point when you have look at what you have and decide if it is needed. I moved from the US back to NZ and container space is expensive. I did keep some equipment just because.... but really sometimes I feel people over collect and there is nothing special about these. I do regret having parted with some of my gear, but really, I'm living without it just fine.

Anyway just my 2c, I do enjoy reading this thread, sometime when I have time I will post some of my gear.

If you post up some gear you are forgiven.  :-+

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #20896 on: December 08, 2018, 10:59:25 pm »

It's not really about saying goodbye to some of your gear. That's understandable. It's about having a finite supply of older equipment and throwing them away. If they were serviceable, they were of value to plenty of folks out there.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20897 on: December 08, 2018, 11:26:21 pm »
Yeah the old stuff was valuable. I worked for a large defence contractor many years ago and when they purged the kit, anything that wasn't completely trashed disappeared in the time it took me from hearing about it to getting to the other side of the building. It got to the point the engineering teams would get in early so they could park their cars close to the goods bay doors if there was a rumor round. As I was considerably younger than most of them, I suspect I'll probably end up with it anyway via ebay  :-DD

One of those 6236Bs would never have even made it out of the door.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20898 on: December 09, 2018, 12:01:57 am »
Banggood Strikes Again...

300-600mm M2 leadscrew for 3DP    4mm Banana Plugs

Parts ordered back on Oct 18 for my test-lead fabbing venture have FINALLY arrived; as usual with Bang-em-Good, a mixed bag. Literally. Aside from the abysmal delivery time (Seriously USPS - 18 days from Rochester NY to Houston? What did I do to piss you off?), and the fact the stuff was shipped from the depths of China in a freaking poly film bag.... amazingly, it all arrived intact.  |O

The leadscrews are one of the last bits I'm pulling together to do a 1:4 layer height/dual Z mod on my Tevo Tornado; 600mm x 2mm pitch leadscrews to replace the single 550mm x 8mm pitch lead that came stock. Zero-Lash rod nuts, G2 sprockets and self-centering couplers arrived a couple weeks ago; now all I have to do is fab up bearings/mounts and the modding can begin.

The leadscrews are actually pretty amazing quality, especially for $10 each; stainless steel with decent finish and somehow they actually arrived still straight, and very smooth with very little backlash in the included nuts. I'm not even sure I'll need the zero-lash nuts, especially for the amount of gravity preload in this application.

The 4mm banana plugs however... I was pleased to find this classic solder & assemble design still available, but what was delivered is quite a disappointment. Clearly they did not come from the same source as the photos, which show decent CNC-machined parts. What arrived was the cheap-cheap cast parts, and QC is pretty craptacular. I was able to tack-solder the end of the radial spring so they will make good contact; but without that mod, they're worthless and just flop around loose inside the meter socket.  :--

I'll post pics once my order of NOS Oldaker leads from eBay arrives and I can make up some leads for the 3478A with these ends. We'll see if what arrives is still okay or rotted all to hell; I got 'em for a $10 "Make Offer", so hopefully at least some of them will still be usable.

Welp, SWMBO is home and its dinnertime...

mnem
Mmmm.... brisket.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 12:13:06 am by mnementh »

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #20899 on: December 09, 2018, 12:10:57 am »
The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

I was using this coax for some testing and noticed it seemed to be a little intermittent, so I had put it aside a few weeks ago. I don't remember where or when I got it but I've had it a long time. This evening I decided to cut it open and see what the deal was (I expected shoddy workmanship).

My prediction was rewarded (yay me!). The bad crimp is shown at the top, and a proper unused new crimp connector at the bottom. After I trimmed into the plastic glob holding it all together - the cable pulled right out of the crimped connector as if no pressure at all was holding it - either the inner conductor crimp or the outer.

So what do we see here? Oh yes - we have the shield crappily folded over and crimped not to an inner metal sleeve (as can be seen in the new crimp connector) - but to the plastic jacket!

So beware all ye who buy cheap materials - you get what you pay for.

Note: Check the label on the cable.  :popcorn:
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 01:17:02 am by xrunner »
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf