Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14562801 times)

DC1MC, Vince and 23 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #21175 on: December 14, 2018, 11:56:43 pm »
Do managers and money always win against EE good common sense? It's a sad world.

So you are telling my that Lenovo is stuffing a single gskill F4-2400C16S-16GRS in their P51 kick ass workstations? Interesting. Regarding the configuration the Lenovo community tells to populate both channel (10-15% speed increase)  :-// I will test and find out when the 16GB stick comes.

in order to optimize memory performance so that it operates in "dual channel" mode, you need to have matched pairs of memory sticks installed.  If you have just one stick of the required pair your memory will operate in the less-than-optimal "single channel" mode

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/Memory-configuration-for-P51/td-p/3773472

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/ThinkPad-P51-RAM-question-regarding-RAM-slots/m-p/3768001

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/Do-I-need-to-install-RAM-in-pairs/m-p/3417561#M62410
I could've toldja the same. It came that way from the factory; not some idiot user. Lenovo is made in the same factories as the RAM they put in it. Of course it's cheapest for them to buy one SODIMM vs 2 EVERY TIME.   :-+  EDIT: I've bought like a dozen off-lease Lenovo laptops recently, (3 for myself) and they ALL have a single SODIMM and an empty slot.

Things change. Do your research before you buy.
;)

In other words, RTFM.  :-DD

DDR3 & up are all async by default per SPD anyways for DOS boxes (because at this level, they're STILL DOS boxes with MicroSuck's abysmal memory management), even if you populate both slots. Even if you set the RAM to sync mode manually you don't get any real improvement, as the RAM will self-config per the SPD tables so it runs slower to ensure stability.

The only way to get any real benefit from "Dual Channel" mode now in consumer hardware is to do the gamers' OCD memory tweaking schizz; then you have to beat on it for hours...sometimes days... to get the timing and voltage just right. Then, 6 months or a year later, it all blows up and you have to do it again because your timing is so tight and the actual latency or refresh needs drifts as the RAM ages.  :palm:

[EDITED to reduce unwarranted aggro tone]  :-[

That's not exactly a good example; The G51 is NOT "consumer hardware"; it is "High-Performance" hardware with a premium pricetag. At that price point, they WILL contract with a third party memory supplier (like ASUS used to do with MUSHKIN) to select recommended RAM configurations where they CAN get the full benefit of dual channel architecture in synchronous mode, and the firmware will come "pre-tweaked" with timing profiles custom-geared to that RAM.

All the Lenovos I bought recently have SK Hynix RAM in them, so clearly Lenovo favors them. GSkill is a Hynix channel partner, so it's not a big shock that they went back up their supply chain to buy from them for their "Commercial" class machines.

All the crap you heard repeated in the chatrooms is either old knowledge that gets passed on ad nauseum or is a simple case of "The 11th commandment: Thou shalt cover thine own arse."

Imagine if you will, one of these forum techs trying to explain what I just explained above to the average yoobToober. They're going to either argue "this is what I heard from Bran McMuffin on MuffBerger's Mystery Gamerz Network" type bullshit until they get kickbanned, and/or they're going to go on yoobToob with screenshots and shitpost your brand til doomsday.  |O

And even though the fact is that defaulting to async mode is entirely due to Channel Partner interdependence between MicroSpank and Intel, there is not a damned thing the manufacturer can undo unless they want to open a whole can of "Helldesk agents pulling their hair out" worms with every prepubescent yo-yo who wants to max out their RAM and calling to bitch when their computer goes psycho because they know jack-shit about RAM timing.

They DAMN SURE aren't going to do any of that crap with any of their $700-1400/copy Edu-Services and Corporate-monkey machines; they're going to make them as cheap as they can and as low-hassle as they can, so that means sticking with the "Safe Defaults" given them by... you guessed it... Intel and M$. Because as far as they're concerned, it's still MicroSuck's world and WE just LIVE in it.

Since M$ STILL can't figure out out to make anything that isn't just a teetering inverted pyramid of layer of decades-old-shit upon layer of decades-old-shit, their OS STILL doesn't know how to actually USE more than 4GB of RAM, unless it's a hemorrhaging memory leak. THAT they've perfected to an art form.  :-DD  I've had 16GB of RAM in my daily driver for a effing DECADE. The OS needs 2GB MAX... WHY THE FLUPP do I even NEED a swapfile when I NEVER have less than 8GB free?* Of course... that's where they keep all the "Windoze-as-a-Service" goodness...  ::)

(*This is a rhetorical question, BTW; I understand the reasons for their continued dependence on the swapfile, but I still think it's all lazy-ass excuses for not building proper memory management that doesn't spray explosive diarrhea every time anything unexpected happens. Like, say, user input)

So Lenovo ships these laptops with one empty slot, and unless you just have a need to complain about something, you should realize they did you a favor: You don't need to buy your RAM in pairs when you upgrade, you can just buy another of what's in there. And because when we buy these machines they are usually off-lease, there are OODLES of the same part # RAM dirt cheap on fleaBay so you CAN have a matched pair for best results, and it costs you even LESS.

It really IS a win-win. You know, as long as you bother to take a look and see what's in there before you buy. ;)

mnem
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 12:40:23 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21176 on: December 15, 2018, 12:08:35 am »
The input line filter came in for the hp 8904A Multifunction Synthesizer. The original Schaffner part is not available now.

The old and new parts are - Old: Schaffner FN 326B-3/01 (3 Amp)   New: CorCom 6EF2F (6 Amp)

Anyway, pretty straightforward to replace. I chose to pull the power supply board to make the job easier. Everything fit perfectly and no issues encountered.

Will post a square wave comparison to modern day equipment in a little while ... for your enjoyment  :popcorn:

Take that Schaffner unit out back and drive a iron stake through its heart, then pulverize the remains with a 6-lb hand maul. Use the cross-peen end to tenderize it first. ;)   If what remains is too thick to slip under the back door,  you need to beat on it some more before it's "truly and sincerely dead".  :-DD

mnem
Burn what remains after that, and beat the ashes with a hammer too... take NO chances.  >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #21177 on: December 15, 2018, 12:09:18 am »
After having nightmares and being chased by the crusty solder monster it doesn't look quite as bad over a coffee this morning. Last night I was just overwhelmed by how bad that section is.

Not bad soldering on IC's it turns out they were actually the back end of the range switches. Loose loops of shielding on the 5kV are almost 10mm away from the hot side so 'perfectly safe'. Only two strands don't seem to be soldered in with the rest to the pad so the chances of getting a short aren't really that high :palm:

Second coffee then break out the desoldering gear for the crusty stuff. Then look at not use  the 'Cat3' probes supplied and test ...

Nice bench @med6753 just needs to get that lived in look now.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #21178 on: December 15, 2018, 12:17:48 am »
Thanks mnementh to enlight me, got it (I hope). I wish one day to write in English like you, it was hard for me to follow. Surgerying a Yoga S1 right now, here things are easy 4GB RAM soldered on the board. Upgrade to 8GB maybe possible with hotair and some chips, but it will not happen in my case...

Now I will read your post again, every time I discover something new.

Hope I have not irritated you, if yes I am sorry.
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21179 on: December 15, 2018, 12:18:56 am »
Just looked at the P51 spec sheet. How the flip does that thing last more than 2 minutes on a battery?!?
The battery is there so you can safely unplugged it and run to the next wall socket without turning it off...

No, the battery is there so you can run it off an 8.5A power pack when surge current demands mean it really should have a 14A one. And to ensure that when either battery or charger die due to old age & infirmity, there is a collateral catastrophic failure in the laptop itself. ;)

mnem
Lowest. Common. Denominator. *~KA-CHING!!!~*

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21180 on: December 15, 2018, 12:28:17 am »
Thanks mnementh to enlight me, got it (I hope). I wish one day to write in English like you, it was hard for me to follow. Surgerying a Yoga S1 right now, here things are easy 4GB RAM soldered on the board. Upgrade to 8GB maybe possible with hotair and some chips, but it will not happen in my case...

Now I will read your post again, every time I discover something new.

Hope I have not irritated you, if yes I am sorry.

Fuck. Now I feel like a total schmoo.  :-[  Maybe I should've waited until AFTER I pooped to respond to your post...   :-DD

Sorry for forgetting the language barrier and unloading on you as if you were the typical "average yoobToober" I was talking about; I should know by now that MOST of the time the folks in here actually do know a fair bit more than that and any perceived obtuseness is very likely due to the medium. :palm:

I'm working on the post right now to crank down the aggro level... please be patient.

mnem

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21181 on: December 15, 2018, 12:43:27 am »
There... go back and scope it out now. Now the only aggro is directed at the M$/Intel cabal, which is as it should be. ;)

mnem
*Time to make some Mac & Cheese and reflect on the day*
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 01:16:13 am by mnementh »

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21182 on: December 15, 2018, 01:29:13 am »
Instead of Mac and cheese try making yourself traditional Spaghetti Carbonara https://www.taste.com.au/recipes/best-spaghetti-carbonara/e121ffdc-2285-4798-b515-3860d1942eb1 just use PROPER CHEESE  :-DD (subbing Bacon for the Pancetta is acceptable because BACON)

So lazy and poor technique manual soldering is the problem. The holes the board designer put there were obviously 'speed holes' and don't serve any purpose  :palm:

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #21183 on: December 15, 2018, 01:46:31 am »
Take that Schaffner unit out back and drive a iron stake through its heart, then pulverize the remains with a 6-lb hand maul. Use the cross-peen end to tenderize it first. ;)   If what remains is too thick to slip under the back door,  you need to beat on it some more before it's "truly and sincerely dead".  :-DD

mnem
Burn what remains after that, and beat the ashes with a hammer too... take NO chances.  >:D

Give me till the weekend ... should have pics.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline blacksheeplogic

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21184 on: December 15, 2018, 02:47:51 am »
I mentioned in my last post I would post something of mine and sometime ago I got rid of most of my old gear but this old bit of test gear of mine I could not part with. This dates back to the 1980 - I got it used many years ago when I needed one.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #21185 on: December 15, 2018, 02:56:36 am »
Oh that's cool. Couldn't find a whole lot on it. I guess it must have done RS-232 or what?

I know it's STOPPED because that's what it says with the beautiful display.  :)
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21186 on: December 15, 2018, 03:07:45 am »
That's a DCE/DTE emulator, right? So you can troubleshoot right in the phone room between the mainframe and remote terminals on the OLD IBM stuff?

I know I've seen it before; back in the days of WYSE, etc...

Instead of Mac and cheese try making yourself traditional Spaghetti Carbonara https://www.taste.com.au/recipes/best-spaghetti-carbonara/e121ffdc-2285-4798-b515-3860d1942eb1 just use PROPER CHEESE  :-DD (subbing Bacon for the Pancetta is acceptable because BACON)

So lazy and poor technique manual soldering is the problem. The holes the board designer put there were obviously 'speed holes' and don't serve any purpose  :palm:

Well, the long leg on the shield is probably to allow enough distance to core insulator that poor soldering technique doesn't become a melty mess. Someone with good, practiced "hot & quick" technique could probably cut that length in half or less without risking damage to the core insulator while keeping the cable more where it should be in general.

[EDIT]  It looks like the original intent was that the cable would be stripped back just right so that the twisted together shield strands and the core would align right over the holes, then pulled through and soldered on the other side to make it a tidy connection and reduce the possibility of melting the core insulator.

Still not entirely sanguine about the use of that stuff in the first place, though.  :-\

You evil, evil man!!!  >:D I LOVE spaghetti carbonara... and yes, I do cheat with bacon (sometimes frizzled ham) and sometimes I go over to the alfredo side with parmesan and sour cream.  ;)

Alas, I'm fresh back on the Keto after Thanksgiving, and its gonna be a while before I have a day off. The Mac & Cheese is for the wee beasties, as they love it and I can still resist that particular temptation. Though one of my other guilty pleasures is leftover Mac & Cheese fried in the fat from/along with breakfast sausage links. Maple-Brown Sugar is my favorite.  :-+

mnem

Give me till the weekend ... should have pics.

I await your display of Widlaresque carnage with bated dragon breath. ;)

mnem
*Now pwned by two small children*

« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 03:14:09 am by mnementh »

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21187 on: December 15, 2018, 03:22:44 am »

Well, the long leg on the shield is probably to allow enough distance to core insulator that poor soldering technique doesn't become a melty mess. Someone with good, practiced "hot & quick" technique could probably cut that length in half or less without risking damage to the core insulator while keeping the cable more where it should be in general.

[EDIT]  It looks like the original intent was that the cable would be stripped back just right so that the twisted together shield strands and the core would align right over the holes, then pulled through and soldered on the other side to make it a tidy connection and reduce the possibility of melting the core insulator.

Still not entirely sanguine about the use of that stuff in the first place, though.  :-\

Saw some such crap about KETO  :wtf: latest fad diet must look at so I can laugh about it with knowledge  :-DD Want to lose weight energy in < energy out (not me at present I am on the gain)

I need to look for some decent cable for a few bits on the 740B and to make the other test box I don't have so the Coax is working for now but a change will happen. Resoldered Coax through the speed holes, Tested, smoke remained where it should be and no sparks were heard and readings on the display make sense.  8)

edit: 2 minute read on KETO  Bacon and Eggs for Lunch with HP Sauce I think :bullshit:  :-DD
https://theoutline.com/post/6133/the-keto-diet-is-a-recipe-for-disaster?zd=1&zi=agtxghyy
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 03:33:57 am by beanflying »

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21188 on: December 15, 2018, 05:23:22 am »
So B&E was to hard to arrange but @mnementh you know you want to

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21189 on: December 15, 2018, 05:34:50 am »
The "crap" you heard is just that... CRAP. From uninformed people who don't know jack-shit about diet, or who want to sell you on THEIR diet.

The Keto diet evolved from the Hypoglycemic Diet, a REAL doctor developed diet for people with hypoglycemia which is what I've been on for over a decade as I've been borderline hypoglycemic since my teens. In order to keep from overproducing insulin, you eat very little carbs to trigger it. Your body goes into ketosis, and excess fat is burned.

It is ACTUALLY how the human body is designed to work; we are hunter/gatherer omnivores in the same way as bears. In the summer when fruits and vegetables are plentiful you pack it in, add 20-40 lbs, then during the winter, when the only food is protein, your body shift states and you burn fat for energy. in this state, the fat you consume with meat is burned as fuel or eliminated in your pee. What's wrong with us is that we constantly eat both carbs and fatty stuff all the time, along with cooked grains we were never designed to eat. That's why obesity is an epidemic; all the food average people can afford to eat without cooking from scratch is a little bit of fatty meat and a whole mess of sugars and grain fillers. Most of us have to do the work of 2 jobs for one paycheck, and the one thing we don't have is TIME, so we live on fast food; even our sit-down meals are stuff that can be prepared in 15-30 minutes by some short order cook. The menus at the top 50 food chains are literally a recipe for lipid production.

I didn't have a problem eating whatever I wanted until I blew out my back in my early 30s; I was always active and literally lived outdoors and in the woods. Then the combination of limited mobility and literally having to ration my "verticalness" to accomplish the tasks that had to be done drastically reduced my metabolism. Then a few years ago, I suffered several years of severe depression both during my mother's care and after she died of cancer, and here I am. Morbidly obese, hypoglycemic, (in other words, not diabetic yet, but on the waiting list) and trying desperately to lose the weight AND not be sick all the time due to yo-yo-ing blood sugar/insulin levels.

So yeah, "Keto" is just another name for a known effective diet, and one I know from experience is the only one I can lose weight on; because it's how I already have to eat to not be sick all the time.

Cheers,

mnem
*In Ketosis*
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 05:48:58 am by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21190 on: December 15, 2018, 05:41:47 am »
   So B&E was to hard to arrange but @mnementh you know you want to

LOL... Descended from welsh, poles and czechs, my tendency is to be a breaditarian and potatoholic anyways.

And you've got toasted sesame seeds... Gahhhh... *Nom Nom Nom*

mnem
Cyber-carbs are still guilt-free!!!  :-DD

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21191 on: December 15, 2018, 06:01:45 am »
Unfortunately diets generally fail as a means of weight control. Controlling level of insulin/sugars is a different matter and there is a reason for it more than attempted weight loss by fad.

I have fairly badly compacted discs around L3 and 4 and the best advice I got was stop being a 120kg (260lb) 33 year old fatty before you have a Diabetic issue. I dropped a chunk by getting out of Melbourne and leaving stress bullshit work/life balance and fast food breakfast and lunches behind and started walking the beach. Getting under 100kg and staying there happened on the pushbike down to 85kg a few years later. But I couldn't have done the bike at 120kg my back would have clapped out. Back at the 85kg mark I was back able to go for a jog again. So keep at it and walk or swim if you can.

I lost my Dad 6 years ago after 40 years of Dialysis and toward the end I was doing a chunk for him and currently I am gaining again due to lack of time away from the house due to Mum this time so yep I get feeling like stuff on a stick but staying mentally busy helps and when it doesn't there is Scotch or Beer.

Stick at it in spite of me ribbing cheese and Salaming you  ;)

Offline Housedad

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21192 on: December 15, 2018, 06:10:02 am »
Ay yeah it was really close - New Jersey so not far from JFK at all. Need to get myself out there one day for a few days - it's on the bucket list :)

Edit: the stupid bit is I actually live close enough to the Heathrow approach that you can see the half frozen people clinging onto the landing gear as the planes fly over my house. But it'll take 5 days for it to get from Heathrow to here and probably go via some warehouse 200 miles away.  :palm:

Edit 2: so I hit Google maps and drop the pin randomly in NJ then hit street view and what do I land on? Someone letting their dog piss up a mail box  :palm:

I've been desperately wanting to get of New Jersey since 1976 when My family moved here.  It sucks living here in many ways.  Then again, I am across the river from philly, and that means that I live dead center in the Megalopolis.  Anything your heart desires is within a 2 hour drive, and 95% of what you desire is within 30 minutes max. 

Still not worth dealing with the NJ governments, taxes, and cost of living.  Our gun laws are horrible compared to the rest of the US.  THAT is probably my number one reason for wanting out of this place.  Wife has family here and she doesn't want to leave her 77 YO dad.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 06:27:26 am by Housedad »
At least I'm still older than my test equipment

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #21193 on: December 15, 2018, 07:13:00 am »
... hypoglycemic, (in other words, not diabetic yet, but on the waiting list)

Not meaning to be picky - but do you mean hyperglycemic?  The only reason I mention this is that hypoglycemic is the exact opposite. The prefix hypo means below normal, under.  The prefix hyper means above, beyond, excessive.

This is more than spelling police because as I read your post, I am seeing a meaning that doesn't fit.  I've had sufficient exposure to have the difference between the two clearly registered.  (Fortunately, not for myself ..... yet.)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 07:14:40 am by Brumby »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #21194 on: December 15, 2018, 07:18:31 am »
To a diabetic like me carbs/sugars are the devil. This talk of “Keto” isn't bullshit, it's reality. While I don't consider myself on a Keto diet I do strictly limit my carb intake. A rule of thumb given to me by my doctor is no more than 30 grams of carbs/meal. With today's processed foods do you know how little that is? Real product labels, it's damn small.

Since being diagnosed diabetic approx 5 years ago I've made the permanent change in diet and I've had dramatic results. With the help of the oral medication Metforman (no insulin injections) I've lowered my A1C from nearly 8 to 6.3 to 6.5. But the biggest contributor to the lower A1C has been my weight. I'm just under 6 feet tall. 5 years ago I was nearly 210 pounds (95 kg or 15 stone). While not obese that certainly ain't skinny. It took me nearly a year but I lowered my weight to a normal level between 170 – 175 pounds (79 kg or 12.5 stone) and I've kept it there ever since. It takes massive amounts of discipline to do this because we are surrounded by junk food and especially this time of year. Which is why it's “Humbug” for the Holidays and I'm glad when it's over.   
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21195 on: December 15, 2018, 07:44:09 am »
... hypoglycemic, (in other words, not diabetic yet, but on the waiting list)

Not meaning to be picky - but do you mean hyperglycemic?  The only reason I mention this is that hypoglycemic is the exact opposite. The prefix hypo means below normal, under.  The prefix hyper means above, beyond, excessive.

This is more than spelling police because as I read your post, I am seeing a meaning that doesn't fit.  I've had sufficient exposure to have the difference between the two clearly registered.  (Fortunately, not for myself ..... yet.)

No... you're talking about short-term condition with respect to diabetes vs long-term ailment. Long-term, being a hypoglycemic means you produce an excess of insulin for the sugar released into your bloodstream. Your body can only produce so much insulin in a lifetime; once you use up that capacity, you become a diabetic dependent upon artificial sources of insulin.

Most long-term hypoglycemics develop AOD. Quid-pro-quo; not a diabetic yet, but on the waiting list. At least this is how it was explained to me by my mother, a retired RN.

mnem
*Jonesin' for a Death By Chocolate Brownie now*

PPS: No, that irony is not lost on me.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 07:48:02 am by mnementh »

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21196 on: December 15, 2018, 07:54:04 am »
Like, 'South Beach', 'Atkins', 'Keto', etc. jargonistic names for a medically required diet don't do it any favours as it sounds like just you are just another Fad follower when for you  it is what your body actually needs to keep chemically balanced. The current Fad diet of the year will be replaced by the next and then the next.... and you will still be on the diet your body needs.

My Dad spent over 40 years on a very strict low potassium, low sodium diet (never had a Hollywood name ;) ) but still snuck in an occasional 1/2 a Banana or a few squares of Chocolate. Sometimes he needed a little breach to help stay sane (whatever that is). The downside for renal patients is you do your diet wrong and or add smoking to the mix you DO get Diabetes to go with your non functional kidneys then are really in the poo.

I haven't done any of the chainstore junk foods for years in spite of their healthy marketing it isn't really food. I am lucky I like to cook. Tomorrow Night is Spicy Yogurt marinated Deep Fried Chicken and Chips my fortnightly home cooked junk food treat :)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21197 on: December 15, 2018, 08:14:26 am »
Yeah, but I have a life.

I don't have time to explain to every "look like a tree full of owls" what I mean when I say "Hypoglycemic diet". If I say "I can't have all those carbs, I'm on Keto." they know what's important, and I can get on with my life. Its nobody's business anyways that I'm trying to KEEP from becoming a diabetic any sooner than I have to.  :palm:

To a diabetic like me carbs/sugars are the devil. This talk of “Keto” isn't bullshit, it's reality. While I don't consider myself on a Keto diet I do strictly limit my carb intake. A rule of thumb given to me by my doctor is no more than 30 grams of carbs/meal. With today's processed foods do you know how little that is? Real product labels, it's damn small.

Since being diagnosed diabetic approx 5 years ago I've made the permanent change in diet and I've had dramatic results. With the help of the oral medication Metforman (no insulin injections) I've lowered my A1C from nearly 8 to 6.3 to 6.5. But the biggest contributor to the lower A1C has been my weight. I'm just under 6 feet tall. 5 years ago I was nearly 210 pounds (95 kg or 15 stone). While not obese that certainly ain't skinny. It took me nearly a year but I lowered my weight to a normal level between 170 – 175 pounds (79 kg or 12.5 stone) and I've kept it there ever since. It takes massive amounts of discipline to do this because we are surrounded by junk food and especially this time of year. Which is why it's “Humbug” for the Holidays and I'm glad when it's over.   

A loose Keto diet, which dies still work (but slower) if you're as overweight as I am, is 30 grams/day. A "Quick-loss" Keto diet (Atkins, for example) will start you out VERY restrictive... 10 grams or so a day... for the first couple weeks to get you into a well-defined ketosis. Then you can add more fibrous veggies, maybe even a few bite of fruit, for a 20gram/day regimen.

As you say, it's damned hard. You get rid of all starches, sugars, milk, all grains, pasta, breads, corn, beans, fruits etc and you are limited in vegetables to those high-ish in fiber; mostly salad greens, green beans, etc. And absolutely NO TUBERS of any sort either.

I eat 100 grams of lettuce a day. Half a can of green beans almost every day. Every few days I eat half a can of corn to keep me regular or I get headaches. I live mostly on very carefully selected lunch-meats and cheeses, eggs, fresh cooked meats and cottage cheese. For a treat I'll have a few cherry tomatoes and cream cheese. And lots of artificially sweetened Ice Tea, and pig chips with sour cream when I need a chip-oid snack. All of these except fresh cooked meats and eggs have SOME few carbs, which MUST Be counted. There are a few lunch-meats and sausages I can treat as 0 carbs too.

mnem
Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21198 on: December 15, 2018, 08:21:06 am »
In Other News...

Currently on the bench...      Next up in the repair que...   

mnem
I'm gonna leave milk and cookies for Santa on it!  >:D

Back together; crisp, bright new screens and battery:   Busted parts epoxied, will reassemble in the AM:

mnem
What? I'm still here?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 08:23:16 am by mnementh »

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #21199 on: December 15, 2018, 10:08:40 am »
No... you're talking about short-term condition with respect to diabetes vs long-term ailment. Long-term, being a hypoglycemic means you produce an excess of insulin for the sugar released into your bloodstream. Your body can only produce so much insulin in a lifetime; once you use up that capacity, you become a diabetic dependent upon artificial sources of insulin.

Most long-term hypoglycemics develop AOD. Quid-pro-quo; not a diabetic yet, but on the waiting list. At least this is how it was explained to me by my mother, a retired RN.

Ah.  My apologies.

That sucks.  It's like waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf