Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14559072 times)

TERRA Operative, K0ELB, Vince and 28 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #23150 on: January 20, 2019, 04:41:31 am »
I was not aware of that feature in Win10. Good to know. B...........

The term 'feature' need italics when you refer to Windoze 10 doing things all by itself including auto updating and rebooting without permission |O

Automatically doing anything other than deleting temp files is a major nono from any user accessible directory. Fortunately it seems the 'feature' is 'currently' defaulted to off until 'they' decide they know better.  :horse:
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Carl_Smith

• Frequent Contributor
    • MegaMicroWatt - Carl Smith's Blog
« Reply #23151 on: January 20, 2019, 05:48:08 am »
I was not aware of that feature in Win10. Good to know. But if you practice good file management it shouldn't be an issue. I DON'T keep stuff in the download folder. I file it appropriately or delete it if isn't needed. And since you specifically mention downloaded manuals I have a folder called "Manuals" and even 3 sub folders for the type of manual as shown in the attachment. It ain't hard to do and the right manual is easy to find.

I do practice file management.  Not sure I would call it good though.  :)  But I do have folders and sort things into the folders.  It's just that I leave all the folders in the downloads folder.  But now I'm thinking it might be time to change that and move everything to a different folder.  Like bean said, you never know when Microsoft might decide that they know better and turn that "feature" back on.

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #23152 on: January 20, 2019, 05:54:22 am »
New York.

This is all the snow we got. Radar shows it has moved out already 23:53hr (CST).

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #23153 on: January 20, 2019, 07:05:51 am »
WAKE UP T.E.A.  :wtf:

I have a clean looking Fluke 3330B Programmable DC Unit that just won't act right. The unit doesn't have a case, top or bottom plates, but I made sure to pin the limit relays down so as not to effect my tests (one top, one sneaky bastard on the bottom). I was keenly aware of them after my Fluke 335A restore.  When I power this unit up, it tries to behave, but the "OPR" relay wont engage and I get nothing on the outputs. The "OUTPUT 100V" likes to stay lit and I cannot get to trigger into OPR mode. I really want to keep and repair this unit so I wonder, if anyone awake would like to bullsh*t about potential issues. I haven't even peaked at the manual yet, because I have so much going on, that I almost want to sell it and let it be someone else's problem. BUT, then again, I really want to keep her for a programmable reference.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 07:10:52 am by Inverted18650 »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #23154 on: January 20, 2019, 07:24:40 am »
Actually, the "Downloads" folder IS where you're supposed to keep all that crap. It was my generation who started making it a default thing in our builds with the first browsers, and the intent was to keep all those stupid zips and rars with confusing as fuck names from cluttering up your normal folders. As such, the Downloads folder became the first default "Archive" folder in Windows; circa the Win '95/'98 transition.

mnem
If we save the whales, where will we keep them?

Well this boy here goes all the way back to days of DOS and Win3.1 so with the intro of Win95 and the explosion of the net I always considered the download folder as nothing more than a convenient place to find what you "downloaded". Once located you disposition it. In case of zip and rar files unpack them and if it's something you want to keep move it to it's own unique folder. If you don't need it, delete it. And keep the download folder as empty as possible. 
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 07:26:39 am by med6753 »
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #23155 on: January 20, 2019, 07:31:56 am »
I was not aware of that feature in Win10. Good to know. But if you practice good file management it shouldn't be an issue. I DON'T keep stuff in the download folder. I file it appropriately or delete it if isn't needed.
:-+ My sentiments exactly.

And since you specifically mention downloaded manuals I have a folder called "Manuals" and even 3 sub folders for the type of manual as shown in the attachment. It ain't hard to do and the right manual is easy to find.
Only 3 ?  :o
I have 53, each one for a different brand of equipment, be it TE or something else I own or have worked on.
Some have further sub folders with Tek being the biggest.
Nearly 4G of goodies that's been built up over decades and backed up ready to go onto the next PC build.  ::)
Siglent stuff of course is bigger again but in its own spot in my file tree.

Yea, my Test Equipment sub folder is quite large and perhaps I should further sub divide by brand such as Fluke, Tek, etc.

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #23156 on: January 20, 2019, 07:48:27 am »
I don't use windows 10, still rocking WIN 7 ULT and refuse to upgrade. Since I use the laptop you see in my posts, I keep all my files on an external (or two or three) and it keeps my uncluttered. Eventually I have to break ( i think they cut support or 7 end of this year) and go on to 10, but Ill hold out as long as I can. I also have a Mac Pro for trading but that is all it does. I don't let anything else happen that unit. Too much bank and money account info for me to even browse the web on it.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #23157 on: January 20, 2019, 08:46:11 am »
Extended support for Win7 supposedly ends in January 2020. This laptop is Win10 because that's what it came with. 2 other PC's running Win7 Ultimate and another laptop dual boot Win7 Home/Ubuntu 18. I found Win10 to be "OK" except for Networking. It is extremely fussy and you practically have to beat it senseless to talk to the Win7 machines on my network. But the Win7 machines gladly find it and connect. It refuses to connect to one of the Win7 machines but that Win7 machine connects fine to it's printer. Go figure. The other 2 Win7 machines it has no issues with and connects.  :-//

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #23158 on: January 20, 2019, 08:57:41 am »
Exactly why I refuse to upgrade. Hopefully withing the next 11 months they will fix the bullsh*t.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #23159 on: January 20, 2019, 09:03:09 am »
Exactly why I refuse to upgrade. Hopefully withing the next 11 months they will fix the bullsh*t.

They won't have to fix it. Because once support ends it's "tough shit" and upgrade to Win10 or take a hike.

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #23160 on: January 20, 2019, 09:04:58 am »

They won't have to fix it. Because once support ends it's "tough shit" and upgrade to Win10 or take a hike.

Very true, I really like 7 ULT, but Mac works for me as well. I was once the iDeviceGuy...lol

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23161 on: January 20, 2019, 09:08:42 am »
Windoze 7 going the way of the dodo should be just in time for them to release the new 'upgrade' to the windoze 10 fiasco :palm:
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #23162 on: January 20, 2019, 09:09:30 am »
Here's a little complaint about Windows 10.  I'll make it TEA related at the end.  :)

Take a number. I've got plenty more to pile onto that little complaint. :rant:

Win 10 has a feature called "Storage Sense" that is supposed to automatically free up space on your hard drive.  It will automatically delete old temp files, and automatically remove items in your recycle bin that are more than a month old.  These two features are fine by me.  Windows should always have been cleaning up it's old temp files and if something's been in my recycle bin for a month I am pretty sure I don't need to get it back.  There are a couple other features I don't remember the details on right now.

Yeah, temp file diarrhea is pretty bad. But, any kind of auto-deleting by Windows would make me nervous (I have a laptop with Win 10 on it). Afterall, Microsoft is rather notorious for not getting things right the first (second, third) time around.

But it seems they have added a feature that could be dangerous.

Oh, joy!

It can now be set to delete any files in your download folder after 30 days.  On my system this was not turned on but I read online that some people have found it turned on.  I heard they also added clearing the download folder as an option in the older Disk Cleanup utility.

Brilliant! Mine wasn't on by default (Storage "non-"Sense was generally disabled, too), but Microsoft is also notorious for turning things on that were previously turned off (surprise!), especially after an update. Remember the recent OneDrive file obliteration bug after the Win 10 big update? Ugh!

So if you are someone like me that keeps downloaded stuff permanently in your downloads folder you need to make sure this option is turned off in Storage Sense.  We wouldn't want Windows deleting all those test equipment manuals you have downloaded as PDFs and left in your download folder.   :)

Nice segue to TEA territory. I double checked that this "feature" won't knock my manuals and schematics Sense(less) if I fail to move them into my library of folders in time. However, now I'm considering moving all my downloads into a separate folder and pointing my browser to the new location.

The only thing I hate more than having to do work that is better suited to a computer, is when computers try too hard to be smart because they usually turn out really stupid. Grrr! :rant:

Thanks for the heads up on that, Carl.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 09:11:11 am by bitseeker »
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #23163 on: January 20, 2019, 09:21:08 am »
Yea, my Test Equipment sub folder is quite large and perhaps I should further sub divide by brand such as Fluke, Tek, etc.

Yep, mine is broken down by brand and then by model number or family. Often, manuals cover a family/series of devices or they're closely related (e.g., Keithley 236, 237, 238), so the model folder might be named 23x.

Above the brand breakdown is just general TE storage such as miscellaneous manuals that don't have enough brand representation to get their own folder, yet.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline LapTop006

• Supporter
« Reply #23164 on: January 20, 2019, 09:27:00 am »
As if I didn't already have enough reasons to abandon fleaBay altogether in favor of slAmazon...   

https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/service-and-payments/managed-payments-on-ebay.html

*blink*

This was literally why they bought PayPal in the first place, not that they really integrated it completely (at least on ebay AU) until after they'd spun it off.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #23165 on: January 20, 2019, 09:30:03 am »
As of 0400 hours this is what it looks like outside. Been snowing most of the night. Looks like about 6+ inches. Someone came through with a plow and made one pass. Temp is -7 C and no wind.

Forecast is still calling for high winds and freezing rain with ice. But with a temp of -7 C rain can't happen. We'll have to see what happens after daylight. To me so far this "storm" has been a non-event. It's winter...yep...it snows. Big deal and deal with it.  :-//

The following users thanked this post: Inverted18650

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #23166 on: January 20, 2019, 10:13:09 am »
As if I didn't already have enough reasons to abandon fleaBay altogether in favor of slAmazon...   

https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/service-and-payments/managed-payments-on-ebay.html

*blink*

This was literally why they bought PayPal in the first place, not that they really integrated it completely (at least on ebay AU) until after they'd spun it off.

FUCK! around every corner man, I swear, this shits getting old.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23167 on: January 20, 2019, 10:24:39 am »
This is because PayPal split from eBay a while back.

Not sure what the problem is. It’s basically them implementing their own payment processor because a third party one is too expensive.

At this point in time I’d like to see something else replace eBay though but for different reasons (fee gouging) but it’s difficult to get enough velocity behind it

Edit: on the subject of windows 10 I’m not hating 1809 as much as the last one. It mostly works
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 10:27:03 am by bd139 »

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #23168 on: January 20, 2019, 10:31:59 am »
This is because PayPal split from eBay a while back.

Not sure what the problem is. It’s basically them implementing their own payment processor because a third party one is too expensive.

At this point in time I’d like to see something else replace eBay though but for different reasons (fee gouging) but it’s difficult to get enough velocity behind it

Edit: on the subject of windows 10 I’m not hating 1809 as much as the last one. It mostly works

As i am hoping to sell about $6k worth of gear within the next 30 days, the rate hike will cost me abut 3.5% more
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 11:01:50 am by Inverted18650 »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23169 on: January 20, 2019, 10:42:41 am »
Gotcha. That lines up with my fee gouging comments. There is no reason they should charge at all past the final value fee and that is taking the piss already. I give anything away that doesn’t net more than £20 or profit because otherwise I’m losing money as time instead.

eBay is addicted to money because it has a monopoly and is run by a cunch of bunts. I hope Alibaba turn up and ream their assholes.

The following users thanked this post: scl, Inverted18650

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23170 on: January 20, 2019, 11:02:29 am »
Sorry but I have submitted to the bay of Evil and added to their wealth. There was a very tidy 20Meg Analogue scope I didn't need to buy but I did anyway >:D

Component Tester base.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23171 on: January 20, 2019, 11:21:43 am »
As of 0400 hours this is what it looks like outside. Been snowing most of the night. Looks like about 6+ inches. Someone came through with a plow and made one pass. Temp is -7 C and no wind.

Forecast is still calling for high winds and freezing rain with ice. But with a temp of -7 C rain can't happen. We'll have to see what happens after daylight. To me so far this "storm" has been a non-event. It's winter...yep...it snows. Big deal and deal with it.  :-//
Looks very pretty though
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #23172 on: January 20, 2019, 11:25:52 am »
this was my last eBay purchase. wasted $400 becasue I have no idea how to repair it and noone here seems to want to help.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23173 on: January 20, 2019, 11:28:12 am »
I didn't know about the new feature in windoze 10, but all of my manuals have their own folder on another drive and also backed up on 2 NAS devices. My folder is 21GB and has over 2,600 files in it and I'd be mad as hell if I lost all of those files.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #23174 on: January 20, 2019, 11:28:28 am »
Something more TEA related - a recent thread on the antique radio forum has prompted me to excavate and begin working on the ancient Electro Instruments DVM I got a few years ago.  It was basically wrapped in cardboard for shipment, and several of the stepper relays broke free and were trounced around inside, breaking a couple of wires off.  I wasn't certain where one of them was supposed to go and the manual I was able to get was not a 100% match to the instrument, so it got filed away.  A guy over there has a similar model, and was able to look inside his and confirm my guess as to the connection was correct, so now it's back on the bench getting its filter caps reformed.  I'm not sure if I'll be successful, but I figure it's worth a shot.  The first one (a 40uF-40uf dual section) seems to be coming along nicely, it's up to 300V and the leakage has been steadily dropping and is currently (no pun intended) below a half a mA.  The handbook for the Sprague Tel-Ohmike lists 1.3mA as the leakage limit for a new 40uF, 300V electrolytic, so I'm going to keep my fingers crossed.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf