Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14561240 times)

PA0PBZ, chronos42, 6h8c, factory and 25 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #24475 on: February 05, 2019, 01:34:37 am »
Got this little return loss bridge today. Works well. Looking at my 3 band fan dipole (7 - 10 - 14 MHz). VSWR can be easily looked up on a table using the return loss dB notch read off the screen. Also, since it's real-time you can easily see the effects of wind on the antenna resonance and connections. Matter of fact looks like I need to do some maintenance outside.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24476 on: February 05, 2019, 01:34:55 am »
Returning to a sad little thing sitting on my shelf....
here is the defunct HP6177B current source again - this time with photographic evidence.

It looks somewhat similar inside to the 6181B that I brought back to life about a year ago -  I really like this unit, but the schematic is mind-bending the way it is drawn.  Mine had multiple issues...

Maybe the schematic for 6181B is close enough?

What's actually wrong with the one you have?

Errr....something with the output current, I suppose? Bit unspecific, isn't it?
Fact is, I tested it nogo but I have not found the notes again yet. Late yesterday evening, a important visitor (visitrice?) made me leave my desk in haste. In this course I collapsed a pile of papers and boxes containing the poor wretch.
Returning to my desk today, I decided to first document the divergence which was at the center of a prior discussion. From here proceeding to repair, I hope.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #24477 on: February 05, 2019, 01:35:10 am »
You think you have enough diodes there chief?  :-DD

It's ok I said the special magic words "Diodeius Absorbo" and they assimilated into the diode and rectifier box for future use. I was a Scout once upon a time and 'Be Prepared' is a must when your nearest electronics shop is over 3 hours away ;)

By the looks of some of your prior work area pics, you also have the caffeine part nailed down.  :-DD

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24478 on: February 05, 2019, 01:36:27 am »
Got this little return loss bridge today. Works well. Looking at my 3 band fan dipole (7 - 10 - 14 MHz). VSWR can be easily looked up on a table using the return loss dB notch read off the screen. Also, since it's real-time you can easily see the effects of wind on the antenna resonance and connections. Matter of fact looks like I need to do some maintenance outside.

That is very cool. How much did that set you back if I might ask?

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #24479 on: February 05, 2019, 01:43:31 am »
That is very cool. How much did that set you back if I might ask?

$14 on the Ebay.  :)
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: Inverted18650, 0culus

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24480 on: February 05, 2019, 01:44:03 am »
Nice!

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #24481 on: February 05, 2019, 02:03:48 am »
You think you have enough diodes there chief?  :-DD
That's nothing....

Confession:
It was a long time ago, but Jaycar got in a bulk lot of 1N914, bandoliered and on a large wooden spool.  I asked about a price for a quantity and was given a figure I thought was a bargain - so, at that price (which I forget) I bought 2,000.  I still have several hundred of these - some of them in the one place.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #24482 on: February 05, 2019, 03:21:24 am »
That time when you tried to clean out some stuff from the junk box and had it backfire because the recipient sent you a larger volume of 'stuff'.

Thanks Tautech I think? The Boomerang bag is most apt :-DD
Yep, guilty as charged.
Coulda sent more but just dumped you a few unusual bits and values that I had bulk of.
Still got some 300+ 4.7K pots.  :o

Your stuff still hasn't arrived and as it's our NZ 'invasion' day holiday tomorrow I guess we won't before Thursday.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #24483 on: February 05, 2019, 04:20:59 am »
I have buyed that in .fr
looks now much better

Those mini scopes are so neat. I must get one, one day.

the restoration of them can be a adventure. But they need not a lot of space for a collection.

Yeah, I've seen inside a couple of them. They do look like quite the "adventure" if they're not in good condition.

Hope you find a nice 211 to complete your collection!
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24484 on: February 05, 2019, 04:26:36 am »
My "portable" mini Tek 323. Still 'works a treat' but I do need to replace the battery bank

Huh I never new Sony put their brand on Tek equipment. Neat!

That was so Tek could get into the Japanese market. Japan has very strict "protectionist" laws that prevent companies from other countries from doing business there unless they partner with a Japanese company. Hence Sony/Tek. But it never was very successful as they were competing with the likes of Hitachi.

It also seems likely that Sony benefited from the partnership but I've never seen any literature to back that up. By the time of this partnership Tek had the best CRT technology and techniques far and above anyone else. I'll bet the superior Sony Trinitron CRT has some Tek "genes" in it.

Interesting. They seem to have done a fair bit together. I've got an AFG320 two-channel AWG with Sony/Tek branding. Specs are very similar to the HP 33120A single-channel AWG.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24485 on: February 05, 2019, 04:39:36 am »
Do it. Totally worth making any necessary repairs at that price. Or it could serve as a carcass for parts for a better example!

I'm reading the manual right now. Will probably call the guy tomorrow.  :palm:

At least I don't need to pay for shipping.

Yeah, that's the main reason it's so compelling. If you have the space for it, grab it.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24486 on: February 05, 2019, 04:55:42 am »
   Ifni save me; now I have this overwhelming urge to sleeve the cabling on my modular PSU too, so all the sleeving matches.  :scared:

Ooh! Lots of big copper fins! 8)

Offline jlw

• Contributor
« Reply #24487 on: February 05, 2019, 05:33:58 am »
That 323 needs the matching 1401. And so it snowballs  :-DD

Especially when my 1401A needs work (my 323 works, after bypassing horizontal var).  The power regulator is insane and came with loose parts under the can. Yet another project that's been shelved for a while.

I don't have any of the hardware to link them together and only one power supply.  I don't think this is ever going to be portable.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #24488 on: February 05, 2019, 06:40:38 am »
If you have the space for it, grab it.
This is a sentiment that struck a chord.....

Inverted18650 has an HP 3456A that has caught my eye.  Trouble is - it's a very deep rack mount unit and won't fit graciously in my current bench setup.  I've played around with a couple of ideas, but it still ends up a cumbersome fit.  Then he offered me a special price and beanflying has added his "encouragement".  I'm getting ganged up on here!

So, what do I do?  Look at my budget (or lack thereof)...?  Confirm the space available is inadequate...?  Accede to the unspoken from SWMBO...?  No, nothing so sensible.

Instead, I look at the absurd...  Moving the printer which is to the right of my desk further right would give me more space - and I ask: Is there any way I could fit a rack frame?  Surreptitiously, I take some measurements and look up some dimensions.  The numbers are tantalisingly close - and I could probably make it fit ..... but .....    Let me rephrase that ...  BUT .....

To the right of the printer is a few inches of space claimed by SWMBO which she doesn't really use well.  Next to that is her desk.  For me to be able to fit a rack frame, I would have to claim that space and move the printer across after I have moved her desk about 2" to the right.

If I live and am still allowed in the house, I could remove my current shelf unit and fit a 15U rack frame in the combined space.  With 15U, I can reach anything from a seated position, but something taller would fit.  With that set up, I ... could ...

Wait.

Oh hell, what am I doing?   :scared:
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 06:42:10 am by Brumby »

The following users thanked this post: Inverted18650

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #24489 on: February 05, 2019, 07:13:27 am »
If you have the space for it, grab it.
This is a sentiment that struck a chord.....
Instead, I look at the absurd...  Moving the printer which is to the right of my desk further right would give me more space - and I ask: Is there any way I could fit a rack frame?  Surreptitiously, I take some measurements and look up some dimensions.  The numbers are tantalisingly close - and I could probably make it fit ..... but .....    Let me rephrase that ...  BUT .....
Wait.

Oh hell, what am I doing?   :scared:

>:D It's old school proper HP - Use it as a printer stand ;) Then realize it is to good for that and move the printer then consider the space to empty and buy more TEA for the stack  :-DD

Edit Yes I am an enabler and can handle the flack from Mrs Brumby from 1000km away  ;D
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 07:18:36 am by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #24490 on: February 05, 2019, 07:49:08 am »
The printer has to stay within reach of SWMBO.  It's the workhorse of her business.  Moving it a few inches closer to her is the ONLY up side.  Besides, terminals of the 3456A are on the right and using it as a printer stand would have the terminals too far away - and right next to someone's left elbow.

Yes I am an enabler and can handle the flack from Mrs Brumby from 1000km away  ;D
You would be out of range, but I would not .... not even at ten times that distance.

The following users thanked this post: beanflying, Kosmic

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #24491 on: February 05, 2019, 07:53:02 am »
As Tautech has gone Fishing interested if the Siglent defaults back to 10M or if it holds Gohms if you set it?
Just caught up....taken a couple of days of keeping up and 'when I have a mo'.  :phew:

The SDM3055 defaults to 10 G input impedance for the 2V range and below however it is selectable.
It's outlined in the datasheet under: Measuring Method and other Characteristics
Page 7/13
https://www.siglentamerica.com/wp-content/uploads/dlm_uploads/2017/10/SDM3055_DataSheet_DS06035-E03E.pdf
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #24492 on: February 05, 2019, 08:04:35 am »
As promised I'll describe the easy procedure I found for adjusting the attenuators quickly and easily. Let me first explain how these attenuator assemblies work and then the procedure.

Great, good work!
Safety devices hinder evolution

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #24493 on: February 05, 2019, 08:04:57 am »
Heatsink Guru advice needed. I do have a cheap and cheerful 150W load so the following won't be used at high power for extended periods just part of my home brew resistance decades.

I have had this set of 50W Resistors and heat sinks sitting around for to long unassembled. 1,2,3 & 4 Ohm for a binary 0-10  \$\Omega\$ stack. Looking for suggestions on how to arrange the stack? Should I add a fan if I am pushing the power a bit I have plenty of various types and sizes? Most of the bits will be hung together with a mix of Aluminium and a 3D printed bit for the Jacks.

10  \$\Omega\$ 50W Series, 2.5  \$\Omega\$ 100W parallel Heatsinks are in the order of 2-2.3 C/w so 30-40W/resistor is more like a maximum.

How do I stack them? Fins in or out 1x4 2x2 fan or no fan?
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #24494 on: February 05, 2019, 08:11:47 am »

Put two of them together, with the fins inside, and blow air through the resulting tunnel. Should be enough for a few 100 Watts.

Edit: For use without a fan, put the fins outside and in vertical orientation for optimum natural convection. These resistors can take quite an amount of short term overload.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 08:15:01 am by capt bullshot »
Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24495 on: February 05, 2019, 08:12:12 am »
I would stack them in a row and make a wind tunnel type arrangement with a big ass fan at one end. As the resistors aren’t equal then one will be pushing more power than the rest. Put them in descending order of heat output. That’s the “cheap and compact” option :)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #24496 on: February 05, 2019, 09:22:53 am »

I'm back, baby!!!    :-DD

Well, sortof. It's up on my workbench with my old monitor and keyboard because I didn't feel like moving the shelf so it would fit on my desk tonight; inside it the Radioactive Slime Green Tentacle Monster PSU is running everything, and I got the thing half built, but somewhere I broke the speed control for my fan and it's running at BALLZ TOODA WALLZZ speed, and when I looked into sleeving the PSU cables, I found this:  :palm:

Fuck you again, bean! You just HADDA jinx me, didncha?   ;)

I spent the time, tested 'em all; only the blarfy caps tested bad. I found that the DE-5000 DOES seem to give useful readings in-circuit a lot more often than any of my other testers, but I ran up against its max 2200-2700uf capacity several times, which was pretty annoying.

New Nichis are on the way from DigiKey; $4 +$5 shipping. Thank Ifni they FINALLY got their shit together and accept PayPal now.  :-+
 i
in the meantime I'll work on other aspects; I can still sleeve some of the data cables, and I can work on hinging that door, plus modding in the thermo and fixing that fan control might be a good idea.

Okay... I'm exhausted, gonna go pass out now.

mnem
*More than the sum of my bits*
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 12:21:45 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #24497 on: February 05, 2019, 09:35:15 am »

Heatsink Guru advice needed. I do have a cheap and cheerful 150W load so the following won't be used at high power for extended periods just part of my home brew resistance decades.

I have had this set of 50W Resistors and heat sinks sitting around for to long unassembled. 1,2,3 & 4 Ohm for a binary 0-10  \$\Omega\$ stack. Looking for suggestions on how to arrange the stack? Should I add a fan if I am pushing the power a bit I have plenty of various types and sizes? Most of the bits will be hung together with a mix of Aluminium and a 3D printed bit for the Jacks.

10  \$\Omega\$ 50W Series, 2.5  \$\Omega\$ 100W parallel Heatsinks are in the order of 2-2.3 C/w so 30-40W/resistor is more like a maximum.

I'd build it exactly as you have it laid out in your pic, only with the fins flipped to the inside, resistors on the outside flats, and a large high-volume fan blowing up the middle. Then you can use the space in the naturally forming channels for your switches and jacks.

mnem
 :=\
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24498 on: February 05, 2019, 09:36:29 am »

Seen caps like that a lot recently in power supplies. Wondering if there is a second plague.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24499 on: February 05, 2019, 09:48:22 am »

I spent the time, tested 'em all; only the blarfy caps tested bad. I found that the DE-5000 DOES seem to give useful readings in-circuit a lot more often than any of my other testers, but I ran up against its max 2200-2700uf capacity several times, which was pretty annoying.

mnem
*More than the sum of my bits*
That's one of the reasons why I opted for XJW01 LCR meter because it can go up to 10,000uF and the screen displays all the relevant information at the same time. It might look a bit ugly and be more of a small bench type meter than a handheld but was cheaper and more versatile in its ranges plus its mains powered so no pesky batteries to leak. :-+
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 11:04:16 am by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf