Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14564038 times)

wkb, Pilatus and 27 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #25825 on: February 20, 2019, 05:15:13 pm »
I love how this thread has a new topic surprise every day  :-DD

Hehe, yeah. The new meme is "new/surprising meme of the day."
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #25826 on: February 20, 2019, 05:21:05 pm »
Nice little ebay score this week.

This is tangentially related to TEA because I'm missing things made out of wood. Lots of metal and plastic but there needs to be more wood. I am going to look out for some old panel meters, rip up the FET voltmeter I built a while ago and put it in a nicely varnished wooden box with black panel and chicken head knobs, just because!

Slightly inspired by this beauty https://aa7ee.wordpress.com/2015/09/14/the-sproutie-mk-ii-hf-regen-receiver/
Nice vintage key. I'm surrounded by finely finished wood. Bench 1. Bench 2. Scope cart.  :-+

I hate to bust anybody's bubble... but I've seen that key before. I mean THAT key; CNC brass, ball bearings, "oiled mahogany" finished base and the braided copper flex. It was in one of the Asia catalog shops like bang-em-good; I assume it's a knock-off of a well-known ARRL media featured key.

I mean, who the eff cares where it was made, if the quality is there, right?

I can't find that one right now, but you'd be amazed at the keys and paddles on AliEx.  :o

mnem
 :popcorn:
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 05:23:12 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25827 on: February 20, 2019, 05:24:45 pm »
Not sure if anyone has stumbled over this or if this is one of our members but this is an excellent blog on test gear:

https://lazyelectrons.wordpress.com/

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, Specmaster, exor, Neomys Sapiens, rajeshvs

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #25828 on: February 20, 2019, 05:30:17 pm »
Not sure if anyone has stumbled over this or if this is one of our members but this is an excellent blog on test gear:

https://lazyelectrons.wordpress.com/

I didn't know he had a web page but I did stumble across some of his videos in the past. Have no idea if he's a member of the blog.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25829 on: February 20, 2019, 05:31:39 pm »
Nice little ebay score this week.

This is tangentially related to TEA because I'm missing things made out of wood. Lots of metal and plastic but there needs to be more wood. I am going to look out for some old panel meters, rip up the FET voltmeter I built a while ago and put it in a nicely varnished wooden box with black panel and chicken head knobs, just because!

Slightly inspired by this beauty https://aa7ee.wordpress.com/2015/09/14/the-sproutie-mk-ii-hf-regen-receiver/

I agree. So much metal and plastic. Don't get me wrong. I love the Art Deco/Streamline style of brushed alumin(i)um and metal knobs of Power Designs lab supplies, but some equipment wrapped in polished hardwood would certainly warm up my bench.

That receiver you linked to is a beauty!

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25830 on: February 20, 2019, 05:49:08 pm »
World wide. Slowly going out of fashion now.

I guess I missed the memo.  :-// :-DD

It's been around for a long time, but isn't often obviously labeled (except during events like Steampunk World Fair, Maker Faire, etc.). Did you ever watch the TV series, "Wild Wild West"? It's probably one of the earliest forms of steampunk in mainstream media.

Hacking old gear to make it do new things (or hybridizing it with new tech) could be considered a form of steampunk (though, probably more correctly retrofuturism or futuristic retro).

I still like it. Some of it is weird, but some is wonderfully creative.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 05:55:44 pm by bd139 »

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #25832 on: February 20, 2019, 06:40:53 pm »
but they have all the right marketing words... upcycled, man cave, steampunk and of course, not-returnable, as-is, so they must be awesome.
specialization is for insects.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25833 on: February 20, 2019, 06:48:04 pm »
Some of it is total shit though

Absolutely!

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25834 on: February 20, 2019, 06:49:53 pm »

It's been around for a long time, but isn't often obviously labeled (except during events like Steampunk World Fair, Maker Faire, etc.). Did you ever watch the TV series, "Wild Wild West"? It's probably one of the earliest forms of steampunk in mainstream media.

Hacking old gear to make it do new things (or hybridizing it with new tech) could be considered a form of steampunk (though, probably more correctly retrofuturism or futuristic retro).

I grew up on it... Artemis Gordon was one of my childhood "media father figures". Of course, as I grew up and became more cynical, Dr Miguelito Loveless not only became a more understandable, but even somewhat sympathetic character to me.  >:D

If you hated his testosterone-hosing depiction of Pappy Boyington, you should check out Conrad's "James West"; he is much more prone to self-deprecating humor and while still a raging bundle of machismo as was the fashion, he's at least somewhat endearing in his boy-scout facade.

If you can handle the "emo" romance novel overtones and serial soap opera format, Girl Genius is one of the internet's oldest running webcomics, and it is pretty much 100% SteamPunk. If you're not that artsy-fartsy, the "Hellboy" movies have good examples as well.

mnem
'Punk from way back.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 06:54:48 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25835 on: February 20, 2019, 07:04:18 pm »
I grew up on it...

Likewise...

Interestingly, I don't have anything that's characteristically steampunk. The closest thing might be having Nixies on my bench in 2019. But that's hardly unique in the TEA House.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #25836 on: February 20, 2019, 07:14:20 pm »

That could either mean that the output is wrong below a setting of -116dB or that the output never gets above -116dB. Time to get a receiver hooked up.

Random find from BD's link for @ BRUMBY just might help you sort it out just don't lose your balls :o

https://youtu.be/R2J8LTpJtEc
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 07:24:05 pm by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #25837 on: February 20, 2019, 07:22:36 pm »

Steampunk := The art of *not* making sense. Its not for people that are completely serious. But those are a bit boring, anyway.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25838 on: February 20, 2019, 07:58:48 pm »
Fucking Windoze...

I go to turn off the "Old 1055T beast" since I got my desperately-needed files off it and sent via eMail... and Winbloze gives me the old "Update and shut down" rash of shit. Another 5-25 minutes of BS before I can start swapping in the new liquid cooler.

:palm:

mnem
*Typing up another hourly invoice to that much-loathed invertebrate colony in Richmond...*

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25839 on: February 20, 2019, 08:03:10 pm »
Steampunk := The art of *not* making sense. Its not for people that are completely serious. But those are a bit boring, anyway.

It's a good thing we're not completely serious, here. :-DD

And then, there's Windoze.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #25840 on: February 20, 2019, 08:26:42 pm »
Fucking Windoze...

I go to turn off the "Old 1055T beast" since I got my desperately-needed files off it and sent via eMail... and Winbloze gives me the old "Update and shut down" rash of shit. Another 5-25 minutes of BS before I can start swapping in the new liquid cooler.

:palm:

mnem
*Typing up another hourly invoice to that much-loathed invertebrate colony in Richmond...*
Thought you were the wizz on these things ?  :-//

First boot never connected to the 'net, right you needed those files but what's wrong with a P-P connection or USB stick ?
--------------------
Sometimes overly cautious.  :)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25841 on: February 20, 2019, 09:39:03 pm »
this is the *first* 723 I have ever seen drifting downwards (after the settling period, of course). When you look at your 5 1/2 Siglent and the digits that move, maybe the meter is drifting upwards instead ?

https://electronicprojectsforfun.wordpress.com/silly-circuits/silly-circuits-a-heated-lm723-reference/lm723-long-term-stability-results/
Also, aren't you suspicious if the MM5369's oscillator-ish current makes itself felt on the output?

Nope, I have confirmed that with other DMM's. It does indeed drift downwards then settles.

Spock would say: fascinating.  :) The next question is: who made your 723, and how long did you allow it to settle ?

I don't recall who made the 723. I'll have to take it apart and look. It takes a good 30 - 45 minutes to settle down. Here's a copy of the schematic.

Hi Med,

some points to rant about (dont take it personal):

- the bias current of the 723s difference amp is not balanced. One one side, you just connected it directly to the reference, the other input comes from the divider.
- The reference should be filtered.
- Yes, you are using low tolerance resistors (0.1%, 20ppm ?). But the trimmer resistor is too large in value and probably has a much worse tempco.
- Maybe a precision trim (parallel trimmer from VOut to ground, tap connected to 723 neg. input via a high-value resistor) is better here.
  Trim range is smaller and more accurate, DC resistance can be balanced with the input resistor at the reference side.
- some prestab because of limited 723 PSRR is also in order.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25842 on: February 20, 2019, 09:54:53 pm »
Bloody chinese crap  >:(

Straight out of the bag like this  :palm:

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25843 on: February 20, 2019, 09:57:11 pm »
So I got my HP 3245A today ladies and gents. I actually got out of bed a bit earlier and opened it up, powered it up, and played with it just long enough to post a couple pics on the forum. (been depressed again and struggling) But this unit is much more than I expected. Not cheap, but damn, its so packed full of features and just the ARB GEN functionality sent my brain into happy mode.
That is a fine instrument. The only thing that put me off was when I discovered that I would not be content with aquiring ONE, as Option 001 and Option 002 are exclusive.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25844 on: February 20, 2019, 09:58:43 pm »
Bloody chinese crap  >:(

Straight out of the bag like this  :palm:
Thats a direct result of their silly plastic packing system  :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25845 on: February 20, 2019, 10:07:42 pm »
Finally got around to cleaning up my other auction score, another HP 3455A. This one is much cleaner and in better shape than my other one, which will now be relegated to parts mule. I really like these meters because (1) they are cheap (I got this one for less than $50!) (2) for boat anchors they aren't particularly heavy and (3) they stack with my other HP boat anchors.

If I remember correctly, the 3455 also has a larger display than the 3456.

Huh, I didn't know that. I think the 3456 does more things too, but I also like the simpler, straight up no nonsense functionality of the 3455. It measures DC, AC, and ohms (plus a few math functions) and does those things very well with all the controls on the front panel. Perhaps lack of current measurements is a weakness, but for the price I'm not complaining.

I  also like that this one has the dark-on-light controls. My other one is the all dark front panel and, as nice as it looks, it makes the control labels much harder to read.
So, the question to ask for anything HPAK: did they come with FEET?

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25846 on: February 20, 2019, 10:20:30 pm »
Today looks alright as I take in some caffeine but yesterday was a real bitch.........our main water pump broke, really broke.  :palm:
Castings smashed and gunna be a quite involved welding job that I really don't need right now.  :rant:
Much smaller backup pump installed.
Damn Murphy !
A little bit that and a little bit "I know I need 12" but all I can get is 10" on the SATA cables. Went to plug it into the MB, the other end broke.  |O So now i have some 18" cables in there until my 12" ones arrive and I can sleeve 'em up.

I remember in my youth, we had a jet pump in the barn freeze up; cracked right up the threading for the inlet nipple. After working the casting shut using a rosebud and the bench vise, I welded it up using 6013 rod on DC reverse. Had to do it about 3/8" at a time; weld a little, heat everything around the weld to relieve the stress, let it cool to "tsssst" hot and then weld another 3/8" or so. Got right up to the edge of the threads with my weld, then stitched back over itself for 1"; again, 3/8" at a time... but when it was done, I assembled with silicone RTV and it held water and drew up against a 22 foot head. For another 15 years.  :-+

Amazing what you'll do on a Sunday afternoon when you're faced with schlepping water for a barnfull of animals via 5 gallon buckets.

mnem
"That's what SHE said..." *Ba-Dump-BUMMP-TSSHHT!!!*
Well the busted pump was a locally made one a MacEwans H3 doing 1500gph and exactly why I won't use 5 gallon buckets.
Twas a mess, the pump head (reciprocating type) had busted off the gearing and was flogging back and forth along the pump house floor until it busted the piping and dumped 3000 gals from the full tank 300yds away into the pump house.  :palm:
Good thing the 3 phase supply and control 'trics and 'tronics are designed and engineered to cope with such an event.  ;)

A pic showing the busted off flange pieces on the floor and the (now rusted) breaks from where they used to be.
Got the cast rods needed to fix it and the welding experience required but will probably need to make a small furnace to preheat it.
Backup pump flogging way faithfully in the foreground.

Really, you leave mains cables hanging out like that, no strain relief or grommets tsk tsk :palm:
I had installations deactivated for less rotten wiring. Thus, the pump-owner in question should refrain from commenting on safety-related topics until this hovel is up to spec, electrically. Also peen and paint that poor motor. Really.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25847 on: February 20, 2019, 10:27:32 pm »
Random rant here.

I've got a good tractor analogy here which is describes the last three months of my life. Company has a perfectly good tractor that does tractor things fine. Unfortunately the tractor mechanic left and a new tractor mechanic was hired. This tractor mechanic went to the local tractor trade fair and got loads of cool ideas about how a tractor should be. Thus the first thing he did was take the working tractor and stick things to it which are trendy. Then he repainted it. Suddenly it's useless as a tractor and looks like a donk car. Management are not happy about this and hire a massive tractor consultancy in to unfuck the whole mess. This company comes in and suggests the company just buy a new tractor, sensibly. Unfortuntely after much consultancy, a list of requirements are drawn up which are unrelated to the real world and the only possible way to solve these requirements is that they buy a lot of raw materials in and hire lots of their engineers to form these materials into a perfect tractor. After a year of meetings, the design for the wheels is complete and there is a mock up for the body and over £2m has been spent and there are lots of engineers sitting around playing Solitaire because HR were competent for once. At a financial review it turns out the company isn't doing well because they haven't done any tractoring for about 2 years and all their competitors are tractoring hard because they hire their tractors hourly from Amazon. So round three they hired Amazon in, but unfortunately due to the amount of accumulated shit, unlike their competitors, that they should have tractored off over the previous two years, Amazon's monthly bill is rather ridiculously expensive, moreso over a year than building the tractor from scratch.

Where do I sit in this nightmare? Well I've been carefully repainting the original tractor in its native yellow, removing the donk car features, fixing all the rust and holes and paying two people to shovel as much shit as possible.

I'm sure cthulhu was at that trade conference warping minds.

Edit: apologies for rant again.
No reason to apologize. We can only learn from true experts in GROSSVIEH-DUNG-MANAGEMENT!

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25848 on: February 20, 2019, 10:29:19 pm »
I'm afraid that electrical installation is typical of many a farm installation I've seen in my time and to think that it is actually a water pump and yet zero thought has been implemented in its installation nor towards any form of protection against the plumbing springing a leak and spraying water all over that pump motor...water and electrics do not play nice together, its a real death trap and should be isolated forthwith and installed correctly.  :box: :rant:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25849 on: February 20, 2019, 10:38:48 pm »
Farmers are cheap arses as well. If it costs a penny they won't do it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf