Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14812742 times)

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #2600 on: October 06, 2017, 02:25:28 pm »
Most of our stuff already is :)

Unfortunately my job for the weekend involves ferrying people around because I’m the only member of the family who owns a car with more than two seats and a driving license and insurance and hasn’t been banned from driving or is medically unfit to drive and the car isn’t stolen. My daughter managed to get out of it because her foot is still bandaged up. I’m trying to persuade her to hang around for the package.

I’m secretly hoping the wheels fall off the car in the night.
You could leave the keys in the car overnight to see what happens  :P

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2601 on: October 06, 2017, 02:27:20 pm »
It’s a Fiat. Someone would just fill it up with rubbish.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #2602 on: October 06, 2017, 02:41:40 pm »
As a bonus, it'd be worth twice as much!

But seriously, I like Fiats, though certainly not every model.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2603 on: October 06, 2017, 02:42:36 pm »
... because I’m the only member of the family who owns a car with more than two seats and a driving license and insurance and hasn’t been banned from driving or is medically unfit to drive and the car isn’t stolen.

Ah, I see. Like me, you don't have in-laws, you have outlaws.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2604 on: October 06, 2017, 02:55:48 pm »
Hahaha I shall have to remember that one  :-DD

There’s nothing likeable about it. It’s like a boat: the best two days owning it are they day you get it and the day it sinks.

eBay has been VERY boring this week :(

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2605 on: October 06, 2017, 05:23:07 pm »
Most of our stuff already is :)

Unfortunately my job for the weekend involves ferrying people around because I’m the only member of the family who owns a car with more than two seats and a driving license and insurance and hasn’t been banned from driving or is medically unfit to drive and the car isn’t stolen. My daughter managed to get out of it because her foot is still bandaged up. I’m trying to persuade her to hang around for the package.

I’m secretly hoping the wheels fall off the car in the night.
Stick your address on here and maybe someone might make that happen  :popcorn:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2606 on: October 06, 2017, 05:26:01 pm »
Ha ha, I thought thats only supposed to happen to Skoda's.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2607 on: October 06, 2017, 05:34:56 pm »

You're lucky it doesn't have twin exhaust pipes. Somebody might fill it with rubbish and wheel it away.  :popcorn:

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2608 on: October 06, 2017, 06:03:46 pm »

You're lucky it doesn't have twin exhaust pipes. Somebody might fill it with rubbish and wheel it away.  :popcorn:
As it happens mine is a Skoda and it has twin exhausts but I'd like them try and wheel it away like a wheelbarrow, its a top of the range Superb and weighs in at about 1.5 tons (without being loaded with rubbish) but the twin exhausts are both on the same side  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #2609 on: October 06, 2017, 06:07:12 pm »
As it happens mine is a Skoda and it has twin exhausts but I'd like them try and wheel it away like a wheelbarrow, its a top of the range Superb and weighs in at about 1.5 tons (without being loaded with rubbish) but the twin exhausts are both on the same side  :-DD
At least the name is superb!

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2610 on: October 06, 2017, 06:25:08 pm »
My second car was a Škoda Favorit. It rained inside for five minutes after the rain stopped outside.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2611 on: October 06, 2017, 06:37:04 pm »
This my third one and they have all been very good cars, no problems with any of them. Sounds like you needed the Superbs party piece, an umbrella in the door that you can use :popcorn:. Something it shares with a certain other car, unless anyone knows otherwise, a Rolls Royce is the only other car that has that feature as standard.  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2612 on: October 06, 2017, 07:04:33 pm »
They’re certainly decent cars now. We laugh at the name only out of respect for the old cars :)

I had a vehicle with an umbrella holder, an ex army Land Rover Defender Wolf. It was supposed to be for guns but it held an umbrella and the dog’s tennis ball launcher instead :)

Another thing I regret selling :(

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2613 on: October 06, 2017, 07:07:23 pm »
Hopefully it provided funds for the acquisition of more test gear?
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2614 on: October 06, 2017, 07:11:37 pm »
Unfortunately not. It funded a vehicle with more doors so you could put children in it. They’d be fine rolling around in the back if you chucked some pillows in it!  :-DD

I actually remember driving up to Hull from Stansted in the thing to pick up a Tektronix 465B I’d scored on yahoo auctions. On the way back, life felt complete. Replaced my 20MHz LG shitbox with a proper scope. I think that was when I caught TEA actually.

Anyway gotta drive. At Watford Gap services eating dinner. Boo hiss.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2615 on: October 06, 2017, 07:28:15 pm »
Oh, Stansted, you're not far from me then, Chelmsford and I see you're a man after my own heart, preferring to drive and collect the more delicate equipment like scopes. The first one of recent times I purchased came from Scotland and thought I'll have it delivered, big mistake. :palm:

It was only a about a year old and in pristine condition when I scored it on Ebay, the courier managed to smash the handle and feet into dust almost and put a nasty dent in the casing as well, since then I have never let another be delivered to me.  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #2616 on: October 06, 2017, 10:45:09 pm »

On this side of the pond Fiat is Fix It Again Tony.  :palm:
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #2617 on: October 07, 2017, 01:23:50 am »
Or "Fix It Again Tomorrow".

A friend of mine got a rotted out Fiat roadster when we were in high school in the early 80s.  We never really tried to restore it as upon close inspection it was way too far gone.  I swear, if you listened closely you could hear the damned thing rusting!

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: neo

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #2618 on: October 07, 2017, 05:05:14 am »
I supposed if it died, you could Flintstone it to the destination. :-DD
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2619 on: October 07, 2017, 08:07:40 am »
Ferrari In Affordable Trim

Oh, Stansted, you're not far from me then, Chelmsford and I see you're a man after my own heart, preferring to drive and collect the more delicate equipment like scopes. The first one of recent times I purchased came from Scotland and thought I'll have it delivered, big mistake. :palm:

It was only a about a year old and in pristine condition when I scored it on Ebay, the courier managed to smash the handle and feet into dust almost and put a nasty dent in the casing as well, since then I have never let another be delivered to me.  :-+

No longer. In London now. The diametric opposite side to Essex. Actually went to college in Chelmsford at anglia poly.

Well it’s out for delivery now. Place your bets!

Due to a massive fuck up I’ll be back tomorrow to play with it. Funeral is this afternoon. Apparently my relatives are too dumb to even work out what day a date is.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 08:09:36 am by bd139 »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2620 on: October 07, 2017, 10:02:12 am »
Ferrari In Affordable Trim

No longer. In London now. The diametric opposite side to Essex. Actually went to college in Chelmsford at anglia poly.

Well it’s out for delivery now. Place your bets!

Due to a massive fuck up I’ll be back tomorrow to play with it. Funeral is this afternoon. Apparently my relatives are too dumb to even work out what day a date is.

Oh I see, I went to college in Chelmsford, Dovedales and the Poly and also later in Colchester. The Poly has now gone, its a building site at the moment with offices and flats being built.

Strange, I didn't think that funerals took place on weekends, maybe they just so busy at the moment, anyway look on the brighter side, you'll be able to either play with or patch up the damage tomorrow. :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2621 on: October 07, 2017, 10:12:23 am »
Yeah probably a good thing it’s gone now. It was a bit of a tangled mess and falling apart. One of the buildings, which I can’t remember the name of, was like a hospital inside. Also parking in Chelmsford was hell.

Funeral kicking off after lunch. Apparently Saturday morning is the most popular time but they managed to slide him in (terrible pun) just after lunch. Buggering off straight away because “I’ve been called out” hahaha. VTVM evening will occur.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2622 on: October 07, 2017, 10:27:07 am »
It arrived. She was under strict orders to open it and photograph it which she did. Looks like it’s been pissed around with. We have an extra what looks like wire wound resistor on the line and an LED instead of pilot lamp. Meter looks good. Battery holder also good. AC decoupling cap is clearly shot. Doesn’t look earthed!

Frankenmeter time!

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2623 on: October 07, 2017, 11:10:59 am »
The meters are not earthed, apparently designed to be floating, that said however I do intend to earth mine at some point in the future when time permits. The LED is a good thing to have as the heaters should be at 6.3v but in reality run just below 6v as the transformer is overloaded although it does not run hot.

The wire wound resistor will be the dropper for the LED, the pilot lamp was a 6.3v one.

My capacitor is original and working fine, as is the meter itself although the resistance reading are slightly out so I suspect the range resistors have fallen out of spec. Maybe I'll look at them later, but I have plenty of good accurate meters for resistance checking so its not high on my list of things to do.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2624 on: October 07, 2017, 12:31:25 pm »
The other one I have is earthed. Not sure I trust it to be floating :)

Heathkit’s design methodology was run everything hard.  I had a counter that needed from them that needed more than an amp through the regulator so they just whacked a big 3W carbon comp resistor across it to bleed current. Worked but ran hot!

This one is in series with the blue wire returned from the mains switch. I’d post the picture but I want to avoid eating up data on the road.

Check the 9.1 ohm resistor on the top of the range wafer switch. This is usually the cause of ohms measurement errors. When a numpty sticks it in ohms and measures D.C. volts it goes pop! Mine had a big hole in it. I replaced it with a selected 10 and 100 ohm pair in parallel and it’s bang on now. I’m quite impressed at how stable and accurate the resistors in it were. They were panclimatic ones.

Anyway driving back now...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf