Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14552849 times)

Qw3rtzuiop, ch_scr and 22 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #26050 on: February 24, 2019, 09:52:03 am »
Reverse power protection doesn’t always win in time :)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26051 on: February 24, 2019, 10:09:20 am »
Reverse power protection doesn’t always win in time :)
I expect that would greater depend on the amount of reverse power connected, if you connect to great powerful radio, the amount of RF power may be such that the energy let through is far greater then the protection was designed to handle and although the protection relay may have opened up, the damage could well have been done in the initial burst? In the same fashion as a circuit breaker on a power circuit, they are only designed to handle so much energy, if it sees a far greater amount then all bets are off as to the probability of it actually clearing the fault with no damage being done.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 10:12:33 am by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26052 on: February 24, 2019, 10:15:02 am »
Looks like something I built. Bet the contacts are smoked on one of the RF relays when it’s supposed to be short. Probably someone connected their radio to the output to do receiver testing and accidentally keyed down. Mr attenuator said “fum” and went to attenuator heaven. I would test each attenuator pad with an ohmmeter carefully.

TBF teks leaf switch arrangement was better than that thing by the looks.

@Specmaster: cool videos. Thanks for posting  :-+

I’m going to haul my ass to the hamfest. Wish me luck.
OK here's wishing you luck, you can be my ears and eyes on this occasion and see if it's worth visiting on another occasion. Funds are a bit low after getting the camera and a new 15 to 250 telephoto lens to add to my 70 to 300 one. So then I'll have 2 cameras with me, a 50D and the 7D.[emoji106]

Looking reasonable so far. Queuing nice and early. It’s bloody freezing though  :--

On the plus side, it's nice bright and sunny day, ideal for outside photography, I keep my fingers crossed for something nice to test the camera on when I get there
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26053 on: February 24, 2019, 10:52:07 am »
Radio rally a bit pants. Got me some RF power transistors, enclosures, cable and connectors but nothing TEA related of interest. The best scope they had was a Gould one that had been eviscerated by a T-Rex by the looks of it.

There was a heathkit AC voltmeter for £15 but I’ve fought one of them already and couldn’t be bothered.

Spent a whopping £19

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #26054 on: February 24, 2019, 11:02:19 am »
Now is the time I start reaching for the little hair I have left.

The contacts of this second stage read from left to right:
- 20dB control ( 0V, 15V )
- 10dB control ( 0V, 15V )
- 30dB control ( 0V, 15V )
- Reverse power detection output
- Reverse power protection relay  ( 0V, 5V )

Between the reverse power detection circuitry and the reverse power protection relay is a capacitor.  In one unit it measures 195pF, the other 220pF.  With 15V on the pad controls and 5V on the protection relay, this capacitor is what you can measure between the input and output.

I set this up - and that was exactly what I measured.  I then connected the first stage, powered the two pad controls and measured the full path between the low band input and the output - and all I measured was that capacitor ... as it should be.  So, I quickly ran the 1kHz cal signal from my faithful old Hitachi CRO through the low frequency input and checked operation of the pads and reverse protection relay.

It all worked as I expected it should.

|O

Walking away for today.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #26055 on: February 24, 2019, 02:04:17 pm »
...I’m going to haul my ass to the hamfest. Wish me luck.

Luck!   May all your vendors be stricken with temporary stupidity and an overwhelming desire to GTFO!

mnem
And may you need to rent a lorry to get it all homE!
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26056 on: February 24, 2019, 02:08:59 pm »
Sometimes my TEA comes in the form of Digital and Tongueular devices...

Oh my... would you look at all those delicious carbs...

mnem
*dwagon dwool*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26057 on: February 24, 2019, 07:55:00 pm »
Off topic again but for those interested here are some test shots on my new Canon 7D and Sigma 15-250 zoom lens. I went to North Weald as planned but it was quiet so I went to Stansted instead and got real close to end of the runway (almost directly under the flightpath) and took a few photos to test the speed of focus and clarity of the new lens as well. I'm really impressed with the results so far, what do you guys think?

With the amount of birds flying around there, it's a surprise that there have not been many if any actual bird strikes reported, as you see in the 2nd and 3rd photos, this plane appears to have a near miss today.

I did try some 1080p video but they were just to close for comfort and I have to practise a bit more before I can post a short clip, it really needs to be mounted on a tripod as its a heavy camera and not meant to be handheld at arms length as both the zoom and focus are manually controlled.  :palm:

« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 07:56:58 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26058 on: February 24, 2019, 08:02:42 pm »
nice  :-+ ... my father said a good camera can see the hairs on the frozen stowaway in the undercarriage and that's a contender for that  :-DD

It wasn't that long ago you could go for an amble across the runway at stansted. Either that or I'm getting old  ???

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26059 on: February 24, 2019, 08:13:03 pm »
Wow, so much going on here... managed to catch up though.   :horse:

Ok, while I was just reading and reading and reading I received a neat little power supply I got cheaply because it was equipped with a US power plug and wired for 115V.
No problem with that as the service manual shows how to configure it for 230V.   :)
The voltage fine adjustment knob has a missing piece but that's not a big deal.

I rewired the little guy for 230V, swapped the US power cord with a CEE 7/4 ("Schuko") -plug cord.
After that I performed a quick test and checked the electrolytic caps. -They were all better than their spec.
As a result the little supply worked fine.
But the meter needed adjustment.  :-/O
After calibrating I was able to set the voltage and current to x.0 without external help (e.g. the dvm I used for checking). Very impressing.  :-+
The plus and minus terminals had to go and I replaced them with some modern HP-look-alikes I bought years ago.
The original terminals had to go:They don't hold the plugs of my lab cables because they're not deep enough.
Interestingly the ground terminal was of another, more modern type.

After all I'm quite pleased with this little power supply.   :)

And for TEA I ordered a Siglent 1104X-E today because I need a digital scope to take with me at meetings where I would have a bad feeling leaving my Agilent DSO-X 3034A alone..   :palm:
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 08:15:12 pm by URI »
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

The following users thanked this post: salvagedcircuitry

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26060 on: February 24, 2019, 08:49:41 pm »
nice  :-+ ... my father said a good camera can see the hairs on the frozen stowaway in the undercarriage and that's a contender for that  :-DD

It wasn't that long ago you could go for an amble across the runway at stansted. Either that or I'm getting old  ???
I think your father was right and so are you, I remember Stansted being developed into becoming a fully operating airport as my father was actually working for one of the construction companies doing the development many years ago while I was still a child and I used walk around Stansted then and nobody cared. These days they is a massive police presence and their was a large armed police presence on the approach to the main terminal today. I have been stopped by police before because I standing close to the boundary fence and there was a time when nobody was allowed near the fence to observe the planes at all.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26061 on: February 24, 2019, 09:13:26 pm »

Ok, while I was just reading and reading and reading I received a neat little power supply I got cheaply because it was equipped with a US power plug and wired for 115V.
No problem with that as the service manual shows how to configure it for 230V.   :)

I rewired the little guy for 230V, swapped the US power cord with a CEE 7/4 ("Schuko") -plug cord.
After that I performed a quick test and checked the electrolytic caps. -They were all better than their spec.
After calibrating I was able to set the voltage and current to x.0 without external help (e.g. the dvm I used for checking). Very impressing.  :-+
The plus and minus terminals had to go and I replaced them with some modern HP-look-alikes I bought years ago.
The original terminals had to go:They don't hold the plugs of my lab cables because they're not deep enough.

And for TEA I ordered a Siglent 1104X-E today because I need a digital scope to take with me at meetings where I would have a bad feeling leaving my Agilent DSO-X 3034A alone..   :palm:

Nice little supplies those. I got one off ebay about a year ago. Unfortunately the seller was a flipping idiot and it turned up in pieces :(

Does it buzz like a lot of HP supplies? Mine did. That always annoys the hell out of me (sorry if it annoys the hell out of you now I mention it!)

I think your father was right and so are you, I remember Stansted being developed into becoming a fully operating airport as my father was actually working for one of the construction companies doing the development many years ago while I was still a child and I used walk around Stansted then and nobody cared. These days they is a massive police presence and their was a large armed police presence on the approach to the main terminal today. I have been stopped by police before because I standing close to the boundary fence and there was a time when nobody was allowed near the fence to observe the planes at all.

Yes everything changed big time in 2001 at least. I have been stopped by Stansted security as well for having a piss in a hedge  :-DD

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26062 on: February 24, 2019, 09:59:17 pm »

I would rather stay away from such meetings istead of suffering the loss of just a screwdriver or test lead.
Where do you have to?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #26063 on: February 24, 2019, 10:33:55 pm »
Some stuff Bean posted weeks ago finally arrived  :phew:
AVO probe tips and some RF adapter goodies.
Thank you kindly mate.  :clap:

Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26064 on: February 24, 2019, 10:34:04 pm »

Nice little supplies those. I got one off ebay about a year ago. Unfortunately the seller was a flipping idiot and it turned up in pieces :(

Does it buzz like a lot of HP supplies? Mine did. That always annoys the hell out of me (sorry if it annoys the hell out of you now I mention it!)

I can't complain. I just checked: When I put my ear on it I can hear it hum. Half a meter away it's barely noticeable. My 6114A's 50Hz hum is louder...    :popcorn:

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26065 on: February 24, 2019, 10:40:03 pm »

Ok, while I was just reading and reading and reading I received a neat little power supply I got cheaply because it was equipped with a US power plug and wired for 115V. No problem with that as the service manual shows how to configure it for 230V.   :)   The voltage fine adjustment knob has a missing piece but that's not a big deal. I rewired the little guy for 230V, swapped the US power cord with a CEE 7/4 ("Schuko") -plug cord. After that I performed a quick test and checked the electrolytic caps. -They were all better than their spec. As a result the little supply worked fine. But the meter needed adjustment.  :-/O

After calibrating I was able to set the voltage and current to x.0 without external help (e.g. the dvm I used for checking). Very impressing.  :-+The plus and minus terminals had to go and I replaced them with some modern HP-look-alikes I bought years ago. The original terminals had to go:They don't hold the plugs of my lab cables because they're not deep enough. Interestingly the ground terminal was of another, more modern type. After all I'm quite pleased with this little power supply.   :)

The knob is easy enough to fix up passably with a little epoxy and a black marker (or repaint the whole thing if you're feeling froggy).

That screwcap on the (-) terminal though... you should for sure attack the red ring on it with a black Sharpie. Leaving it with two red rings like that is just taunting Murphy.  :-+

mnem
"It's not fair to tempt... and tempting fate is just stupid." ~ grandmother

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26066 on: February 24, 2019, 10:41:37 pm »
Red for all outputs is standard for HP. My 6236B:

Tallking of which if anyone has any knob caps for HP stuff lying around they don't want, I'm interested. The lack of them is grating on me to the point I nearly spent £40 on something to sacrifice just for the knob caps :-DD

The following users thanked this post: salvagedcircuitry

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26067 on: February 24, 2019, 10:47:36 pm »
It's still stupid. To paraphrase Dickens: "If HP presumes otherwise, then HP is a ass."

[EDIT]
If I had that supply, I would immediately move the cap with the black ring to COM, then paint the ring on the removed cap green for the GND terminal. What do you guys over there use for EARTH GND... GREEN w/YELLOW Stripe, right? That would be harder... but still doable with a steady hand, or maybe a bit of pinstriping tape. If I lived there, it would be a regular part of my toolkit for sure.
[/EDIT]

mnem
 :horse:
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 10:59:55 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26068 on: February 24, 2019, 10:57:49 pm »
Tallking of which if anyone has any knob caps for HP stuff lying around they don't want, I'm interested. The lack of them is grating on me to the point I nearly spent £40 on something to sacrifice just for the knob caps :-DD

I didn't know they were worth that much, but these are just begging for make a silly offer.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hp-Agilent-Knob-joblot-HP-Rotary-Switch-Knob-Joblot/113617071108?hash=item1a741aec04:g:dQ4AAOSwoZJcCSdt:rk:8:pf:0

David
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 11:04:58 pm by factory »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26069 on: February 24, 2019, 11:02:30 pm »
Wow... that's one for the "Are you high on CRACK?!?" chronicles.  :palm:

mnem
*poot!*

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #26070 on: February 24, 2019, 11:03:17 pm »
Some stuff Bean posted weeks ago finally arrived  :phew:
AVO probe tips and some RF adapter goodies.
Thank you kindly mate.  :clap:

Slow Boat Via China  :-// At least they got there in the end :)
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline GregDunn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26071 on: February 24, 2019, 11:25:27 pm »
As promised, and for those who don't sit on the Repair forum and wait for new posts all day:   >:D

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/hp-3468a-and-hp-3478a-new-acquisitions-(minor-cleanup)/

When I get the 3478A case squared up I'll add to the thread, but for now I'm just going to let them cook and see if there are any stability issues.

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26072 on: February 24, 2019, 11:46:54 pm »

Ok, while I was just reading and reading and reading I received a neat little power supply I got cheaply because it was equipped with a US power plug and wired for 115V. No problem with that as the service manual shows how to configure it for 230V.   :)   The voltage fine adjustment knob has a missing piece but that's not a big deal. I rewired the little guy for 230V, swapped the US power cord with a CEE 7/4 ("Schuko") -plug cord. After that I performed a quick test and checked the electrolytic caps. -They were all better than their spec. As a result the little supply worked fine. But the meter needed adjustment.  :-/O

After calibrating I was able to set the voltage and current to x.0 without external help (e.g. the dvm I used for checking). Very impressing.  :-+The plus and minus terminals had to go and I replaced them with some modern HP-look-alikes I bought years ago. The original terminals had to go:They don't hold the plugs of my lab cables because they're not deep enough. Interestingly the ground terminal was of another, more modern type. After all I'm quite pleased with this little power supply.   :)

The knob is easy enough to fix up passably with a little epoxy and a black marker (or repaint the whole thing if you're feeling froggy).

That screwcap on the (-) terminal though... you should for sure attack the red ring on it with a black Sharpie. Leaving it with two red rings like that is just taunting Murphy.  :-+

mnem
"It's not fair to tempt... and tempting fate is just stupid." ~ grandmother

Well, its two red marked terminals for plus and minus is common HP style. I'm used to it. Forces me to always check twice.   >:D

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #26073 on: February 24, 2019, 11:59:09 pm »
Funny, I just got one of those little buggers the other day, too - I'd been looking for one of the 12V ones for less than a small fortune, and finally found one to my liking. Took the photo Friday, then saw a bunny and forgot to post it.  They're nice little supplies, and I finally have at least one of each flavor.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26074 on: February 25, 2019, 12:02:48 am »

I would rather stay away from such meetings instead of suffering the loss of just a screwdriver or test lead.
Where do you have to?

The meetings are model railroading meetings. Driving the layout with DCC and the presence of a lot of electronics for steering and controlling e.g. points and signals and inevitable faults and bugs bring me and my Test Equipment in.  ;)
Average meetings last from Friday to Sunday and in that period of time I also want to take part in operations. At night I'm staying in a hotel nearby normally but can't take all of my equipment with me so it stays at the layout.

Funny, I just got one of those little buggers the other day, too - I'd been looking for one of the 12V ones for less than a small fortune, and finally found one to my liking. Took the photo Friday, then saw a bunny and forgot to post it.  They're nice little supplies, and I finally have at least one of each flavor.

Nice!  :-+
-And I see that yours has two terminals with red markings for plus and minus, too. Classic.   :popcorn:
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 12:17:08 am by URI »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf