Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14915546 times)

opabob, Kosmic and 273 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #26275 on: February 27, 2019, 08:01:42 pm »
@Ice-Tea take that effing tape of the screens, why oh why do people stick labels etc all over the screens, it can ruin them, labels should be adhered to the body of the instruments, never on the front and certain never on the screens or displays  :rant: :wtf:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26276 on: February 27, 2019, 08:06:27 pm »
SDG1032X doesn’t. Same performance issues.
Which ?
Channel outputs are equal amplitude like SDG2042X.
Or something else ?

Harmonics and phase noise performance worse.
OK, Siglent specs are worst case so therefore always met however I can do these real measurements on a SDG1032X here using my SSA3032X if you like.

Thanks for the offer but the DG1022Z covers requirements here and is already qualified for me.

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26277 on: February 27, 2019, 08:14:34 pm »
Just won another racal 9915 counter. That’s two now. Got a bliley ocxo left you see so needed something to stuff it in  :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #26278 on: February 27, 2019, 08:22:39 pm »
Just won another racal 9915 counter. That’s two now. Got a bliley ocxo left you see so needed something to stuff it in  :-DD

I got the itch to buy something now but going to wait. Picking up that 475A and 2430 on Monday. And I think Invert is shipping me the 7704 and we'll meet up at a later date for the other stuff.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline grizewald

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26279 on: February 27, 2019, 08:28:10 pm »
@Ice-Tea take that effing tape of the screens, why oh why do people stick labels etc all over the screens, it can ruin them, labels should be adhered to the body of the instruments, never on the front and certain never on the screens or displays  :rant: :wtf:

Well said! That was the first thing that crossed my mind when I saw that blue tape. I was really happy when the tape residue came off the 7075 with petrol, but not everything can stand being cleaned with it.

Lord of Sealand

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #26280 on: February 27, 2019, 08:32:49 pm »

You're aware I didn't put them there I assume? I don't understand why auction monkeys put them on the screen as per default (or maybe I do: best sticking surface on any instrument). And if I ever catch one the act I'm going to do all Stephen King on him.

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #26281 on: February 27, 2019, 09:14:29 pm »
Just a follow up. The 2465 with the ugly arse fan modification is running cool, calm, and collected. Been running several hours and barely warm. Unlike it's older cousin up top which runs quite a bit warmer (Yes, it's fan is running).

I haven't done actual temperature checks yet but seat of the pants checks with human hand indicate all is well.  :-+

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #26282 on: February 27, 2019, 09:25:06 pm »
I was really happy when the tape residue came off the 7075 with petrol, but not everything can stand being cleaned with it.

How well does the 7075 work?

Mine need several hours to become stable.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26283 on: February 27, 2019, 09:49:25 pm »
US$100 for a 5221A? Granted, it has options 02 and 03, badge, and feet, but wowzers.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1969-Hewlett-Packard-Model-5221A-Electronic-Frequency-Counter-Nixie-Tube-/264205009124?nordt=true
Well, it's the banter of certain people on this forum (among others) that lets the world know that they regard Nixies as a desirable attribute and not a prehistoric pest. :-DD

Offline grizewald

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26284 on: February 27, 2019, 09:50:51 pm »
I was really happy when the tape residue came off the 7075 with petrol, but not everything can stand being cleaned with it.

How well does the 7075 work?

Mine need several hours to become stable.

Sadly, I've not had any time for TEA stuff recently as I've been building a big CoreXY 3D printer and fighting to get it printing as well as I know it can.

So the 7075 has been sitting there looking at me accusingly and reminding me of the Lemo connectors, PTFE screened cable and copper banana plugs sitting on top of it.

I gave it a good cooking after you suggested it last time and it's been sitting here in the most low humidity environment you can imagine. (A centrally heated apartment with the outside temperature well under -10C) I'm hoping to get the connectors fitted and some cables made up this weekend. I've also got one of RoadRunner's LM399 references turning up tomorrow, so that should be a good way to see if it's recovered from its imprisonment in a shipping container in southern England.

I'll let you know how it goes!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 09:52:37 pm by grizewald »
  Lord of Sealand

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26285 on: February 27, 2019, 10:03:06 pm »
US$100 for a 5221A? Granted, it has options 02 and 03, badge, and feet, but wowzers.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1969-Hewlett-Packard-Model-5221A-Electronic-Frequency-Counter-Nixie-Tube-/264205009124?nordt=true
Well, it's the banter of certain people on this forum (among others) that lets the world know that they regard Nixies as a desirable attribute and not a prehistoric pest. :-DD

only a knuckle draggin' idiot would consider instruments containing nixie tubes as worth owning.

and I should know.
free range primate

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #26286 on: February 27, 2019, 10:08:17 pm »
Anyone else notice that you need an account with Keysight to download old HP documentation now? Booo.  :--

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #26287 on: February 27, 2019, 10:31:53 pm »
...I was working with the Performance curves here:
http://xx.leogroup.cn/DetailInfoEn/PumpDetail.aspx?SeriesID=9&PumpID=1923

But if ya look at the Rated Parameter specs under another tab on same page, the furking thing is only rated to Flow(m³/h): 4 !  :wtf:
Clearly it's running past its max comfort level but at this time I'm not sure who should be choked/strangled, me, the pump or the expert that sold it to me !  :-DD

Thanks for your pointers Bean and the sanity checks that confirms I was thinking this all correctly.  :phew:  :-+

I blame the girl fumes!!! They HAVE  been known to travel right through the telephone waves; it's true ahh tells ya!!!

only a knuckle draggin' idiot would consider instruments containing nixie tubes as worth owning.

and I should know.

*Airmails nixie a case of Band-aids*

Please stop bleeding all over the floor; it's slippery and the hostess is refusing to serve us until it's cleaned up.  :-DD

Anyone else notice that you need an account with Keysight to download old HP documentation now? Booo.  :--

Do you at least get schematics with them now?

mnem
Pants are highly overrated.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 10:38:11 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: nixiefreqq

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26288 on: February 27, 2019, 10:35:12 pm »

Welcome to the exciting world of Surveillance Capitalism!

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #26289 on: February 27, 2019, 10:38:01 pm »

But if ya look at the Rated Parameter specs under another tab on same page, the furking thing is only rated to Flow(m³/h): 4 !  :wtf:
Clearly it's running past its max comfort level but at this time I'm not sure who should be choked/strangled, me, the pump or the expert that sold it to me !  :-DD

Thanks for your pointers Bean and the sanity checks that confirms I was thinking this all correctly.  :phew:  :-+

I blame the girl fumes!!! They HAVE  been known to travel right through the telephone waves; it's true ahh tells ya!!!
Yep, starting to think the same.....doesn't matter how old ya is, we're all susceptible to a bit of skirt.  ::)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26290 on: February 27, 2019, 10:44:41 pm »
snip

Do you at least get schematics with them now?

mnem
Pants are highly overrated.

I haven't signed up yet. I guess I might as well. Add another to the pile of internet accounts...

Welcome to the exciting world of Surveillance Capitalism!

That and website complexity is just atrocious these days. A well done basic HTML website serving up static content is far more usable.

Offline grizewald

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26291 on: February 27, 2019, 10:47:23 pm »
Yep, starting to think the same.....doesn't matter how old ya is, we're all susceptible to a bit of skirt.  ::)

There's a word for that in Swedish.

"Gubbsjuka"

:D
  Lord of Sealand

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26292 on: February 27, 2019, 10:47:57 pm »
Well at least they let you signup with minimal information. Only name and email address are required.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26293 on: February 27, 2019, 10:48:19 pm »

You're aware I didn't put them there I assume? I don't understand why auction monkeys put them on the screen as per default (or maybe I do: best sticking surface on any instrument). And if I ever catch one the act I'm going to do all Stephen King on him.
Yeh I guessed you didn't do it, give em hell if you catch em.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26294 on: February 27, 2019, 10:49:41 pm »
Just a follow up. The 2465 with the ugly arse fan modification is running cool, calm, and collected. Been running several hours and barely warm. Unlike it's older cousin up top which runs quite a bit warmer (Yes, it's fan is running).

I haven't done actual temperature checks yet but seat of the pants checks with human hand indicate all is well.  :-+

Good maybe it's more efficient than the standard fan[emoji106]
Who let Murphy in?

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #26295 on: February 27, 2019, 10:50:44 pm »

Yep, I'm right with ya on that suggestion and had come to exactly the same conclusion some hours before you posted.
I was working with the Performance curves here:

That link above looks like they have cloned the Grundfos selection site and maybe even their Data too  :palm: Love a Chinese Rubbery Equipment Spec. with conflicting Data.

Gate Valve, Clamp Meter for the Motor. Pressure Gauge on the Pump Body if you are interested and manually test the Flow Rate over a known time going into your Tank up the hill. Record the data and write Ms Pump a Note about the Rubbery Spec. to be ignored by the Chinese manufacturer anyway  :horse:
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26296 on: February 27, 2019, 10:53:06 pm »
Currently sitting in A&E waiting to see my son who has blown his knee tonight, had to get ambulance for him,  consultant with him now.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #26297 on: February 27, 2019, 10:56:09 pm »

All seriousness though... what's the service here? Commercial? More than one household? That 4m³/hr translates to almost 18GPM American, and here typical is 5-12GPM for residential, with most being in the low side of that range.  :-// And we are horrible water wasters.  :palm:

mnem
 :popcorn:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26298 on: February 27, 2019, 10:57:35 pm »
Currently sitting in A&E waiting to see my son who has blown his knee tonight, had to get ambulance for him,  consultant with him now.

Yikes. I know a guy who did that. Pretty much stopped any notions of being a pro athlete after college. Hope everything goes well!

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #26299 on: February 27, 2019, 11:01:02 pm »

All seriousness though... what's the service here? Commercial? More than one household? That 4m³/hr translates to almost 18GPM American, and here typical is 5-12GPM for residential, with most being in the low side of that range.  :-// And we are horrible water wasters.  :palm:

mnem
 :popcorn:

Got to water the Sheep - Insert Baaaaad New Zealand Sheep Shagging Joke here  :-DD

Water from pond at the bottom of the hill pumped up a big hill to a storage tank so it can be gravity fed to stock troughs back down the same line in most cases.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf