Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14780673 times)

Jambalaya and 197 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #29200 on: April 12, 2019, 08:58:40 pm »
Going back to the last 465B I did in 2017, the fuzzy traces were down to loose screws and poor grounding and tants in the end.

Before:

After:

The trace on the bottom image was pin sharp. Crappy phone camera here :(

Here's the two I had in at the same time - you can see the difference from the blurring on the 475 being worse:

The following users thanked this post: kj7e

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #29201 on: April 12, 2019, 10:37:57 pm »
How fuzzy is it? Some fuzzy is normal on the 465B when switched into 100MHz at least.

Is it THIS fuzzy?    :-DD

mnem
Oh jeez... I think I sneezed out some grey matter just looking at that thing! :o
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #29202 on: April 13, 2019, 12:00:25 am »
The garage treasure house saga continues... the gentleman who sold me the pickup bed sized load of HP, Tek and RTTY ham gear called and asked if I wanted to see what was left. I took a box of mostly NIB audio gear that I acquired over the year, you know, just in case.

First he shows me an AmScope trinocular microscope with the boom stand, camera, light. Too big for my tiny bench, though tempting. Next to that is a National Instruments digital scope and a plastic bag filled with metal. What's that?  Oh, just a bunch of metal bits I am going to scrap. I dug around a bit and found this:

In the pile were thirty NEC microwave transistors (with an fT of 4.5GHz), along with an assortment of fifteen or so moto RF power transistors. ummm, do you mind if I sort these parts out of the scrap metal? Ten minutes of chatting and going through mostly empty parts cabinets resulted in a baggie filled with heat sinks, 10.7MHz IF transformers, and an assortment of hole plugs.  Since I devote hours to taking them out of gear, I resisted the urge to add a pile of NOS Tektronix tantalums.  :-DD

I traded a sound mixing board and digital recorder for the lot. I am fairly certain that I have exhausted this particular stash.  Tomorrow I am driving down to Corvallis to visit that 485 that I can't seem to resist.

PS - I found the video software that goes with the NI microscope and convinced the tech support rep to give me a copy. I imagine I will spend the evening looking at bugs and stuff.  ;D

specialization is for insects.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #29203 on: April 13, 2019, 12:31:52 am »
Cool stuff!  :-+
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #29204 on: April 13, 2019, 02:00:15 am »

Minor 30 second TEA repair here. Proper neon obtained for the HP power supply:

Nice 'n' glowy!
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: worsthorse

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #29205 on: April 13, 2019, 02:05:13 am »
The garage treasure house saga continues... the gentleman who sold me the pickup bed sized load of HP, Tek and RTTY ham gear called and asked if I wanted to see what was left. I took a box of mostly NIB audio gear that I acquired over the year, you know, just in case.

First he shows me an AmScope trinocular microscope with the boom stand, camera, light. Too big for my tiny bench, though tempting. Next to that is a National Instruments digital scope and a plastic bag filled with metal. What's that?  Oh, just a bunch of metal bits I am going to scrap. I dug around a bit and found this:

In the pile were thirty NEC microwave transistors (with an fT of 4.5GHz), along with an assortment of fifteen or so moto RF power transistors. ummm, do you mind if I sort these parts out of the scrap metal? Ten minutes of chatting and going through mostly empty parts cabinets resulted in a baggie filled with heat sinks, 10.7MHz IF transformers, and an assortment of hole plugs.  Since I devote hours to taking them out of gear, I resisted the urge to add a pile of NOS Tektronix tantalums.  :-DD

I traded a sound mixing board and digital recorder for the lot. I am fairly certain that I have exhausted this particular stash.  Tomorrow I am driving down to Corvallis to visit that 485 that I can't seem to resist.

PS - I found the video software that goes with the NI microscope and convinced the tech support rep to give me a copy. I imagine I will spend the evening looking at bugs and stuff.  ;D

Nice scores! Wish I could've been there for the AmScope. I'd make room for that.  ;D
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29206 on: April 13, 2019, 02:12:21 am »
I've been looking at the Yaesu VX-6R for a mobile backpack type rig. It's ruggedized and submersible.
Aw come on, there are far nicer radios in green to be had. And they have extended frequency coverage not by a hack, but by design. Treat yourself to a PRC-152.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #29207 on: April 13, 2019, 02:19:41 am »
I've been looking at the Yaesu VX-6R for a mobile backpack type rig. It's ruggedized and submersible.
Aw come on, there are far nicer radios in green to be had. And they have extended frequency coverage not by a hack, but by design. Treat yourself to a PRC-152.

This? https://www.harris.com/solution/harris-falcon-iii-an-prc-152a-wideband-networking-handheld-radio

I’m not sure Harris even sells stuff to people who aren’t law enforcement or military.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29208 on: April 13, 2019, 02:21:00 am »

Beautiful!

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #29209 on: April 13, 2019, 02:37:21 am »

Nice 'n' glowy!

Nice, makes me feel all warm like looking at a fireplace.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29210 on: April 13, 2019, 02:55:10 am »
That's not a "fireplace" glow; that's a nuclear nukular glow. How many millirads is that prehistoric "emitter" rated at, anyways?  :-DD

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29211 on: April 13, 2019, 03:03:14 am »
This? https://www.harris.com/solution/harris-falcon-iii-an-prc-152a-wideband-networking-handheld-radio

I’m not sure Harris even sells stuff to people who aren’t law enforcement or military.

I think he may be talking about the Triumph Instruments family of "replica" products...

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2386202.m570.l1313.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.TRS0&_nkw=PRC-152&_sacat=0

mnem
Sarcasm: Just another free service I offer.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 03:10:12 am by mnementh »

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #29212 on: April 13, 2019, 03:16:14 am »
I gather that after poking around the internet that there are some hams who have managed to acquire military surplus gear...seems a tad sketchy to me, especially when talking about radios that are equipped with COMSEC equipment (which theoretically should have been removed before surplusing, but you never know. Certain types of COMSEC gear require a Top Secret clearance to be in possession of).

Personally, I'd rather have the Yaesu than a fake Harris radio. Much smaller for one thing...

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #29213 on: April 13, 2019, 05:05:01 am »

blah blah blah...

Nice scores! Wish I could've been there for the AmScope. I'd make room for that.  ;D

If you want it, I can probably get it for $325ish and ship it to you.
specialization is for insects.

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #29214 on: April 13, 2019, 06:14:31 am »
I picked up a second HP 53310A MDA with Option 10 (OCXO), it was listed AS IS, no display on the CRT but it was cheap.  I wanted it just for the Option 10 back plane which includes a separate linear power supply for the 10811-6011 OCXO.  Turns out it was not as dead as the seller thought, so I may have a 53310A for sale soon, just without option 10.

Option 10 back plane;

Only had a short time to play with it, still quite a bit to lean but the UI is simple;

100MHz FM 1KHz modulation at 5K deviation;

Spent a few hours cleaning it up, pounded out a dent or two in the cover, but it came out quite nice.

Next, waiting for some Cypress CY7C194-25PC 64K*4 SRAM, going to expand the internal memory (or known as Option 01).  When I'm done it will be fully loaded with Options 01, 10, and 32.  In 1992, the base unit was listed at $9,500, option 01 was $500, option 10 was $1500 and option 32 $1600.  I'm in it for about $350 for the total for the pair of them and it looks like I can sell the second one as a working unit.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 06:25:24 am by kj7e »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, 0culus

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #29215 on: April 13, 2019, 08:08:22 am »
I picked up a second HP 53310A MDA with Option 10 (OCXO), it was listed AS IS, no display on the CRT but it was cheap.  I wanted it just for the Option 10 back plane which includes a separate linear power supply for the 10811-6011 OCXO.  Turns out it was not as dead as the seller thought, so I may have a 53310A for sale soon, just without option 10.

Only had a short time to play with it, still quite a bit to lean but the UI is simple;

What is that 8 outlet power panel in the background?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #29216 on: April 13, 2019, 08:10:53 am »
Stumbled across this. Thought you Brits might appreciate it.... ;D

Edit, and what is "a bloody Queen's dodger" ???  :-//
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 08:13:06 am by med6753 »

The following users thanked this post: kj7e

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29217 on: April 13, 2019, 08:16:55 am »

Nice 'n' glowy!
Unusually bright and glowy for a neon, sure its not filled with a differanr gas?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 08:31:18 am by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29218 on: April 13, 2019, 08:19:16 am »

I'd love one of those but it would use all of my space up [emoji53]
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29219 on: April 13, 2019, 08:21:33 am »

Its not far from the truth. I have no idea what the queen's dodger is though.

Missing three important things: (1) The "po po" never turn up at the door even if you call them (2) most of the time people don't answer the door unless they know it's a delivery or someone is coming in case it's the JW's or a pikey trying to sell you a new driveway or a dag. Usually you hang out of the window and say "who the fuck are you?" and "get off my property you cunt" (3) no mention of tea.

Nice 'n' glowy!
Usually bright and glowy for a neon, sure its not filled with a differanr gas?

I think this is more an artifact of my phone's camera. It's very red but the eyeball has a lot more dynamic range on red.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29220 on: April 13, 2019, 08:34:38 am »
@bd139 what the hell is dag? The rest of it your spot on with [emoji23]
Who let Murphy in?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #29221 on: April 13, 2019, 08:34:51 am »

Its not far from the truth. I have no idea what the queen's dodger is though.

Missing three important things: (1) The "po po" never turn up at the door even if you call them (2) most of the time people don't answer the door unless they know it's a delivery or someone is coming in case it's the JW's or a pikey trying to sell you a new driveway or a dag. Usually you hang out of the window and say "who the fuck are you?" and "get off my property you cunt" (3) no mention of tea.

Again...we Yanks tend to be a little direct when it comes to insisting someone get off the property.  ;D

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #29222 on: April 13, 2019, 08:50:58 am »

Oh, the JWs can be entertaining, and I once enabled Brethren to realise that they should vacate their Saturday afternoon street-corner pitch before their kids lost their immortal soul. But that's not a subject for this forum.

Apart from that, I haven't had to do (1) in decades, and people are more pleasant here :) Time for you to move to a pleasant part of S'rry or 'ampshire.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 08:54:21 am by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29223 on: April 13, 2019, 08:57:28 am »
@bd139 what the hell is dag? The rest of it your spot on with [emoji23]

Pikey: "wanna buy a dag?"  (dog)

Oh, the JWs can be entertaining, and I once enabled Brethren to realise that they should vacate their Saturday afternoon street-corner pitch before their kids lost their immortal soul. But that's not a subject for this forum.

Apart from that, I haven't had to do (1) in decades, and people are more pleasant here :) Time for you to move to a pleasant part of S'rry or 'ampshire.

I live near Twickenham stadium which is where the annual JW convention is. I'm on the blacklist now. No one knocks :D

As for the second point, on it. Heading out to look at a place today.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #29224 on: April 13, 2019, 09:34:18 am »
Curse this thread I spent some time looking at buying a better Hand Held than the cheap pair I got ages ago.  ::)

Random BaoFang thoughts so much BS and bogus older models abound. Seems the current pick are the UV-5X3 1,4,5W (tri band) if you are in the USA as Amazon won't ship to Oz  :horse: or the UV-5R Gen 2 or Plus replacement the BF-F8HP 1,5,8W (dual band) think I have it sorted and for Oz we don't use the 1.25M band generally so the dual band seems like the best current option. Seems they have replaced most of the output chips too over the UV-5R.

I like this test method - Brought BEER with the change over the name brands  ;D

https://youtu.be/6XaG-bkRcMw
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf