Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14550882 times)

cf4044, Vince, TSCOLAN and 19 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #29425 on: April 16, 2019, 09:34:04 am »
You engineers are a funny lot.  :P :P ;D :popcorn:
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #29426 on: April 16, 2019, 10:50:51 am »
Speaking of Pocket Protectors. Tonight's free to air viewing classic :-DD

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29427 on: April 16, 2019, 10:52:56 am »
You engineers are a funny lot.  :P :P ;D :popcorn:
Thank you  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29428 on: April 16, 2019, 11:11:00 am »
   (SNIP)   yep...….when CAD came around we thought it was for sissies. 
errmuhhgrrd!!! Is that the Tandy Leather Co Pocket Protector kit?!?

*sigh*

Remembering my Staedtler-Mars and Koh-I-Noor 2mm clutch pencils... and the cast-iron Bruning sharpener pointer in black crinkle-finish. Now THERE was a weapon.  >:D And I had one of the first NiCd (not "converted dry cell") Bruning erasers; everybody wanted to "borrow" it.  :palm:

How many pokes with a divider... how many halogen lamp burns?  :-DD

mnem
How many eraser shield cuts does it take to get to the Tootsie-Roll center of a prehistoric engineer-draughtsman?

not sure what happened to my sharpeners.  had a couple of the crap plastic ones but always lusted for one of those black crinkle finish iron monsters.  in the design division at the Philadelphia naval slipshod if you called a "lead holder" a "pencil" you would be the subject of scorn.  my curves were little baby things in that shop.  the real engineers had giant "ships curves" that were things of beauty.  you never ever borrowed one with out permission.  and god help you if some one saw you use a scale as a straight edge.....that's what triangles are for.

the first time I ever saw an electric eraser its owner told me to never touch it.  and threatened to kill me like a dog if he ever caught me sticking it down my pants.  (never would have occurred to me if he had not mentioned it first).

good times I tell ya' what.

edit  sharpener   you got it right, they were "pointers".

« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 12:20:05 pm by nixiefreqq »
free range primate

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #29429 on: April 16, 2019, 11:55:29 am »
This probably should have gone into the 'what did you buy today' thread but I know how much everyone absolutely HATES nixie tubes.  I was at my ham club's annual tailgate party and the president of the club offered this to me for $2.00.  He said it wouldn't power up and he didn't check the fuse.  When I brought it home, I did a quick check of the fuse and it was good.  I was outttatime as there was much to do, so I played with it a bit today and found the oddball fuse holder knackered.  I wasn't able to restore continuity, so I spliced in a an inline fuse holder I had and it worked.  I will let it warm up and I will warm up my DMMCheck + and get some readings off of it.  It does have the AC and Ohms converters and the read input.  The case looks like it has been rode hard and put away wet.  There are what appears to be rust lines on it, like a wet piece of equipment has been put on it and left to rust.  Also, there was only 1 foot, 1 partial, 1 very small piece of foot holding the screw in place and 1 missing.  I added feet to it so it at least sits up off of the bench.  It was last calibrated 2/13/92 with the AC calibrated from 50 Hz to 50 KHz.  After I check measurements, I will add more pictures and maybe even a peek under the skirt.  Then there will be the job of trying to find a place for it.  I don't really have a need for a pizza box but it does have nixies.

EDIT:  After running a couple of minutes, it appears the 3rd tube from the right wants to display all the numbers.  Any suggestions what to look for and does anyone have the service manual for it?

EDIT 2:  Tube is fine.  I wiggled it around as I couldn't quite get a grip to pull it and reseat it.  Issue went away.  I am thinking of spending $10 and getting the manuals and schematics from Artek Manuals.

Just a friendly note, a warning i suppose,
I own one as well and if you want it to keep working it'd be best to change all the capacitors, especially tantalums but don't forget electrolytics. If the power supply goes fubar the whole damn thing goes, in my instance anyways, fubar beyond repair.

Thanks for the word of warning.  If I actually decide to keep it, I will do that.  I don't really have a place for it because of its size.  Then again, I can sell it on as refurbished.  It will end up on a shelf for now as there is too much going on after work hours.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #29430 on: April 16, 2019, 12:40:46 pm »
   (SNIP)   yep...….when CAD came around we thought it was for sissies. 
errmuhhgrrd!!! Is that the Tandy Leather Co Pocket Protector kit?!?

*sigh*

Remembering my Staedtler-Mars and Koh-I-Noor 2mm clutch pencils... and the cast-iron Bruning sharpener pointer in black crinkle-finish. Now THERE was a weapon.  >:D And I had one of the first NiCd (not "converted dry cell") Bruning erasers; everybody wanted to "borrow" it.  :palm:

How many pokes with a divider... how many halogen lamp burns?  :-DD

mnem
How many eraser shield cuts does it take to get to the Tootsie-Roll center of a prehistoric engineer-draughtsman?
not sure what happened to my sharpeners.  had a couple of the crap plastic ones but always lusted for one of those black crinkle finish iron monsters.  in the design division at the Philadelphia naval slipshod if you called a "lead holder" a "pencil" you would be the subject of scorn.  my curves were little baby things in that shop.  the real engineers had giant "ships curves" that were things of beauty.  you never ever borrowed one with out permission.  and god help you if some one saw you use a scale as a straight edge.....that's what triangles are for.

the first time I ever saw an electric eraser its owner told me to never touch it.  and threatened to kill me like a dog if he ever caught me sticking it down my pants.  (never would have occurred to me if he had not mentioned it first).

good times I tell ya' what.

Yeah, that's why I went back and corrected "sharpener" to "pointer"... though the Koh-i-noor reps called theirs a "clutch pencil" to differentiate them from their mechanical "drafting pencils" in 0.2mm-0.9mm sizes. Anybody who tried to give me shit about calling it a clutch pencil then got "That's what the people who made it call it; piss off."

A GOOD scale is not really a good straightedge anyways; the major divisions have the faintest groove in the edge to help you set the scale on your dividers. But I can't tell you how many old-timers I STILL saw with telltale graphite stains on their scales once I started noticing; catching them was always a leveling point, but best done discreetly. ;)

And I loved the old green and orange acrylic triangles from Staedtler and Koh-i-noor: the ones with the edges ground & polished on multiple angles so there was a razor-thin edge that fluoresced just below the actual working edge; those things were subtlety raised to an art form.

mnem
*hopelessly analog*

alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29431 on: April 16, 2019, 01:22:23 pm »
Blundell Harling here in UK do some decent scale rules. Nice to see some drawing geekery here.

I've actually been working on an illustrated book for the last 10 years or so. Loosely titled "Ken Ham's thoughts illustrated". I'll probably get sued instantly so I'm not going to post it here  :-DD ... contains sinful aliens, flying elephants on fire and jesus punching a t-rex.

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #29432 on: April 16, 2019, 01:50:27 pm »
Anyone have an opinion on these replacement blue Tektronix filters?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tektronix-22xx-Oscilloscope-screen-filter-337-2775-00-Laser-cut-replacement/283438585153?epid=1392276479&hash=item41fe419541:g:or0AAOSwmLlX-VU4#rwid

I would like to find a nice, scratch free replacement blue filter for the 2245-2247 line, Tektronix PN: 337-2775-00

Edit, second thought, mine is really not that that bad, maybe I'll just try a plastic polish, light scratch compound then finish polish.

I also need one Gray push on knob/shaft for the illumination, Tektronix PN: 366-2089-00, looks like there is a seller in Greece, but I would like to find one locally.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 02:15:58 pm by kj7e »

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #29433 on: April 16, 2019, 01:56:30 pm »
for you children out there.....the thing that looks like a dead mouse is a bag of ground up eraser that was used to dust pencil drawings to stop them from smearing.  you could also get it in a can that you sprinkled on the sheet before you placed your t square or triangle.  the can was labeled "scum-x".  so naturally the bag version was called a "scum bag".  they were usually tossed at interns to wake them up from their afternoon hang over nap.

yep...….when CAD came around we thought it was for sissies.

Dug out of a box -
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: nixiefreqq

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #29434 on: April 16, 2019, 02:15:41 pm »
I appear to be completely surrounded and out numbered here.  :scared: In my time I have met some brilliant engineers. I have also met some who were dumber than a box of rocks. But one thing seemed to be universal: hand them a soldering iron and they are a danger to everyone around them, including themselves.  :-DD I trust that is not the case with this group...at least I can hope.  >:D ;D
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 02:22:11 pm by med6753 »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29435 on: April 16, 2019, 02:23:59 pm »
I haven't soldered my fingers together yet  :-DD

Talking of which, I am considering making a massive bulk purchase of 60/40 solder. EU banned it last year and it's disappearing from retailers now.

Edit: trying to work out how long before I can't hold a soldering iron any more and how many rolls I get through.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 02:26:01 pm by bd139 »

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #29436 on: April 16, 2019, 02:25:50 pm »
Name these re-capped power supplies, winner gets nothing, not even a t-shirt.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29437 on: April 16, 2019, 02:28:40 pm »
HP 6216C ?

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #29438 on: April 16, 2019, 02:30:36 pm »
HP 6216C ?

Close.  No 10t pots and two different models.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29439 on: April 16, 2019, 02:35:04 pm »
I give up :)

The following users thanked this post: kj7e

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #29440 on: April 16, 2019, 02:41:20 pm »
I give up :)

1970's 6216A has the gold traces, early 1980' 6218A with the tinned traces.  Love those little supplies.  PITA to remove the board soldered to the output terminals though.  Decided to re-cap them, even though all the caps tested just fine (very surprised), but they will live for 30 more years now.

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #29441 on: April 16, 2019, 02:47:35 pm »
This showed up yesterday;

I have a couple of dumb questions I'm hoping someone (maybe Med the TekNut) can answer.  Its been a very long time since I've had an analog scope, and then one with on screen readouts.  Perhaps I'm too picky, but it seems the on-screen readout is a bit more out of focus than I would expect, the trace seems to focus fine, which is not exactly the best focus for the OSR but not far from it.  Also, the OSR seems to flicker some.  Is this expected?  Is there a way to sync the focus of the OSR with the trace?

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #29442 on: April 16, 2019, 03:05:21 pm »
If I recall correctly, these newer series Tek CROs all dither the readouts every time you move the controls, to help reduce CRT burn in. [edit] does the 2247A have an astigmatism pot? I seem to recall adjusting that on my 2465B helped sharpen things up.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 03:09:27 pm by 0culus »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #29443 on: April 16, 2019, 03:18:57 pm »
Yea, the readout focus doesn't always follow the trace focus 100%. Reduce the read out intensity slightly and it will improve. You can play around with some settings but I typically don't bother. Also, the blue filter could have dust on the backside against the CRT itself, especially in the corners where the read outs reside. I had this on a 2430 and it made a BIG difference in read out quality. You'll have to remove the front bezel to clean it. If that guy is like a 2430 or 2465 there's a top rail that pops off with 4 screws underneath it. On the bottom there are 4 more screws. Remove knobs under CRT but be careful. They break easily. Use a heat gun and pry carefully. The knobs to the right of the CRT can remain in place. The bezel should then pull off.

As far as flashing of the read out? Hmmm....could be due to Trigger settings. I don't see that on either the 2430 or the two 2465's but I have heard of it before and it's due to the sweep circuit switching back and forth between the trace itself and the read out.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #29444 on: April 16, 2019, 03:21:44 pm »
Yea, the readout focus doesn't always follow the trace focus 100%. Reduce the read out intensity slightly and it will improve. You can play around with some settings but I typically don't bother. Also, the blue filter could have dust on the backside against the CRT itself, especially in the corners where the read outs reside. I had this on a 2430 and it made a BIG difference in read out quality. You'll have to remove the front bezel to clean it. If that guy is like a 2430 or 2465 there's a top rail that pops off with 4 screws underneath it. On the bottom there are 4 more screws. Remove knobs under CRT but be careful. They break easily. Use a heat gun and pry carefully. The knobs to the right of the CRT can remain in place. The bezel should then pull off.

As far as flashing of the read out? Hmmm....could be due to Trigger settings. I don't see that on either the 2430 or the two 2465's but I have heard of it before and it's due to the sweep circuit switching back and forth between the trace itself and the read out.

Actually...in looking at that scope again. It doesn't look like you need to remove the bezel to remove the blue filter. Remove those 2 screws just below the CRT and I'll bet it will allow you to remove it.

Offline grizewald

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #29445 on: April 16, 2019, 03:29:32 pm »

Talking of which, I am considering making a massive bulk purchase of 60/40 solder. EU banned it last year and it's disappearing from retailers now.

Really? I guess nobody told Elfa here in Sweden as they've got metric tonnes of it still for sale.
  Lord of Sealand

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #29446 on: April 16, 2019, 03:46:53 pm »

Actually...in looking at that scope again. It doesn't look like you need to remove the bezel to remove the blue filter. Remove those 2 screws just below the CRT and I'll bet it will allow you to remove it.

Yeah, that was the first thing I did.  I spent 30 min cleaning it before I ever plugged it in haha.  Still have to detail all the knobs, but it will look like new when I'm done.  Going to polish the blue filter with some Novus 7100 compound's to make it like new again.  That will help some I'm sure.  So far it seems to work fine.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #29447 on: April 16, 2019, 04:02:27 pm »
I also noticed that it has an "A intensity" and "B intensity". That COULD mean it's a dual beam scope.....2 separate electron guns in the CRT. If that's true then that sweep circuit is working double overtime which could explain the flickering.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29448 on: April 16, 2019, 04:07:38 pm »

Really? I guess nobody told Elfa here in Sweden as they've got metric tonnes of it still for sale.

Yeah there's tonnes of it in circulation but you can't pick it up in consumer retail outfits now here at least. It's all lead free. Can still buy industrial but my suppliers are usually consumer faced (via ebay) because they are cheap as chips so stocks will disappear.

Just bought 1.1Kg of loctite multicore. That should do for a bit :D

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #29449 on: April 16, 2019, 04:59:11 pm »
Blundell Harling here in UK do some decent scale rules. Nice to see some drawing geekery here.

I've actually been working on an illustrated book for the last 10 years or so. Loosely titled "Ken Ham's thoughts illustrated". I'll probably get sued instantly so I'm not going to post it here  :-DD ... contains sinful aliens, flying elephants on fire and jesus punching riding a t-rex.

Fixed that for ya.  :-DD

Anyone have an opinion on these replacement blue Tektronix filters?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tektronix-22xx-Oscilloscope-screen-filter-337-2775-00-Laser-cut-replacement/283438585153?epid=1392276479&hash=item41fe419541:g:or0AAOSwmLlX-VU4#rwid

I would like to find a nice, scratch free replacement blue filter for the 2245-2247 line, Tektronix PN: 337-2775-00

Edit, second thought, mine is really not that that bad, maybe I'll just try a plastic polish, light scratch compound then finish polish.

I also need one Gray push on knob/shaft for the illumination, Tektronix PN: 366-2089-00, looks like there is a seller in Greece, but I would like to find one locally.

If he's cutting NEW acrylic to match the original dimensions... I think quite reasonable price for a niche market "cottage industry" type product. And well worth it to get your 24xx screen looking minty new again.  :-+

Acrylic gets weird with age; I've opened NOS acrylic parts that have crazed and gotten "sparklies" while still in an unopened package.  :(

Those knob-caps on the front of the 24xx series will embrittle with age too, but I haven't heard that anyone who's bought them from that fellow in Greece got a bad one. I believe he is known to ship good product pretty quickly, so no fear aside from the cost.

mnem
*looking for the perfect box*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf