Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14553056 times)

ch_scr, Qw3rtzuiop and 22 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #29475 on: April 17, 2019, 02:11:57 am »
   Packed. 38.4 lbs.  :scared: Now to actually ship the old beast...

mnem
*box-ify*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #29476 on: April 17, 2019, 02:14:36 am »
"Fragile: Test Equipment. Feel free to toss around and drop kick as see fit".  :o :-DD 
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: worsthorse

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #29477 on: April 17, 2019, 02:18:58 am »
After hours of looking for docs and pricing info for all these obscure Tek widgets, I decided to do something fun and set up the NI DC5-420TH microscope. One of their customer service reps sent me links to the application software, Windows driver, and a firmware update.

I got the driver installed, but the app software wouldn't run without the firmware update. So I ran the firmware update as instructed.

And it crashed, apparently bricking the microscope camera in the process.   |O   |O   |O

D'OH.  :palm:

Gonna be able to get it back?  :-//

I don't think there's anything I can do on my own. It is showing up as an "unknown USB device" in the USB bus controller section of the device manager tree, which is not good news.  I sent an email to the service tech and asked if there was some way to recover from whatever happened.

I can't tell you how bummed I am at this moment.  I felt queasy about running the firmware update and didn't trust my instincts. I hope I didn't destroy a good piece of kit.
specialization is for insects.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29478 on: April 17, 2019, 02:19:54 am »
Name these re-capped power supplies, winner gets nothing, not even a t-shirt.

archy               mehitabel

mnem
Did I win?!?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 02:33:06 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #29479 on: April 17, 2019, 02:21:35 am »
Are you kidding? I would MAKE room for something like that!  :-DD Looks like it's been taken care of.

This listing here is one of the things I really really want to find in working condition though: eBay auction: #233191972558. Not only is it one of the finest things they ever made, it's perfect for heating the lab in the winter with all those umpteen tube filaments.  :-DD

A triple nickel has been on my 'want' list for a long time, too.  Some day...

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #29480 on: April 17, 2019, 02:23:06 am »
After hours of looking for docs and pricing info for all these obscure Tek widgets, I decided to do something fun and set up the NI DC5-420TH microscope. One of their customer service reps sent me links to the application software, Windows driver, and a firmware update.

I got the driver installed, but the app software wouldn't run without the firmware update. So I ran the firmware update as instructed.

And it crashed, apparently bricking the microscope camera in the process.   |O   |O   |O

D'OH.  :palm:

Gonna be able to get it back?  :-//

I don't think there's anything I can do on my own. It is showing up as an "unknown USB device" in the USB bus controller section of the device manager tree, which is not good news.  I sent an email to the service tech and asked if there was some way to recover from whatever happened.

I can't tell you how bummed I am at this moment.  I felt queasy about running the firmware update and didn't trust my instincts. I hope I didn't destroy a good piece of kit.

Sometimes....just once in a while....if you unplug an "unknown USB device" and then replug it then Windows goes the "extra mile" to find drivers and like I said, sometimes you get lucky. But the odds are against you but worth a try.   

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #29481 on: April 17, 2019, 02:31:10 am »
"Fragile: Test Equipment. Feel free to toss around and drop kick as see fit".  :o :-DD

That's the definition I believe Australia Post uses.

It has been commonly suggested to never put such invitations on your packages.

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #29482 on: April 17, 2019, 02:33:56 am »
It has been commonly suggested to never put such invitations on your packages.

I asked the UPS store people once whether putting "FRAGILE" stickers on the box actually made any difference.

The answer was "No".  :P
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29483 on: April 17, 2019, 02:37:32 am »
So I shouldn't pony up for the insurance and FRAGILE tape?  :-DD

mnem
I sure hope Herpes Parcel doesn't serve bitseeker's corner of Cali-fone-ia...

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #29484 on: April 17, 2019, 02:41:34 am »
"Fragile" is package man for "Football"

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #29485 on: April 17, 2019, 02:47:01 am »
However ... putting "Not Fragile" on your box - now you will see a difference.  :-DD
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #29486 on: April 17, 2019, 02:50:37 am »
I reckon putting 'Insured' on the box is worthwhile - that way if it gets damaged by the oaf, the boss comes looking!
(A control feedback loop)
Rob
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #29487 on: April 17, 2019, 02:55:53 am »
OK Gang......listen good. I live about 5 miles from this. As much as I would love to bid on this frankly it's more than I'd like to spend and I really don't have room from it. But here's the deal....

If you want to bid on it and you win the bid I would be willing to be your proxy and pick it up until you can make arrangements to get it. But I WILL NOT SHIP so don't even go there. So think about it. Contact me via PM if you want. But don't force me to perform unnatural acts. I'll pick it up, hold it, then you come and get it.

The following users thanked this post: beanflying

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #29488 on: April 17, 2019, 03:03:34 am »
OK Gang......listen good. I live about 5 miles from this. As much as I would love to bid on this frankly it's more than I'd like to spend and I really don't have room from it. But here's the deal....

If you want to bid on it and you win the bid I would be willing to be your proxy and pick it up until you can make arrangements to get it. But I WILL NOT SHIP so don't even go there. So think about it. Contact me via PM if you want. But don't force me to perform unnatural acts. I'll pick it up, hold it, then you come and get it.

med, you are an evil, evil man!  I'll need to sleep on this (and hopefully succumb to a moment of sanity)

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29489 on: April 17, 2019, 03:22:14 am »
Wow... did Tek practice starting new series of product with a new unique series of serials numbers back then? That Ser # 010002... could it really be the 2nd 555 that rolled off the line?  :o

mnem
damn.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29490 on: April 17, 2019, 03:26:23 am »

*crosses arms and snorts derisively* I'm going to ignore you now. Very loudly.  :-DD

mnem
harrummph. and a half.

Offline innkeeper

• Supporter
« Reply #29491 on: April 17, 2019, 03:49:37 am »

AAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
It's right down the road for me too!!! ... damn its tempting..but yea, more then I want spend also and I don't really have room for it ... but damn cool.

maybe I'll swing by tomorrow and just look at it on my way over to P&T :P

should be safe to do as I feed my addiction for the week, I picked up a piece of gear today down in NJ that was also local pickup only off eBay from a salvage place, was supposed to be non-working TEK curve tracer for parts and is completely functional. I'll post the details of that adventure tomorrow with some pics

Hobbyist and a retired engineer and possibly a test equipment addict, though, searching for the equipment to test for that.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #29492 on: April 17, 2019, 04:29:52 am »

*snip*

If I lived closer to you, and hadn't just bought a 7904A mainframe...I'd be very sorely tempted to take you up on that.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #29493 on: April 17, 2019, 05:13:12 am »

AAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
It's right down the road for me too!!! ... damn its tempting..but yea, more then I want spend also and I don't really have room for it ... but damn cool.

maybe I'll swing by tomorrow and just look at it on my way over to P&T :P
:-DD
I'll leave this here:

Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #29494 on: April 17, 2019, 05:30:46 am »
for you children out there.....the thing that looks like a dead mouse is a bag of ground up eraser that was used to dust pencil drawings to stop them from smearing.  you could also get it in a can that you sprinkled on the sheet before you placed your t square or triangle.  the can was labeled "scum-x".  so naturally the bag version was called a "scum bag".  they were usually tossed at interns to wake them up from their afternoon hang over nap.

yep...….when CAD came around we thought it was for sissies.

Dug out of a box -

Sweet! I have those same triangles. I just don't know where my box is, which should contain some architectural templates, too.

I appear to be completely surrounded and out numbered here.  :scared:

Yeah, I'm pleasantly surprised by all the drafting tools coming out of the woodwork. Who'd a thunk it?

In my time I have met some brilliant engineers. I have also met some who were dumber than a box of rocks. But one thing seemed to be universal: hand them a soldering iron and they are a danger to everyone around them, including themselves.  :-DD I trust that is not the case with this group...at least I can hope.  >:D ;D

I think it's safe to say we know what we're doing with the soldering iron (and other repair tools). Either that, or we're good at hiding the aftermath. :-DD
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29495 on: April 17, 2019, 06:11:11 am »
I think it's safe to say we know what we're doing with the soldering iron (and other repair tools). Either that, or we're good at hiding the aftermath. :-DD

It's not safe to say... ANYTHING. SHHHHHHHH!!!  ;)

mnem
A friend will help you move. A TEA friend will help you move the body your new boat anchor.

Offline EV

• Frequent Contributor
  • Aficionado
« Reply #29496 on: April 17, 2019, 06:17:03 am »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29497 on: April 17, 2019, 06:22:29 am »
So... looking for an old post had me thinking about members no longer around... Cerebus, of course... but also Inverted18650, who hasn't been active here for a month.

Anybody here have an APOC for the guy, maybe know if he's okay?

Cheers,

mnem
*Toddles off to ded*  :=\

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29498 on: April 17, 2019, 07:00:58 am »
I am pricing stuff that is, as ham radio folks say, excess to my needs and sort of amazed by ebay buyer/seller behavior.

Take probes, for example.  Not only is there no predictable dollar/megahertz metric but people pay roughly the same price for low bandwidth probes like the YT6050 (60 MHz) as they do for the P6122 (100 HMz) or the P6106 (250 MHz).  There are also outlier buyers paying three or four times the going price, as if they didn't do the simplest diligence before buying. I've run through a list of approximately two dozen probe models and both the bid and ask sides are completely wacky. 

Needless to say, this makes the price setting exercise more difficult than I imagined.

color /me confused   ???

Yeah, the evilbay marketplace is huge. You just never know who's buying or why. Don't try to make sense of it. What I do is look at the predominant price range, without outliers, and then decide how quickly I want or need the item to move. Time required to sell is directly proportional to price.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29499 on: April 17, 2019, 07:05:16 am »
I consider myself a better than average mechanical engineer, occasionally a downright inspired empirical engineer, and a fair-at-best electronics engineer. ;)

You're quite well versed in a lot of things. No doubt about that.

TEA Moment # 7259:

Whilest I was out running down some musical instruments for my wife (because this is is a thing that I sometimes do); I happened upon a pawn shop I'd never seen before. Languishing on their shelves were these two little gems; $20 later and they're now on my workbench.

The Stanley screwdriver set was pretty much a no-brainer for a few dollars; given the function set, I'm pretty sure the Fieldpiece DMM is made for AC Tech service. You can see how they've evolved from my original modular Fieldpiece meter on the right.

Nice scores! I don't have any experience with Fieldpiece, but I look forward to seeing how it turns out.

The Fieldpiece line of products has a rep for surviving even their tender mercies.:-DD We'll see how well it held up and how well it cleans up later; as I'm FINALLY finishing packing up my bitseeker's new 454 after having to buy a suitable box at Home Depot.

:scared: :popcorn:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf