Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14550710 times)

Vince, TSCOLAN and 17 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #29500 on: April 17, 2019, 07:06:46 am »
Are you kidding? I would MAKE room for something like that!  :-DD

That sounds familiar. ??? ;D
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29501 on: April 17, 2019, 07:17:34 am »
I reckon putting 'Insured' on the box is worthwhile - that way if it gets damaged by the oaf, the boss comes looking!
(A control feedback loop)

Hehe, I like that idea.

"Fragile: Test Equipment. Feel free to toss around and drop kick as see fit".  :o :-DD

*crosses arms and snorts derisively* I'm going to ignore you now. Very loudly.  :-DD

I've had TEA gear shipped to me with and without stickers or hand-written notes. They all arrive the same way. The quality of the packing inside is what matters.

Well, that and the tape holding it all together. The 6060B that I got recently arrived with half the tape on the bottom of the box detached. It's a wonder it didn't fall out.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29502 on: April 17, 2019, 07:18:36 am »
I have still this but not in use.

Interesting. I've never seen one of those before.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29503 on: April 17, 2019, 07:25:17 am »
So... looking for an old post had me thinking about members no longer around... Cerebus, of course... but also Inverted18650, who hasn't been active here for a month.

Anybody here have an APOC for the guy, maybe know if he's okay?

It certainly has been a while. I just sent Inverted an email. Been meaning to do that, so thanks for the reminder. Will update y'all with any info.

*Toddles off to ded*  :=\

Likewise! :=\

(And just noticed that I seem to be having quite the monologue tonight.)

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #29504 on: April 17, 2019, 08:12:25 am »
So... looking for an old post had me thinking about members no longer around... Cerebus, of course... but also Inverted18650, who hasn't been active here for a month.

I noticed this last week and sent Inverted18650 an email (not PM) last Monday.  To date, I've not had a response.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29505 on: April 17, 2019, 08:14:30 am »

Cheers,

mnem

Yeh, you're right, they have both been absent for a while, Cerebus went overseas to work for a while IIRC and I believe that Inverted18650 was saying that he was awaiting admission to hospital, so I'm assuming that he has indeed been admitted for his operation now. Can anyone either confirm if this is correct and or give us all an update on his current whereabouts / condition.

EDIT:
Just lately it seems that just as I'm typing a response someone else beats me to it, maybe because I'm just so rubbish at typing, my son on the other hand is like a touch typist on his keyboard whereas me, been using keyboards for around 40 years now has not really progressed much beyond the single finger stage, I'm a slow developer  :-DD
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 08:19:16 am by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29506 on: April 17, 2019, 08:44:27 am »
Considering a high roll on some Heathkit junk again. Why do I keep doing this. All it does is hurt me.  :-DD

Edit: outbid. Phew!  :-DD
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 08:51:02 am by bd139 »

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #29507 on: April 17, 2019, 09:09:51 am »
Considering a high roll on some Heathkit junk again. Why do I keep doing this. All it does is hurt me.  :-DD

Edit: outbid. Phew!  :-DD

If you watched even one episode of those "pikeys competing to buy the contents of a storage locker" programs, you would have the justification. You are causing other people to spend so much money that they don't have much left for things you really need want.

Since this is the TEA thread, the veracity of that justification is irrelevant.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29508 on: April 17, 2019, 09:26:15 am »
Interesting perspective and one I have to agree with.

So I forgot to buy some 100 ohm trimmers for a project I am working on. Ordered some from RS. Place your bets - will they arrive tomorrow or Next Tuesday? Considering ordering some from another supplier just in case.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #29509 on: April 17, 2019, 09:31:17 am »
After 1 week in customs the 4x attenuator is now in a USPS distribution center in Jersey City, NJ. At freaking last.  :phew: If USPS gets off their arse I should have it tomorrow. But most likely on Friday. 
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #29510 on: April 17, 2019, 09:35:46 am »
As I now own 4 Tek probes in total and only one 2 channel Tek Scope will I be needing another Scope to bring balance to the shack  :-DD

P2200's @ $33USD delivered each.

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #29511 on: April 17, 2019, 09:46:39 am »

Cheers,

mnem

Yeh, you're right, they have both been absent for a while, Cerebus went overseas to work for a while IIRC and I believe that Inverted18650 was saying that he was awaiting admission to hospital, so I'm assuming that he has indeed been admitted for his operation now. Can anyone either confirm if this is correct and or give us all an update on his current whereabouts / condition.

EDIT:
Just lately it seems that just as I'm typing a response someone else beats me to it, maybe because I'm just so rubbish at typing, my son on the other hand is like a touch typist on his keyboard whereas me, been using keyboards for around 40 years now has not really progressed much beyond the single finger stage, I'm a slow developer  :-DD

Inverted and I were supposed to meet up at his relative's residence in PA on March 26th. It didn't happen. On or about March 19th I sent him a PM confirming this and never got a response. The purpose of the meet was he was going to give me a Tek 7704 to keep plus a time mark generator that I was going to repair and send back to him. Many weeks prior I had sent him $85 USD to cover the cost of shipping these items but we decided a meet up would be better and he would use the funds I sent him for gas for the trip. So right now it's in limbo and I have no clue as to what happen. I want to assume it's a medical issue and he'll be back.   

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29512 on: April 17, 2019, 09:51:58 am »
Got my T12 replacement this morning.

BNIB 12V 35W Weller TCP-S. Very happy. Will stick powerpoles on it and sorted.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29513 on: April 17, 2019, 09:56:56 am »

Cheers,

mnem

EDIT:

Inverted and I were supposed to meet up at his relative's residence in PA on March 26th. It didn't happen. On or about March 19th I sent him a PM confirming this and never got a response. The purpose of the meet was he was going to give me a Tek 7704 to keep plus a time mark generator that I was going to repair and send back to him. Many weeks prior I had sent him $85 USD to cover the cost of shipping these items but we decided a meet up would be better and he would use the funds I sent him for gas for the trip. So right now it's in limbo and I have no clue as to what happen. I want to assume it's a medical issue and he'll be back.   
Yes, I think that's the view of us all, let's all wish him a speedy recovery and look forward to his return again.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29514 on: April 17, 2019, 12:58:56 pm »
Took a gamble. MI TF2015 signal generator.

Output on all ranges. Otherwise unknown! Wish me luck. SMM available. Has reverse power protection. Only real risk is attenuator section (cam based) as the sticker says and mains filter explosion. Attenuator is a leaf switch one with cams but is easy to pull and repair apparently. Worst case it's running as a 0dBm reference with an external step attenuator  :-DD ... may just be skank in it. It's not 115V btw - 230v enabled on back.

need to design and test a cavity filter for a project at approx 130MHz so cheapest thing that will likely do the job. 1/4 the price of a broken 2019A at the moment.

Attenuator visible here:

Edit: this might be an excuse to buy a 3d printer - make some cams!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 01:08:48 pm by bd139 »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #29515 on: April 17, 2019, 01:14:39 pm »
That attenuator deck appears to be much more stout and repairable than what you typically find in Tek scopes. What is that blue can to the left of it that appears to have a dent in it?  :-//

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29516 on: April 17, 2019, 01:17:47 pm »
Yeah that's what I'm hoping. The attenuator is a standard marconi part that comes in a lot of their kit by the looks so I can no doubt buy a parts mule for attenuator parts. If it's burned out I can probably bodge something good to 500MHz with some SMD resistors these days.

Blue can is philips electrolytic. Somewhat notorious for exploding violently. The dents are actually a cheap ass way of clamping the contents inside the can:

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29517 on: April 17, 2019, 01:27:22 pm »
Took a gamble. MI TF2015 signal generator.

Output on all ranges. Otherwise unknown! Wish me luck. SMM available. Has reverse power protection. Only real risk is attenuator section (cam based) as the sticker says and mains filter explosion. Attenuator is a leaf switch one with cams but is easy to pull and repair apparently. Worst case it's running as a 0dBm reference with an external step attenuator  :-DD ... may just be skank in it. It's not 115V btw - 230v enabled on back.

need to design and test a cavity filter for a project at approx 130MHz so cheapest thing that will likely do the job. 1/4 the price of a broken 2019A at the moment.

Attenuator visible here:

Edit: this might be an excuse to buy a 3d printer - make some cams!
I almost pulled the trigger on one of those but it looked a lot worse than this, so I chickened out in the end  :scared: You mention something about a sticker and a mains filter explosion, I can't see the sticker? Depending on the price of these and the price of the replacement filter it might a good deal or not. I have just ordered 2 replacement mains filters for my Solartron 7150 Plus meters at stupid cost of £56.26 from the only place I could find the identical unit, Digi-Key UK, thats almost what I paid for a meter FFS.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 01:29:32 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29518 on: April 17, 2019, 01:32:48 pm »
Sticker on top "attenuator o.o.s" (attenuator out of service). Mains filter is a basic one in this. £6 from RS fortunately!

I've just dragged the full SMM off the web ( https://elektrotanya.com/marconi_tf_2015a.pdf/download.html ) and it appears that the attenuator uses standard metal film resistors. The only risk is the cams really which appear to be proprietary. At worst the unit is sealed with cal sticker so no one will have futzed with it and all the pieces of the inevitably broken cams will be in it. It's also showing 0dBm output which means all the cams are down and shorting the attenuator steps out.

50/50. Might be a winner. Might be mostly working. Main thing is it's working on each range so at least if I can get the ALC loop working and calibrated at 0dBm I can use it with an external step attenuator.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 01:36:11 pm by bd139 »

Offline innkeeper

• Supporter
« Reply #29519 on: April 17, 2019, 01:40:47 pm »
Yeah that's what I'm hoping. The attenuator is a standard marconi part that comes in a lot of their kit by the looks so I can no doubt buy a parts mule for attenuator parts. If it's burned out I can probably bodge something good to 500MHz with some SMD resistors these days.

Blue can is philips electrolytic. Somewhat notorious for exploding violently. The dents are actually a cheap ass way of clamping the contents inside the can:

I've never seen a cap build like that
interesting.....
if I had seen that id have believed someone got to aggressive clamping it down.
Hobbyist and a retired engineer and possibly a test equipment addict, though, searching for the equipment to test for that.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29520 on: April 17, 2019, 01:41:24 pm »
Sticker on top "attenuator o.o.s" (attenuator out of service). Mains filter is a basic one in this. £6 from RS fortunately!

I've just dragged the full SMM off the web ( https://elektrotanya.com/marconi_tf_2015a.pdf/download.html ) and it appears that the attenuator uses standard metal film resistors. The only risk is the cams really which appear to be proprietary. At worst the unit is sealed with cal sticker so no one will have futzed with it and all the pieces of the inevitably broken cams will be in it. It's also showing 0dBm output which means all the cams are down and shorting the attenuator steps out.

50/50. Might be a winner. Might be mostly working. Main thing is it's working on each range so at least if I can get the ALC loop working and calibrated at 0dBm I can use it with an external step attenuator.
Defpom has some videos on the repairs he did to one of those generators, might be worthwhile having butchers at those?

I did think about bodging another version of filter into my meters, then realised that be so doing, I'd automatically be reducing their value if I later flipped them  :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #29521 on: April 17, 2019, 01:42:27 pm »

interesting.....

Ditto, that is weird.  :palm:

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29522 on: April 17, 2019, 01:43:03 pm »

interesting.....
They used to be fairly common on British gear of the era.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline innkeeper

• Supporter
« Reply #29523 on: April 17, 2019, 01:44:14 pm »
KARMA  STRIKES!!!!

(( this is how I got the curve tracer in all of its un-cleaned up glory...the extra trace lines in the pic are an artifact of my camera set to hdr. .. traces look perfect. ))

My EBAY local pickup only item and story .....

I'm not going name names here, as I'm not out to badmouth the parties involved, though in all rights I should.

I picked up this Tektronix 576 curve tracer that originally it was listed along with with a Tektronix 2465B 400 mhz 4 channel scope, both showing no trace, and listed on ebay "for parts" no returns. I figured they would be fun projects, so I gave an offer on eBay that was accepted. 

I drove 2 hours into NJ to an electronics salvage warehouse to pick them up only to find out they "goofed" on the listing and the scope listed in the title and in pictures was a "mistake" ... grrr .. well it seemed they weren't about to let me walk out with both the scope and the curve tracer... at least not for the price I paid. they wanted like +400 for the scope.  I felt that was very sleazy.

They kept offering me to come to the back look at other things to buy while I was there, it felt a lot like a bait and switch thing.

I ended up negotiating and refund on the scope and walked away only paying 170 USD for just the non-functional curve tracer .... at that moment, I felt like I had been dupped...but on the other hand, was not upset at the deal on he curve tracer as a project piece.

However ... Karma is a wonderful thing...

It turns out that the curve tracer works fine, they just had no clue how to use it .....  So that's right a 576 curve tracer for 170 bucks.

looking at date codes on the chips inside seems to be circa 1975 .. it needs a little cleanup but everything seems to work fine.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 01:55:36 pm by innkeeper »
Hobbyist and a retired engineer and possibly a test equipment addict, though, searching for the equipment to test for that.

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, kj7e, mnementh, beanflying

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29524 on: April 17, 2019, 01:45:58 pm »
Defpom has some videos on the repairs he did to one of those generators, might be worthwhile having butchers at those?

I did think about bodging another version of filter into my meters, then realised that be so doing, I'd automatically be reducing their value if I later flipped them  :palm:

Cool - he does indeed. Including video here:

On the solartrons, its' worth doing a job properly even if you break even I find. It doesn't sit well, at least with me, if I don't put ALL the effort I can into it.

I'm liking this service manual for this TF2015. This is REALLY nice:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf