Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14555014 times)

Aiy, wkb and 20 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #29675 on: April 19, 2019, 04:28:29 am »
Considering a high roll on some Heathkit junk again. Why do I keep doing this. All it does is hurt me.  :-DD

Edit: outbid. Phew!  :-DD

>:D  :-DD eBay auction: #293033386565

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #29676 on: April 19, 2019, 05:49:20 am »
Hornsby - Yep, I could drive there.

$300 - Not in the budget.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29677 on: April 19, 2019, 06:22:36 am »

And then double it at least for an Antenna would see you in the Dog House for an extended period  ;)

Riddle me this Tek heads. Refooting of the 453 is done and I went looking for the lost Graticules and found there was a fine mesh screen in front of the CRT (now cleaned). In the bits box was the Glass version as pictured with the mesh beside it. Is the mesh 'normal' and can the scale be better illuminated or do I just go with the glass?

Time to break out the IPA for the Tek and a nice Stout for me  :popcorn:
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #29678 on: April 19, 2019, 07:04:54 am »
Looking nice there, bean.  :-+ Tomorrow FedEx is bringing me a very cool new-to-me toy for the lab. After a considerable number of HP instruments, finally getting back to Tektronix.

Also, been experimenting more with the ADF. At low frequencies if you want a usable signal for radio stuff, definitely gonna need some solid filtering. Below about say 500-1000 MHz, there are *lot* of strong harmonics reaching out past 12 GHz.  :o

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #29679 on: April 19, 2019, 07:18:04 am »
See, it's not a simple as you thought.  ;D Hence the cutting, crowbar, and booty fab.  :-DD

Edit...maybe I should submit here:

https://whitetrashrepairs.com/
   Well, no. Not that hard at all; it just means I have to do a little research.   :-DD   For MYSELF, in your place, I'd have modded the OE squirrelcage to fit the motor portion of one of the oodles of fans from my "cooling" bin. Would take me a couple hours tops, including balancing the rotating mass. But my model aviation hobby has given me considerable practice building "fans" from scratch, and I've accumulated the tools to make it relatively easy.  >:D
Cheers,

mnem
*sghetti time for da kiddles*

PPS: *SNERK!!!* at whitetrashrepairs.com

And now I've finally got a minute to post some pics... I went and did it just to prove I wasn't just blowing smoke up your arse.  >:D

As always... the fabricobbling comes easy; its documenting shit that makes it take 3 times as long.  :-DD

For now I'm just going to leave this here with the descriptions on the photos... it's late & I'm tired, and I have the kids all over me like ferrets on crack until Monday. Oh, and a road trip to Louisiana in there somewhere I need to rest up for...  :scared:

mnem
"Remember, kids: The difference between science and fucking off is WRITING IT DOWN!!!"
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 03:56:55 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: tautech, beanflying

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #29680 on: April 19, 2019, 07:36:33 am »
Thats a kiddies one, a basic 4 banger, here's a proper calculator, 54 years old, its the very one I brought when I was at college and its still going strong, uses a 9v battery and has never even had as much as a battery leak in that time and is still my personal favorite goto calculator out of all the ones in my collection.

54yo? 1965? Even 45 (=>1974) may be a couple of years too old. (I too had one at uni.)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29681 on: April 19, 2019, 07:39:14 am »
And now I've finally got a minute to post some pics... I went and did it just to prove I wasn't just blowing smoke up your arse.  >:D

As always... the fabricobbling comes easy; its documenting shit that makes it take 3 times as long.  :-DD

Yup.

But that is sufficiently interesting and valuable to other people that it is worth giving it a proper title in a thread of its own. As it is, buried in message 29k of (probably) >50k, nobody will find it again.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #29682 on: April 19, 2019, 07:40:10 am »
Very impressive mnem, take a bow.  :clap:

Yup.

But that is sufficiently interesting and valuable to other people that it is worth giving it a proper title in a thread of its own. As it is, buried in message 29k of (probably) >50k, nobody will find it again.
Nah, bitseeker will add it to the POI's.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29683 on: April 19, 2019, 08:06:50 am »
Thats a kiddies one, a basic 4 banger, here's a proper calculator, 54 years old, its the very one I brought when I was at college and its still going strong, uses a 9v battery and has never even had as much as a battery leak in that time and is still my personal favorite goto calculator out of all the ones in my collection.

54yo? 1965? Even 45 (=>1974) may be a couple of years too old. (I too had one at uni.)
I'm not quiet sure what you mean to "old" [emoji848]. When you say you had one at uni kind of implies that no longer have one, correct? Why?

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29684 on: April 19, 2019, 08:19:48 am »

Yup.

Not very likely to be found by google and the TekScopes mob.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29685 on: April 19, 2019, 08:20:54 am »

Yup.

Totally agree, it's a really intreasting project in its own right and breathes fresh life into a good oscilloscope again that without it is useless [emoji122]

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29686 on: April 19, 2019, 08:23:54 am »

I'm not quiet sure what you mean to "old" [emoji848]. When you say you had one at uni kind of implies that no longer have one, correct? Why?

I'd have said 43 years old at most.

It broke, I got a TI, HP became sufficiently cheap that I finally bought one, I wasn't so stupidly acquisitive as I am now and threw out the uninteresting old calculators.

Sent from my keyboard using FondleARodent (having killed two in the past 12 hours).

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29687 on: April 19, 2019, 08:28:43 am »
I murder calculators through use so I'm less inclined to actually use a vintage one. Seems like a poor investment.

I tend to only keep stuff I use around (test gear included).

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29688 on: April 19, 2019, 08:31:09 am »

I'd have said 43 years old at most.

It broke, I got a TI, HP became sufficiently cheap that I finally bought one, I wasn't so stupidly acquisitive as I am now and threw out the uninteresting old calculators.

Sent from my keyboard using FondleARodent (having killed two in the past 12 hours).
No, not at all, I went to Dovedale College in Chelmsford in 1965 and was the calculator I brought from W H Smiths for that purpose. A few years later I remember going to the UK offices of CBM to purchase its newer and more powerful brother the programmable PR100, looks completely different, even colourwise as well, it's brown. I also still have that one, rechargeable and needs a new battery pack one day when I have nothing more interesting to do. [emoji41]

« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 08:39:35 am by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29689 on: April 19, 2019, 08:39:25 am »
Much as having a Calculator on the desk is 'nice' I have a phone with a nice app/scientific Calc and so does my PC  :-// Bench Real Estate is hard to find why add more clutter? My original Uni used Sharp might have to be found and sold seems some idiot might want one  :palm: eBay auction: #282979974302

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29690 on: April 19, 2019, 08:49:02 am »
I murder calculators through use so I'm less inclined to actually use a vintage one. Seems like a poor investment.

I tend to only keep stuff I use around (test gear included).
I doubt any calculator could have as much use as my Commodore, maybe it lasted this long as opposed to your, I presume, HPs might well be due to differance of the buttons. From experience, HP ones need a reasonable amount of force to make contact and they click and exert pressure on the pcb. The Commodore by comparison is silent, easy to press and nicely sprung and thus passes zero pressure onto the pcb.

Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29691 on: April 19, 2019, 08:58:14 am »
Much as having a Calculator on the desk is 'nice' I have a phone with a nice app/scientific Calc and so does my PC  :-// Bench Real Estate is hard to find why add more clutter? My original Uni used Sharp might have to be found and sold seems some idiot might want one  :palm: eBay auction: #282979974302

Yep, I have a Sharp PC1211 (not sure the number is correct), I also have at least another Sharp pocket pc and a Casio one that has built-in programs for electrical calculations. The first computer I owned was that PC1211 around 38 years ago. I modded it to run off the batteries in the docking station as the button cells were expensive at the time.

Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29692 on: April 19, 2019, 09:30:40 am »
Can someone please persuade me I need an HP 3310A and an 5316A  :-DD

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #29693 on: April 19, 2019, 09:36:13 am »
Re HP calculator keyboards, as an HP calculator collector nut - they were sold as an accessory for test equipment! I have never come across pcb flex - fracture issues. The front pcbs on the classics and up to the 41cv typically have a 4 to 5 plastic welds along each row of buttons.
The most common button issue is 'coffee' and a IPA wash often solves that.
Re the battery for the 45, some ebay guy has a 3x AAA holder that I like - bit over priced for what it is.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F223456768636
Rob
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #29694 on: April 19, 2019, 09:40:43 am »
Can someone please persuade me I need an HP 3310A and an 5316A  :-DD

You need an HP 3310A and a 5316A.

(Was that too much?)

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #29695 on: April 19, 2019, 09:41:23 am »

Yup.

Not very likely to be found by google and the TekScopes mob.

Or add it to 2465B Teardown thread.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #29696 on: April 19, 2019, 09:43:19 am »

And then double it at least for an Antenna would see you in the Dog House for an extended period  ;)

Riddle me this Tek heads. Refooting of the 453 is done and I went looking for the lost Graticules and found there was a fine mesh screen in front of the CRT (now cleaned). In the bits box was the Glass version as pictured with the mesh beside it. Is the mesh 'normal' and can the scale be better illuminated or do I just go with the glass?

I don't know what that mesh is for.  :-// Perhaps it's part of a camera mount?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #29697 on: April 19, 2019, 09:48:28 am »
The 4x attenuator is like a ping pong ball. First Jersey City distribution which is south of me. Then to Springfield which is north of me. Now to local distribution in Newburgh. It should be to my PO this morning and delivered today. Notice I said "should be".  :palm:

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #29698 on: April 19, 2019, 09:49:09 am »
The HP 5316 has one of the best LED display - really jumps out.
The specs on a 5334b are pretty hot.
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29699 on: April 19, 2019, 09:51:49 am »

I don't know what that mesh is for.  :-// Perhaps it's part of a camera mount?

The Mesh filter provided with the 453 provides sheilding against radiated RFI and also serves as a light filter making the trace more visible in high ambient light ....

Smacks of marketing wank to me as it makes the trace more dull and the gradicules near invisible  :-//

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf