Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14549789 times)

ProtonFox, powerflux and 22 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #29950 on: April 23, 2019, 04:33:02 am »
I have just committed Beanicide . Male Multitasking FAIL  :palm:

More consumption of the finished product a short ride on the pushie then clean up the partially roasted mess covering a large portion of the shack floor .....
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #29951 on: April 23, 2019, 04:49:41 am »
The parts donor 53310A I picked up just for the OCXO option was not as dead as the seller made it out to be.  Just needed some caps in the power supply.  Repair successful and wont have to worry about the caps for another 25 years.  All Rubycon ZLH series (nothing but the good stuff).  I ordered enough parts to re-cap my primary 53310A, will have to pull it apart soon, I'm sure it's just a matter of time.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 05:03:56 am by kj7e »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, worsthorse, beanflying, PrecisionAnalytic, nixiefreqq

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #29952 on: April 23, 2019, 05:01:27 am »
Anyone with a Tek 2465B parts mule they can spare the case from for Dave's fixer up ?

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/eevblog-1203-repair-tektronix-2465b-oscilloscope/
I have one 2465 parts mule, but kindof wanted the case to protect it during my move in a couple months. And shipping to Oz will be painful. And I don't know if the shell is the same or not; I do know the back cover is different to accommodate the 8020 axial fan they upgraded to for the 2465B. Can anybody confirm?

That said... if nobody closer steps up in a week or two, I'll send him mine.  :-+

mnem
 :popcorn:
Wait for few days until I'm back home, as I own 2465B and 2465, will compare & report back.

Do me a favor if you will; as well as checking to see that the air holes are laid out the same, please also check that the overall shell length is the same. I vaguely remember reading that there were two models where the case appears identical, except one revision is approx 8mm longer. I can't remember if that was this family of scopes or not.

Cheers,

mnem
*Toddling off to ded*

Roger, will do full comparison shots side by side on both, especially on the vent holes formations.

Btw, at Dave's video where he stacked both, looks like both whole bodies lengths are identical, I guess the case/shell length is also the same, but anyway, I will measure them once I'm home.

Offline grizewald

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #29953 on: April 23, 2019, 05:50:19 am »
Ah yes that was the stupid moobag who burned "The HP Way". I remember back in 99 when she ended up top. We'd just bought about a million quid's worth of HP 9000 N-class Unix kit and got very worried. She burned the entire sales and support chain and the kit was gone in two years replaced with COTS Intel stuff running SQL Server

I spent most of the early 90s to the early 2000s implementing multi-million dollar systems based on HP 9000 kit. I cut my UNIX teeth on HP-UX. Even in a little country like Sweden, the HP support people were absolutely first class. They knew their kit and the operating system inside out. True professionals who very obviously enjoyed their jobs and were proud to work for HP. On the first system I worked with, we started experiencing kernel panics at seemingly random times - pretty scary when your system is trying to process bill payments for an entire country! Anyway, the local support guys got in touch with the HP-UX gurus back in the States and sent them our crash dumps. 24 hours later, they came back with a fixed kernel and a detailed description of what had happened. It turned out to be partly our fault and partly HP's. We had a problem in a subsystem which managed shared memory and ended up trying to free an already freed area of memory. HP's problem was that the kernel tried to honour our request instead of sending back an error.

I don't know many companies today which could analyse a crash dump and return a fixed kernel in 24 hours.

Within a year of Fiorina taking over, the great tech support guys were all gone, as was the competence, support and everything else which made the HP servers a no-brainer decision for our application. By 2003, all our systems had moved to Windoze and the company never implemented anything on any UNIX again.

That time also marked the beginning of a long and painful decline in the company I worked for then. They ended up being swallowed up by an Indian company who has no experience or competence in the old company's market. At the time this rot set in, the guy who was CTO had just started sending development work to India. I remember commenting to him at the time that outsourcing work to India when there were much more experienced and professional developers available locally was a mistake, both technically and from a social point of view, but he'd already caught the 'shareholders come first' disease.

Looking back on all this is rather sad. :(
  Lord of Sealand

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #29954 on: April 23, 2019, 06:45:16 am »
The parts donor 53310A I picked up just for the OCXO option was not as dead as the seller made it out to be.  Just needed some caps in the power supply.  Repair successful and wont have to worry about the caps for another 25 years.  All Rubycon ZLH series (nothing but the good stuff).  I ordered enough parts to re-cap my primary 53310A, will have to pull it apart soon, I'm sure it's just a matter of time.

So you encountered the same thing as I did recently with a 465B. Purchase one being sold as "parts only" so it will be a parts mule. Discover it only needs some minor work to get it running. Now have 2.  :-+ 
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: kj7e

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #29955 on: April 23, 2019, 06:54:13 am »
Anyone with a Tek 2465B parts mule they can spare the case from for Dave's fixer up ?

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/eevblog-1203-repair-tektronix-2465b-oscilloscope/
I have one 2465 parts mule, but kindof wanted the case to protect it during my move in a couple months. And shipping to Oz will be painful. And I don't know if the shell is the same or not; I do know the back cover is different to accommodate the 8020 axial fan they upgraded to for the 2465B. Can anybody confirm?

That said... if nobody closer steps up in a week or two, I'll send him mine.  :-+

mnem
 :popcorn:
Wait for few days until I'm back home, as I own 2465B and 2465, will compare & report back.

Do me a favor if you will; as well as checking to see that the air holes are laid out the same, please also check that the overall shell length is the same. I vaguely remember reading that there were two models where the case appears identical, except one revision is approx 8mm longer. I can't remember if that was this family of scopes or not.

Cheers,

mnem
*Toddling off to ded*

Roger, will do full comparison shots side by side on both, especially on the vent holes formations.

Btw, at Dave's video where he stacked both, looks like both whole bodies lengths are identical, I guess the case/shell length is also the same, but anyway, I will measure them once I'm home.

I believe the cases themselves are identical including all ventilation slots but agreed it's best to make sure. The plastic rear cover will definitely be different because of the change in fan type.

I just realized that I also have a spare 2430 case that in height and width is identical. But is at least 2 inches longer. But the show stopper is the vent holes. Completely different including holes for a fan on the side of the case. If a 2465 were installed in this case the hybrids and U800 on the main board would definitely run hot.  :--

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #29956 on: April 23, 2019, 07:06:42 am »
Ah yes that was the stupid moobag who burned "The HP Way". I remember back in 99 when she ended up top. We'd just bought about a million quid's worth of HP 9000 N-class Unix kit and got very worried. She burned the entire sales and support chain and the kit was gone in two years replaced with COTS Intel stuff running SQL Server

I spent most of the early 90s to the early 2000s implementing multi-million dollar systems based on HP 9000 kit. I cut my UNIX teeth on HP-UX. Even in a little country like Sweden, the HP support people were absolutely first class. They knew their kit and the operating system inside out. True professionals who very obviously enjoyed their jobs and were proud to work for HP. On the first system I worked with, we started experiencing kernel panics at seemingly random times - pretty scary when your system is trying to process bill payments for an entire country! Anyway, the local support guys got in touch with the HP-UX gurus back in the States and sent them our crash dumps. 24 hours later, they came back with a fixed kernel and a detailed description of what had happened. It turned out to be partly our fault and partly HP's. We had a problem in a subsystem which managed shared memory and ended up trying to free an already freed area of memory. HP's problem was that the kernel tried to honour our request instead of sending back an error.

I don't know many companies today which could analyse a crash dump and return a fixed kernel in 24 hours.

Within a year of Fiorina taking over, the great tech support guys were all gone, as was the competence, support and everything else which made the HP servers a no-brainer decision for our application. By 2003, all our systems had moved to Windoze and the company never implemented anything on any UNIX again.

That time also marked the beginning of a long and painful decline in the company I worked for then. They ended up being swallowed up by an Indian company who has no experience or competence in the old company's market. At the time this rot set in, the guy who was CTO had just started sending development work to India. I remember commenting to him at the time that outsourcing work to India when there were much more experienced and professional developers available locally was a mistake, both technically and from a social point of view, but he'd already caught the 'shareholders come first' disease.

I could go on for hours on how I watched my company (IBM) go from one of the best people oriented companies (respect for the individual, practice of full employment) to just mediocre where "shareholder value" was god and the people were just a number to be slashed as required. I'm sure both Thomas Watson Sr and Jr are spinning in their graves seeing what they built fall into disrepair. But at this point as far as I'm concerned I only care they remain solvent enough to keep paying me that pension.  :-//   

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #29957 on: April 23, 2019, 07:20:20 am »

So you encountered the same thing as I did recently with a 465B. Purchase one being sold as "parts only" so it will be a parts mule. Discover it only needs some minor work to get it running. Now have 2.  :-+

How do they perform toward the top end of their bandwidth? I have been keeping an eye out for a Scope toward 500MHz which is OTT for what I really need so one of these might do me nicely for the occasional use I need it for and save me a few Pesos.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #29958 on: April 23, 2019, 07:25:07 am »
Unable to sleep, so I set to cleaning up the front panel of the 7904A. Overall not bad at all, but definitely some grunge and grime in crevices and a few nasty spots of old adhesive. Also got some grunge out of the knurling on a few knobs, mainly on the 7A26 amplifier. Also cleaned the blue filter and and removed an annoying stuck on bit of grunge from the implosion shield. Now that I've unstuck the variable control on the 7B15 delaying timebase, she's looking and performing great. The only thing left to do is compensate the 7A26, but I'm saving that job for another day based on what I heard from med.  :-+
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 07:28:35 am by 0culus »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Neomys Sapiens, PrecisionAnalytic, nixiefreqq

Offline PrecisionAnalytic

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #29959 on: April 23, 2019, 07:50:34 am »
I remember commenting to him at the time that outsourcing work to India when there were much more experienced and professional developers available locally was a mistake, both technically and from a social point of view, but he'd already caught the 'shareholders come first' disease.

Right.  Quality is Number One was the mission when I started where I had worked for about 9 years.  Now I read there are five pillars and headquarters are in Ireland.  Stock tanked... though driving up I was already aware of the ethics of business where basically I was asked to go into the Honors Accounting program when I was working on my second B.S. since I was more vocal about wanting to go into Marketing or Finance which to me is the sales of either the products/service or the accounting financial instruments and books. 

Basically, my advisers were thinking correct and inspired me to think less greedily since if I mastered accounting I could do all the sales stuff too.  I'd be better being a Comptroller and going from there. 

Made me think more how Corporate Finance is more sales of the business tangible assets and really now days since not as regulated... almost like a cult ministry professing where you can evangelize about the business to buy in stakeholders/shareholders to invest whether the financial metrics are excellent or pathetic.  Strange having that more ethical moment at the time (not now days)... though coordinated with my baptism into the Wesleyan Church and Leadership more higher level (even though I rejected quality or operation management trainee offers) in alternative technology project leadership.

Crazy, though how corrupt ministries can lead people into Jonestown Massacre type scenarios where I even wondered during my first B.S. degree studies if the internationalization of the U.S. starting in the 1980's was being a bad role model to allow more foreign interests that aren't considering survival requirements more thoroughly or if are... are only considering for their nations of certain selective people groups interests and not on a National jurisdiction level since the inbreed countries seem to have that hierarchy more clearly standard.  Of course now there is a most distinct socio-economic division of wealth and resources in the U.S. with more materialistic luxury toxic stuff and what seems like mass sterilization or something if at least by homosexuality or neuter programming.  Annoying really more than sad to me.  Pisses me off!  |O   :wtf:    :-//   

The "looks like... sounds like thugs..." "ew, ew, ew" "eek, eek, eek" took over.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #29960 on: April 23, 2019, 08:39:25 am »
Unable to sleep, so I set to cleaning up the front panel of the 7904A. Overall not bad at all, but definitely some grunge and grime in crevices and a few nasty spots of old adhesive. Also got some grunge out of the knurling on a few knobs, mainly on the 7A26 amplifier. Also cleaned the blue filter and and removed an annoying stuck on bit of grunge from the implosion shield. Now that I've unstuck the variable control on the 7B15 delaying timebase, she's looking and performing great. The only thing left to do is compensate the 7A26, but I'm saving that job for another day based on what I heard from med.  :-+

Don't fear the compensation. Just do it!  :-DD You will probably get lucky and it just needs one or two tweaks and done.  :-+

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #29961 on: April 23, 2019, 08:59:45 am »
I just found my parts mule. According to the listing doesn't power up. Also has some knob damage. But the attenuator deck switches appear to be in good shape externally. Hopefully at least one of them is OK internally.

It's a little bit more than I wanted to spend for a parts mule but what the hell. It's only money. And I won't feel bad stripping it down for parts.  :P

The following users thanked this post: worsthorse

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29962 on: April 23, 2019, 09:28:39 am »
That's not a bad price. I've paid that for a mule several times. In fact all my good ones were mules!  :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #29963 on: April 23, 2019, 09:32:34 am »
Yea, I figured I'm not going to find one cheaper than that so I jumped on it.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29964 on: April 23, 2019, 09:45:03 am »
Morning everyone, UPS has been and delivered my filters, now I have a small problem, the old ones are fitted with a 1M resister across the incoming mains supply but the new replacements aren't. I did if there was one inside of the can but a quick check reveals that not to be so. Should I refit this to the new filters as I swap them out or is this deemed not to be required now? I attach photos of the old and new filters and also the page from the SMM that shows the 1m resistor as well. Any thoughts on whether this should be refitted or omitted?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29965 on: April 23, 2019, 09:52:41 am »
The 1M resistor is to discharge the X2 (across line) capacitor inside the filter when you unplug it. You don't need it. Just don't touch the pins on the connector from the outside for a few second! Stings a bit. The metcal bites me occasionally doing this.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29966 on: April 23, 2019, 10:01:41 am »
That's what I thought but how many people go around stuffing fingers in the inlet, er, you do apparently for one  :-DD Seriously, these are not going to be unplugged, they will static on my wall of meters sitting on the shelf above the bench, so I'll leave them as they are and transfer the earth leads over, thanks for confirming my suspicions.

Hows your elbow this morning, if its anything like my sons knee cap it will be slow to repair itself and painful for a long time so make sure you have plenty of pain killers handy. Personally I find that the Deep Heat cream is quite good if you can put up with the smell of it. 

Edit. Today we will crack another 100th page and be on 1200 or more by the close of play tonight. :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #29967 on: April 23, 2019, 10:04:05 am »
That's what I thought but how many people go around stuffing fingers in the inlet, er, you do apparently for one  :-DD

Yes he does, on purpose.  :-DD :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29968 on: April 23, 2019, 10:08:20 am »
That's what I thought but how many people go around stuffing fingers in the inlet, er, you do apparently for one  :-DD

Maybe that explains why he also loves to blow things up  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #29969 on: April 23, 2019, 10:11:41 am »

That's a chicken/egg dilemma because apparently he was blowing things up before he enjoyed shocking himself.  :P :P :-DD 

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #29970 on: April 23, 2019, 12:06:12 pm »
   I have just committed Beanicide . Male Multitasking FAIL  :palm:

More consumption of the finished product a short ride on the pushie then clean up the partially roasted mess covering a large portion of the shack floor .....

OH, THE BEAN-ANITY!!!     

mnem
Please... think of the poor flavonoids!!!  :-DD
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 12:40:10 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29971 on: April 23, 2019, 12:19:36 pm »
That's what I thought but how many people go around stuffing fingers in the inlet, er, you do apparently for one  :-DD Seriously, these are not going to be unplugged, they will static on my wall of meters sitting on the shelf above the bench, so I'll leave them as they are and transfer the earth leads over, thanks for confirming my suspicions.

When this one bites you it's usually when I run out of sockets and have to move things around. I pull the mains lead out then accidentally touch the prongs. It's a pretty minor ping but unpleasant. Makes you drop the plug!

Hows your elbow this morning, if its anything like my sons knee cap it will be slow to repair itself and painful for a long time so make sure you have plenty of pain killers handy. Personally I find that the Deep Heat cream is quite good if you can put up with the smell of it. 

Better actually. Can't fully extend or contract it but the swelling has gone down a bit. I think this one might be a quicker recovery than your son's knee. Naproxin FTW although it's making me feel sick. I'm still going to try and hit the radio rally in Andover on Sunday and have Avengers Endgame booked on Thursday which I will Uber myself to :D

Settling in this evening to catch up on crap films. First we have Velocipastor: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1843303/

Edit: HP 3310A is apparently arriving in the next 3 hours  :-+

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29972 on: April 23, 2019, 12:36:24 pm »

Yeah.... ever notice how sometimes a just turns :-DD

Tasty!  :-+

*Jealous not only of these delicious boat anchors, but the space to live with them*

That's a chicken/egg dilemma because apparently he was blowing things up before he enjoyed shocking himself.  :P :P :-DD

I'll just refer you both to "The 10 11 Laws of TEA"...

11. Masochism is endemic, perhaps even mandatory.
    :-DD

mnem
"A little pleasure.... a little pain... it's a-a-all good." *sigh of delight* ~me
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29973 on: April 23, 2019, 12:55:41 pm »

When this one bites you it's usually when I run out of sockets and have to move things around. I pull the mains lead out then accidentally touch the prongs. It's a pretty minor ping but unpleasant. Makes you drop the plug!

Better actually. Can't fully extend or contract it but the swelling has gone down a bit. I think this one might be a quicker recovery than your son's knee. Naproxin FTW although it's making me feel sick. I'm still going to try and hit the radio rally in Andover on Sunday and have Avengers Endgame booked on Thursday which I will Uber myself to :D

Settling in this evening to catch up on crap films. First we have Velocipastor: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1843303/

Edit: HP 3310A is apparently arriving in the next 3 hours  :-+

@spec - Of course your question is rhetorical; it clearly wouldn't take but a minute to transfer the entire harness over to the new filter. So then comes the question of motivation... I suspect you more wanted validation of your "meh" proclivities than actual technical advice.  ;)

@med: "Only slightly more predatory than regular priests!!!"   :-DD

mnem

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #29974 on: April 23, 2019, 01:52:39 pm »

My attitude is to minimise the use of painkillers during the day, but dose myself at night for a good sleep. The exception to that is if minimising swelling will aid recovery, in which case I'll take paracetamol/ibuprofen.

Don't forget you can take a max dose of ibuprofen plus a max dose of paracetamol, since they have different metabolic pathways. Be aware that the max dose of paracetamol has been reduced from 90 to 65mg/kg of body weight, so 4*2 tablets can be a bit dicey if you are small.

What happens if you exceed that? Well, paracetamol is extremely safe up to a limit; beyond that the bodies' metabolic pathway is saturated and so a different metabolioc pathway kicks in. The latter creates formaldehyde, which is bad news for the liver!

Maybe I've been lucky or insensate, but even after an operation I haven't had to use the tramadol they've sent home with me.

As for Andover, what would happen if you get there and your elbow strongly suggests you shouldn't drive back?
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf