Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14552743 times)

Qw3rtzuiop, ch_scr, TizianoHV and 28 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline grizewald

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #30000 on: April 23, 2019, 09:00:40 pm »
Ding!

Views: 1281227 (or thereabouts)
Page: 601

Bugger! If I'd looked at the last message number before I posted I'd have waited a bit...

Good catch!
  Lord of Sealand

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #30001 on: April 23, 2019, 09:03:01 pm »
First one of the 7150 Plus meters is fitted with its new filter and has been test now 75 minutes and it would appear to be in pretty good condition as regard to its DC Volts calibration as this photos shows, ...
The curse of precision. This trio are nearly in agreement, but it varies from range to range. Of course, my voltage source isn't calibrated either.

Getting even one of them properly calibrated and adjusted would probably cost more than I paid for the entire contents of my messy bench.

What's a man to do?  :-// 

Clearly you need another, similar meter meter with even more digits to measure the varying voltage drops from each meter to the source.  :-DD

mnem
*107% Bastard-dwagon*  >:D
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 09:08:11 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: grizewald

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30002 on: April 23, 2019, 09:07:10 pm »
Nah, you mericans have got it all wrong, life is precious and is worth saving, you should all campaign for better from your governments, after all, you can't work to pay your taxes unless you're fit and well. No work, no pay, no spending, no profits, no taxes and that vicious circle could be stopped if your health system was like our NHS, free at the point of delivery.

It's not that "we the people" haven't campaigned; and it's not that "we the people" haven't voted for such measures every every chance we get. It's that the votes are counted by the same corrupt motherfuckers who've been bought by and who are selling us all by the pound to the corporations that we still treat like God over here.  :palm:

mnem
It doesn't matter who votes; it matters who counts the votes.
Yes yes we know all that and by the way things are going over here, we'll be joining you in that cess pit before much longer as well I fear. I don't think that we have anything else left to privatise. :rant:

You have no idea how much lower you can go. We're inventing new ways to sell out over here every BLEEEEP!!!-ing day.  :palm:

mnem
"Would you like flies widdat?"

alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30003 on: April 23, 2019, 09:15:32 pm »
Ding!

Views: 1281227 (or thereabouts)
Page: 601

Bugger! If I'd looked at the last message number before I posted I'd have waited a bit...

Good catch!
Apart from one tiny detail, those of us who have left the forum defaults as set up, the actual page count is 1201 not 601, everything else is 100% kosher though, anyone got some smelling salts, bitseeker just fainted.  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30004 on: April 23, 2019, 09:21:29 pm »
Wait'll he sees what's waiting for him at his local PO...  >:D

mnem
No idea how THAT got in there...

Offline grizewald

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30005 on: April 23, 2019, 09:29:09 pm »
First one of the 7150 Plus meters is fitted with its new filter and has been test now 75 minutes and it would appear to be in pretty good condition as regard to its DC Volts calibration as this photos shows, ...
The curse of precision. This trio are nearly in agreement, but it varies from range to range. Of course, my voltage source isn't calibrated either.

Getting even one of them properly calibrated and adjusted would probably cost more than I paid for the entire contents of my messy bench.

What's a man to do?  :-// 

Clearly you need another, similar meter meter with even more digits to measure the varying voltage drops from each meter to the source.  :-DD

mnem
*107% Bastard-dwagon*  >:D

100% volt nut enabling dwagon! 

I'm sure that once I've fixed the 7151 that's in bits on my bench, that will disagree in a different direction and by different amounts to the others depending on range.

So, who has a calibrated Solartron 7081 or an HP 3458A going cheap?

:-DD
  Lord of Sealand

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30006 on: April 23, 2019, 09:30:36 pm »
Update on the 7150 meters I brought at auction last week, both have now had their mains filters swapped out after one spewed up last week releasing its toxic magic bleeding smoke.

Both of these meters running for some hours now, along with other main meters and it seems that one is calibrated well and the other is still good enough for my requirements seeing as its about 1mV high on the 10v range. I'll have to look in more depth in the SMM but I don't think that it's a meter that I can calibrate with my gear, its software driven I think.

I have to strip them down again in a few days when the parts arrive to provide better LCD illumination so I'll check on the rail voltage for each range then as these I can control via a few trim-pots. Otherwise it would need a full re-calibration by someone else. As these photos show, It would seem that I got a pretty good deal overall as these meter have been going on eBay over the last few months for around £200 each, way more than I paid including all fees for them both, so I'm very pleased. :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: med6753, bd139, grizewald

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #30007 on: April 23, 2019, 09:32:59 pm »
Apart from one tiny detail, those of us who have left the forum defaults as set up, the actual page count is 1201 not 601,

I think that, as they say, you are confusing me with someone that gives a damn. :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30008 on: April 23, 2019, 09:37:17 pm »
Wait'll he sees what's waiting for him at his local PO...  >:D

mnem
No idea how THAT got in there...
Gosh, is that how you managed to clear your garage, piled it all into a shipping container and posted it to him, wait what was that, there's an excess postage charge to be paid before they will release it to him, hope his bank is understanding  :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline grizewald

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30009 on: April 23, 2019, 09:42:10 pm »
That's a great haul Specmaster!

I wonder if the one which reads a little high is running hotter than the other one, what with it sitting on top of the 8840 and the other one sitting on the unpowered 3468A?
  Lord of Sealand

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30010 on: April 23, 2019, 09:43:55 pm »
Hows your elbow this morning, if its anything like my sons knee cap it will be slow to repair itself and painful for a long time so make sure you have plenty of pain killers handy. Personally I find that the Deep Heat cream is quite good if you can put up with the smell of it. 

Better actually. Can't fully extend or contract it but the swelling has gone down a bit. I think this one might be a quicker recovery than your son's knee. Naproxin FTW although it's making me feel sick. I'm still going to try and hit the radio rally in Andover on Sunday and have Avengers Endgame booked on Thursday which I will Uber myself to :D

My attitude is to minimise the use of painkillers during the day, but dose myself at night for a good sleep. The exception to that is if minimising swelling will aid recovery, in which case I'll take paracetamol/ibuprofen.

Don't forget you can take a max dose of ibuprofen plus a max dose of paracetamol, since they have different metabolic pathways. Be aware that the max dose of paracetamol has been reduced from 90 to 65mg/kg of body weight, so 4*2 tablets can be a bit dicey if you are small.

What happens if you exceed that? Well, paracetamol is extremely safe up to a limit; beyond that the bodies' metabolic pathway is saturated and so a different metabolioc pathway kicks in. The latter creates formaldehyde, which is bad news for the liver!

Maybe I've been lucky or insensate, but even after an operation I haven't had to use the tramadol they've sent home with me.

As for Andover, what would happen if you get there and your elbow strongly suggests you shouldn't drive back?

Yes I do the same. I'm actually dropping the naproxin as of this evening's dose and going down to 400mg normal ibuprofen. Once in morning once at night. Paracetamol doesn't work on me at all.

Got some 30/500 co-codamol in the cupboard for emergencies. Couple of them and you could fight a ninja off with your bloody stumps.

As for the Andover, I will see how I feel on the morning. At the moment it's a no but the objective is to keep mobile until that date. Last time I did something like this I was operating normally apart from aches after 4 days. Fortunately it's not that bad so far and getting better rapidly. Been doing light stretching exercises hourly. Also my cousin lives in Andover and I'm going there anyway so I'll crash on the sofa for the night.

Injury shall not defeat the TE addiction though. 3310A arrived and is unpacked and opened for inspection. All this is done with one hand as it's a nice HP chassis that's easy to get into. My eldest got it out of the box. Whole thing is complete and in excellent condition. No sign of any trouble. No bad capacitors. Works perfectly! SN and date codes point to 1984 which is a bit later than I thought. Probably near the end of the line for this little function generator.

Insides

Comes with full original service manual with pull out schematics! Binding was shattered but that can be replaced.

Sitting on the bench. Calibration is pretty good and stability is excellent.

That is a thing of beauty, you certainly cracked the jackpot with this one. I looks like its had a very easy life.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30011 on: April 23, 2019, 10:01:26 pm »
Yeah, tomorrow he's gonna show up with a pristine 200a... the bastahd.  :-DD

mnem
Yes, you may touch it.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30012 on: April 23, 2019, 10:07:58 pm »
That's a great haul Specmaster!

I wonder if the one which reads a little high is running hotter than the other one, what with it sitting on top of the 8840 and the other one sitting on the unpowered 3468A?

Not at all, it was reading high when it was sitting on the bench on its own and there has been no significant change in the reading where it is now to the bench or indeed if I move it over to being on top of the other 7150. I'm fairly confident that it still meets its original specification overall and is like yours, certainly good enough for everyday use. I don't know about you but I generally round it of to the second decimal place anyway as nothing I do needs to be more accurate then that. I just love to see loads of digits on a display, the extra digits are useful to display a trend earlier then you be able to spot it on a normal 3.5 digit meter, or as Dave will tell you, in tracking down short circuits on large PCB's.
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: grizewald

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30013 on: April 23, 2019, 10:10:28 pm »

LOL if only. I'd buy one if I saw it :D

I can't sit still so set up a test rig. I have taken Ashhar Farhan's bitx design and started ripping it to bits over the last couple of weeks. It's getting AGC that isn't poo, electronic TR switching, 50W PA, CW transmit, audio filter, multiple bands (only 40, 80m) and no damn computers or ICs in it. Fully discrete! First half of the transmit chain works so far ...

I'm doing this without any digital crutches like the Rigol products I own :)

On to purchase list:

1. HP counter
2. HP scope
3. HP signal generator
4. HP analogue voltmeter (427A)

Am I a fanboy?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 10:13:40 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: PrecisionAnalytic

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30014 on: April 23, 2019, 10:18:59 pm »

mnem
Yes, you may touch it.
WTF is a 200a, yeah you're probably right about that he does have some good luck and he occasionally passes some of that onto me. We both have a knack of seeing beyond the crud and spot diamonds in the rough, my bench now has far better equipment on it than it did 2 years ago and some of that is down to learning from you guys here and I thank everyone who has helped me to-date and if I'm honest, I'd say that it is you and bd139 who have been the biggest influences to me and appreciate it.  :-+ :clap:
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30015 on: April 23, 2019, 10:23:17 pm »
I would just like to apologise to anyone's bank balances affected by my enthusiasm for this stuff  :-DD

HP 200A: http://hpmemoryproject.org/wa_pages/wall_a_page_01.htm

Kind of the holy grail of TE.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30016 on: April 23, 2019, 10:23:23 pm »

On to purchase list:

1. HP counter
2. HP scope
3. HP signal generator

Am I a fanboy?
You should have gone for that 1740A in Colchester the other week, I could have got it for you and met you somewhere with it.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30017 on: April 23, 2019, 10:26:03 pm »
After something slightly older if I'm honest. Without hybrids in it. Possibly HP 180 series: https://www.hpl.hp.com/hpjournal/pdfs/IssuePDFs/1966-08.pdf

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #30018 on: April 23, 2019, 10:28:56 pm »

On to purchase list:

1. HP counter
2. HP scope
3. HP signal generator

Am I a fanboy?
You should have gone for that 1740A in Colchester the other week, I could have got it for you and met you somewhere with it.

They are nice scopes with a large screen, and even have an integral 50ohm that can be paralleled with the input.

I have a soft spot for mine, since it was the first scope I got. A friend picked up a few from Birketts on spec, and I jumped on it.

I really don't know why they are cheaper than 465s, other than unthinking prejudice.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30019 on: April 23, 2019, 10:30:29 pm »
There's this one which looks pretty good. I could probably shave £20 off it. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303091513453

Comes with service manual as well.

Edit: problem with the 1740 is it's deep. I've currently got the 2225 up on the shelf above my bench where it fits rather nicely. That means I have N+1 problems again which I'm not too much of a fan of. I can squeeze a rackmount 180 up on top of the drawers where the printer currently perches.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 10:32:07 pm by bd139 »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30020 on: April 23, 2019, 10:31:16 pm »
I would just like to apologise to anyone's bank balances affected by my enthusiasm for this stuff  :-DD

Now I know what a 200A is thanks for clearing that up, I've come across that feedback technique somewhere before on You Tube, it might well have been your favourite (batten down the hatches here on this one) Paul Carson on Mr Carson's Lab.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30021 on: April 23, 2019, 10:34:29 pm »
There's this one which looks pretty good. I could probably shave £20 off it. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303091513453

Comes with service manual as well.

Edit: problem with the 1740 is it's deep. I've currently got the 2225 up on the shelf above my bench where it fits rather nicely. That means I have N+1 problems again which I'm not too much of a fan of. I can squeeze a rackmount 180 up on top of the drawers where the printer currently perches.
Yes, they are deep I grant you, but they are also so serviceable once you know your way around them. I see that one has suffered the usual HP problem, broken and missing feet.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30022 on: April 23, 2019, 10:36:02 pm »
Nah, you mericans have got it all wrong, life is precious and is worth saving, you should all campaign for better from your governments, after all, you can't work to pay your taxes unless you're fit and well. No work, no pay, no spending, no profits, no taxes and that vicious circle could be stopped if your health system was like our NHS, free at the point of delivery.
While I understand certainly the argument for change concerning the U.S. (as I do to a certain degree for their distractors), I would rather not suggest that they replace 'rotten' with 'broken'. It will not work properly until a compulsory system of insurance is coupled to any job. And payed by both parties to that contract. After that they can judge if they have enough to provide the remainder for free.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30023 on: April 23, 2019, 10:42:05 pm »

On to purchase list:

1. HP counter
2. HP scope
3. HP signal generator

Am I a fanboy?
Just saw a a fine looking one on continental Ebay.
And I don't want to dangle the 4261A before your nose, as it is sure that it will become redundant in the near future, but the timeframe is not yet decided.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30024 on: April 23, 2019, 10:50:29 pm »

Now I know what a 200A is thanks for clearing that up, I've come across that feedback technique somewhere before on You Tube, it might well have been your favourite (batten down the hatches here on this one) Paul Carson on Mr Carson's Lab.

Yup. Now you know where he snurched it from. And, indirectly, where the idea probably originated from for everybody alive who's ever used a dim-bulb tester. ;)

mnem
*Lit AF*

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf