Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14408008 times)

ondraN and 15 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #30075 on: April 24, 2019, 08:59:51 pm »

Not worse, eh? Ask the citizens of Puerto Rico about that. Or my own town (as abhorrent as it may be) of Houston... how it is that a single corrupt man can steal the Disaster Relief monies procured for both and use them to built a private militia on the border for the singular purpose of terrorizing poor brown people so they don't show up at the polls.

You're talking about the difference between Universal Healthcare and Single Payer. Single payer, essentially what you espouse, is just a BS stopgap to KEEP basic medical care for-profit. That by definition makes it literally a death sentence (for sure an early death for many) to be poor and old.

We used to understand on a fundamental level the need for basic "public services". In this age of plenty, the idea that it is somehow okay for the poor, disabled or old to die simply because they no longer make money for the privileged few is abhorrent. It is also a core principal of the corporate mentality; the idea that people are disposable but profit is not.

mnem
Just say "No thank you."
Our system is not 'single payer' but two payers. Both the employer and the employee pay into the health insurance.
If you are out of job, it is the same, except that the unemployment insurance (also mandatory for both sides) takes the place of the employer. And for pensioners, it is the same with their retirement fund.
I think that this is a good system to build upon, with a social care system taking up the remainder. And I think that it would be a sensible way to get more citizens under a sustainable insurance scheme.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #30076 on: April 24, 2019, 09:00:14 pm »
Well this is impressive. Did a how fast will it go test. This is a Tektronix 475A with the lid off here and they are a bit tetchy like that usually.
I had to twiddle with the trigger controls a bit and push the volts/div up to get it to trigger but this is quite impressive:
Frequency?
Merely 365MHz
At the rated 250MHz bandwidth it looks pretty good and totally readable and the amplitude is bang on as well.

If well set up, I'll bet it will trigger at whatever frequency causes the displayed waveform to be 0.2 divisions p-p. My 350MHz 485 reliably triggers on 0.2div high signals, even if the frequency is >1GHz.

It looks like the tunnel diodes aren't the limiting factor, but the rolloff of the input amplifiers is.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30077 on: April 24, 2019, 09:02:21 pm »

Unfortunately humans make great cows to intellectually or physically milk via corporate servitude and society organised around this. Thus we don't always get to work for a company we can ethically accept. Using Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs, which is not ideal but a reasonable abstraction, corporations seek to fulfill their existence by threatening to take the basic needs away, not by promoting personal growth and value.

Sure you can make ethical investments but the investment power of an individual is a gnat's fart in the wind. I only use investments for selfish gains so I can stop playing the aforementioned game as soon as possible.

You can do good things in corporate servitude though even if it's an Umbrella Corporation style cesspit of evil. I worked with an engineer about 20 years ago at a defence contractor. He was a fine individual, a total pacifist, a well respected "Six Sigma black belt" according to his colleagues. We had a reasonable friendship develop. On his leaving week he gave me a motivational talk in the canteen explaining that his entire successfully executed master plan was to cause a bureaucratic mess wherever he stepped burning resources, money, time and ultimately delaying the construction of things which make the world a worse place. I salute him. He died 2 years after retirement from cancer. Another lesson on corporate servitude. When the milk runs out, you're on the street.

How very true, the corporate machine has no soul or ethics, once it has milked you dry, regardless if you have made it millions in profit through an invention, once the machine has extracted what it can you're tossed away just like an empty packet.

I used to snare at people who only stayed at jobs for a couple or so years and then moved on, instead I always thought that the way to get on was to put down roots and try to become a corner stone of the company you were at and that promotion would come by the company "growing its own timber". How effing wrong was I, the only people who got promoted were people that I knew were total crap at their jobs and the biggest arse lickers going. If I had the chance to do it all again, I'd be the one doing the milking and using and moving on, climbing that corporate tree.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30078 on: April 24, 2019, 09:04:26 pm »
Our system is not 'single payer' but two payers. Both the employer and the employee pay into the health insurance.
If you are out of job, it is the same, except that the unemployment insurance (also mandatory for both sides) takes the place of the employer. And for pensioners, it is the same with their retirement fund.

Similar here, except there's no "hypothecation" since that's anathema to government. The employers pay a general tax and some proportion of that tax is used for the health service.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/hypothecation
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30079 on: April 24, 2019, 09:12:05 pm »
Well this is impressive. Did a how fast will it go test. This is a Tektronix 475A with the lid off here and they are a bit tetchy like that usually.

I had to twiddle with the trigger controls a bit and push the volts/div up to get it to trigger but this is quite impressive:

Frequency?

Merely 365MHz

At the rated 250MHz bandwidth it looks pretty good and totally readable and the amplitude is bang on as well.
You're doing well there  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30080 on: April 24, 2019, 09:17:30 pm »
I think that this is a good system to build upon, with a social care system taking up the remainder. And I think that it would be a sensible way to get more citizens under a sustainable insurance scheme.
It might well work up to a point such as someone plundering the pension schemes and thus leaving loads of pensioners without a retirement fund at all, happens all to often I'm afraid, especially here in the UK.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #30081 on: April 24, 2019, 09:46:40 pm »

Not worse, eh? Ask the citizens of Puerto Rico about that. Or my own town (as abhorrent as it may be) of Houston... how it is that a single corrupt man can steal the Disaster Relief monies procured for both and use them to built a private militia on the border for the singular purpose of terrorizing poor brown people so they don't show up at the polls.

You're talking about the difference between Universal Healthcare and Single Payer. Single payer, essentially what you espouse, is just a BS stopgap to KEEP basic medical care for-profit. That by definition makes it literally a death sentence (for sure an early death for many) to be poor and old.

We used to understand on a fundamental level the need for basic "public services". In this age of plenty, the idea that it is somehow okay for the poor, disabled or old to die simply because they no longer make money for the privileged few is abhorrent. It is also a core principal of the corporate mentality; the idea that people are disposable but profit is not.

mnem
Just say "No thank you."

You just don't get it... it is STILL Health Insurance (which is the SINGLE PAYER), therefore STILL For-Profit Healthcare. The conflict of interest here is obvious, and should be abhorrent to anybody with a soul.

mnem
No, thank you.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 11:02:25 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30082 on: April 24, 2019, 09:52:18 pm »
Frequency?
Merely 365MHz

If well set up, I'll bet it will trigger at whatever frequency causes the displayed waveform to be 0.2 divisions p-p. My 350MHz 485 reliably triggers on 0.2div high signals, even if the frequency is >1GHz.

It looks like the tunnel diodes aren't the limiting factor, but the rolloff of the input amplifiers is.

Sensible conclusion. I’ve got some MAV-11 MMIC amplifiers here so I’ll breadboard one and see if I can knock another 10dB on the signal generator output and see what happens.

I’m not really fussed about anything over 100MHz or so in the time domain if I’m honest. Just this is interesting to see

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #30083 on: April 24, 2019, 10:02:58 pm »
https://youtu.be/1wwZ8eI3jvw?t=236

Now I have a good excuse to never clean my bench...  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: kj7e

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30084 on: April 24, 2019, 10:11:48 pm »
Real nice front cover mnem.  :clap:
You need flick that 3DP file through to Bean's thread.  :)
Thanks!

Yeah, I know. I need to get him to kibbutz with me on it too; I made a fundamental eff-up on it that I only fixed after the fact, and wanted a second opinion on how to make it right. It's on my agenda for tomorrow.  :-+

mnem
*Toddles off to ded*  :=\
The other obvious question is how many hours on the bed 20+ or not  ;D

I sliced it aggro enough to withstand a "hoppin' mad tinkerdwagon"; 30% infill and 1.2mm walls. 42 hours projected, 39 hours, 32 minutes actual.   ;D

mnem
 :o
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30085 on: April 24, 2019, 10:12:33 pm »

Haha, I'm with you on that one.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #30086 on: April 24, 2019, 10:39:04 pm »
We shall. We shall. It's the first Tek scope I've owned. :-+

And that's how the descent into madness begins. The hardest part of a journey is often the first step.

Which is why I resisted as long as possible. I almost made it to the one-year mark. Oh well. ;D
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30087 on: April 24, 2019, 10:47:59 pm »

And that's how the descent into madness begins. The hardest part of a journey is often the first step.

Which is why I resisted as long as possible. I almost made it to the one-year mark. Oh well. ;D

Not long after I got my first Tek scope, I bought a third scope. While waiting for it to arrive I didn't have buyer's remorse, but I did ask people why I needed three scopes.

The only reasonable answer, which also turned out to be prescient, was "you've got to have three before you have four".

A couple of years later and I'll accept reasonable offers for recapped 2465 and 2445B :) And still have plenty left.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30088 on: April 24, 2019, 10:50:42 pm »
Was advertised as not powering up and the line cord has been cut off.

Probably better that way. If you power it up, you may be tempted to fix it. :-DD

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #30089 on: April 24, 2019, 10:51:39 pm »
Speaking oscilloscopes, I'm fixing to have a third one. This time an HP 1727 storage scope, in great shape and fully functional, from a fellow ham (and forum member I believe) in here the US. I tend to prefer Tek scopes, but hey, I couldn't resist adding one of the more advanced ones HP made to the bench.  :-+

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30090 on: April 24, 2019, 10:56:45 pm »

*In best sing-songy little kid voice* You're Welll-commmme!!!  :-DD

mnem
https://youtu.be/79DijItQXMM
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 11:00:48 pm by mnementh »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30091 on: April 24, 2019, 11:01:01 pm »
"you've got to have three before you have four"

I wonder what my fourth scope is going to be...

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #30092 on: April 24, 2019, 11:03:44 pm »

Haha, I'm with you on that one.

Sorry, he was a smart individual and will be sorely missed but I just can't work with a messy bench like that. 
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #30093 on: April 24, 2019, 11:13:00 pm »

If I include a B&K scope, RCA scope, and Siglent DSO but exclude the 3 parts mules it totals 10. Am I done? No. Do I have enough? No.  :-DD But I will be more selective in what I go after.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30094 on: April 24, 2019, 11:14:49 pm »
Well I agree a messy bench is not very help ful when your repairing something, but other then that, mine is usually a mess.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30095 on: April 24, 2019, 11:37:29 pm »
Wait, are those figures above (med6753's 10, for example) total or current?

Earlier in my life, I had a Hameg 605 (first scope) and a Hameg 208.
The 605 was sort of stolen (never returned by psycho mega-*******).
Then (before the loss, else I would not have lent it) came the unavoidable Tek465. It's still around somewhere.
Then the Philips plasma DSO (PM3088), which is down with Ch.2 aquisition error. I still intend to unload it to a Philips enthusiast. Hellooo out there!
Then a 2430A, a T202, a TDS644 and a SC503. Yes, I know this somehow calls for a 2465 or 2467.
But what I really crave is a TPO3054 (the newer one, with USB and larger display. With all modules.
Yeah, dream on.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30096 on: April 24, 2019, 11:48:33 pm »
One thing that I totally hate on Ebay:
those seemingly affordable or even bargain step attenuators, where the pictures are too bad or the label unreadable AND the manufacturer inactive or totally uncommon, where you have to dig through umpty-something pages of Froogle output just to discover that they are bloody 75Ohms! :--

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #30097 on: April 25, 2019, 12:25:53 am »
Wait, are those figures above (med6753's 10, for example) total or current?

Current.

Tek 2465
Tek 2465 DMS
Tek 2430
Tek 465B
Tek 465B/DM44
Tek 475A
Tek OS-245(P)/U
B&K 2120
RCA WO-505A
Siglent SDS-1052DL

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #30098 on: April 25, 2019, 12:57:44 am »
It is a Tek device without a part number. A very well made adjustable RC filter, with a corner frequency between 40 and 200 MHz, though the response is pretty awful above 100 MHz.  It was in a box with a bunch of calibration fixtures, so I am guessing it is that sort of device, but what the hell do you use it for?  [head scratching gif goes here]

My guess would be a scope normaliser (can have several different names). The schematic of one for a scope with a 20pF input is shown below, and I'm sure you can find the manual!

That's a reasonable guess. I have a couple of the "RC normalizer" modules in the pile. Will treat it as such unless I find a better answer. Off to look at photos on the tek wiki to see if I can find a part number.
specialization is for insects.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30099 on: April 25, 2019, 01:49:04 am »

If I include a B&K scope, RCA scope, and Siglent DSO but exclude the 3 parts mules it totals 10. Am I done? No. Do I have enough? No.  :-DD But I will be more selective in what I go after.

Enough? No. You don't have 20 oscilloscopes, yet. :popcorn:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf