Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14405651 times)

med6753, K0ELB and 21 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #30175 on: April 26, 2019, 09:03:09 am »
There is one thing shared between TEA and women's shoes: issues with feet. :-DD
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #30176 on: April 26, 2019, 09:22:46 am »
What is it with women and shoes? My lady copper must have more shoes than Imelda Marcos ever had. Once time she mail ordered some shoes and had them sent here. At least 5 pairs of the SAME shoe in different colors.  :scared:

I don't know what's with it, but I'm not going to attempt to solve it. Without it, there's no TEA. "What do you mean, another multimeter? This one has a different {display|range|feature|bezel|bumper|foot|knob|color} than the others!"

This is an issue that is unknown to me. There is no tit for tat shoes vs TEA in this household. It's TEA all the way.  :-+ :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30177 on: April 26, 2019, 10:22:25 am »
Ok so no SA + TG required now. I managed to frig up a rat's nest to do the job.

3310A 0-18V sweep output -> [ Tek 2225 X input + TF2015 sweep input ]
3310A sync output -> Tek 2225 Z input for blanking
TF2015 RF output -> 3dB attenuator -> filter -> AD8307 power sensor -> Tek 2225 Y input
6284A -> AD8307 power sensor

Have to sweep this really slow or the TF2015 oscillates wildly  :palm:

Output. Horizontal is 10MHz/div starting at 70MHz on the left. Vertical is 4dB/division.

Setup is good to 500MHz  :-+

With an SA + TG all I do is connect the filter between the TG/out ports and press a button. Is the laziness worth the money?

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, kj7e, Neomys Sapiens, beanflying

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30178 on: April 26, 2019, 10:30:20 am »

OK, I'll offer a compromise by listing the models, but spare you the quantities. >:D

B+K/Dynascan 177
Cen-Tech 69096 (everyone's favorite "free" DMM)
Fluke 8100A
Greenlee DM-820A
HPAK 3456A
HPAK 3469A
HPAK 3478A
HPAK 34401A
HPAK 34410A
HPAK U1252A
HPAK U1272A
HPAK U1282A
Keithley 160
Keithley 196
Keithley 2700
Uni-T UT210E

Do electrometers count? ;D

Ok, likewise, no quantities given  >:D

Fluke 25
Fluke 27
Fluke 8840A
Fluke 8842A
HP 3466A
HP 3468A
HP 3478A
Proster VC97
Kew 1503
Robin OM840
Avo Mk8
TMK 700
Kyoritsu K1400
Bside ADM08A
Solartron 7150 Plus
TMK 500
Iotech UA6243L
Uni-T UT210E
Iso-Tech LCR1705
Philips PM2521

I never knew that you have a Keithley 160, I had one of those  for a while but it hardly got used so I flipped as is a bit big although nowhere near as big as your 196.

Your Greenlee DM-820A is in fact a Brymen 827s

EDIT:
missed off my list  :palm:
Brymen BM867
Metrix MX52

« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 10:50:14 am by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30179 on: April 26, 2019, 10:39:30 am »
Ok so no SA + TG required now. I managed to frig up a rat's nest to do the job.

3310A 0-18V sweep output -> [ Tek 2225 X input + TF2015 sweep input ]
3310A sync output -> Tek 2225 Z input for blanking
TF2015 RF output -> 3dB attenuator -> filter -> AD8307 power sensor -> Tek 2225 Y input
6284A -> AD8307 power sensor

Have to sweep this really slow or the TF2015 oscillates wildly  :palm:

Output. Horizontal is 10MHz/div starting at 70MHz on the left. Vertical is 4dB/division.

Setup is good to 500MHz  :-+

With an SA + TG all I do is connect the filter between the TG/out ports and press a button. Is the laziness worth the money?
Unless you need to use it a lot, then probably not. well done, I'd have zero idea what to do with a SA let alone how to cobble one together like you have, much a respect to you man. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30180 on: April 26, 2019, 11:43:28 am »
This is not an SA but a cheap arse way of doing filter sweeps. SA is much more useful and does all the measurements for you. SA is better for filter design, oscillator performance measurement, mixer performance analysis and general RF design work than a scope.

One problem I need to solve is crystal filter design. This is a bastard with a scope and signal generator as the bandwidth of the filter I designed is only 400Hz. Even with the DG1022Z it’s difficult.

Think of the shitty FFT on a scope then make that span 0-1.5GHz and not be crap basically :)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 11:44:59 am by bd139 »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30181 on: April 26, 2019, 12:18:37 pm »
You seem to be coping very well with your elbow, my son was told today he has another 2 to 3 months of physio to go yet.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

Who let Murphy in?

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30182 on: April 26, 2019, 12:39:17 pm »
Update on the Solartron 7150 meters.

Ran some extensive tests on their calibration and I'm pleased to say that are both within acceptable limits of calibration, one will need a re-cal soon I think and the good news is that I could do it myself via the front push buttons, just like the HP3468A and 3478A meters so that's an advantage.

The other issues with both meters, apart from the dodgy filter units, now replaced, was the LCD displays could be difficult to read in some light conditions. The display did have some yellow inefficient LEDs and they could only be seen in the middle of the night with the lights off, (the camera actually made these appear far better then they were in reality), not a good idea to work with no lights  :-DD.

The solution was to replace these LEds with some ultra bright white ones and after a struggle these are now installed and the meters have been transformed completely now as these photos show. Overall was it a wise move to purchase these unseen from an online auction, I would say a resounding yes to that and unlike the Solartron 7045 meter I got off ebay last year, these two have far better plastics used in the construction of their cases. :-+    :phew:                               

As I also have several 7150s (untested yet), I have to thank you for showing me what I have to do. The bright white backlight is awesome!

Very nice job!

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30183 on: April 26, 2019, 12:57:23 pm »
This is a long shot I know, but I have been looking for the following calculators to add to my collection for years and had zero luck so far, they are Commodore S61, Commodore N60 and Commodore M55, does anyone know where I might locate one of these at all?

https://hah.life/video/yHOy0yVGiYTk/-/Commodore%20M55%20Calculator%20Fix

Only one Commodore Calc in Oz at present is this eBay auction: #392277813512 $35 + $11 post. And if anyone wants it I can on forward.

And for a very TEA Appropriate one the Sanyo Nixie Calculator eBay auction: #173456050903 'Only' $299 AUpesos.

Beautiful reed switches! (Not even speaking of the nixies.) I once had a desktop calculator with a VFD and a keyboard made of steel, magnets and reed switches. The best keys imaginable. Indestructible. Unfailing. And smooth action. It worked perfectly, but back then I was only interested in components and scrapped it for them. |O
Sometimes I wish I was only a bit wiser ... Sigh.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30184 on: April 26, 2019, 12:59:15 pm »
Update on the Solartron 7150 meters.

Ran some extensive tests on their calibration and I'm pleased to say that are both within acceptable limits of calibration, one will need a re-cal soon I think and the good news is that I could do it myself via the front push buttons, just like the HP3468A and 3478A meters so that's an advantage.

The other issues with both meters, apart from the dodgy filter units, now replaced, was the LCD displays could be difficult to read in some light conditions. The display did have some yellow inefficient LEDs and they could only be seen in the middle of the night with the lights off, (the camera actually made these appear far better then they were in reality), not a good idea to work with no lights  :-DD.

The solution was to replace these LEds with some ultra bright white ones and after a struggle these are now installed and the meters have been transformed completely now as these photos show. Overall was it a wise move to purchase these unseen from an online auction, I would say a resounding yes to that and unlike the Solartron 7045 meter I got off ebay last year, these two have far better plastics used in the construction of their cases. :-+    :phew:                               

As I also have several 7150s (untested yet), I have to thank you for showing me what I have to do. The bright white backlight is awesome!

Very nice job!
A word of warning, the feet on these are very small and if you attempt to stack them, heat build up becomes an issue. The typically draw around 17 Watts each but the heat can't dissapate easily with something stacked above it, such as in my case another 7150, the top one gets warm but the one below gets very hot. I'm adding feet which are 10mm tall to mine to give better air flow to wick away the heat.

Who let Murphy in?

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30185 on: April 26, 2019, 01:07:29 pm »
A word of warning, the feet on these are very small and if you attempt to stack them, heat build up becomes an issue. The typically draw around 17 Watts each but the heat can't dissapate easily with something stacked above it, such as in my case another 7150, the top one gets warm but the one below gets very hot. I'm adding feet which are 10mm tall to mine to give better air flow to wick away the heat.

That shouldn't be a problem, as they will likely never get any real use. My current bench meters are 2 HP34401, and I'm quite happy with them.

But of course I do want to get them in a good shape like yours.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30186 on: April 26, 2019, 01:11:04 pm »

That shouldn't be a problem, as they will likely never get any real use. My current bench meters are 2 HP34401, and I'm quite happy with them.

If you have too many.... I could use a parts mule [emoji6]

Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30187 on: April 26, 2019, 01:23:59 pm »
You seem to be coping very well with your elbow, my son was told today he has another 2 to 3 months of physio to go yet.

Yeah now the swelling has gone down a lot it’s obvious which bit I hurt and it’s relatively minor thank goodness. Didn’t feel like it was when I did it!. It’s only the ligament that controls the rotation of the joint. I can work around that and am in minimal pain. Only on 200mg ibuprofen before bed now. If I twist it the wrong way I get a reminder that it’s still healing. This is trivial really. Not letting it get in the way. Soldering is a bugger though. Been doing that left handed. Back to work on Monday.

When I did my ankle a few years ago that took 8 weeks before I could put any weight on it. I think that’s more the sort of injury your son had. That was hell. It started out the same but just didn’t get better. Then my foot went purple after a week.

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30188 on: April 26, 2019, 01:43:38 pm »
Looking at your HP427A voltmeters I was reminded of my Philips PM2454. As an AC millivoltmeter it's of a different kind, but it does have a nice, big movement, too.

So I decided to take a closer look at it and create some more Philips pr0n.  8)

Already switched on:

Innards:

And, of course, the range switch:

The 'lytics check found one deaf cap in the power supply, the rest were exceptionally good:

The pilot lamp wasn't dead - there wasn't one at all. As I had none that fitted, I removed the stern contact from the socket, sleeved one leg of a 3-mm LED and slid it through that small hole. The other leg was bent to make good contact with the outer metal tube. The LED is now supplied from DC. Since the cap is not very transparent, I let it run at 20 mA to get enough light (sorry for the lousy pic):

The PM2454 is mostly in agreement with my HP34401. I didn't bother to calculate whether it's outside its spec (and I also don't know about the HP - AC references are much less common and much more expensive than DC ones).

The following users thanked this post: kj7e, PrecisionAnalytic

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30189 on: April 26, 2019, 01:48:59 pm »

Nice try ...  :-DD

Thinking of a working 34401 as a parts mule makes me cringe!

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30190 on: April 26, 2019, 02:13:45 pm »

Nice try ...  :-DD

Thinking of a working 34401 as a parts mule makes me cringe!
It would me too [emoji849], for clarity I was of course referring to 7150s. I know that they are very slow and have limited features compared to a 34401, but I quite like them. One thi g I find infuriating about them is that regardless of the resistance value, be it ohms, K or M, it only reads as K grrr. [emoji102]

Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: grizewald

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #30191 on: April 26, 2019, 02:21:58 pm »
...FurkBook is a toxic wastedump. I pulled the plug there years ago when I discovered what colossal timesink it is; long before we discovered what an utter fuckstick Zuckerberg, et al were being with people's personal data.  :palm:
The other points that are of considerable relevance to an archive of information are:
  • can someone google to locate the information
  • will the information be accessible in 5 years time
Farcebook fails both of those, badly. Certainly I wouldn't waste my time generating information for it.
If it's Social Media, then you are the product being sold. They are a content aggregator where you create the content. That's true of eevBlog as well, in the strictest sense.  :-\

The difference is that is that here your personal information stays yours up to whatever point you allow, and in general, the SNR is MUCH better. There is real value in that.  :-+

Wow, that's quite a power supply, bean. It's outgrown its case! :-DD

Gotta love that it comes with dual handles, one for each transformer.

Hear, hear! Congrats to both of you... her for mustering it to your location, and you for giving that windbroke old draught horse a new home!  :-DD

Later today I'm going to be making a short (under 2 hr) road trip. If the trip is successful I will be making the best score ever. It will even beat the $65 USD Tek 2465 score from last year in terms of value/goods received. I'm not going to reveal what it is just yet. When the transaction is complete I'll do a full reveal. If the deal goes belly up I'll reveal that too.

Stay tuned.  ;D

TEASE!!!  :-DD

mnem
Please... Do carry on.  ;)
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30192 on: April 26, 2019, 03:05:42 pm »
Sounds as if Med might be getting the  Jammy Git award again [emoji108]

Who let Murphy in?

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30193 on: April 26, 2019, 03:15:51 pm »
It would me too [emoji849], for clarity I was of course referring to 7150s. I know that they are very slow and have limited features compared to a 34401, but I quite like them. One thi g I find infuriating about them is that regardless of the resistance value, be it ohms, K or M, it only reads as K grrr. [emoji102]

I might need that mule myself. Don't expect to get all 5 of them working fine. Sacrificing the worst could allow 4 running fine.

With a clean bench and no important household chores to do, checking them out looks like something for tomorrow. :-DMM

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #30194 on: April 26, 2019, 03:18:44 pm »
Just when I figured I was going to focus on working my way through the repair and restore queue rather than add to it, this showed up on CL:

https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/ele/d/vancouver-vintage-test-equipment-lot/6872778326.html

And this:

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ele/d/corvallis-tektronix-465b-oscilloscope/6875039628.html

I bought the 465B (I hope) and I've asked a lot buyer I know if he'd be interested in buying the big lot of gear and letting me carve out a couple of pieces. In any case, I am going to go see it tomorrow even though there's no way I am buying it.

* wch sighs

It never ends does it?  :-//
specialization is for insects.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30195 on: April 26, 2019, 03:40:22 pm »

I might need that mule myself. Don't expect to get all 5 of them working fine. Sacrificing the worst could allow 4 running fine.

With a clean bench and no important household chores to do, checking them out looks like something for tomorrow. :-DMM
The cables in them are bastards, very stiff and could do with a little slack on them to allow them to sit flat when you unclip the top board and pivot it away to allow access to the shield and the the bottom power board. To make it worse they are not plug and socketed either, take care.

Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30196 on: April 26, 2019, 03:43:32 pm »
Tek 475A DM44 de-integration now taking place. See you on the other side.  :scared:

I never liked the DM44 anyway.

Edit: bugger this is scrapped. Missing two replacement parts. Next week :(
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 03:50:35 pm by bd139 »

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #30197 on: April 26, 2019, 04:08:43 pm »
What replacement parts would you need to remove the DM44 permanently? Pull it off, remove the top bracket, dress up the cabling, done.

The only thing you would need is a case without the cut out.   :-// :-// :-//
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30198 on: April 26, 2019, 04:25:04 pm »
What replacement parts would you need to remove the DM44 permanently? Pull it off, remove the top bracket, dress up the cabling, done.

The only thing you would need is a case without the cut out.   :-// :-// :-//
Doesn't it integrate with the time base, won't there be parts required there or is a straight tap off?

Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30199 on: April 26, 2019, 04:37:47 pm »
Yes that's it. It's actually not quite as straightforward as it looks and appears to be deep in hacks. There are a few component changes looking at the integration guide. The 10 turn delay TB pot is 2k on the non DM44 versus 20k on the DM44 for example. Need to review the process in reverse and select parts from the 465 to pull out.  The 465 will be the mule and donate the case as I think the vertical is BER. The handle will be swapped over so the label is correct on the front as well.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf