Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14405514 times)

med6753, K0ELB, TERRA Operative, squibby, Carl_Smith and 27 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #30250 on: April 27, 2019, 12:15:01 pm »
The 7A24 vertical plug-in is 50 ohm input only so FET probes are pretty much mandatory. But it's just that plug-in. Others are the normal 1M. It has the advantage of 400MHz response but I really don't expect to be probing frequencies that high but would be nice to have just in case. 

An old gray beard with an attitude.

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30251 on: April 27, 2019, 12:30:19 pm »
That Bundle Kosmic posted looks worth the drive  ;D Go on do it you are 'retired' and have time >:D

I'm already running out of room and I can't save it all alone.  :-DD

2 hours drive on my side. If I go down there, I'm going to have a fun time explaining to the border officer why my car is full of crap on my way back  :-DD

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #30252 on: April 27, 2019, 12:32:48 pm »
That Bundle Kosmic posted looks worth the drive  ;D Go on do it you are 'retired' and have time >:D

2 hours drive on my side. If I go down there, I'm going to have a fun time explaining to the border officer why my car is full of crap on my way back  :-DD

And probably make you pay an import duty.  :-DD

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30253 on: April 27, 2019, 12:38:05 pm »

Well someone has to pay for universal health care  :)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30254 on: April 27, 2019, 01:51:18 pm »
The 7A24 vertical plug-in is 50 ohm input only so FET probes are pretty much mandatory. But it's just that plug-in. Others are the normal 1M. It has the advantage of 400MHz response but I really don't expect to be probing frequencies that high but would be nice to have just in case. 

Would a differential probe be a better bet?

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30255 on: April 27, 2019, 02:07:38 pm »
You don't need a FET probe for these. They're compatible with any 50 ohm system (RF/otherwise) and special passive probes were available for 10x / 100x (500 ohm / 5k Zin). Only need a FET probe if you want a Zin of 1 meg. Main thing with these is the VSWR is really low (under 1.2) across the whole frequency range. if I was using one I'd probably use it for RF power measurement in the VHF region using a power sampler / tap. Very useful plugin.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #30256 on: April 27, 2019, 02:24:51 pm »
Welcome, Sapper. If you spend too much time here, it's a collection that's bound to grow.
I don't think that will be a problem to zapper, he is already fixing his crosshairs on another scope without our assistance. I think he is just for a new circle of friends who won't question his addiction, zapper we warmly welcome you to the group, you fit the mould perfectly..

Precisely! He fits right in here with all of us mouldy oldies who love collecting and tinkering with mouldy oldies...  :-DD

Welcome to our rabbit hole, Sapper; the perpetually-falling taco truck is over there, a little due South...  :-+

My local Amateur radio club has had an interesting 24 hrs,

Last night we got a presentation from a local Ham, Steve VK5SFA (who also happens to be a braodcast engineer ) who won the 2019 ARRL Antenna design of the year with his double magnetic loop antenna for 1.8MHz - the design and construction is on his website
http://members.iinet.net.au/~sadler@netspace.net.au/tmla.html
At midday we had our Buy and Sell - not a great lot of sellers this year - but I was not unhappy with my purchase from a fellow Club member of some real and working "HP iron" - the past owner is very careful fellow so you know it has been well looked after. Great price AUD$50  :-+
de Rob
Edit 10-400 MHz MC Freq Gen

You know it's good old iron when it's labeled in Megacycles!  ;D

No it disappears when gnif cocks up instead  :-DD

Everything is ephemeral. Enjoy the moment. Just try not to do it on Facebook as it’s a sack of shit.

Back in 1986, in the middle of the home computer boom, the BBC (I think it was) decided to celebrate the 900th anniversary of Doomesday Book by creating a digital record of everyday life. The main difference is that you can still read Doomesday Book - as I did when it was on show at the British Library Anglo-Saxons exhibition a while back.

Yeah as the only geek in the school at the time I actually worked on that back in the day. We had to submit articles using viewdata! I did something to do with coastal geography. Booooring lol

I knew someone who had a working laserdisc, master and full set of discs back in the late 1990s that were just tossed in a skip. He sold them for a stack of cash and used it to put a down payment on a lotus Elise he was too fat to get into which we found terribly hilarious. I couldn’t get in it either at the time either so I shouldn’t laugh  :-DD

Edit: lots of schools were issued with Domesday players but during the IT exodus away from Acorn in the 90s they had no idea of the value and they were just tossing in skips. Teachers were totally dumb in this respect. Now there aren’t many working laserdisc players out there. I made a small fortune out of this as well skip diving Acorn kit post disposal and selling on yahoo auctions 1999-2001. No Domesday for me though :(

I actually let go of my V5000 in our last move... I hadn't actually even turned it on in 3 years even though it was set up right in the LR and my collection of LDs in a milk crate right next to it. My CDs were all in cartridges, so just a PITA. Put them all up on fleaBay; got ridiculous money for them. Funny the conversation should move this direction; look what I just unearthed yesterday...  :o

mnem
*home alone widda kiddles*  :scared:

alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30257 on: April 27, 2019, 02:41:50 pm »
Well someone has to pay for universal health care  :)

I think you'd get a pass on that lot... not likely they could claim it was new goods.

Buy it and Split it up and sell it to us Deprived lot. Yep we are that desperate  :-DD

Edit: Just checked there is a bunch of Fans there you could Butcher some more scopes with  :-DD :-DD :-DD
   Here, I got something for you.  :-DD :-DD :-DD

*SNURRRRCH!!!

That's effing classic. Almost as good as Mickey Rat.  >:D

mnem
*eating ALL the carbs today*
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 02:50:19 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30258 on: April 27, 2019, 03:03:11 pm »
I was looking at FET probes on Ebay and holy crap.  :o Are these things made of gold? And it appears that half of them are missing their probe tips.  :-// What's going on here? The probe monster eating them? But I'll bet a lot, if not most, are blown out due to excess voltage.  :palm:

I wonder if it's possible to make one with decent response?  :-/O
You are welcome. Even less of them over here. When my interest was still centered around anything usable with the 2430, there weren't any complete and affordable ones of the older kind. When I got the TDS, those with TekProbe interface that I had seen before had also vanished or risen in price.

But you and 0culus are really a bad influence. After looking at your scope, I started to think if a faster analogue scope, which I would like to have, could be a 7000 series. Then I read up on TekWiki on the intricacies of this series for 2h. But realistically - no. Already overcrowded 69m².
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 04:50:28 pm by Neomys Sapiens »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30259 on: April 27, 2019, 04:02:48 pm »
I'm thinking of a couple 7000 series, and maybe a 555 once I get to Canada... :-DD

mnem
Maybe a couple hollow-state 80-160m rigs too.  >:D

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #30260 on: April 27, 2019, 05:21:30 pm »
I'm thinking of a couple 7000 series, and maybe a 555 once I get to Canada... :-DD

mnem

You're gonna need them in the winter to keep warm.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30261 on: April 27, 2019, 06:30:08 pm »
This week I bought a poor little power meter ignored by everybody on ebay. Was only 25$. I already have a Boonton 4300 but then I realised a backup might come handy at some point  :)

It's equipped with the optional 2e channel and GPIB port. The front panel is a bit discolored so I might try a retrobright treatment.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30262 on: April 27, 2019, 06:35:25 pm »

Was lucky enough to find the calibration paper under one of the side panel. Last calibration was in 1996. The probe calibration data is useless (the unit came alone) but DC Cal is pretty useful.

So I skipped the probe calibration and did quick test and it's almost spot on (Calibrator was set a -30dBm)  :)

« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 06:39:56 pm by Kosmic »

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #30263 on: April 27, 2019, 06:39:57 pm »

They did make a couple of 50 ohm passive probes intended to go with the 7A19 amplifier such as the P6056 (10x) and P6057 (100x). In fact, I just bought a P6056 to go with my 7A19.

I was looking at FET probes on Ebay and holy crap.  :o Are these things made of gold? And it appears that half of them are missing their probe tips.  :-// What's going on here? The probe monster eating them? But I'll bet a lot, if not most, are blown out due to excess voltage.  :palm:

I got extremely lucky and found a P6201 that was NEW in the box with all accessories and got it for less than $100 (I don't think the seller knew how much he could scalp on it  :-DD ) You better believe I baby it.  :-+

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30264 on: April 27, 2019, 08:31:06 pm »

mnem
You're gonna need them in the winter to keep warm.

Yup. Space heaters, each and every one of 'em.  >:D

mnem
Beee-yooo-ti-ful space heaters...

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #30265 on: April 28, 2019, 12:07:29 am »
Later today I'm going to be making a short (under 2 hr) road trip. If the trip is successful I will be making the best score ever. It will even beat the $65 USD Tek 2465 score from last year in terms of value/goods received. I'm not going to reveal what it is just yet. When the transaction is complete I'll do a full reveal. If the deal goes belly up I'll reveal that too.

Stay tuned.  ;D

The deal was consummated and here it is. Tek 7904. 500MHz of analog goodness. Included in the deal is a 7A26 200MHz vertical, a somewhat uncommon 7A24 400MHz vertical which is genuine 50 ohm input only, and 2- 7B80 timebase. The price for all this goodness? $100 USD! The caveat: it doesn't power up. It has the classic switch mode tick-tick which is usually the caps. Most likely a bastard tant. Should be a straight forward fix.

As you can see it fits on my custom scope cart because I designed originally with a 4 slot 7000 series in mind. So the 3 slot 7603N has been kicked off. I'm also going to have to source some FET probes in order to utilize the 7A24 vertical plug-in.

To say I am tickled pink with this find is an understatement. It's like being reunited with an old friend. The last time I had my paws on a 7904 was sometime around 1977.   

And here's the proof. The Craigslist ad.

Wish I had a Craigslist like you do around here.  Some wanker is selling a used Rigol 1054Z for $500.  Normally, I laugh and move on but I felt required to let him know new ones are $150 cheaper.  I did so kindly but I doubt he will take it that way.  That's why I used a throw away email account.

Didn't you say you were originally from Jersey? Well you should have never left. That's where the deals are. There's a bunch of assorted scopes on there right now. This 7904 was in Vernon which is about a 100 miles round trip for me. Was absolutely worth it.  :-+

Yep, down here in Flori-DUH for 30 years.  I couldn't justify the gas/food/hotel expense to Mrs GreyWoolfe to pick over CraigsList up there as she knows all my family is gone from NJ. |O
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #30266 on: April 28, 2019, 12:11:57 am »
Later today I'm going to be making a short (under 2 hr) road trip. If the trip is successful I will be making the best score ever. It will even beat the $65 USD Tek 2465 score from last year in terms of value/goods received. I'm not going to reveal what it is just yet. When the transaction is complete I'll do a full reveal. If the deal goes belly up I'll reveal that too.

Stay tuned.  ;D

The deal was consummated and here it is. Tek 7904. 500MHz of analog goodness. Included in the deal is a 7A26 200MHz vertical, a somewhat uncommon 7A24 400MHz vertical which is genuine 50 ohm input only, and 2- 7B80 timebase. The price for all this goodness? $100 USD! The caveat: it doesn't power up. It has the classic switch mode tick-tick which is usually the caps. Most likely a bastard tant. Should be a straight forward fix.

As you can see it fits on my custom scope cart because I designed originally with a 4 slot 7000 series in mind. So the 3 slot 7603N has been kicked off. I'm also going to have to source some FET probes in order to utilize the 7A24 vertical plug-in.

To say I am tickled pink with this find is an understatement. It's like being reunited with an old friend. The last time I had my paws on a 7904 was sometime around 1977.   

And here's the proof. The Craigslist ad.

Wish I had a Craigslist like you do around here.  Some wanker is selling a used Rigol 1054Z for $500.  Normally, I laugh and move on but I felt required to let him know new ones are $150 cheaper.  I did so kindly but I doubt he will take it that way.  That's why I used a throw away email account.
Yeh, see dickheads like that almost daily, chuck in a few LEDs and knobs and a meter or a screen and instantly they think that it's the jackpot and that they have priced it to go, poor deluded bastards. [emoji23]

Maybe not so much a wanker.  He responded back to me saying "thanks for watching out for me, I am well aware."  I guess he's just playing the long con trying to catch some poor rube. :palm:
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30267 on: April 28, 2019, 12:27:51 am »
https://youtu.be/Gn_-z-noVGs
Custom-Fabricated Blower for Tek 2465

I've been quietly accumulating an assortment of of 75-80mm fans of various depths and types; going to do a "Hack 'em all, let  God Sort 'em out" shootout.

Looking for ideas on some valid means of comparison-testing their effectiveness... haven't even arrived at a methodology yet. Maybe some kind of homebrew anemometer stuck to an airbox box around the U800 vent?

Doubtful any of them could pull more than a few mm H2O vacuum... even the OEM one, of which I have an excellent example in just-refurbished condition for baseline testing.

Please, let me know what y'all know of that I could might build as a test rig,

mnem
*cogitating-ily*

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #30268 on: April 28, 2019, 12:55:23 am »
Custom-Fabricated Blower for Tek 2465

I've been quietly accumulating an assortment of of 75-80mm fans of various depths and types; going to do a "Hack 'em all, let  God Sort 'em out" shootout.

Looking for ideas on some valid means of comparison-testing their effectiveness... haven't even arrived at a methodology yet. Maybe some kind of homebrew anemometer stuck to an airbox box around the U800 vent?

Doubtful any of them could pull more than a few mm H2O vacuum... even the OEM one, of which I have an excellent example in just-refurbished condition for baseline testing.

mnem
*cogitating-ily*

Only real Measure for these sort of fans is flow rate in a given duct area. Flow calculated from airspeed meter sitting in that duct either a heater or fan type. I have had a small handheld for years from my R/C glider flying and scoredstole this far more accurate industrial one for looking at Coffee Roaster airflow eBay auction: #303122786600

So you create this sort of thing

Even if your fan doesn't cover the entire duct can be mathematically fudged by looking at the likely airspeed distribution across the duct as the result of skin friction (second year Fluid Mechanics) but that is OTT. Might be some applicable reading here I just found https://www.cedengineering.com/userfiles/How%20to%20Size%20and%20Design%20Ducts.pdf
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 01:33:01 am by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline neo

• Super Contributor
  • The specialist.
« Reply #30269 on: April 28, 2019, 01:39:26 am »

mnem
*cogitating-ily*

Theoretically wouldn't the best measure of their effectiveness be how well they do their job? That meaning that temperature could show you directly how they stack up.  :-//

I don't know, maybe I'm missing something or maybe I'm an idiot. Yeah..  I'm probably an idiot.
A hopeless addict (and slave) to TEA and a firm believer that high frequency is little more than modern hoodoo.

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #30270 on: April 28, 2019, 01:47:49 am »
Here's a starting point. With the old fan I did a temperature measurement on the back plate. Ambient temp was 74 F. I had the thermocouple in place for several hours and the temp never exceeded 97 F.

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #30271 on: April 28, 2019, 02:04:30 am »

They did make a couple of 50 ohm passive probes intended to go with the 7A19 amplifier such as the P6056 (10x) and P6057 (100x). In fact, I just bought a P6056 to go with my 7A19.

I got extremely lucky and found a P6201 that was NEW in the box with all accessories and got it for less than $100 (I don't think the seller knew how much he could scalp on it  :-DD ) You better believe I baby it.  :-+

I had similar luck. In the cardboard box o' probes I bought, there was a new in the box P6201 (it even had the Tektronix probe catalog with it) along with all the other goodies like the P6137s and P6131s. 

Working my way through all the different probes, figuring what they are good for, and reading all the Tek literature (like the Concept series) on oscilloscopes and probes is like a graduate education in test and measurement, too.

.... and I lost out on the CL $50 465B. The seller wrote me today to say he missed my email, You were actually the first person to respond, I don't know how I missed it. Sorry.    |O  |O 

Back down to bench to finish ordering caps for the stack of TM plugins....
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 02:07:57 am by wch »
specialization is for insects.

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #30272 on: April 28, 2019, 02:35:15 am »

Probably just wishful thinking?

That's exactly what I was wondering while reading the preceding sentences. There probably are projects out there to do it. Bd139 could probably whip something up straight from his junk box. ;D
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30273 on: April 28, 2019, 02:39:58 am »
This week I bought a poor little power meter ignored by everybody on ebay. Was only 25$. I already have a Boonton 4300 but then I realised a backup might come handy at some point  :)

Haven't seen one of those before. Added to POI.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30274 on: April 28, 2019, 02:44:31 am »
Some wanker is selling a used Rigol 1054Z for $500.  Normally, I laugh and move on but I felt required to let him know new ones are $150 cheaper.  I did so kindly but I doubt he will take it that way.  That's why I used a throw away email account.
Yeh, see dickheads like that almost daily, chuck in a few LEDs and knobs and a meter or a screen and instantly they think that it's the jackpot and that they have priced it to go, poor deluded bastards. [emoji23]

Maybe not so much a wanker.  He responded back to me saying "thanks for watching out for me, I am well aware."  I guess he's just playing the long con trying to catch some poor rube. :palm:

Yep, see those kinds of sellers on eBay, too. There's enough cluelessness among the pool of buyers to make it worthwhile. :palm:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf