Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14406031 times)

med6753 and 14 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #30325 on: April 28, 2019, 04:13:49 pm »
Heading out to first local hamfest of the year in a few minutes.  :-+

I came, I saw, I was unimpressed. Not much in the way of test equipment. Mostly radio related equipment, of course. But I did notice one curious thing. Being a Ham is dying activity. I thought I was old. These guys are OLD.  :scared: Many in wheelchairs, canes, and crutches. And the ones not disabled are dressed like hobos and look like in need of a good bath. If this particular radio club doesn't get some new members within a short time it's all gonna be SK. But at least they are a friendly bunch.

So did I buy anything? Yep, my FIRST HP. 6215A 0-30V/500ma power supply. Little pip squeak. Paid a budget busting $15 USD for it. Seems to work fine. Nice addition to the bench.   :-+

Nice find on the PSU. It is much the same here. At sixty, I appear to be at least two standard deviations left of the hamfest attendee mean age.  It is, generally, a friendly group and I've met some very experienced builders there, which I enjoy. There are usually a few good equipment bargains (I got a working 6061A sig gen for $100) because there are still a few retired Tek guys getting tables but even that's changed over the last two years. My local radio club is run by the same crew that's been in charge for the last three decades. It took me a year to convince them that holding the monthly meeting at 8PM on Friday night might be an impediment to attracting younger members.  :-DD
Over here, that generation of guys are as likely to come up with the idea to hold it on saturday at 8AM, which is even more of a NOGO.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30326 on: April 28, 2019, 04:27:12 pm »
@Med That's a good catch, small, compact and dead nuts as well. It should clean a real treat that one.  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: med6753

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #30327 on: April 28, 2019, 04:34:58 pm »
Heading out to first local hamfest of the year in a few minutes.  :-+

I came, I saw, I was unimpressed. Not much in the way of test equipment. Mostly radio related equipment, of course. But I did notice one curious thing. Being a Ham is dying activity. I thought I was old. These guys are OLD.  :scared: Many in wheelchairs, canes, and crutches. And the ones not disabled are dressed like hobos and look like in need of a good bath. If this particular radio club doesn't get some new members within a short time it's all gonna be SK. But at least they are a friendly bunch.

So did I buy anything? Yep, my FIRST HP. 6215A 0-30V/500ma power supply. Little pip squeak. Paid a budget busting $15 USD for it. Seems to work fine. Nice addition to the bench.   :-+

Nice find on the PSU. It is much the same here. At sixty, I appear to be at least two standard deviations left of the hamfest attendee mean age.  It is, generally, a friendly group and I've met some very experienced builders there, which I enjoy. There are usually a few good equipment bargains (I got a working 6061A sig gen for $100) because there are still a few retired Tek guys getting tables but even that's changed over the last two years. My local radio club is run by the same crew that's been in charge for the last three decades. It took me a year to convince them that holding the monthly meeting at 8PM on Friday night might be an impediment to attracting younger members.  :-DD

I'm 65 and I felt like a little kid walking in. If it hadn't been for the radio equipment I would swear I was in a nursing home.  :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #30328 on: April 28, 2019, 04:44:55 pm »
*Hands tautech a fire extinguisher then turns around and leaves*

mnem
If ya can't beat 'em, at least put the fires out before they take the whole house.
:-DD
What, scared Bean might find this ^^ ?
   I am quite capable of making my own fires and sparks without help from Tek ;D and in case of too much cheek, Jessie the Sneerer will be around to bite people on their bits  :-DD

OMFG... Jessie the Sneerer ?!? You have a dog with a SuperVillain name, and it's that little puff of fluff with feet?  
You made me snort coffee out my nose with that one... That's better than my cat named Harley Bitch !!!

A friend of mine built one of them back at university in halls. It used an old TV transformer and fly back and multiplier. Made one hell of a racket and blew the breakers for the entire block at least twice. We found out quickly that this extracted the female members of the block rapidly when the lights went out. Unfortunately the moment they found out that we frequented the electrical engineering course they ran a mile  :(

What course do you do? Err, err, err social sciences!  :-DD

Edit: arm hardly in pain at all now so off to Andover. Fingers crossed for some TE. Only grabbing one handed stuff today if there is any. No boat anchors :)

Heh... my first "freeform" project in Tech College was one of those... used one of these old parallel-winding TV flybacks rewound with a few turns of 18ga wire, and powered by a couple MJE3055s in push-pull so I could easily tune the frequency to 15-17Khz to keep the xf running cool. Ish.  :-DD

I spent some time working with various kinds of glass lamp globes trying to make a proper plasma globe; lots of different spheres and center electrodes turned in the machine shop after school. I never was able to get them to arc internally so gave up and used a 6" clear globe light blub for the final project. This actually worked quite well; with the light out you could see a faint corona on the inside surface, and the arc would follow your finger around the globe quite satisfyingly...

...Unless you just left it sit running for more than a few minutes. As the filament has two "high points", the arc would fixate on one of two spots on the globe if left undisturbed; then it would eventually burn a hole through the globe allowing air inside. Once I discovered this, I made it the last part of my presentation; as the air entered the globe a few molecules at a time and oxidized the edges of the glass, it made an interesting orange glow at the point of ingress for a minute or so.

Long after that project concluded, I finally discovered the culprit with my plasma globes: the natural rubber plug I was using in the base allowed enough current flow across its surface to start an invisible arc almost instantly that leeched off enough charge to prevent the formation of plasma, whether with vacuum or gas. I later used a center electrode made of a spherical SS drawer knob attached to a length of 12ga copper wire inside a piece of laboratory glass tubing through the rubber stopper; this arrangement allowed me to pull a partial vacuum on the globe through the glass tube, then force argon from the welding shop through the tube to displace the rest of the air inside. Then the wire was pulled down the glass tube and sealed up with silicone RTV. It didn't work for long, but it did work.

mnem
tzzzzt.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30329 on: April 28, 2019, 05:04:30 pm »
With the 7150s done for now, and still in a Solartron-y mood, I remembered the A200 and put it on my desk.
(SNIP)
This A210 has been hanging around in Oz for over a year now  :horse: the knob selling has actually raised the price from what it was not selling at some time ago  :palm: eBay auction: #122271040245   Because Nixie old and a little crusty and no guarantee of working properly makes it worth heaps .......

Good lord... fuckwittery like makes you wish you could climb through the screen and find the guy IRL just to pee on his feet...  :-DD

If you get a good short range one, you'll use them for more than that, e.g. what's that "50ohm" cable's real impedance, is that load good, what's that connector going to do to my VSWR, what's that PCB track's impedance, how do those protection diodes/etc affect the signal.

Plus, portable TDRs can get you brownie points diagnosing relatives' TV aerial woes (even if it isn't needed, they look impressive).

My solution is much simpler: I don't "do" broadcast anymore. Not TV, not radio, nothing. Much less :bullshit: in my life as a result.  :clap:

mnem
Time to clean the garage some more...
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #30330 on: April 28, 2019, 05:13:37 pm »
Spent the morning working on another TM plugin. I guess I should start a thread over in test equipment, eh?

I also posted a new message in the wanted thread (also on a couple of the groups.io threads) as I am looking for some new projects to add to the mix:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/buysellwanted/wanted-tm500-plugins/

I probably won't keep most of these. The fun for me is learning how they work, cleaning them up, fixing the broken hardware and calibrating them.  There's some good engineerin' in these things!

specialization is for insects.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30331 on: April 28, 2019, 05:17:07 pm »
@med: Good luck  :-+

Tek 2235A here checks out fine. No damage, no repairs, no mods. All caps good. There’s a Schaffner filter in it which I will replace. This has a huge number of the design problems with the 2235 non A fixed in it. Powering up in a minute  :-+

So you'll be ready in time for the Ramco Tek 2430s on 7th May :)

I think I'm bored with scopes, unless they offer me something I can't already do, or are excessively cheap, or are 485s :)
Ramco only has the one Tek, 2225, which is one I like due to its lack of Hybrids, has a linear power supply and it has a x10 vertical amplification making it good for measuring noise levels on power supplies and the like so I might have a pop at it and make it my first Tek CRO  :)
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #30332 on: April 28, 2019, 05:22:52 pm »

Tek 2235A here checks out fine. No damage, no repairs, no mods. All caps good. There’s a Schaffner filter in it which I will replace. This has a huge number of the design problems with the 2235 non A fixed in it. Powering up in a minute  :-+

I think I'm bored with scopes, unless they offer me something I can't already do, or are excessively cheap, or are 485s :)
Ramco only has the one Tek, 2225, which is one I like due to its lack of Hybrids, has a linear power supply and it has a x10 vertical amplification making it good for measuring noise levels on power supplies and the like so I might have a pop at it and make it my first Tek CRO  :)
... plus a 2205 and two 2430As
https://www.bidspotter.co.uk/en-gb/auction-catalogues/ramco/catalogue-id-ramco-10157/lot-7d5e7db1-22b9-4051-8bc7-aa3b00b3eb70
https://www.bidspotter.co.uk/en-gb/auction-catalogues/ramco/catalogue-id-ramco-10157/lot-35b33199-d650-463a-af1f-aa3b00b3eb73
https://www.bidspotter.co.uk/en-gb/auction-catalogues/ramco/catalogue-id-ramco-10157/lot-0af61eba-6a1a-47b8-8a9d-aa3b00b3eb73
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30333 on: April 28, 2019, 05:26:05 pm »
Does anyone have an update on the status and well being of of our fellow member Inverted1860 at all? I know that Med6753 was arranging a meetup to exchange some gear which never took place and we know that Inverted1860 was awaiting some medical treatment but that seems like months ago now???
Who let Murphy in?

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #30334 on: April 28, 2019, 05:28:41 pm »
If you get a good short range one, you'll use them for more than that, e.g. what's that "50ohm" cable's real impedance, is that load good, what's that connector going to do to my VSWR, what's that PCB track's impedance, how do those protection diodes/etc affect the signal.

Plus, portable TDRs can get you brownie points diagnosing relatives' TV aerial woes (even if it isn't needed, they look impressive).

My solution is much simpler: I don't "do" broadcast anymore. Not TV, not radio, nothing. Much less :bullshit: in my life as a result.  :clap:

It is equally important to get it right, and TDRs are just as effective, in the "other" direction. 1dB of the link budget is 1dB off the link budget no matter where it occurs. The only difference is that the resistors don't get so hot.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30335 on: April 28, 2019, 05:44:33 pm »

Welp... we'll see what shows up in a month or so... hope it's not a lump of coal.

Does anyone have an update on the status and well being of of our fellow member Inverted1860 at all? I know that Med6753 was arranging a meetup to exchange some gear which never took place and we know that Inverted1860 was awaiting some medical treatment but that seems like months ago now???

Yeah... I'm still worried too. A few times I've seen him post stuff that smelled of PTSD; I'm worried he may have had a relapse. Or worse.  :scared:

It is equally important to get it right, and TDRs are just as effective, in the "other" direction. 1dB of the link budget is 1dB off the link budget no matter where it occurs. The only difference is that the resistors don't get so hot.

But I don't want to broadcast my :bullshit: either! I don't transmit  :bullshit:, I don't receive  :bullshit:, I'm not in the  :bullshit: business!!!  :-DD

mnem
You know, except of course... in here. In the company of friends.  :o
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 05:49:28 pm by mnementh »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30336 on: April 28, 2019, 05:46:07 pm »

... plus a 2205 and two 2430As
https://www.bidspotter.co.uk/en-gb/auction-catalogues/ramco/catalogue-id-ramco-10157/lot-7d5e7db1-22b9-4051-8bc7-aa3b00b3eb70
https://www.bidspotter.co.uk/en-gb/auction-catalogues/ramco/catalogue-id-ramco-10157/lot-35b33199-d650-463a-af1f-aa3b00b3eb73
https://www.bidspotter.co.uk/en-gb/auction-catalogues/ramco/catalogue-id-ramco-10157/lot-0af61eba-6a1a-47b8-8a9d-aa3b00b3eb73

You are so correct, this is a different auction to the one I was referring to, strange that they should both be on the same day and location though  :wtf:

I don't like blind bidding though, its bad enough taking a risk without visiting to inspect but asking people to bid without so much as a photo is a bit much IMO. Rest assured though that I have now registered with this auction now just in case  :-DD I thank you for drawing my attention to it. :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30337 on: April 28, 2019, 05:47:47 pm »
Pictures at last...

Today's haul. 2235A £70. HP 11713A attenuator switch £2. The former was advertised working, the latter had "exploded and smoke came out". I bought both for a specific purpose. I turned down a lot of other

The 2235A was a bit of a risk. I didn't expect it to work. The last 2235 I bought, as you're probably aware, exploded. However I need a decent analogue scope at the moment as a digital one doesn't cut it for a number of tasks I'm doing unless you start spending real money and I'm a cheap arse. Now I bought a 2225 a few weeks back to bounce on ebay but I found out by accident that it actually perches neatly on my bench shelf without threatening to kill me. A 465 / 475 is too and too heavy and I'm honestly tired of the damn things now.

Took the 2235A to bits and reviewed all suspicious parts. Identified one schaffner filter, two RIFA Y's, a RIFA X class capacitor, three borderline electrolytics and the main oscillator film cap in the power supply. I'd actually replaced all these in the 2235 so as that's a lemon I stole all of the bits out I didn't have and put them in the 2235A. Body count:

Bingo - works perfectly. The calibration is even pretty good! 2235A in situ on the shelf.

On to the 11713A. It's knackered. I'm stripping it for parts. There is corrosion on the PCB and transformer, the RIFA has exploded and covered some of it and it looks like a cthulhu spent some time lurking inside it. The rear binding posts will be put on my 6236B to replace the cracked ones, the case will be used to build an SSB transceiver in, the remains of the boards will be stripped for parts where they are useful (lots of very nice silver mica, wet tantalum and a big ass sprague powerlytic which measures good) and the front panel button assemblies ponced off on ebay to make a few quid.

Next stop Dunstable!

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, PrecisionAnalytic, Kosmic

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #30338 on: April 28, 2019, 06:03:21 pm »

But I don't want to broadcast my :bullshit: either! I don't transmit  :bullshit:, I don't receive  :bullshit:, I'm not in the  :bullshit: business!!!  :-DD

mnem

>:D :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30339 on: April 28, 2019, 06:12:34 pm »
@bd139 So let me get this straight in my mind, you say that you had a 2225 up on the shelf but your picture shows a 2235 up there? did you swap them over? Personally I'd (assuming you did have a 2225 there) have thought the 2225 was even more stable with it's big arse toroidal transformer mounted onto the back panel of the scope where as the 2235 is a bastard SMPS with less rear mounted weight?  :popcorn:
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30340 on: April 28, 2019, 06:15:51 pm »

mnem

>:D :-DD

https://youtu.be/etyP13iFrdA

Need a little more than that, I'm afraid. This MIGHT do.  :-DD

mnem
*narrowcast*

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30341 on: April 28, 2019, 06:19:48 pm »
@bd139 So let me get this straight in my mind, you say that you had a 2225 up on the shelf but your picture shows a 2235 up there? did you swap them over? Personally I'd (assuming you did have a 2225 there) have thought the 2225 was even more stable with it's big arse toroidal transformer mounted onto the back panel of the scope where as the 2235 is a bastard SMPS with less rear mounted weight?  :popcorn:

That's correct. I had the 2225 up there and swapped it for the 2235. I gain 50more megs, grat illumination, delayed timebase.

As for stability, both scopes are in the same chassis and they actually sit flat on the shelf with the feet hanging over the front and back so they can't be pulled off or pushed back. There's a good air gap above as well. IKEA made the desk just to fit these  :-DD ... Overhang is only two inches front and rear so it's dead stable, toroidal transformer or not.

I wanted to get most of the desk surface clear for projects so losing the digital scope (which takes a lot of desk footprint and just sucks anyway), putting an analogue on the shelf and jigging it around works nicely considering I have bugger all space to work in.

Edit: current workspace (and mess  :-DD):

There's a cupboard in the hall which is the "equipment cupboard" now rather than the "trash cupboard" now I've organised everything so anything I'm not immediately using lives in there until needed.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 06:23:57 pm by bd139 »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30342 on: April 28, 2019, 06:23:30 pm »
That's okay; you'll be buying another 1054Z in a month or three... and you'll be needing to make space again. :-DD

mnem
*agitating-ily*

Offline grizewald

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30343 on: April 28, 2019, 06:23:45 pm »

I also had trouble getting the backlight LEDs out. They're sitting rather tight in the diffuser plastic. The traces on the PCB are very thin (there's absolutely no reason for them to be such). During unsoldering some traces+pads lifted off.  >:(

This is easily avoided by cutting the leads to the LEDs, removing the cut leads and then clearing the holes.

I did check the other 4 (VDC, Resistance). 2 seem OK, but one of them shows resistances by a factor of 10 low when under ≈100 kΩ.

My 7150+ reads an order of magnitude low on the 2K and 20K ranges. I'm pretty sure the cause is the unobtanium COTO 7002-5086 relay. I managed to procure a spare (with a damaged case), but I haven't got around to testing it yet.
  Lord of Sealand

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30344 on: April 28, 2019, 06:25:10 pm »
That's okay; you'll be buying another 1054Z in a month or three... and you'll be needing to make space again. :-DD

mnem
*agitating-ily*

I'm keeping that, just off the bench for now. It'll be dug out when it needs to earn its keep. Hardly any point in selling stuff. It depreciates less quickly than cash does at the moment  :-DD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30345 on: April 28, 2019, 06:33:02 pm »

mnem
Any day you learn something is a day not wasted.  ;)

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30346 on: April 28, 2019, 07:02:30 pm »
Spent the morning working on another TM plugin. I guess I should start a thread over in test equipment, eh?

I also posted a new message in the wanted thread (also on a couple of the groups.io threads) as I am looking for some new projects to add to the mix:

I probably won't keep most of these. The fun for me is learning how they work, cleaning them up, fixing the broken hardware and calibrating them.  There's some good engineerin' in these things!
Is there a list of what you are not going to keep? My current wish list is PG503(or 502), SG504, SW503, SA501, OR502, 067-1201-99, PG508, PG509, PG506, TG501A, CG551, RG501; roughly by priority but not exclusive.
Also looking for some more of the numbered ones and non-Tek modules.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #30347 on: April 28, 2019, 07:21:13 pm »

Is there a list of what you are not going to keep? My current wish list is PG503(or 502), SG504, SW503, SA501, OR502, 067-1201-99, PG508, PG509, PG506, TG501A, CG551, RG501; roughly by priority but not exclusive.
Also looking for some more of the numbered ones and non-Tek modules.

Just fyi, another thread specifically for Tek TM series -> https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/tektronix-tm-series-test-equipment/

Offline Floopy

• Regular Contributor
  • I'm going to need another oscilloscope to fix that
« Reply #30348 on: April 28, 2019, 07:22:50 pm »

That's correct. I had the 2225 up there and swapped it for the 2235. I gain 50more megs, grat illumination, delayed timebase.

As for stability, both scopes are in the same chassis and they actually sit flat on the shelf with the feet hanging over the front and back so they can't be pulled off or pushed back. There's a good air gap above as well. IKEA made the desk just to fit these  :-DD ... Overhang is only two inches front and rear so it's dead stable, toroidal transformer or not.

I wanted to get most of the desk surface clear for projects so losing the digital scope (which takes a lot of desk footprint and just sucks anyway), putting an analogue on the shelf and jigging it around works nicely considering I have bugger all space to work in.

Edit: current workspace (and mess  :-DD):

There's a cupboard in the hall which is the "equipment cupboard" now rather than the "trash cupboard" now I've organised everything so anything I'm not immediately using lives in there until needed.
Don't you find it inconvenient to have the oscilloscope so high up? I have mine right at the eye level hanging from a shelf and above that a logic analyzer. I find that after using the analyzer for a while I just end up standing up then sitting back down or else my neck cramps at looking up all the time. Maybe I'm too short.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30349 on: April 28, 2019, 07:25:57 pm »

mnem
*agitating-ily*
Don't forget the TDS210!
Who let Murphy in?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf