Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14571616 times)

CalibrationGuy, djadeski and 12 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #30375 on: April 29, 2019, 01:23:02 am »
Actually, happy ending. I finally found it with another neighbor. Unfortunately, the cord wrap feet on the back got shattered (old plastic), but other than that the 'scope is as the guy advertised and it is functional.
Yep, old HP 1700 series feet are garbage and often crumble.  ::)

Beanflying has a 3DP model for replacements listed early on in his 3DP thread if you have or can get to a 3D printer.

Yeah, I was just thinking about that. I do have a friend who has a 3D printer.  :-+

[edit] Got a chance to exercise the 1727A...it appears to be in excellent working order. The storage mesh works, and the persistence is great. Can get non-strobing traces at very slow sweep speeds, which is something neither my 7904A nor my 2465B are good at.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 01:24:48 am by 0culus »

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #30376 on: April 29, 2019, 01:58:25 am »
Actually, happy ending. I finally found it with another neighbor. Unfortunately, the cord wrap feet on the back got shattered (old plastic), but other than that the 'scope is as the guy advertised and it is functional.

Beanflying has a 3DP model for replacements listed early on in his 3DP thread if you have or can get to a 3D printer.

Yeah, I was just thinking about that. I do have a friend who has a 3D printer.  :-+

[edit] Got a chance to exercise the 1727A...it appears to be in excellent working order. The storage mesh works, and the persistence is great. Can get non-strobing traces at very slow sweep speeds, which is something neither my 7904A nor my 2465B are good at.

If you have any of the feet in measurable condition add it to the feet/knobs thread. My version apart from being most likely the correct length are fatter than the original and a double check on height would be worth it.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30377 on: April 29, 2019, 02:03:47 am »
The 2 that didn't disintegrate are pretty banged up...doubt they will provide useful measurements.   :palm:

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #30378 on: April 29, 2019, 02:06:34 am »

Mine is not as evenly lit as yours, but it is infinitely better than before. I could even consider using one now.  :-DMM
It's not done yet, however. The value shown is from my cheap AD584 reference, and a sticker said 'AC out of tolerance'. (The 34401 in the back shows the same 10 volts.)
Resistance looks very good though, it's likely within tolerance. I agree that giving all as 'KΩ' (the capital 'K' is also wrong, they reused the 'V' there) is not a good idea.

With the 7150s done for now, and still in a Solartron-y mood, I remembered the A200 and put it on my desk.

It still needs some cleaning, but I'm quite happy with the result.

All in all, that has been a good TEA repair weekend for me.  :-DMM

Added both to POI.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #30379 on: April 29, 2019, 02:07:21 am »
   OMFG... Jessie the Sneerer ?!? You have a dog with a SuperVillain name, and it's that little puff of fluff with feet?  
You made me snort coffee out my nose with that one... That's better than my cat named Harley Bitch !!!
In the early 2000's I had a roommate that had a hamster named chainsaw.  He also told me about a huge rabbit he had years before I knew him that raped a male ankle biter dog.  Said the dog was traumatized and ended up in therapy.  Could be true or not but I had an appreciation for how he came up with the name of the hamster.

Well... Harley Davidson Bitch was named after a "character" I overheard in a diner waiting in line to pay as a youth... some dimestore diva valley girl made a snide remark about her leathers (evidently without the sense to actually take note of the the rest of her gear tucked under an arm) and this wiry little woman in her 30s whipped around, got right up in her face and told her all about her alcoholic breath, blonde-with-roots-showing-hair and phony Gucci handbag, ending the whole thing with "...and you see that right there? These are my leathers, and that is my bike, and I am a HARLEY BITCH AND I WILL FUCK YOU UP if you don't take your skeevy ass outta my face right now!"

I'll tell you I was both terrified and a little aroused at that moment; that indomitable little woman made an impression upon me that I will clearly take to my grave, and I told the story to pretty much everyone I knew.

Well, Harley Bitch the cat similarly was not taking any shit from anybody from the minute she entered our life; we found her as a kitten-sized adult half-drowned in the rain on the way home with a pan of food from my grandmother's for our cats. Obviously starving, as soon as we got her in the car she climbed right in the pan & started eating. She didn't so much as twitch an ear as I carried the pan inside & set it down, and she just stood there in the pan eating until she was stuffed & belly as round as a ptarmigan. Not one of the household kitties got closer than enough to sneak a nibble or two until she was done.

Upon noticing this, my mom & I looked at each other and both said "Harley Bitch".

She wasn't the only pet of ours to get a terrible name; we rescued triplets which we named them Yakko, Wakko & Dot... another got his name ostensibly because he was always licking his nubbins, but truthfully it was just as much so I could stand on my porch in our ultra-conservative neighborhood and holler "Fuzznuts!!!" at the top of my lungs to call his stomach home for dinner. And then there was "UgliCat"; so named because her unfortunate tortoise-hair pattern made her look very convincingly like a puddle of vomit wherever she would curl up for a nap.  :o

*Sigh* All good, much-loved family long gone now... as well as all our pasture ornaments and dogs. I have 2 kids now... they're more than enough to keep me busy.

mnem
"Raising a child is very much like having a dog that eventually learns to talk... and sometimes do things that are helpful." ~mom
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 01:36:42 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: zzattack

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30380 on: April 29, 2019, 02:16:24 am »

If you have any of the feet in measurable condition add it to the feet/knobs thread. My version apart from being most likely the correct length are fatter than the original and a double check on height would be worth it.

This is what's left.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30381 on: April 29, 2019, 02:17:37 am »
Here's a peak inside the 6215A. As soon as I opened it up the smell of vintage electronics.  :-+

Space dominated by transformer and meter. ;D

Added to POI.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #30382 on: April 29, 2019, 02:22:00 am »

This is what's left.
:-DD
Perfectly normal.
My 1740 ain't got that much !  :-BROKE
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30383 on: April 29, 2019, 02:25:58 am »
My local radio club is run by the same crew that's been in charge for the last three decades. It took me a year to convince them that holding the monthly meeting at 8PM on Friday night might be an impediment to attracting younger members.  :-DD
Over here, that generation of guys are as likely to come up with the idea to hold it on saturday at 8AM, which is even more of a NOGO.

Well, I found a monthly electronics flea market not too far from me. It's also on Saturday, but starts at 5am(!) and closes at noon. :o

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30384 on: April 29, 2019, 02:28:24 am »
Does anyone have an update on the status and well being of of our fellow member Inverted1860 at all? I know that Med6753 was arranging a meetup to exchange some gear which never took place and we know that Inverted1860 was awaiting some medical treatment but that seems like months ago now???

Sorry, I have no updates yet.

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #30385 on: April 29, 2019, 02:29:03 am »

This is what's left.

Not much to be learned from those leftovers  ;) https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/replacement-knobs-feet-and-fittings-for-test-equipment/msg2267919/#msg2267919 x 4 is what you need. There is two STL's in the Zip one is for the stock screws and the other would suit longer aftermarket ones. PETG for preference but if you look a bit further down I did hit a PLA one with a hammer HARD to make it break  >:D
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: 0culus

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30386 on: April 29, 2019, 02:30:01 am »

This is what's left.

Not much to be learned from those leftovers  ;) https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/replacement-knobs-feet-and-fittings-for-test-equipment/msg2267919/#msg2267919 x 4 is what you need. There is two STL's in the Zip one is for the stock screws and the other would suit longer aftermarket ones. PETG for preference but if you look a bit further down I did hit a PLA one with a hammer HARD to make it break  >:D

Awesome!

This is what's left.
:-DD
Perfectly normal.
My 1740 ain't got that much !  :-BROKE

Hahaha...the ones on the other side are gone and are a pile of plastic shards on my front steps so that's literally all that's left.  :-DD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30387 on: April 29, 2019, 02:31:29 am »
   Welp... we'll see what shows up in a month or so... hope it's not a lump of coal.

mnem
You know, except of course... in here. In the company of friends.  :o
   If it performs anything like my 25Mhz unit you should be happy with it. Clearly its not going to be anywhere near the quality of a HP or Marconi unit but you certainly get a lot of bang per buck for a Chinese product it is good. Quality sucks a little when you push it near to its limits but overall a capable device, if it had some modulation system it would make a reasonable RF unit as well.

Yeah; the going rate on this model (which is supposed to have some AWG functionality up to 10MHz) is about $85-125 depending on where you shop on fleaBay or slAmazon. I figured if I actually get the FY6800 for $65, not some effed-up cheaper model or an actual piece of masonry, it'll be worth waiting a month at that price. Same vendor has your model listed for $30; I thought about it but wanted the integrated PSU & slightly better feature-set.

mnem
Pretty is as pretty does.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30388 on: April 29, 2019, 02:34:33 am »

Welp... we'll see what shows up in a month or so... hope it's not a lump of coal.

That's quite a low price for a KKmoon rebranded 6800. They're usually higher than the OEM.

But I don't want to broadcast my :bullshit: either! I don't transmit  :bullshit:, I don't receive  :bullshit:, I'm not in the  :bullshit: business!!!  :-DD

mnem
You know, except of course... in here. In the company of friends.  :o

Here it's :-DMM :-BROKE :-/O :-+ and some :popcorn: :rant: or :blah:, but no :bullshit: or you get :horse:;D

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30389 on: April 29, 2019, 02:39:12 am »
Any day you learn something is a day not wasted.  ;)

That's just about any day I come to the forum. How's that for justifying time spent? >:D

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30390 on: April 29, 2019, 02:42:31 am »
Not only that, but sometimes the learning comes in a box delivered to your door such that you can smell, hear, taste and fondle it!!!  :-DD

mnem
 >:D

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30391 on: April 29, 2019, 02:47:15 am »
Not only that, but sometimes the learning comes in a box delivered to your door such that you can smell, hear, taste and fondle it!!!  :-DD

mnem
 >:D

The 1727A has that lovely "old test equipment" smell too...  :-DD

It's like drinking the TEA Kool-Aid!  >:D

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #30392 on: April 29, 2019, 03:05:04 am »
Does anyone have an update on the status and well being of of our fellow member Inverted1860 at all? I know that Med6753 was arranging a meetup to exchange some gear which never took place and we know that Inverted1860 was awaiting some medical treatment but that seems like months ago now???

My last email from Inverted18650 is he was getting some Fluke gear include calibrator, voltage standard from a college in mid Mar but no further email.

I still has his mobile contact, PM if you need.
I think med has number and it just rings, perhaps med will confirm when he reads this. It would be better if someone who has arranged things with him were to ring him rather someone on the other side of the pond?

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

No, unfortunately I don't have his number.  :--
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30393 on: April 29, 2019, 04:03:03 am »
Well, I found a monthly electronics flea market not too far from me. It's also on Saturday, but starts at 5am(!) and closes at noon. :o

Hehe 5am :-DD Almost the middle of the night for me  :)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 04:05:54 am by Kosmic »

Offline PrecisionAnalytic

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #30394 on: April 29, 2019, 04:42:31 am »
I'm behind on reading blogs at the moment.

The Tekwiki for the Pacific Measurements 1038 system is moving forward at full blast.   :box:

I figured I'd promote for membership (enjoy yourself... I'm not nit picky) and have a central source for resources, experiences, history or whatever insight they'd like to share regarding Pacific Measurements and Wavetek Systems.  Thanks in advance for your time and support!   :-+

https://www.facebook.com/groups/698747963909529/?hc_location=group
That requires me to log in to farcebook (or less polite names), so sorry, that's of no use to me.

Same here... FurkBook is a toxic wastedump. I pulled the plug there years ago when I discovered what colossal timesink it is; long before we discovered what an utter fuckstick Zuckerberg, et al were being with people's personal data.  :palm:

The other points that are of considerable relevance to an archive of information are:
  • can someone google to locate the information
  • will the information be accessible in 5 years time
Farcebook fails both of those, badly. Certainly I wouldn't waste my time generating information for it.

Figured I'd cover the different venues for canvasing for more info even though I'm placing everything document wise, and maybe images with some general info regarding, centrally on Tekwiki. 

Created the Facebook site like Facebook... to see if I can glean more information more-so than harbor.  However, harbor info I will... and overtly.   >:D   :wtf:

I've already covered Google searching and groups.io and yahoo groups. 

Where's it at?  Who's holding out on publicly handing over the 1038-NS20 and 1038-NS201 information.  Cough it up in pdf format!   :blah: :horse:

;)

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #30395 on: April 29, 2019, 04:49:50 am »

My last email from Inverted18650 is he was getting some Fluke gear include calibrator, voltage standard from a college in mid Mar but no further email.

I think med has number and it just rings, perhaps med will confirm when he reads this. It would be better if someone who has arranged things with him were to ring him rather someone on the other side of the pond?

Agreed.  I just sent him one email and I won't be taking things any further myself - but it would be good to know he's OK.  (and I pray that he is)

Offline GregDunn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30396 on: April 29, 2019, 06:00:15 am »

Agreed.  I just sent him one email and I won't be taking things any further myself - but it would be good to know he's OK.  (and I pray that he is)

I've been sending him regular emails but stopped getting replies about a month ago.  He did state explicitly that he never answers calls but will check voice mail if you leave it - same as with emails and text msgs.  I can only assume and hope that he's recovering and simply not able to reply for any of several reasons.

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30397 on: April 29, 2019, 07:13:08 am »

I also had trouble getting the backlight LEDs out. They're sitting rather tight in the diffuser plastic. The traces on the PCB are very thin (there's absolutely no reason for them to be such). During unsoldering some traces+pads lifted off.  >:(

This is easily avoided by cutting the leads to the LEDs, removing the cut leads and then clearing the holes.

I resorted to that for the second pair. My de-soldering station sucks because it doesn't really suck anymore.  :-- Need to check the filters.

I did check the other 4 (VDC, Resistance). 2 seem OK, but one of them shows resistances by a factor of 10 low when under ≈100 kΩ.

My 7150+ reads an order of magnitude low on the 2K and 20K ranges. I'm pretty sure the cause is the unobtanium COTO 7002-5086 relay. I managed to procure a spare (with a damaged case), but I haven't got around to testing it yet.

Yep, I suspected something around the range switches. Sometimes it works in the 10 k range, so it might be a contact problem. If I can't fix the on with the reboot issue, that'll become a parts mule.

Offline nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30398 on: April 29, 2019, 08:08:22 am »

I've just posted some measurements for you to the Great Foot Thread!

The following users thanked this post: beanflying

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30399 on: April 29, 2019, 08:23:05 am »

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

No, unfortunately I don't have his number.  :--
Perhaps
Could I respectively ask you to PM syau who would give his number and then maybe you could call Inverted1860 and find out if he is OK or not? Two reasons, you have some unfinished business with him to resolve and your both in the USA?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf