Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14556906 times)

Jambalaya and 32 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Carl_Smith

• Frequent Contributor
    • MegaMicroWatt - Carl Smith's Blog
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #30425 on: April 30, 2019, 02:44:57 am »
So today Bang-em-good decided to email me with something that might be vaguely TEA related.   We have the "Geekcreit® Spectrum Analyzer USB LTDZ_35-4400M_Spectrum Signal Source with Tracking Source Module RF Frequency Domain Analysis Tool" for the sum of 45 dollars.  A lot more than the usual $3 arduino knockoffs and similar stuff I usually shop for there, but maybe quite a bargin for anything that resembles a working spectrum analyzer and signal source.

https://www.banggood.com/Geekcreit-Spectrum-Analyzer-USB-LTDZ_35-4400M_Spectrum-Signal-Source-with-Tracking-Source-Module-RF-Frequency-Domain-Analysis-Tool-p-1450129.html?cur_warehouse=CN

Gotta wonder if it really does anything all that useful.  Hopes aren't high when they can't even put the circuit board with the silk screen right side up in the picture. 

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #30426 on: April 30, 2019, 03:21:44 am »

I know! Don't use it that way; all the electrons will fall out!!! :-DD

Fortunately, they did get this one right  side up.  ;)

mnem
 :popcorn:
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 03:23:20 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #30427 on: April 30, 2019, 03:36:41 am »
Pretty inexpensive. The ones similar to that in a metal enclosure are usually twice that.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30429 on: April 30, 2019, 06:59:22 am »
Main detector is an AD8307 so that’s about right for it. Absolutely useless for receiver measurements based on 5KHz RBW. I’m not sure what the use case is to be honest. Looks like someone in China poured a shitty signal source, shitty mixer and shitty detector into one board.

I’m interested to see the architecture as well as the AD8307 is only good to 500MHz so the thing must mix down stuff in 500MHz segments at the very least.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 07:02:10 am by bd139 »

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30430 on: April 30, 2019, 07:18:22 am »

Yep, I suspected something around the range switches. Sometimes it works in the 10 k range, so it might be a contact problem. If I can't fix the on with the reboot issue, that'll become a parts mule.

I re-tested mine last night and noticed that it can be a little confusing to identify which resistance range has the trouble due to the way it auto-ranges, which doesn't work properly when it reads 10 times too low. Your 7150 has one less range than the 7150+ on resistance, so you have:

20K, 200K, 2M and 20M and I have
2K, 20K, 200K, 2M and 20M

The 2K and 20K ranges have the highest test current - 100uA - and from the circuit diagram, the relay RLD is what selects 100uA. If you connect a 15K resistor and manually change range, it will be shown as 15K once you switch to the 200K range but will be .15K on the 20K range if the relay is indeed the problem. In theory, the ULN2003 driver could also be the problem, but my money is on the relay.

If I had to take a bet about ULN2003/relay, I'd certainly place it on the relay, too. Semiconductors rarely have intermittent problems, contacts rather often.

If indeed I will sacrifice one as parts mule, I might have a relay for you (supposing they're the same for both models). But don't hold your breath - I'm very slow with everything. It'll probably be weeks before I order LEDs (I just won't pay 2 € for LEDs and 6 € P+p) and go at them again.

@spec:
The next LED replacements will be done that way: cute the legs, solder the new legs to the old ones. That also removes the difficulty of threading the legs through the holes while snapping the bodies into the holder. Very good idea!

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #30431 on: April 30, 2019, 08:05:15 am »
Oh, duck me. Went to the kitchen to make a sandwich; came back and my pc is at 30% of a major Windows Update.  |O

“Don’t turn off your PC. This will take a while. Your PC will restart several times. You may experience some lightheadedness as we install support for Thanos and the upcoming Armageddon.”

I guess it could be worse...

mnem
Sent by threatening an iPad with further “upgrades”.

Yes, it could be worse.  My laptop pulled the 'Windows update, do not turn off' crap a few years ago when I was out in California...  ...as I went to shut it down after transferring my files to the server at the office...  ...to get on my way to go to the airport for my flight home.   |O  :palm: |O :palm: :rant: :rant: :rant:

I had to leave it there, as it was showing no apparent urgency to finish its updates, and then have it shipped home.  And it wasn't packed well enough and the screen got buggered in transit, so I had to replace that later, too.   :palm:

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30432 on: April 30, 2019, 08:12:30 am »

If indeed I will sacrifice one as parts mule, I might have a relay for you (supposing they're the same for both models). But don't hold your breath - I'm very slow with everything. It'll probably be weeks before I order LEDs (I just won't pay 2 € for LEDs and 6 € P+p) and go at them again.

@spec:
The next LED replacements will be done that way: cute the legs, solder the new legs to the old ones. That also removes the difficulty of threading the legs through the holes while snapping the bodies into the holder. Very good idea!

Your right, threading the legs and trying to snap the LEDs into holder was really difficult, especially on the plus model with the extra appendages but using the legs of the old one to solder onto is far easier. With regard to the cost of the LEDs, have you tried that link I gave you for the ones from the British seller (actually in Hong Kong but very quick delivery, 4 days), they were only £4.99 for 100 LEDs and free postage?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline grizewald

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30433 on: April 30, 2019, 09:16:16 am »
If I had to take a bet about ULN2003/relay, I'd certainly place it on the relay, too. Semiconductors rarely have intermittent problems, contacts rather often.

Sweet!

The relay is indeed the same for both meters. I'm in no hurry. :)
  Lord of Sealand

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline grizewald

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30434 on: April 30, 2019, 09:18:44 am »
Your right, threading the legs and trying to snap the LEDs into holder was really difficult, especially on the plus model with the extra appendages but using the legs of the old one to solder onto is far easier.

I really don't remember it being that difficult when I replaced the LEDs on my 7150+.

I have to upgrade the LEDs in the 7151 I'm working on, so maybe I'll have a go at that this evening to refresh my memory.
  Lord of Sealand

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #30435 on: April 30, 2019, 10:06:21 am »
I called the number given to me for Inverted18650. Got phonemail and while it didn't identify the number as his I left a message anyway. I identified who I was and from the blog. I indicated that we were all concerned that we hadn't heard from him in over a month and we hope he was OK. I asked him to call me directly or log on and let us know how he's doing.

If I get a call back I'll let everyone know.

No update to this. So far there has been no response.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30436 on: April 30, 2019, 11:16:42 am »
Watch out @med seems @nixiefreqq is after your Crown of Bodge  :-DD

Time for me to sleep my last widget of the day is on the printer. Hooks a GameSir controller for one of my baby Drones (Tello) to my Galaxy Tabs protective outer. Tiny tweak needed on the controllers current mount. No fastners just a 30 degree twist to lock in place. V1 shown just needed a Tweak.

Did I mention the reduction in Bodge with a 3D Printer and a bit of practice >:D Not mentioned is the glut of hours in regaining and learning some new Cad skills along the way. I think it is worth it just need to figure out how to make it pay in the long term :palm:

went back and read the knob and foot thread.

3d printing does indeed appear to be an elegant solution, and much better than my plumbers nightmare fix for the hp17xx fractured foot plague.

diving down the rabbit hole right now would probably yield results in about a year and a half.  (and i'd be cursing you guys every minute along the way).

nope.  not gonna' do it.  spend most of my time looking at the phosphor end of the scope anyway.

Just for interest because I have never done it before looked at getting the 17xx feet contract printed by one of the usual suspects. 3Dhubs.com plenty of others out there along with likely someone nearby you. Pricing is in AUD so X about 0.7 for USD.

I set these up with the same parameters I recommended in the knobs and feet thread PETG adds a little to the price and would be easy to select.

Producing prints in PLA with say an Ender Pro is 2 hours build time and fairly much tick a box programming to slice existing models and insert a micro SD card. Reality would be watch some videos on youtube and you will have your first print in 3 or 4 hours of opening the box.

thanks for the information bean!

will noodle around on the interwebs and see who I can find locally. 

ps  your 3-4 hour estimate is waaaaaaay to optimistic since you did not account for the "bumbling old fool" factor. 
free range primate

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #30437 on: April 30, 2019, 11:22:49 am »
Take a peek at the software it is mainly a series of drop downs and clicks when you have settings that work once. This is my weapon of choice https://www.prusa3d.com/slic3r-prusa-edition/ If nothing else you can look at STL's you might like to get printed by others.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30438 on: April 30, 2019, 01:11:37 pm »
Watch out @med seems @nixiefreqq is after your Crown of Bodge  :-DD

Time for me to sleep my last widget of the day is on the printer. Hooks a GameSir controller for one of my baby Drones (Tello) to my Galaxy Tabs protective outer. Tiny tweak needed on the controllers current mount. No fastners just a 30 degree twist to lock in place. V1 shown just needed a Tweak.

Did I mention the reduction in Bodge with a 3D Printer and a bit of practice >:D Not mentioned is the glut of hours in regaining and learning some new Cad skills along the way. I think it is worth it just need to figure out how to make it pay in the long term :palm:

went back and read the knob and foot thread.

3d printing does indeed appear to be an elegant solution, and much better than my plumbers nightmare fix for the hp17xx fractured foot plague.

diving down the rabbit hole right now would probably yield results in about a year and a half.  (and i'd be cursing you guys every minute along the way).

nope.  not gonna' do it.  spend most of my time looking at the phosphor end of the scope anyway.

Just for interest because I have never done it before looked at getting the 17xx feet contract printed by one of the usual suspects. 3Dhubs.com plenty of others out there along with likely someone nearby you. Pricing is in AUD so X about 0.7 for USD.

I set these up with the same parameters I recommended in the knobs and feet thread PETG adds a little to the price and would be easy to select.

Producing prints in PLA with say an Ender Pro is 2 hours build time and fairly much tick a box programming to slice existing models and insert a micro SD card. Reality would be watch some videos on youtube and you will have your first print in 3 or 4 hours of opening the box.

thanks for the information bean!

will noodle around on the interwebs and see who I can find locally. 

ps  your 3-4 hour estimate is waaaaaaay to optimistic since you did not account for the "bumbling old fool" factor.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg1621117/#msg1621117

Naahhh... seriously. I'm a bumbler from way back; and I had my Tornado printing a test cube an hour after I cut the box open. Today's quick-build 80/20 frame 3D printers are just amazingly easy to get going; the 20% premium you pay for that "pre-assembled" design is well worth it, even to a cheap old bastahd like me. 2 major parts to bolt together, prewired, just plug in a half-dozen cables and "It's ALI-I-I-I-IVE!!!" :-+

The pic you see above is literally 3 minutes after I unpacked it.

https://youtu.be/IYy5cD8xN_Y

An hour later, I was printing this.  ;D

I bought the Tornado because 1) FAST 120VAC print bed (which, if you've been reading my story, you know has been a bit of a pain once I upgraded to mirror tile) and I had enough points on Banggood to bring the price down to ~$275 delivered.

Since then, CREALITY has supposedly redesigned their bed for a 5 minute heatup time, plus their auto-resume firmware is just bangin'.  :clap:

The difference between the CR-10 and the Tornado is mostly the care with which it has been pre-assembled and a few better-made components. For that reason, I'd recommend the CR10S over the Tornado for a complete noob, or the CR10 Mini if a 220mm x 300mm build plate will do. A word of warning: You'll soon find you wish you had "just a little bigger", no matter HOW BIG a printer you get at first. Don't worry about it; the first one will NOT "go to waste".  :-DD

Ender 3 Pro Kit 75% Assembled

bean, IIRC nobody offers the Ender 3 in a 95% pre-assembled kit in two major components like the Tornado, right? I see them at ~$209/239, but they are still more like 75% assembled vs 95% like the CR10 and the Tornado.

mnem
*wibble*
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 01:43:34 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30439 on: April 30, 2019, 01:26:12 pm »
The Creality Semi kits are still a no brainer with good pics in the instructions and square cuts on the sections. The second Ender Pro was done and printing in maybe an hour. Still pleased I started with the bigger CR-10S initially but the Enders would certainly do most jobs I need.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30440 on: April 30, 2019, 01:43:02 pm »
Yeah; the pre-assembled CNC slotted 4040 bottom on the Ender 3 resolves 90% of the assache I had with my Tarantula; getting the cruciform base square and rigid using bolt together extrusion and angle brackets was a total PITA.  |O

The rest of my headaches with the Tarantula revolved around getting the geometry right on the "X" axis and having to be crazy careful not to crack the laser-cut acrylic. The stamped aluminum brackets that come with the Tornado and the CREALITY offerings make that all just a bad dream now; especially since I shipped the whole damned thing off to my nephew in Cleveland, who was still beating his poor little head against a REALLY cheap PRUSA i3 knockoff when I went to visit for Christmas.
So yes; even compared to my Tarantula experiences, it is STILL possible to get WORSE. A LOT worse. :-DD

What do you get with the Pro over the base Ender 3 for your $30? I see MeanWell power supply and a stamped metal roll holder; anything else?

Chinese "MeanWell" is NOT the same as the "Meanwell" power products I grew up with; so that doesn't exactly impress me.

mnem
*Back to the salt mines*
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 05:29:13 pm by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30441 on: April 30, 2019, 02:02:28 pm »
Oh, duck me. Went to the kitchen to make a sandwich; came back and my pc is at 30% of a major Windows Update.  |O

“Don’t turn off your PC. This will take a while. Your PC will restart several times. You may experience some lightheadedness as we install support for Thanos and the upcoming Armageddon.”

I guess it could be worse...

mnem
Sent by threatening an iPad with further “upgrades”.
Yes, it could be worse.  My laptop pulled the 'Windows update, do not turn off' crap a few years ago when I was out in California...  ...as I went to shut it down after transferring my files to the server at the office...  ...to get on my way to go to the airport for my flight home.   |O  :palm: |O :palm: :rant: :rant: :rant:

I had to leave it there, as it was showing no apparent urgency to finish its updates, and then have it shipped home.  And it wasn't packed well enough and the screen got buggered in transit, so I had to replace that later, too.   :palm:

-Pat

Yeah, that's one of those cases where I'd have just left it on and taken it with me. Not gonna leave sensitive client info on any machine I don't have physical custody of. But that's the nature of my business, too.

In all my years, I've only had a few cases of Windoze Update causing damage that required a system restore from backup. That is the 11th commandment for a reason. ;) More than anything, it just costs wasted time. LOTS of it.

mnem
Windoze10: Worth EXACTLY what you paid for it.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 02:08:53 pm by mnementh »

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30442 on: April 30, 2019, 02:37:36 pm »
Yeah; the pre-assembled CNC slotted 8080 bottom on the Ender 3 resolves 90% of the assache I had with my Tarantula; getting the cruciform base square and rigid using bolt together extrusion and angle brackets was a total PITA.  |O

The rest of my headaches with the Tarantula revolved around getting the geometry right on the "X" axis and having to be crazy careful not to crack the laser-cut acrylic. The stamped aluminum brackets that come with the Tornado and the CREALITY offerings make that all just a bad dream now; especially since I shipped the whole damned thing off to my nephew in Cleveland, who was still beating his poor little head against a REALLY cheap PRUSA i3 knockoff when I went to visit for Christmas.
So yes; even compared to my Tarantula experiences, it is STILL possible to get WORSE. A LOT worse. :-DD

What do you get with the Pro over the base Ender 3 for your $30? I see MeanWell power supply and a stamped metal roll holder; anything else?

Chinese "MeanWell" is NOT the same as the "Meanwell" power products I grew up with; so that doesn't exactly impress me.

mnem
*Back to the salt mines*

Pro gets you the Meanwell, 40x40 Y axis instead of 40x20 flipped electronics so the bits don't get sucked into the fan  :palm: and the removable magnetic bed.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #30443 on: April 30, 2019, 04:00:39 pm »
Compensation adjustments complete on the 465B/DM44. Had an issue with channel 1 this time. As soon as I tried to adjust the 2x attenuator block it went ape shit and would not settle down. Apparently it was on the hairy edge just waiting for someone to touch it.  :-// Luckily I had a spare. Installed and golden.  :-+

For some reason the compensation and high frequency adjustments for the 465B are ridiculously complex. Much more so than the 475A which has higher bandwidth and certainly much more so than any 7000 series vertical plug-in I've done. Not sure why and I had to make a few compromises in the adjustments due to the lack of the right equipment. But all in all it turned out OK and here is no longer troublesome channel 2 displaying a 10MHz square wave from the Heath IG-4244 Calibrator.

Project is a wrap.  :-+

The following users thanked this post: bd139, 0culus

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30444 on: April 30, 2019, 05:21:26 pm »
Med, that looks really nice, job well done I'd say. :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: med6753

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30445 on: April 30, 2019, 05:24:59 pm »

med's Back, Baybee!!!    :-DD

mnem
*in best 'The Count' voice* "Two... two woorrkeeng ahnahlog 'scopes... Ahh-Ahh-Ahhhh!!!"

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #30446 on: April 30, 2019, 05:41:53 pm »

med's Back, Baybee!!!    :-DD

mnem
*in best 'The Count' voice* "Two... two woorrkeeng ahnahlog 'scopes... Ahh-Ahh-Ahhhh!!!"

Hold on to your hat. There's more. I'm on a roll today.  :-+

See next post.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #30447 on: April 30, 2019, 05:45:24 pm »
This guy again. If you recall a few weeks ago I had to replace 2 CCD hybrids in this 2430 because I accidentally overheated them. And I reported that once I figured out what had happen I was down to my last spare installed and I was doing extensive burn-ins. Well it ran fine for about a week with at least 3 dozen power cycles and then suddenly the CCD hybrid for channel 2 (which had never been replaced) suddenly crapped out with the same signature fail as the 2 prior fails on channel 1. Ah shit. It apparently was heat damaged too but took a while to reveal itself. And I have no spare.

Off to Ebay. The only source I found was Part2Go in Israel. And they wanted $45 USD for the hybrid but free shipping. And the hybrid they had was version 5. The ones I have are versions 2 through 4. I read that version 5 was NOT the same as prior versions but I decided to take a chance and ordered it. And it just so happens right before I ordered it they lowered the price to $36 USD and free shipping.

So I got it today. Guess what? Don't believe everything you read on the net. The version 5 hybrid works fine. Powered up, no errors. Tested it out and everything is fine. But it gets even better. They were only supposed to send me 1 hybrid. They accidentally sent me 2! So I have a spare.    :-+   

Here it is going through burn-ins again.

And here is the bum hybrid.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30448 on: April 30, 2019, 05:51:31 pm »
Now do your moral duty and sell the duff one on ebay as untested  :-DD

More seriously: nice one  :-+

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30449 on: April 30, 2019, 05:55:27 pm »
Feeling a little bit Jammy today, med?  :-DD

Maybe put both Rev 5 hybrids in so you don't have weird response differences between the two channels? Or gonna wait a bit and make sure no egregious failures in the meanwhile?

mnem
*currently trying to make a 17" ELO monitor die*

« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 06:05:41 pm by mnementh »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf