Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14555139 times)

Vince, Aiy, wkb and 24 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #30575 on: May 02, 2019, 02:12:15 pm »
Glug is similar in concept to a nybble being half a byte. Pretty straightforward, actually. ;)

I just set a honeycrisp apple pie out to cool and the whole house smells of fructose, flaky butter crust & cinnamon. I'm a horrible cheater though... my local grocery has a half-decent bakery; I buy from them and crisp up the crust in my convection oven when I'm ready to eat it.

Apple pie with a slice of sharp cheddar melted on top & coffee with too much HWC for breakfast... yummmmm.

I LOVE my convection oven, never doubt.  *settles in with a good book*

mnem
Is it a Publix, by chance?  The Publix here has a great bakery for being in a grocery store.  BU, your work looks fantastic and probably tastes it also.  I am a good cook (not chef) but baking eludes me.  Probably because it is formulaic, where as when I am making Italian food, if the house smells like it did growing up, I have it right.  No recipes, playing with ingredients until it is there.

Naah... it's a Kroger. They are a crapshoot; I've lived next to a dozen of 'em since I moved to Tejas, and maybe 4 of 'em had what I'd consider a decent bakery. Same with HEB, though I feel that across the chain, their meat dept standards are generally at least an order of magnitude better than anything short of Boar's Head or similar "upscale" meateries.

Texas is, in general, an utterly uncultured cesspool of commercial-hype bullshit in every respect. Food especially. Every block has a dozen BBQ, Mexican or Tex-Mex eateries proclaiming to be "the real taste of Texas" or somesuch... in reality about 1 in 10 serves anything I'd consider to be edible, and 1 in 10 of those serve what I'd call actual "food".

mnem
If I never smell Mexican food again in my life it'll be too fucking soon.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 02:15:05 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #30576 on: May 02, 2019, 02:40:52 pm »
I'm sure you heard the saying "Everything's bigger in Texas". Well, everything's bullshit in Texas because they are so full of themselves.  >:D
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30577 on: May 02, 2019, 02:59:11 pm »
Quote from: mnementh
Glug is similar in concept to a nybble being half a byte. Pretty straightforward, actually. ;)

huh.

There is another possible source for the concept: the "glug" point of an ideal bottle is a fluid dynamics concept; the point at which an inverted vessel full of liquid will "glug" due to the imbalance between atmospheric pressure and partial vacuum in the vessel created by the weight of the liquid.

These appear to be established physics concepts and even referred to as an "oscillator". If similarly applied to the flow of electrons in any of the common feedback-type oscillator circuits, a similar relationship is evident.

https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/15950/what-is-the-formula-for-the-glug-point

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.575.9453&rep=rep1&type=pdf

mnem
 :wtf:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart

The following users thanked this post: 0culus

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #30579 on: May 02, 2019, 04:48:40 pm »
Quote from: Ero-Shan on Yesterday at 09:52:05
(And don't ask me what 'GLUG' stands for - I haven't found the definition yet.)

It comes from "a small drink", such as when, if you were passing a mug of beer around and each person took a 'glug' from the mug so as to leave some for the next in line. The best definition by the engineers at Solartron is in this paragraph from the 7075 maintenance manual:

When I read 'glug', the first thing that popped up in my mind was this: The onomatopoetic word for drinking, but that seemed just too remote.

Also the glug-glug-glug sound when slowly pouring a liquid out of a narrow-necked bottle, e.g. wine.

As you so rightly say, it's about having respect for the reader.

Thank you very much. At least I'm not alone.

Such respect is no longer common, which illustrates the value of professional editors and it not being too easy to publish stuff
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: grizewald

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30581 on: May 02, 2019, 05:34:12 pm »
Got my second new-in-the-package P6106A today. Now the trick will be finding two more because I am going to be getting another 7A26 relatively soon.  :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30582 on: May 02, 2019, 07:11:41 pm »
@Ero-Shan, Yep, the plastics on those 7045 is pure crap, I used to have one of them and I'd say that they were more consumer grade personally. The one that you showing 1.0000k, I see has the dreaded missing LED indicator telling the user what range it is, V, I, R etc.

I soon got shot of my one of those, although it was spot on across all ranges, the plastic case was a rubbish, the push buttons would stick if I stacked anything on top because the plastics was broken away and that tilting display did nothing to help either.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30583 on: May 02, 2019, 07:49:09 pm »
@Ero-Shan, Yep, the plastics on those 7045 is pure crap, I used to have one of them and I'd say that they were more consumer grade personally. The one that you showing 1.0000k, I see has the dreaded missing LED indicator telling the user what range it is, V, I, R etc.

I soon got shot of my one of those, although it was spot on across all ranges, the plastic case was a rubbish, the push buttons would stick if I stacked anything on top because the plastics was broken away and that tilting display did nothing to help either.
Yes, the plastic....
After I took pictures of the inside for someone, I lost one of the standoff threads. Otherwise, I found it to be quite reliable and stable (electrically). No problems with the buttons on mine.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30584 on: May 02, 2019, 08:17:48 pm »
Yes, it was down to the poor plastics, part of the sides, where they overlap had broken off on mine so the top half was sitting too low and catching the button mechanism, I had to improvise some spacers to over come the problem.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #30585 on: May 02, 2019, 09:39:55 pm »
Over the last month, lots of hours devoted to helping two people sort through piles of spontaneously acquired gear. I've enjoyed helping and I've acquired some fixable gear and some components at good prices for my effort. Also lots of time rationalizing my ham radio and test gear and parts collection before it got completely out of control. So I haven't smelt solder smoke or suffered a bout of squinty-eye from searching for some part I dropped under my bench in quite a while.

Today I took a break from the pile of sorted components spreadsheet and spent a couple of hours building a new extender for my TM500 plugins. Who knew that soldering six or eight dozen JAMA connector pins to a PCB could be so much fun?   :-DD   I also made a big leap in my SMD hand soldering skills, so this board looks a lot better than my last SMT project, which took a fair amount of rework. I think I am ready to take on an SMD kit, as long as I can pick up the parts with tweezers...

I also made an interesting find this week, of which I will post photos later. There will be a rant wrapped around the pics.

Just sayin'   :rant:
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 09:41:55 pm by wch »
specialization is for insects.

Offline Housedad

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30586 on: May 02, 2019, 09:41:12 pm »
 :-// I don't know why, but I guess I just had a hole in my wants that needed to be filled with a Universal counter instead of just a plain frequency counter.  I bought a HP 5316B counter on Ebay last night.  I think it will look good on top of my HP 5385A.

Oh, yeah, I also bought what is probably the last surviving supposedly 'new' display module for a 5385A.  What the hell.  Peace of mind.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 09:46:22 pm by Housedad »
At least I'm still older than my test equipment

The following users thanked this post: kj7e, 0culus

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30587 on: May 02, 2019, 09:51:59 pm »
Very nice! Universal counters come in handy. I love my 5335A.

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #30588 on: May 02, 2019, 10:04:47 pm »
I've had a few 5316B's, very nice counters.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30589 on: May 02, 2019, 10:35:45 pm »

Awesome! How many did you count?

So far I'm up to ONE. And I counted that on one hand. With direct observation.  :-DD

mnem

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30590 on: May 02, 2019, 10:57:06 pm »

So far I'm up to ONE. And I counted that on one hand. With direct observation.  :-DD

mnem

Many, many MHzes  >:D

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30591 on: May 02, 2019, 11:33:06 pm »

mnem
Many, many MHzes  >:D

So how many universes is that? They all still fit in just the one, right?  :-DD

mnem
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 11:36:34 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: 0culus

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #30592 on: May 02, 2019, 11:40:26 pm »

For your reading pleasure, Here's today's

FAILURE   :-BROKE    FAILURE     :-BROKE       FAILURE       :-BROKE      FAILURE

My extender kit build went swimmingly until I realized that I soldered all the through-hole components on the wrong side of the board in spite of the fact that there is a silkscreen and this is the second extender I have built.   

|O

I say to myself, Here's the bright side. You get to try out the new FR301 desoldering tool you bought and which has been in the box, unused, for a month... .   I get out the FR301, my solder wick, flux pen, etc. I clip parts off the board, crank up the new tool and clear the board without lifting a pad. I even managed to get the test points out without damaging them.

Not bad, bill, looks like you dodged a bullet.

I solder the test points onto the right side of the board, dig up five new LEDs, and being careful to put them in the board in the right orientation, solder four of them into place, when I realize that I've put them where the two pin jumpers are to be installed.

|O   |O   |O 

I turn off the soldering station and lights and slowly back away from the bench. 

I don't think I am going to cook dinner tonight. Probably a good evening for ordering in.

specialization is for insects.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, grizewald

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30593 on: May 02, 2019, 11:57:22 pm »
Better have SWMBO do it. No telling what damage you can do with a smartphone in your current state.  :-DD

mnem
DOOOD! You found the remote to my suborbital crowbar launcher!!!   :-+  *FWOOOOOOOM!* Dude... my car... Seriously? I just made the last payment... :palm:
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 12:12:13 am by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: worsthorse

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30594 on: May 03, 2019, 01:06:45 am »
So today brought a new toy from kj7e, my very own 53310 Modulation Domain Analyzer.  :-DMM The good news is that this is an awesome toy that I never knew I needed.  :-DD

...the sad news is that UPS managed to break off one of the rear panel "feet" even with the excellent packing job.   :-- I've got all the pieces so tomorrow I'm going to try to JB weld it back together.

The following users thanked this post: kj7e, syau

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30595 on: May 03, 2019, 01:25:13 am »
And for good measure a VOR (VHF Omnidirectional Range) test signal from my 8664A sig gen.

The following users thanked this post: kj7e, Kosmic, syau

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30596 on: May 03, 2019, 02:30:35 am »
I decided to try the old Dumont 274-A Oscillograph (I guess the word oscilloscope was not invented yet  :-DD) I got part of the lot I fetched earlier this week. The inside was kind of clean but was still waiting for an explosion when I plugged-in the beast. I was astonished to see that it was kind of working. Probably need a good recap though :-DD

Talking about caps I'm probably too young but it's the first time I see those brown capacitor in wax. They look like wine bottle cork.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 04:08:45 am by Kosmic »

The following users thanked this post: kj7e, Ero-Shan, beanflying, grizewald, 0culus

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30597 on: May 03, 2019, 02:54:02 am »
...However, the MasTech has a CFM mode, calculated against a diameter an area you enter. I think if I do the sealed box thing, then cut a hole the right size for the venturi ring to seal against, I'll be able to do an apples-to-apples comparison against the stock blower no matter WHAT fan or blower I have on the back. Plus I can do idling and warmed up airflow against my working 2465 without having to open her up, and then do min/max airflow with stock blower idling/thermistor jumpered to MAX on my parts mule. And I can keep all the modded fans in/about the parts mule as well.  :-+ :-+ :-+
The Specs on the one I am getting are here. http://www.spectroscopic.com/Airflow/LCA6000va_airflow.pdf They can actually be Calibrated to a standard and are very accurate compared to the Chinese cheapies.

What the cheapies were always good for getting an idea of airspeed for us as we raised or lowered ballast in the gliders based partly on that ground figure. The bigger vaned Mastech should be better than the pocket ones. What I have been using or an older version of eBay auction: #181817310248 notice in the specs resolution is claimed but NEVER accuracy  ;)
Yeah, that is EXACTLY the one I have, only mine is yellow. The Mastech has full specs in the manual I linked above; they don't sound fabulous but at least they're there. Supposedly, it also can be calibrated.
Lessee... Resolution 0.01 in all scales, accuracy +/- 2% plus 5-50 char...? I'd hazard a guess that means real accuracy of 2% of scale, +/- half the last decimal.  :-//   Funny, anything over 100K/H is "For Reference Only"  :-DD Still, should be plenty accurate enough for a comparative analysis.

Fuck... I just realized... I've spent over $50 on this experiment already, between blowers and that anemometer. And that's not counting the Dell Server fan, which while technically was "free" salvage, is still a $25-ish name-brand part, even used. And I'm probably gonna chop up another one before I'm done.  :o

mnem
*Stupid Human Tricks*

Well, it's here. And boy, is it ever sensitive. As in, just breathing on it (not blowing at it... just breathing normally) will make the impeller move and generate a reading. Unfortunately, the built-in FLOW VOLUME calculator only accepts DUCT AREA inputs in m2 or ft2 which, for direct reading based on the area of the venturi ring, means only the last 1 or 2 significant digits have useful data. (ie 0.037ft2) This tells me that the resultant FLOW measurements will probably not have very high absolute accuracy, especially in the more sensitive CM/S and CF/M ranges. However... for our comparative analysis, I believe it should be fine.

Guess I need to get to work making an airbox...

mnem
glerp?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 12:50:42 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: kj7e, worsthorse, beanflying, Kosmic

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #30598 on: May 03, 2019, 03:51:11 am »
Sounds more promising for low speed DC fans  :) Still waiting on mine but I think it will be taking the scenic route via two states capitals due to it and my origin.  :palm:

Playing amateur Ham today my little baofeng turned up - stock antenna is  :bullshit: so I have used most of my coax test leads joined to get it up a small pole  >:D Hitting a repeater 30+km away so not terrible even with that dodge. Discone and a proper pole in the near future for this and the SDR playing.

And this slightly crusty PAT box I scored for not to much. Scrubbing brush and industrial detergent time.

edit: Photo of what is under the bonnet. ATMEGA84 based. Much safer to scrub the outer with the electrics out.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 04:43:33 am by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #30599 on: May 03, 2019, 04:19:55 am »
mnem, as requested, comparison photos attached below.

This photos confirmed that the blue case is identical, while the back cover, the B version has a really tiny bump to accommodate the thicker internal axial fan, not suitable I guess.  :-//

Added to POI.

On we go with the Solartron week.

Today's episode is titled "The strange case of the 7061". Of course there'll be lots of biggish but useless pictures and some daft commentary.

Also added.

Warning....picture heavy post. 7904 Porn.

This one, too.

Another day in the Solartron week. Today we're going to take a look at the 7060.

I was not prepared for this Solartron mass ejection. :-DD Added.

We're not done yet. The Solartron week continues ...

My little stack of 7045s

Will it ever end? :-DD It's all good, really.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 04:38:20 am by bitseeker »
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf