Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14561827 times)

ch_scr, Peter_O, cncjerry and 25 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #30775 on: May 05, 2019, 08:08:03 pm »
I did think about it but decided that the distinct sound of the rotors was music enough and maybe less offensive to some people, especially in its current livery,  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30776 on: May 05, 2019, 08:08:53 pm »
Was thinking

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #30777 on: May 05, 2019, 08:17:19 pm »
And now for something completely different, you "Mericans" should appreciate this one. A Huey preparing to fly from North Weald UK to Shuttleworth UK to day for a display at their first airshow of the season. This was something of a treat for me as it spends most of its life in a hanger and only comes out once or twice for airshows and today I was in the right spot for once.  :-+
Lame.  :P

Ya wanna be close to one when they are really scrambling  :o then wow they really honk along and send a shiver up your spine.
We're not too far from or local airbase and a couple of decades ago they were doing tactical jumps from C130's @ 20,000 feet and gliding some 15km back to the base when one of their instructors had chute malfunctions (backup too) and was lost on neighboring farmland. We saw some guys chutes that tried to stay with him and jumping on our bikes to go and see what the fuss was about and stopped on a prominent ridge when a couple of Hueys came over our heads @ warp 10 speed. Gave us quite a fright.
Anyways the poor bugger was lost and his radio beacon never went off so it took the RNZAF and army a couple of days to find him.
Meanwhile we had a full command post in the flat paddock right behind the house.......truckloads of ppls combed the countryside looking for the poor guy that had some 900 jumps behind him and left a wife and kiddies too.  :(

Think it put me off ever wanting to do a jump.  :scared:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30778 on: May 05, 2019, 08:28:12 pm »
Everyone appreciates a UH1. And it is a clear testimony to the soundness of this design that it just needed to aquire another 2 blades to play with the best. (Ok, that was slightly oversimplified..)
But what is that guy doing there? Did he really fly away? I would have been a bit anxious about that machines' handling.

But concerning that unique sound, there is a story: I sat in a office near Stuttgart together with a co-worker who also has some aviation background, when the (seemingly) unmistakeable sound of a two-bladed rotor drifted in through the window. It did swell and ebb again and again - for the better part of an hour. That was when we became suspicious. It turned out to be a piece of construction machinery in combination with the local acoustics, especially a hollow shell of a
commercial building, that created a perfect imitation Huey effect.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30779 on: May 05, 2019, 08:29:56 pm »
And now for something completely different, you "Mericans" should appreciate this one. A Huey preparing to fly from North Weald UK to Shuttleworth UK to day for a display at their first airshow of the season. This was something of a treat for me as it spends most of its life in a hanger and only comes out once or twice for airshows and today I was in the right spot for once.  :-+
Lame.  :P

Ya wanna be close to one when they are really scrambling  :o then wow they really honk along and send a shiver up your spine.
We're not too far from or local airbase and a couple of decades ago they were doing tactical jumps from C130's @ 20,000 feet and gliding some 15km back to the base when one of their instructors had chute malfunctions (backup too) and was lost on neighboring farmland. We saw some guys chutes that tried to stay with him and jumping on our bikes to go and see what the fuss was about and stopped on a prominent ridge when a couple of Hueys came over our heads @ warp 10 speed. Gave us quite a fright.
Anyways the poor bugger was lost and his radio beacon never went off so it took the RNZAF and army a couple of days to find him.
Meanwhile we had a full command post in the flat paddock right behind the house.......truckloads of ppls combed the countryside looking for the poor guy that had some 900 jumps behind him and left a wife and kiddies too.  :(

Yeah, I can imagine, I heard him returning 4 hours later when he was still around 5 miles from North Weald, strange thing with them is that you can only really hear them when they are coming towards you, once passed, they are almost silent which is not really what you want in a combat zone as the enemy can hear you coming and be ready for you  :palm:

Sorry to hear about that poor guy, well experienced as well. It sure takes a lot of guts to jump from a perfectly good plane, scare the shit out of me I can tell you.  :scared:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30780 on: May 05, 2019, 08:42:40 pm »
Everyone appreciates a UH1. And it is a clear testimony to the soundness of this design that it just needed to aquire another 2 blades to play with the best. (Ok, that was slightly oversimplified..)
But what is that guy doing there? Did he really fly away? I would have been a bit anxious about that machines' handling.

But concerning that unique sound, there is a story: I sat in a office near Stuttgart together with a co-worker who also has some aviation background, when the (seemingly) unmistakeable sound of a two-bladed rotor drifted in through the window. It did swell and ebb again and again - for the better part of an hour. That was when we became suspicious. It turned out to be a piece of construction machinery in combination with the local acoustics, especially a hollow shell of a
Yes he did just fly away, straight to Shuttleworth for his display slot and then after refuelling back to base again. Why would you be anxious about the handling of it? The pilot is the owner of it and he spent 3 days last week getting current on it again and passing his annual DA test, just wish I was aware of it flying last week.

We also regularly get some Apaches visiting the airfield and doing training runs around and above it, but always well away from most peoples cameras unless you get lucky and one of the airfield ops team stick you in one of their 4x4's and whisk us of down to the other end of the runway to watch them, then they are OK about it. I often get Apaches and Chinoock's fly over my house on their back to RAF Wattisham at all hours of the day and night.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 09:15:07 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #30781 on: May 05, 2019, 08:45:40 pm »
MV-22 Ospreys have a unique sound too. Quite unlike anything else. It's not as powerful as the Huey beating, but it still gets your attention.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30782 on: May 05, 2019, 08:45:48 pm »

Yeah won't get me jumping. I'm no taker of unnecessary risks myself!

On that subject actually, people and bits of planes fall out of the sky occasionally here. I was told last week that a person landed in a colleague's street over in Sheen a few years ago and one went through a roof in Richmond. We had a chunk of metal land in the street up the road too which appeared to have come off a plane :scared: ... living near a large airport in a desirable location has its disadvantages.

Life is tragic in some cases  :--

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30783 on: May 05, 2019, 08:53:53 pm »

On that subject actually, people and bits of planes fall out of the sky occasionally here. I was told last week that a person landed in a colleague's street over in Sheen a few years ago and one went through a roof in Richmond. We had a chunk of metal land in the street up the road too which appeared to have come off a plane :scared: ... living near a large airport in a desirable location has its disadvantages.

Yep, I left out some graphic details on purpose.  :-X
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30784 on: May 05, 2019, 08:54:47 pm »

Yes he did just fly away, straight to Shuttleworth for his display slot and then after refuelling back to base again. Why would you be anxious about the handling of it? The pilot is the owner of it and he spent 3 days last week getting current on it again and passing his annual DA test, just wish I was aware of it flying last week.

We also regularly get some Apaches visiting the airfield and doing training runs around and above it, but always well away from most peoples cameras unless you get lucky and one of the airfield ops team stick you in one of their 4x4's and whisk us of down to the other end of the runway to watch them, then they are OK about it. I often get Apaches and Chinnock's fly over my house on their back to RAF Wattisham at all hours of the day and night.
That rearward tilt on takeoff would certainly draw some comments if it wasn't his own tail rotor. 

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #30785 on: May 05, 2019, 08:57:38 pm »
Nothing like the sound of a Huey coming at you.  :-+

Well, perhaps a bunch of them are better.  :-DD

An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30786 on: May 05, 2019, 08:58:07 pm »
MV-22 Ospreys have a unique sound too. Quite unlike anything else. It's not as powerful as the Huey beating, but it still gets your attention.
Yes I agree, we have some over at RAF Mildenhall in Suffolk and I sometimes go there and also RAF Lakenheath about 3 miles away. Lakenheath is F15 fighters and Mildenhall is basically tankers, transport and special Ops with their Ospreys.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #30787 on: May 05, 2019, 09:04:12 pm »

We also regularly get some Apaches visiting the airfield and doing training runs around and above it, but always well away from most peoples cameras unless you get lucky and one of the airfield ops team stick you in one of their 4x4's and whisk us of down to the other end of the runway to watch them, then they are OK about it. I often get Apaches and Chinnock's fly over my house on their back to RAF Wattisham at all hours of the day and night.
That rearward tilt on takeoff would certainly draw some comments if it wasn't his own tail rotor.

I agree, that was an absolutely terrible take off.  :--

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #30788 on: May 05, 2019, 09:05:09 pm »
Was thinking

Great song but I fail to see the connection to the sound of a Huey?  :-//

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30789 on: May 05, 2019, 09:05:36 pm »

@med, there's something wrong with your link, its not working.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30790 on: May 05, 2019, 09:10:15 pm »
I've watched many take off's on youtube and they all seem to have that backwards tilt and there is a skid mounted beneath the tail boom to keep the tail rotor off the ground.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30791 on: May 05, 2019, 09:14:16 pm »

It's a cheesy stereotype outside of the US. Literally the moment anyone mentions anything that was loosely involved in the Vietnam war, they use that track as the soundtrack.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30792 on: May 05, 2019, 09:17:43 pm »
Well it's nuthing like when they've been scrambled and coming at you flat 'nana.
The Heuys I mentioned were on a real mission and never heard them being pushed like that before......or since.
They certainly weren't F'ing around and came over our heads only ~50' up.

Back in the day  ::) we saw them most everyday as our local airbase was one of the main RNZAF training bases.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #30793 on: May 05, 2019, 09:19:06 pm »

There's a parachute club not more than 5 miles from here and it's common to hear EMS calls for busted legs or someone hung up in a tree. But every once in a while there's a splat. I'll let you guess what that is.

They use a dehaviland twin beaver as their jump plane. Jump height is 10K feet. And before the jumpers even hit the ground that twin beaver has landed. Practically at straight down dive.  :scared:

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #30794 on: May 05, 2019, 09:23:39 pm »

It's a cheesy stereotype outside of the US. Literally the moment anyone mentions anything that was loosely involved in the Vietnam war, they use that track as the soundtrack.

Really? I think this song would be a better choice.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #30795 on: May 05, 2019, 09:24:23 pm »

@med, there's something wrong with your link, its not working.

Really? Working fine here. Anyone else having a problem?

Edit, maybe it's country restricted?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 09:33:19 pm by med6753 »

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #30796 on: May 05, 2019, 09:25:47 pm »

There's a parachute club not more than 5 miles from here and it's common to hear EMS calls for busted legs or someone hung up in a tree. But every once in a while there's a splat. I'll let you guess what that is.

They use a dehaviland twin beaver as their jump plane. Jump height is 10K feet. And before the jumpers even hit the ground that twin beaver has landed. Practically at straight down dive.  :scared:

I did half a dozen static line jumps before I became bored; essentially the sixth jump was the same as the second. (That's not true with gliding: you never know what's going to happen on the next flight!)

A few years later the plane I used (?Pilatus Porter?) had its main spar buckle during the ascent. The jumpers all said "bye bye", and the plane landed safely.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30797 on: May 05, 2019, 09:26:04 pm »

Yes, it says 'video not available'
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30798 on: May 05, 2019, 09:26:26 pm »

When the daughter was doing her pilot training 'jumpers' were referred to as meatballs.  :-DD

The dive from 'up high' is a carefully monitored event so to not cause damage to engines from too much cooling.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #30799 on: May 05, 2019, 09:35:40 pm »

Yes, it says 'video not available'

Yep, must be country restricted. Sorry.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf