Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14554441 times)

Wolfgang, BrianInTexas and 25 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #31000 on: May 10, 2019, 10:42:19 am »
Cor this thread is just depressing accounts of death and acid attacks this morning. Sounds like BBC News  :-DD

I'm tempted to grab some of those Ikea NiMh cells after reading the above. They are apparently pretty good.

@Kosmic: that's what happened to the one I had that exploded.

Elecraft still haven't sent my toy yet. >:( There is nothing worse than waiting for stuff to be sent. Apart from possibly waiting for stuff to be delivered  :scared:

My next projects are currently sitting in Customs at JFK. USPS sez they will be delivered on Saturday. I'm betting they will be stuck in that Customs black hole much longer than that.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #31001 on: May 10, 2019, 10:43:16 am »
Well seeing as I now officially have no money at all .............
Did you buy something big or did the other 'arf run off with it ?  :-//
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #31002 on: May 10, 2019, 10:45:17 am »

(and yes I know the stickers aren't straight. It was before 8am when I did this  :-DD)

I suppose that's better than after 9 AM and a few beers later where as they would be upside down.  :-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31003 on: May 10, 2019, 10:58:20 am »

Big new toy.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #31004 on: May 10, 2019, 11:02:29 am »

Big new toy.
Oh goodie, looking forward to the unveiling.  :)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #31005 on: May 10, 2019, 11:03:32 am »

Big new toy.

Memories of Heathkit. Had a few like that. Good times!  :-+

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31006 on: May 10, 2019, 11:11:57 am »
Yeah I missed Heathkit and this is the last "big one" and it's near end of life so if I don't do it i'll regret it.

If they ever dispatch the damn thing  :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31007 on: May 10, 2019, 11:12:27 am »
Slightly off topic but reading about batteries exploding etc, not that much off then.

Been watching a few videos of fires both here in the UK and in the USA as well as Europe and it strikes me that the fire depts in USA could learn a thing or two from the rest of us. It seems to me that the USA trucks don't carry any water on board and when they arrive at the scene, they wast valuable time looking around for a fire hydrant and then running hoses to it from the truck and then hoses out to the fire. By which time the buildings are often lost causes and others suffer as a result.

Does anyone actually know why they don't carry some water on their trucks at all? :-//
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 11:14:20 am by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31008 on: May 10, 2019, 11:14:08 am »
Probably evaporate by the time it gets there  :-DD

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #31009 on: May 10, 2019, 11:18:44 am »
Been on the lookout for some rack mounting.  Found some:

Think I overshot the target, though.....

« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 11:21:52 am by Brumby »

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #31010 on: May 10, 2019, 11:26:12 am »
... and they are really deep, which is actually a problem.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 11:30:39 am by Brumby »

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #31011 on: May 10, 2019, 11:29:08 am »
Got some other freebies while I was picking them up...

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #31012 on: May 10, 2019, 11:32:26 am »
Been on the lookout for some rack mounting.  Found some:

Think I overshot the target, though.....

Ambitious  :-DD I will keep looking for items to 'assist' you with your space  >:D
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #31013 on: May 10, 2019, 11:33:57 am »
I was afraid you'd say that.   :scared:

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #31014 on: May 10, 2019, 11:41:34 am »
I was afraid you'd say that.   :scared:

This one still needs a good home and is close by for you eBay auction: #254221828150 build it some racks ears and .....  :-DD

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #31015 on: May 10, 2019, 12:01:08 pm »
I may not need rack ears - there were several shelves included.  However, it's not HP (a direction in which I seem to have found myself heading) and it's definitely not in the budget.  Looks cool, though.

The really frustrating part, though, was that at the pickup, the guy had 1 piece of rack stripping, 16 units high.  If he had a second piece, I could whip up a timber frame and get myself the bench side rack I have mentioned before.  We looked high and low, but no luck.  Finding a second such piece would have made the whole exercise of getting those 2 cabinets down a flight of stairs worth the pain.

Ahhh .... you're widening the rabbit hole again!

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #31016 on: May 10, 2019, 12:08:46 pm »
Slightly off topic but reading about batteries exploding etc, not that much off then.

Been watching a few videos of fires both here in the UK and in the USA as well as Europe and it strikes me that the fire depts in USA could learn a thing or two from the rest of us. It seems to me that the USA trucks don't carry any water on board and when they arrive at the scene, they wast valuable time looking around for a fire hydrant and then running hoses to it from the truck and then hoses out to the fire. By which time the buildings are often lost causes and others suffer as a result.

Does anyone actually know why they don't carry some water on their trucks at all? :-//

I'm not sure where you got that impression. Your videos might be mostly CITY fire departments where they have fire hydrants. No such animal where I live and ALL the local fire depts have large tanker trucks to provide water.

Edit....pumper/tanker. Local fire dept.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 12:23:00 pm by med6753 »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31017 on: May 10, 2019, 12:30:56 pm »

I'm not sure where you got that impression. Your videos might be mostly CITY fire departments where they have fire hydrants. No such animal where I live and ALL the local fire depts have large tanker trucks to provide water.
You are correct, there were city depts, still makes no sense me at all as watching them getting set up, the fire goes from bad to worse, sometimes being a total loss before they bring water to the fire. I did see one USA dept in the countryside that took 2 big water tankers to a fire that consumed 3 houses before they could control it, this despite the fact there was a large river at the rear of the house were they could have dropped hoses into for a supply  :palm:

Contrasted that to a house fire in Oxford UK that took out the roofs of the 2 houses that were semi detached and because we always carry water, they had hose's supplying water to the fire within 28 seconds of arriving at the scene and the 2 houses were as a result saved with minor damage, verses total losses over the pond of 3 houses (started with the one) and they are all completely detached as well  :palm: :-DD Not that its a laughing matter really but what a difference it makes with a well trained and disciplined team that carry enough water to a scene to enable water to be used early in the process while others hunt down a hydrant to provide continuous supply :-+ :scared:
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 12:33:46 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #31018 on: May 10, 2019, 01:03:06 pm »
Like big iron? It won't get any bigger than this. Union Pacific "Big Boy" 4014 on first run after 5 year restoration. The last big boy was taken out of service in 1961. The run was from Cheyenne, Wyoming to Ogden, Utah to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the trans-continental railroad. Accompanied by UP 844 Challenger. I think the big boys were the largest steam locos ever made. 6000 HP. I've seen one on static display and they are HUGE. And I love that whistle. Nothing says get the fuck out of the way like that low pitched whistle. Certainly unlike the European high pitched wimpy.  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, nixiefreqq

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31019 on: May 10, 2019, 01:14:32 pm »
Like big iron? It won't get any bigger than this. Union Pacific "Big Boy" 4014 on first run after 5 year restoration. The last big boy was taken out of service in 1961. The run was from Cheyenne, Wyoming to Ogden, Utah to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the trans-continental railroad. Accompanied by UP 844 Challenger. I think the big boys were the largest steam locos ever made. 6000 HP. I've seen one on static display and they are HUGE. And I love that whistle. Nothing says get the fuck out of the way like that low pitched whistle. Certainly unlike the European high pitched wimpy.  :-DD

thanks for that!

been 23 years since my last trip to the steam museum in Scranton.

do you happen to know if they still have a big boy sitting out front?
free range primate

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31020 on: May 10, 2019, 01:15:25 pm »
Bloody hell that thing is enormous.

I think our best effort over here is the class 91. 6480hp but electric.

Offline grbk

• Contributor
« Reply #31021 on: May 10, 2019, 01:30:38 pm »
I know many of you were concerned about inverted18650. This ebay listing came up in my saved searches this morning:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/401763768254

Description says: "Formerly iDG/ Inverted18650. Selling everything in the shop due to medical condition. Everything must go, including domain names etc. Check my other items and buy with confidence. Thank you for looking and Cheers."

So it sounds like he's still with us, although the concerns about his health unfortunately were justified.

Perhaps someone could use a nice-looking 34401 for a decent price, and help him out with medical expenses while you're at it?

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, kj7e, mnementh, neo, URI, beanflying, syau

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #31022 on: May 10, 2019, 01:48:24 pm »
Bloody hell that thing is enormous.

... but not very long by US standards.

If you have to wait for one at a level crossing, it becomes very tedious as it continues to trundle past for what seems like an eternity.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #31023 on: May 10, 2019, 02:13:41 pm »

thanks for that!

been 23 years since my last trip to the steam museum in Scranton.

do you happen to know if they still have a big boy sitting out front?

Yes, the big boy is still in Scranton. There's also one on static display in Cheyenne, Wyoming. The one they restored I think came from a static display in California. 

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #31024 on: May 10, 2019, 02:15:03 pm »
I know many of you were concerned about inverted18650. This ebay listing came up in my saved searches this morning:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/401763768254

Description says: "Formerly iDG/ Inverted18650. Selling everything in the shop due to medical condition. Everything must go, including domain names etc. Check my other items and buy with confidence. Thank you for looking and Cheers."

So it sounds like he's still with us, although the concerns about his health unfortunately were justified.

Perhaps someone could use a nice-looking 34401 for a decent price, and help him out with medical expenses while you're at it?

Located in Clarksville, TN. Sounds like him.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf