Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14790553 times)

ArtFromNY and 122 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #31900 on: May 24, 2019, 05:04:04 pm »
So there's a slim chance that you guys might stay with the EU after all?

We have our version of looney tunes here and apparently you have yours. Why should we have all the fun?  |O

P.S.....I don't watch or read the national news anymore. It's a total cluster. Drain the swamp in DC? More like nuke it and start over.  :palm:
A very slim chance indeed. Brexit party is likely to pole most votes because the gammon that makes up the rank and file of the members are of the slappy slogan chanters are blindly believe what their leader tells them. That means that the new PM will probably do it.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #31901 on: May 24, 2019, 05:10:59 pm »

As you like it...  >:D
Primary Red? Does it have a Secondary Red, too? >:D

Yes. And tertiary red as well; as many shades as you care to program with the remote.  >:D

Yesterday I received my new rectal thermometer. ;)

Here it is in comparison to my own contraption. I know they're almost indistinguishable, but let me tell you: real experts can tell them apart!  :-DD

I think I got kinda lucky here. Previously, I've only seen HV probes of unknown provenience for prices above 80 €. Now I got a real Fluke for less than half of that, with shipping. I think that actually was a fluke.

Welcome to Probulator Club!
   OK, I guess I'll join in. Another Fluke probulator. Actually, I didn't realize how many different probulators I had in the shot.

BTW, mnem, the P2200 probes are there in their packaging, awaiting the bg7tbl noise generator so I can test their spectrum.
   Can I join the probulator club?

Those little ones don't count; they have to be big enough to be a "terror object" to be a proper Probulator.  >:D They're at best a "mild startlement object", and then only when they take a nosedive directly for your feet.  :P

You're both already in. You just didn't know it.  :-DD

Just because  >:D 0.6W from the bum from 6x 5050 LED's. 10% powered engrave is the winner and I should have cleaned them prior to pics  :palm:

Looking good!  so you needed more "depth of cut" as I was ruminating earlier?   I wonder if your rig can do the 3D bubble objects thing I was talking about earlier...

mnem
 :popcorn:

« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 05:13:16 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #31902 on: May 24, 2019, 05:11:57 pm »
Online would be a WOFTAM and no $ return. Take custom creations to a local market talk face to face with people and offer Bespoke one offs of anything is very different in particular when I can add in CNC timber bases to the mix. Commercial custom work is always there too.

Shallow engraving is better than deep it seems for clarity and also has a much cleaner surface so a cleaner look from the front. These two are 3mm thick, 2mm is to fragile as well as shoving the light in issues and 4.5 unless much larger panels are used just more material than needed.

V2 base is ready to print tomorrow and I have some discrete diffused LEDs I might have a play with to get it on 5V supply. Having fun regardless  ;)
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31903 on: May 24, 2019, 05:24:49 pm »

https://www.sparkfun.com/news/2869
I think the reason they use the 4MM material is the "look"; that thick edge just feels more "The Schizz".   If you're going to sell these, I fear you may have to step up to 4mm or you'll get people talking your stuff down as "cheap" as it appears to be what is "the standard" of the industry.*

Is there a reason you want 5V? "Plug into USB" power?

mnem
*Just my initial reaction; As always, take anything I say with a grain of salt big enough to pickle a dragon. ;)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 05:57:12 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31904 on: May 24, 2019, 05:35:12 pm »

We have our version of looney tunes here and apparently you have yours. Why should we have all the fun?  |O

P.S.....I don't watch or read the national news anymore. It's a total cluster. Drain the swamp in DC? More like nuke it and start over.  :palm:
A very slim chance indeed. Brexit party is likely to pole most votes because the gammon that makes up the rank and file of the members are of the slappy slogan chanters are blindly believe what their leader tells them. That means that the new PM will probably do it.

We need Lord Buckethead back

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBgM8Esoy99vDtfbNPC2peA/videos

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #31905 on: May 24, 2019, 05:41:29 pm »
4.5 over the 3mm at this size is about $0.25 worth of material so not really a cost issue and it is partially a base to blade weight balance. The demo one is already marginal without going wider on the base with 3mm. Yep we live in a USB 5V world so it makes sense to go that way over 12V for these smaller ones.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31906 on: May 24, 2019, 05:53:13 pm »
https://youtu.be/ebzooSdAbGE

bd, you bastard; there's 4 minutes of my life I'll never get back.  :-DD

What the hell happened to this guy? It looks like he launched in the middle of 2017, got a fair amount of views, then disappeared after Christmas 2017... did he step out in front of a bus or some schizz?

mnem
I support every American's right to keep and arm bears.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31907 on: May 24, 2019, 06:00:15 pm »

:-DD :-DD I think your right  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31908 on: May 24, 2019, 06:00:41 pm »
4.5 over the 3mm at this size is about $0.25 worth of material so not really a cost issue and it is partially a base to blade weight balance. The demo one is already marginal without going wider on the base with 3mm. Yep we live in a USB 5V world so it makes sense to go that way over 12V for these smaller ones.

Yup; makes sense. The 5050/3028 RGB are usually 12V, while the WS2812 light strip is usually 5V. Mmmm... would you look at that delicious 144 LED/m high-density stuff...  :P Yummy. But it looks like now there's a better selection of 5V RGB than the last time I looked; you can tell the difference because it is 1 LED/cell where the 12V is 3LEDs/cell. You can probably get away without having to roll your own lightbars if you shop carefully; would make profitable-scale production easier to attain.

mnem
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 06:02:47 pm by mnementh »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31909 on: May 24, 2019, 06:05:51 pm »
https://youtu.be/ebzooSdAbGE

bd, you bastard; there's 4 minutes of my life I'll never get back.  :-DD

What the hell happened to this guy? It looks like he launched in the middle of 2017, got a fair amount of views, then disappeared after Christmas 2017... did he step out in front of a bus or some schizz?

mnem
I support every American's right to keep and arm bears.

I think that Trumps henchmen got to him and stuffed him in a bucket.
Who let Murphy in?

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #31910 on: May 24, 2019, 06:54:04 pm »
med6753 wrote: "I R confused about something. So it seems that Ms. May is resigning. And her party will appoint a new PM. That's what I don't understand. I thought when ever a PM resigns that sparks a general election by the people to elect a new PM. How come not in this case?"

... but wasn't quoted by...

Fixed-term Parliaments Act 2011 killed that off.

Previously PM changes did not necessarily cause a general election, e.g. Thatcher->Major, Blair->Brown.

Now having a reduced-term parliament is possible, but far more difficult.

BTW, I snipped the part of your post that I agreed with, mainly because it is contentious politics, and we know where that leads.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #31911 on: May 24, 2019, 07:30:21 pm »
A dirty 'pron' magazine from the 70s, includes lovely figures as well!
A give away from one of the guys at my ham club tonight. Thanks... atq!
Note to Pat - includes dot - LED data.
Rob

Since we are sharing, little more databook pron: two of my hamvention finds...

I dunno. I think I enjoy these old data books and instruction manuals way more than I should.   :-DD
specialization is for insects.

The following users thanked this post: 0culus

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31912 on: May 24, 2019, 08:05:20 pm »
med6753 wrote: "I R confused about something. So it seems that Ms. May is resigning. And her party will appoint a new PM. That's what I don't understand. I thought when ever a PM resigns that sparks a general election by the people to elect a new PM. How come not in this case?"

Previously PM changes did not necessarily cause a general election, e.g. Thatcher->Major, Blair->Brown.

BTW, I snipped the part of your post that I agreed with, mainly because it is contentious politics, and we know where that leads.

I may have misinterpreted something there. Good point with Thatcher/Major and Blair/Brown.

I'd like to apologise for the political diversion and rant there as I was stuck with "brexit mother in law who's brain has gone wonky" on and off who is in hospital having an emergency hip replacement after a fall and I've been taxi driver this week. Does my head in.  I shall say nothing more :)

It's the weekend now so I'm off shift now. Brilliant. Going to here tomorrow ( https://www.wbstudiotour.co.uk/ ) again for the second time, followed by the remainder of the weekend hawking shit on ebay as it's a £1 listing weekend. Once the K2 is paid up I shall endeavor to return to full TEA capacity and intend to hit Newbury rally in a months' time: http://nadars.org.uk/

Minor contribution to TEA related to the K2. The HP 400E voltmeter is absolutely one of the best bits of gear I own. The analogue readout is so much better for peaking filters and general signal level measurement assuming it's not too non-linear. I was doing some research on Elecraft's product development and found this bit of test gear pr0n which is interesting. There is an HP 400FL there sticking out as the oldest bit of kit on the bench by a mile:

The following users thanked this post: kj7e, 0culus

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #31913 on: May 24, 2019, 08:07:02 pm »

WTF? Must come the same planet as this guy.... :P
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #31914 on: May 24, 2019, 08:13:27 pm »

I'd like to apologise for the political diversion and rant there as I was stuck with "brexit mother in law who's brain has gone wonky" on and off who is in hospital having an emergency hip replacement after a fall and I've been taxi driver this week. Does my head in.  I shall say nothing more :)

Hold it...back up the bus!   :o Mother-in-law?  :-// I thought You and Wifey were splitsville? If yes then why are YOU the taxi? As I see...if wifey gone then MIL more gone.  :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31915 on: May 24, 2019, 08:20:37 pm »
Yeah we are but still live in the same space i.e. she lives on the sofa  :-DD (for now). Things are complicated shall we say and I'm trying to avoid any legal battles or changes to the kids by playing the long game. Thus compromises have to be made on both sides. Unfortunately that means occasional taxi job. TBH if someone is ill or needs support, that should come before any social or political differences.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 08:23:11 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31916 on: May 24, 2019, 08:22:26 pm »

I may have misinterpreted something there. Good point with Thatcher/Major and Blair/Brown.

It's the weekend now so I'm off shift now. Brilliant. Going to here tomorrow ( https://www.wbstudiotour.co.uk/ ) again for the second time, followed by the remainder of the weekend hawking shit on ebay as it's a £1 listing weekend. Once the K2 is paid up I shall endeavor to return to full TEA capacity and intend to hit Newbury rally in a months' time: http://nadars.org.uk/

Minor contribution to TEA related to the K2. The HP 400E voltmeter is absolutely one of the best bits of gear I own. The analogue readout is so much better for peaking filters and general signal level measurement assuming it's not too non-linear. I was doing some research on Elecraft's product development and found this bit of test gear pr0n which is interesting. There is an HP 400FL there sticking out as the oldest bit of kit on the bench by a mile:

No need to apologise for the rant, been said before, its what would be said if we were to meet at the local watering hole for our meetings, you can overloaded on TEA matters at times and a slight diversion is often welcome.

That hip operation can be nasty, my Mum had that done after a fall and was closely followed by a massive stroke, so good luck on that front, you could be playing taxi service for sometime yet.

Enjoy your tour tomorrow, I've done that and it is brilliant and you really must try the Butterbeer when you get to that part of the tour, I liked that and reckon it ought sold in shops.

Totally agree with the analogue meters for peaking filters and IF cans etc, even without a HP400E, I use my AVO or TMK meters for that function, digitals are to distracting with the constant blur of changing digits, can also of course use the barograph of my BM867 as it responds so smoothly in that role. :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31917 on: May 24, 2019, 08:28:41 pm »
Edit: hopefully no stroke. Been there with family before. Not a good time  :-- I feel for you.

Yes it's excellent. We went a few years ago. Apparently they have updated lots of things. The butterbeer is VILE  :-DD

Typically I couldn't help notice the powerpoles here (photo from last visit):

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31918 on: May 24, 2019, 08:55:12 pm »
Sadly Mum passed on a few years back, she was at home in bed with daily carers coming 4 times a day to tend to her. I think Butterbeer is scrumptious, so you could get me some if they'll let you  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #31919 on: May 24, 2019, 09:11:38 pm »
A dirty 'pron' magazine from the 70s, includes lovely figures as well!
A give away from one of the guys at my ham club tonight. Thanks... atq!
Note to Pat - includes dot - LED data.
Rob

Since we are sharing, little more databook pron: two of my hamvention finds...

I dunno. I think I enjoy these old data books and instruction manuals way more than I should.   :-DD

Lovely - I think a big part of the appeal is the font size - you can actually read it.
Also the parts are understandable - not some massive ASIC/FPGA. The books are also not some dodgy pdf - I am showing my age but if I am trying to fix something on the bench, reading off paper seems so much easier than a screen (but the bench monitor is pretty much a museum piece)
Bah-humbug.... get off my lawn...... etc
Rob
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #31920 on: May 24, 2019, 10:17:25 pm »
Minor contribution to TEA related to the K2. The HP 400E voltmeter is absolutely one of the best bits of gear I own. The analogue readout is so much better for peaking filters and general signal level measurement assuming it's not too non-linear.

I hear ya!  ;)
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: bd139, 0culus

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #31921 on: May 24, 2019, 10:45:20 pm »
Man, that is nice looking. Now I want one.  :-DD

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #31922 on: May 24, 2019, 10:54:36 pm »

Can't have mine!  :box:
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #31923 on: May 24, 2019, 11:25:39 pm »

[provocative:on]

Sacrilege ... you should have one.  >:D

[provocative:off]

Not HP though, mine ... :P

The following users thanked this post: 0culus

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #31924 on: May 25, 2019, 12:00:57 am »
Who said one - what is that word? You need a back up and a parts unit!
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

The following users thanked this post: BravoV, xrunner, bd139, beanflying, 0culus

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf