Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14819982 times)

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #31925 on: May 25, 2019, 12:19:39 am »
And a foot donor!
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #31926 on: May 25, 2019, 12:27:34 am »
Who said one - what is that word?

B.U.S.T.E.D  D.M.M.   >:D  :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #31927 on: May 25, 2019, 01:06:21 am »
I feel so inadequate. All I have is a lowly Heath VTVM.  :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #31928 on: May 25, 2019, 01:14:42 am »

Heath - good on that first letter. Now we need to work on a P ...

In no time your inadequacies will vanish. We are here to help!  8)
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #31929 on: May 25, 2019, 02:00:51 am »

Heath - good on that first letter. Now we need to work on a P ...

In no time your inadequacies will vanish. We are here to help!  8)

Nice manual here for @med that needs a Meter added to it  >:D eBay auction: #273844955544

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline bsfeechannel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31930 on: May 25, 2019, 02:07:46 am »

High voltages, no fuse, no ground wire. Way back when it was every man for himself.

I love it.

It separated the men from the little boys and gave Darwin a fighting chance.  >:D :-DD

That was a good one. Speaking of Darwin, may I entertain you with the most cringe-worthy attempt at restoring a vintage scope ever? I stumbled upon this video while looking for information on the OL-1. It's a bit old and might have even been posted before on the forum, but here we go.

She's a big fan of Ave's, who is known as an attentive, careful and meticulous restorer.

SPOILER ALERT

Despite all the advice given by her viewers, she insisted on the same mistakes, blew another vintage tube and gave up, saying "[she doesn't] want to waste all [her] time restoring old junk" in the comments.

It was so emotional a drama that I cried uncontrollably in the end.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #31931 on: May 25, 2019, 02:11:46 am »
   Somewhere I have buried the good ol' Micronta 22-220 FET multimeter; it's the only analog meter I kept.

mnem
Okay, I still have some 5" panel meters in the "Electronics Labs" box. Smeesh. ::)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 02:17:58 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31932 on: May 25, 2019, 02:14:27 am »
   Somewhere I have buried the good ol' Micronta 22-220 FET multimeter; it's the only analog meter I kept.

mnem
Okay, I still have some 5" panel meters in the "Electronics Labs" box. Smeesh. ::)

Clearly you 'need' one of them new fangled Nixie ones then  :-DD eBay auction: #323786990496

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #31933 on: May 25, 2019, 02:26:34 am »

High voltages, no fuse, no ground wire. Way back when it was every man for himself.

I love it.

It separated the men from the little boys and gave Darwin a fighting chance.  >:D :-DD

That was a good one. Speaking of Darwin, may I entertain you with the most cringe-worthy attempt at restoring a vintage scope ever? I stumbled upon this video while looking for information on the OL-1. It's a bit old and might have even been posted before on the forum, but here we go.

.........snip

I don't even have to watch it to know what she did. The tube she's holding is the 6X4 B+ Rectifier. It blew out either because she didn't change the filter capacitors or there was a short somewhere else in the B+ string. I'll bet it was the former. All the filter caps in the OL-1 I'm repairing are indeed shorted and now UPS is saying they will be delivered Tuesday.

Not going to waste my time watching stupidity.  :--
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #31934 on: May 25, 2019, 02:28:06 am »

mnem
   Clearly you 'need' one of them new fangled Nixie ones then  :-DD eBay auction: #323786990496

Naaah, thanks... I'm trying to cut back.:-DD  I have a IM-1202 buried too; probably in the same box as the 22-220.  :-\

mnem
Nixie gear is like tattoos: One is a statement; more than that becomes a lifestyle. Which I'm not prepared for. :o
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 02:30:09 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #31935 on: May 25, 2019, 02:30:51 am »
We are here to help!  8)

I know this help - first hand - and it looks like Bean is still giving.

The following users thanked this post: beanflying

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #31936 on: May 25, 2019, 02:34:50 am »
Such a giving community, TEA is. :-DD
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31937 on: May 25, 2019, 02:42:17 am »
As part of my Day job I push Drugs on the Caffeine deprived masses. Transitioning to being a TEA Pusher is a doddle  >:D

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #31938 on: May 25, 2019, 03:13:40 am »
Who said one - what is that word? You need a back up and a parts unit!

Truth. At the moment I am working on acquiring RF power meter sensors. I have a line on a 438A, but the guy only has one sensor for it.

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31939 on: May 25, 2019, 03:21:44 am »
Broke my wonderful Tek P6056 probe trying to adjust compensation |O. You need to rotate the body of the probe (screw / unscrew) and went probably a bit too hard.

The good news is that I broke the secondary resistor and cap not the main one in the tip. I should be able to fix that :phew:

Also for those Interested, I updated my previous post where I tested the frequency response of multiple probes. Added the Hantek T3100 and P4100 probes.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg2416473/#msg2416473

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #31940 on: May 25, 2019, 03:23:27 am »
Truth. At the moment I am working on acquiring RF power meter sensors. I have a line on a 438A, but the guy only has one sensor for it.

Good luck. I still want an hp power meter with a sensor. You can buy the meters easily but finding the sensor isn't quite so easy. I think the sensor is something that is easily ruined, if you know what I mean.  :(
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31941 on: May 25, 2019, 03:29:14 am »

Good luck. I still want an hp power meter with a sensor. You can buy the meters easily but finding the sensor isn't quite so easy. I think the sensor is something that is easily ruined, if you know what I mean.  :(

Also watch out if you buy a random meter and separate sensor. Most of the time those need to be calibrated together. Depending on the equipment required for the calibration you might not be able to do it yourself.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31942 on: May 25, 2019, 03:33:11 am »

Also watch out if you buy a random meter and separate sensor. Most of the time those need to be calibrated together. Depending on the equipment required for the calibration you might not be able to do it yourself.

My plan is to pay to have these done by a professional, including my 432A + 478A thermistor (Keysight still does the 478A) in order to have a reference I can trust. The idea is to collect the gear I need to calibrate other test equipment.  :-+

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31943 on: May 25, 2019, 03:40:29 am »
On my side, my Boonton 4300 power meter came with the optional calibrator (-60 to +20 dBm, 0.1 dBm steps, accuracy 0.05dB). So I can do the AC calibration of the sensor myself.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31944 on: May 25, 2019, 03:41:51 am »
I promise there will be no more Gratuitous HP Logo shots for at least a day or two ;) Daylight shot with the shack lights on behind as well and still plenty of power under it, light Raster engraved outline only. Think I like this more than the fully engraved logo.

The following users thanked this post: kj7e

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31945 on: May 25, 2019, 03:48:00 am »
On my side, my Boonton 4300 power meter came with the optional calibrator (-60 to +20 dBm, 0.1 dBm steps, accuracy 0.05dB). So I can do the AC calibration of the sensor myself.

As far as I can tell, having a trustworthy closed loop power meter is extremely useful just for that reason. This is why Keysight still works on 478A thermistor mounts, because they are still used as an absolute reference for open loop meters.

Offline bsfeechannel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31946 on: May 25, 2019, 04:10:03 am »
All the filter caps in the OL-1 I'm repairing are indeed shorted and now UPS is saying they will be delivered Tuesday.

Oh yeah. I'm following this thread because of your work on that scope. I simply love restoration of old electronics.

Not going to waste my time watching stupidity.  :--

I just posted it because I found it hilarious. I don't expect anyone to actually watch it (that's why the "SPOILER ALERT").

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #31947 on: May 25, 2019, 05:41:38 am »
I promise there will be no more Gratuitous HP Logo shots for at least a day or two ;) Daylight shot with the shack lights on behind as well and still plenty of power under it, light Raster engraved outline only. Think I like this more than the fully engraved logo.
Looks really cool!
Rob
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31948 on: May 25, 2019, 06:21:00 am »
Looks really cool!
Rob

I should have got into some Acrylic with the Laser ages ago instead of mainly Balsa and Ply work. Just finalising an order for the equivalent of three 8x4' sheets of assorted material instead of paying 4-6 times the price for very limited options locally. Just need to find some room to stash it flat then  :palm:

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31949 on: May 25, 2019, 08:27:31 am »
And what is wrong with that? Back in the day that was all most people had and they managed perfectly OK.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf