Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14822743 times)

Ice-Tea and 214 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #31950 on: May 25, 2019, 08:41:33 am »
Clearly you 'need' one of them new fangled Nixie ones then  :-DD eBay auction: #323786990496

That's a close shave: they don't ship to the UK.

I have test equipment with Panaplex, LCD, LED (including dots rather than segments), CRT, dekatron displays - but no nixies.

The completist urge in me is becoming unbearable. So far I can suppress it by not searching for "nixie".
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #31951 on: May 25, 2019, 08:47:48 am »
Clearly you 'need' one of them new fangled Nixie ones then  :-DD eBay auction: #323786990496

I have test equipment with Panaplex, LCD, LED (including dots rather than segments), CRT, dekatron displays - but no nixies.

The completist urge in me is becoming unbearable. So far I can suppress it by not searching for "nixie".

>:D eBay auction: #192925024737

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #31952 on: May 25, 2019, 08:53:23 am »

That's a nice DMM and the price is right but alas....they don't ship to the US.  :-//
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31953 on: May 25, 2019, 08:57:25 am »
Broke my wonderful Tek P6056 probe trying to adjust compensation |O.

Ouch.

I very much like my (three) HP equivalents, the HP10020A. No adjustments, <0.7pF, better ground "spear" which can be moved.

You have to have patience to find them, though.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #31954 on: May 25, 2019, 08:58:46 am »
The UPS "weather alert" for my package from Mouser has been lifted and it currently sits in Syracuse, NY which is about 200 miles away. Might as well be in China because of the Memorial Day weekend won't be delivered until Tuesday.  |O

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31955 on: May 25, 2019, 09:00:04 am »

nA too.

I don't like you. Go away.

Is there any way of blocking individual pushers?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #31956 on: May 25, 2019, 09:04:56 am »

nA too.

You can put Bean on "ignore".  :-DD But you know you want that DMM. I would certainly go for it if I were over there.

Unless you buy it you're going to have to put all of us on ignore.  >:D :-DD :-DD

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31957 on: May 25, 2019, 10:02:17 am »

nA too.

You can put Bean on "ignore".  :-DD But you know you want that DMM. I would certainly go for it if I were over there.

Shows how much I know about the forum!

In general I dislike the concept of filtering out dissenting voices, since that means I can miss useful information. In particular I hate automated systems that do it "for me". e.g.
  • ISP spam filters; my MUA's bayesian filter is, by definition, exactly suited to my preferences
  • echo chambers; need I mention farceBook?

Having said that, I do have custom-crafted "ignore subthread" filters on usenet groups, for the persistent trolls and wingnuts.

Unless you buy it you're going to have to put all of us on ignore.  >:D :-DD :-DD

Yup, that's the killer problem. Hotel California.

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #31958 on: May 25, 2019, 11:26:11 am »
Yesterday I received my new rectal thermometer. ;)

Here it is in comparison to my own contraption. I know they're almost indistinguishable, but let me tell you: real experts can tell them apart!  :-DD

I think I got kinda lucky here. Previously, I've only seen HV probes of unknown provenience for prices above 80 €. Now I got a real Fluke for less than half of that, with shipping. I think that actually was a fluke.

Welcome to Probulator Club!

OK, I guess I'll join in. Another Fluke probulator. Actually, I didn't realize how many different probulators I had in the shot.

BTW, mnem, the P2200 probes are there in their packaging, awaiting the bg7tbl noise generator so I can test their spectrum.

Can I join the probulator club?

You're welcome!

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #31959 on: May 25, 2019, 11:44:07 am »

Hu? How did you manage that? I have TE with Panaplex, LCD, LED (alas not real dotted ones, but 2-part segments), VFD, CRT, Nixies - but no dekatrons.
Nixies are easy to find and sometimes even cheap. Dekatrons never turned up in my searches. And it certainly is not because I avoid them ... :(

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #31960 on: May 25, 2019, 11:54:28 am »

nA too.

I don't like all of you. It seems to be in better shape than mine. I'm sure I don't want 2 of them. Yes, of course I'm sure. No one needs 2 DMMs, even less 2 of the same kind.
It also reminds me that I forgot to include its brother frequency counter in my counter gathering picture. |O

Damn it! Why do you do this to me?

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #31961 on: May 25, 2019, 12:18:27 pm »
Just because the Lolly Jar is out on display doesn't mean you need to remove the lid and consume  >:D :-DD
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #31962 on: May 25, 2019, 12:58:39 pm »
Bean .... you are evil.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31963 on: May 25, 2019, 01:21:09 pm »

Hu? How did you manage that? I have TE with Panaplex, LCD, LED (alas not real dotted ones, but 2-part segments), VFD, CRT, Nixies - but no dekatrons.
Nixies are easy to find and sometimes even cheap. Dekatrons never turned up in my searches. And it certainly is not because I avoid them ... :(

Drat: forgot the VFD in my Solartron 7081.

The dekatron counter is this this Griffin Geiger counter. Getting it was mildly interesting. I saw it in an auction within travelling distance, but before I bid the venue was changed to be "too far to bother". A few weeks later it materialised at a hamfest, so I snapped it up.

The dotted display is an HP5302A like

Anybody want my spare Solarton 7075 DVM, with Panaplex goodness, a lead (Fischer connector!), and custom carrying case? That will leave me with only two panaplex DVMs.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 06:45:28 pm by tggzzz »

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31964 on: May 25, 2019, 03:24:24 pm »
For completeness, I did another round of probe testing. This time the idea is to submit the probe to a sharp square pulse and observe the rise time, overshoot and general waveform distortions.

Table of content:

(Including previous tests)

Part 1, Batch 1 Frequency response
-->Part 2, Batch 1 Fast pulse
Part 3, Batch 2 Frequency response
Part 4, Batch 2 Fast pulse
Part 5, Batch 3 Frequency response
Part 6, Batch 3 Fast pulse

The Setup:
The probes are connected to my Lecroy oscilloscope calibration port via a probe-to-bnc adapter. The Calibration port is outputting a square pulse at 2Mhz, 1V, <= 1ns rise time, 25 ns width. Impedance is 1MOhms.

*Every probes as been compensated before running the test.

Kuman P6100 100Mhz:

JinHao P6100 100Mhz:

NoName Chinese P6500 500Mhz

Cleqee P4100 100Mhz 100x:

Hantek T3100 100Mhz 100x:

Tektronix P6106 250Mhz:

Tektronix P6054a 150Mhz

Tektronix P6056 3.5Ghz 50Ohms

60dbm.com Active Probe 1Ghz 50Ohms
(Attenuation is to be expected here)

Conclusion:
  • I think everybody should avoid cheap P6100 probes . Even real Hantek probes seem to perform better.
  • The cheap active probe is surprisingly a good performer.
  • Tektronix probes are generally really good.

For those interested, Part 1 is here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg2416473/#msg2416473
« Last Edit: December 08, 2021, 11:59:10 pm by Kosmic »

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, _Wim_, med6753, mnementh, worsthorse, URI, Ero-Shan

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #31965 on: May 25, 2019, 04:07:58 pm »
My neighbour has spent the past 20 minutes mowing his scrawny 5 square metre "lawn" with barely any grass on it.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #31966 on: May 25, 2019, 04:14:48 pm »
Still going. He's been mowing literally the same spot of dirt for 5 minutes now.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31967 on: May 25, 2019, 04:23:50 pm »
At least it’s not my ex Boss’s neighbour who I saw a video of him mowing AstroTurf.

@Kosmic: excellent work. Thanks for doing this. Suspicions confirmed: tek probes are the best.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #31968 on: May 25, 2019, 04:26:11 pm »
Still going. At this point I'm having serious doubts about his mental well-being.

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31969 on: May 25, 2019, 04:57:58 pm »
Poor guy he like to mow lawns but he doesn’t have much  ^-^

Not my case, I try to do it only when it's really necessary.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 04:59:43 pm by Kosmic »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31970 on: May 25, 2019, 05:10:24 pm »
Still going. At this point I'm having serious doubts about his mental well-being.
I think he might know that you're watching him and he's winding you up[emoji12]

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #31971 on: May 25, 2019, 05:10:35 pm »
It has been a very wet and cool Spring here and the grass is growing like it's on steroids. Land lord has had to mow twice a week or it gets out of control.  :scared:

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #31972 on: May 25, 2019, 05:14:59 pm »
Poor guy he like to mow lawns but he doesn’t have much  ^-^

Not my case, I try to do it only when it's really necessary.
I think he was trying to use the lawn mower to suck some left over debris out of the grass and dirt after moving a huge pile of junk from one side of the yard to the other. He's now been trimming his one square metre flower patch with some electric trimmer for the past hour. He seems to display a rather unusual combination of being anal while also being both completely inefficient and lazy. If he'd just used his hands he'd be done hours ago.

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #31973 on: May 25, 2019, 05:44:06 pm »
Share your love of TEA

In the thread about whether or not to divide up the Test Equipment forum, a secondary discussion has been growing about this thread.

Med and tggzzz have been giving feedback to Dave who isn't familiar with our little community. It'd be great if you, the regulars who make TEA what it is, also chime in with what you like about TEA (and how it's more than just chatting about gear).

Here's a quick insertion point on the discussion (but feel free to read back, if you want): https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/time-to-split-up-the-tm-categories/msg2435178/#msg2435178

Fun fact: Did you know that this thread has 10% of total posts in the TE forum? (mind blown)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 05:54:26 pm by bitseeker »
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #31974 on: May 25, 2019, 05:53:50 pm »

nA too.

ROFL! Oh, you guys crack me up.

I also have almost the full range of display technologies across various test gear (no dekatron nor NIMO, yet).

tggzzz, that is a very nice Nixie DMM. >:D
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf