Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14925138 times)

Carl_Smith and 213 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #32000 on: May 26, 2019, 12:06:12 am »
Thanks for carrying forward with this; it's quite illuminating re: the P6100 probes... but I find myself wondering, given the difficulties of sampling in the 1nS neighborhood, how much of the distortion we're seeing is digital artifact...?

Technically the scope I'm using (Lecroy DDA-110 / LC574) has a rise time of 0.35nS (1Ghz). It's more than enough to test the poor little P6100 probe. But noise is minimal results are repeatable. Just compare the Kuman to the JinHao waveform, it's identical. Could do a run with averaging if you prefer but the overall distortion are going to be the same.
What's the nominal bit depth when sampling at that speed? I'll admit I'm ignorant of probably at least the last decade of development in DSO tech, but your traces did appear a bit clipped in both axes right around the transition regions; usually a sign that acquisition is operating right at the limits of resolution, which is why I asked.

On the other hand, it's entirely possible I'm misinterpreting what I see in the waveform based on outdated experience and seeing artifact where it isn't.  :-// I mean yeah, still an apples-to apples comparison; the Tek probes and that homebrew FET probe are very clearly better. Just not sure how much better in real-world application.

mnem
Everybody needs something to believe in; I believe I'm gonna go take a nap.

Honestly, it really depends on how quantitative you want to be with your approach. For qualitative "that looks about right", you probably don't need high end probes.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #32001 on: May 26, 2019, 12:15:22 am »
Remember this scope? RCA WO-505A. Bought it on local CL last Summer. Paid $40 USD for it. It worked, sort of. Somewhat flaky and unstable. First order of business was to recap the power supply. It is a separate board so it should have been real easy. Got it done and lost horizontal sweep. Just a dot on the CRT. Checked over my work several times and found nothing wrong. So went searching for a manual/schematic and came up empty except for this place called “Vintage Manuals”. For $24 USD and $6 USD shipping they would send me a service manual. No thank you. So the scope went into the TEA closet.

Fast forward to now. Resumed search for a manual. Still no dice except for Vintage Manuals. Broke down and bought it. Should be here next week. Will go on the project list after the Heath OL-1 is done.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #32002 on: May 26, 2019, 12:28:07 am »
Not strictly Test Equipment, but certainly related to TEA repairs, I purchased this Hitachi/Metabo power screwdriver on Shahriar's endorsement in one of the recent Signal Path episodes: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L78Y72J/

Looking forward to trying it. Unlike a lot of others, it has a very large selection of clutch settings down to very low torque so it should make disassembly and reassembly of test gear much easier.

That thing is a effing abortion... I can see at least 6 glaring noob engineer "I'm an imbecile who doesn't actually use tools" design mistakes... and why the FUCK is the motor/gearhead portion so big/long? It could literally be HALF that size and do the job.  |O

mnem
*running away before the yuckyputz gets all over me*
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 12:37:28 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #32003 on: May 26, 2019, 12:28:56 am »
Today a old switch that was used to toggle power to a 230V sunoy fan for fume extraction blowed .... this type of switch is very old and due to low separation between Neutral and Phase when swapping the button it arced, RCD tripped

Holy smokes, you're not kidding about it being an old switch. I'm surprised you were able to keep it going this long.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #32004 on: May 26, 2019, 12:37:40 am »
Damn it! Package from Mouser arrived at my local UPS hub this morning. And that's where it will sit until Tuesday. Rats!  :rant:

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #32005 on: May 26, 2019, 12:40:23 am »
Not strictly Test Equipment, but certainly related to TEA repairs, I purchased this Hitachi/Metabo power screwdriver on Shahriar's endorsement in one of the recent Signal Path episodes: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L78Y72J/

Looking forward to trying it. Unlike a lot of others, it has a very large selection of clutch settings down to very low torque so it should make disassembly and reassembly of test gear much easier.

That thing is a effing abortion... I can see at least 6 glaring noob engineer "I'm an imbecile who doesn't actually use tools" design mistakes... and why the FUCK is the motor/gearhead portion so big/long? It could literally be HALF that size and do the job.  |O

mnem

Don't hold back. Tell us what you REALLY think.  :P :-DD

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #32006 on: May 26, 2019, 12:40:46 am »
Damn it! Package from Mouser arrived at my local UPS hub this morning. And that's where it will sit until Tuesday. Rats!  :rant:

Yea, I hate it when that happens!  :palm:
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32007 on: May 26, 2019, 12:40:49 am »

And of course, they didn't update until after closing time, so you can't go pick it up, right?

mnem
*FED-UPS Strikes Again*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #32008 on: May 26, 2019, 12:43:56 am »

And of course, they didn't update until after closing time, so you can't go pick it up, right?

mnem
*FED-UPS Strikes Again*

Early this morning when I last checked it was still in Syracuse. Didn't check again until now. Yes, they are closed.  |O

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32009 on: May 26, 2019, 01:08:47 am »
What's the nominal bit depth when sampling at that speed? I'll admit I'm ignorant of probably at least the last decade of development in DSO tech, but your traces did appear a bit clipped in both axes right around the transition regions; usually a sign that acquisition is operating right at the limits of resolution, which is why I asked.

On the other hand, it's entirely possible I'm misinterpreting what I see in the waveform based on outdated experience and seeing artifact where it isn't.  :-// I mean yeah, still an apples-to apples comparison; the Tek probes and that homebrew FET probe are very clearly better. Just not sure how much better in real-world application.

mnem
Everybody needs something to believe in; I believe I'm gonna go take a nap.

The scope is 8bits but I'm not sure of the effective enob. So, I did couple more captures just for you  :)

First one is at 4GS/s Dot mode, RAW on top (Green), Averaged at the bottom. Each dot is a different capture.

Now same scenario but with linear interpolation between the dots.

And last I increased capture rate to 10GS/s (Interleaved). So with higher capture rate the waveform is smoother, but still overall the same thing.

So averaging and increasing capture rate definitely help with the noise.

A different way of visualizing the data is the “analog” or “color” mode. Also give an impression of smoothness but the underlying data is the same. On my side I prefer linear interpolation.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 01:10:24 am by Kosmic »

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32010 on: May 26, 2019, 01:17:36 am »
That's exactly what I was expecting to see in the rise & fall regions; but man, the transition areas have a LOT more DP density than I was expecting. I have NO PROBLEM accepting that plot as a reasonable approximation of the actual signal with very little artifacting.  :-+

mnem
Dayumm.

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32011 on: May 26, 2019, 01:37:03 am »

Look like it's in really good shape. I like the front panel!

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #32012 on: May 26, 2019, 02:16:44 am »

mnem

It's honestly not as big as the pictures make it seem. Feels pretty nice in the hand.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32013 on: May 26, 2019, 03:08:58 am »
I found a picture of the one I owned one a few years back which I paid a £10 for which I thoroughly regret selling if I'm honest:

Yep, I know the feeling. It's a risk we take when feeding the TEA monster.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32014 on: May 26, 2019, 03:14:31 am »
Remember this scope? RCA WO-505A. Bought it on local CL last Summer. Paid $40 USD for it. It worked, sort of. Somewhat flaky and unstable. First order of business was to recap the power supply. It is a separate board so it should have been real easy. Got it done and lost horizontal sweep. Just a dot on the CRT. Checked over my work several times and found nothing wrong. So went searching for a manual/schematic and came up empty except for this place called “Vintage Manuals”. For $24 USD and $6 USD shipping they would send me a service manual. No thank you. So the scope went into the TEA closet.

Fast forward to now. Resumed search for a manual. Still no dice except for Vintage Manuals. Broke down and bought it. Should be here next week. Will go on the project list after the Heath OL-1 is done.

Actually, I don't remember it, but I like it. Very shiny. If Power Designs made scopes, they might look like that one. I think PD used the same binding posts.

Oh, no. Must stop thinking about such things.

I shall look forward to its resurrection.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 03:16:16 am by bitseeker »

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #32015 on: May 26, 2019, 04:13:30 am »
I did promise no new HP logos for a day or two but adding a Tek one is different  ;) Needs a slightly deeper engrave due to the finer detail on the next one but overall it works. Holding up the HP one is the slabbed Laser Cut Acrylic base, lots of benifits over the 3DP in this case, faster, heavier and it opens up different material options such as timber etc.

The SVG of the Logo I made is in the Zip if anyone wants to use it elsewhere.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, mnementh, Ero-Shan, 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32016 on: May 26, 2019, 04:19:08 am »
So cool. If you decide to make lots of these, samples need to show up in Dave's mailbag. ;)

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32017 on: May 26, 2019, 05:09:37 am »

mnem
It's honestly not as big as the pictures make it seem. Feels pretty nice in the hand.

meh. I’ve bought and got rid of dozens just like it; the whole design is a recycled clusterfuck from years gone by.

Black & Decker tried the flip-out grip decades ago; they abandoned it because they got reamed by the customers over the built-in pinch points that make the design a blood-blister factory.

The rocker paddle on the side means it’s only really good in screwdriver mode; in pistol mode for righties it’s inconvenient, for lefties it’s unusable.

Proprietary single-cell packs in this day & age? 18650 cells and chargers are cheap and more common than D cells anymore.

And single-cell means slow as flurp; probably 450-550 RPM.

That pregnant motor/gearbox section tells me that even though they’re charging “real tool” prices, they couldn’t be arsed to actually design a new tool; they just made a flip-out shell for some discontinued drill gearbox and 1S-voltage motor.

That thing is no more than a Versa-Pack B&D electric screwdriver in Hitachi green.   :P

mnem
meh and a half.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #32018 on: May 26, 2019, 05:14:09 am »
I did promise no new HP logos for a day or two but adding a Tek one is different  ;) Needs a slightly deeper engrave due to the finer detail on the next one but overall it works. Holding up the HP one is the slabbed Laser Cut Acrylic base, lots of benifits over the 3DP in this case, faster, heavier and it opens up different material options such as timber etc.

Cool! I want one. 

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32019 on: May 26, 2019, 05:23:41 am »
Urrrrggghh.

This is not good. I accidentally plugged my old spinning rust drive into an AHCI SATA port; obviously it’s didn’t boot but ever since it’s been flaky. Doesn’t resume from sleep properly, showing up as a Samsung Evo 850 SSD due to wrong driver evidently. Maybe a cross-connected file, I dunno.

Uninstalled the drive to force reinstall of the correct driver and running a CHKDSK /R; has been stuck at 17% for however the eff long it took me to tap out that last post and this one on my iPad.  :palm:

I’m going to bed.

mnem
 |O
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 01:03:46 pm by mnementh »

• Super Contributor

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #32021 on: May 26, 2019, 06:39:01 am »
My 'conceit' re HP 3400A has come back to bite me!
I hadn't used it for a long time, so I plugged it in and the meter pegged - typically a fault in one of the pair of thermocouples. Fortunately the parts unit's t-couples / board were working fine - so just a board shuffle - I have managed to find some NOS of 2 matched pairs of t-couples for not crazy money - so will have a go at fixing it - they seem to be a common failure in this unit.

Re the Hitachi driver unit - I have one -happy with it - good for when you have to take out 50 screws in plastic - the torque control quite nice - but I use hand screwdrivers almost all the time really - biological torque control and no batteries! Re-charging much more fun!
Rob
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #32022 on: May 26, 2019, 07:04:28 am »
Just saw this (some NOS Tek CRTs): https://www.eevblog.com/forum/buysellwanted/fs-new-in-box-old-tektronix-crts/

By virtue of my parts mules I already have spare CRT's for 465B and 2430. What I didn't realize is the 2430 and 2465 use the same CRT. I'll have to check that. If yes, then both the 2465's are covered too.

The 7603 CRT. I'll have to check and see if my military 7603N takes the same CRT. I assume it does but you know what happens when you ass-u-me.  :-DD

Now if he had a spare 7904 CRT I'd definitely be talking to him.  :-/O

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #32023 on: May 26, 2019, 07:08:29 am »

Cool! I want one.

Can be done. Just sorting out some full 8x4 sheets of extra material. But flatpack, Kit of fasteners and brass feet, five 3mm slabs of translucent grey for the base, display panel of choice, 100mm of white 5050 (because I have it). Circa $25 USD posted worldwide likely. Could slip a second one in the same parcel for around $15 extra.

Leaning toward making them with a single sided PCB to a micro USB over the 12V tape and wire out (bodgey ;) ) in the slightly longer term for general use but most of us nerdy mob will have plenty of old 12v wallwarts laying around so it save a $ and uses up trash.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #32024 on: May 26, 2019, 07:18:37 am »

Cool! I want one.

Can be done. Just sorting out some full 8x4 sheets of extra material. But flatpack, Kit of fasteners and brass feet, five 3mm slabs of translucent grey for the base, display panel of choice, 100mm of white 5050 (because I have it). Circa $25 USD posted worldwide likely. Could slip a second one in the same parcel for around $15 extra.

Leaning toward making them with a single sided PCB to a micro USB over the 12V tape and wire out (bodgey ;) ) in the slightly longer term for general use but most of us nerdy mob will have plenty of old 12v wallwarts laying around so it save a $ and uses up trash.

Well let me know when you sort out the total cost via PM and I'll get the cash (USPS money order) in route to you pronto.  :-+ Obviously I want to Tek logo.  :-DD And just one is fine.

The following users thanked this post: beanflying

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf